Scottish Geocachers Days Out

PS Avon Skin So Soft does work - you can see the midgies hovering about a foot away from your face after applying it. However, it seems that you need to reapply it regularly as the effect wears off.

Either that, or go for Rollku's strategy of wearing a midgie net - however you may end up looking like an alien being. Go on HH - post the photo that you took of him!

Once everyone has logged the event I will do a log and post it there.

Roolku that gives you some time to bribe me not to post the picture :):):lol:

Thanks to everyone who came to the event, especially the people that came up from the South of England.

It has now been mentioned a few times (some politely, some not so politely) about people being left behind at the bottom.

The reason for this I can only blame myself, for 2 reasons -

1. There was 2 carparks near the co-ordinates most people went to the carpark at the main road.

2. The way that I described the timings obviously caused confusion. As we had left at 8:45. I will make sure that in the future there is only one time displayed.

I sincerely hope that the mix up has not ruined your trip.

Please accept my sincere apologies.

:):lol::lol: SORRY :):):)

Well I arrived home eventually in Cornwall at 2:30 on Tuesday morning.

Am I the only one who didn't suffer with midge bites?? Not one bite. :) .

I used some repellent but not as much as the others who seemed to be plastering themselves. Perhaps its something in the cornish tapwater that makes me immune.

Many thanks to HH for organising what was an excellent event. It was great to meet up with all the scottish cachers. I have a couple of good pictures of us all at the top which I will e-mail to HH later to post werether.

Don't make the next one too soon as I will have to save the pennies up first. :)

Might as well try to get this thread up to 7,000 views!

I'm hoping that one or more who attended this event would like to write something about it for www.geocachingtoday.com. If noone wants to do an overall piece, then I could try to put together contributions of a paragraph or two from the different groups.

Please let me know if you would like to be involved. Many thanks.

It has now been mentioned a few times (some politely, some not so politely) about people being left behind at the bottom.

I sincerely hope that the mix up has not ruined your trip.

The day was brilliant, well organised and everybody had a great time. Who was impolite - I'll see to them!! No mix up so therefore no problem.

Thanks for waiting so long at the top in the rain - but I still wanted that cup of freshly brewed tea!!!! :o

Edited by HighlandNick
It was a very special moment for me when I met you and the others at the Waterfall & Ruin....I'm glad to see you all got home safely :P

Likewise :D.

Great photos John, shame you all left early and missed the glorious sunshine at the top later on :D (not really of course)

Own up now.

How many of us are still suffering from that trip up the Ben.

Me - My shoulder hurts, my knee hurts, my thighs hurt, my toes hurt. Strangely, it's the downhill muscles that are affected more than the uphill muscles. Going downstairs first thing in the morning is a nightmare.

Own up now.

Me - My shoulder hurts, my knee hurts, my thighs hurt, my toes hurt. Strangely, it's the downhill muscles that are affected more than the uphill muscles. Going downstairs first thing in the morning is a nightmare.

I believe that the down hill pains are because gravity increases the impact on your movements so your joints and muscles recieve more stress. Climbing uphill is more tiring because you are fighting against gravity but you dont get the same impacts.

I believe that the down hill pains are because gravity increases the impact on your movements so your joints and muscles recieve more stress. Climbing uphill is more tiring because you are fighting against gravity but you dont get the same impacts.

Actually , the technical explanation is that the downhill pains are directly proportional to the number of hogmanays celebrated :P

Own up now.

My calf muscles are still a mite tender but the rest of me seems to have recovered remarkably well :P:D

The one or two midge bites that I managed to get have now all but disappeared too. Must be all the anti-histamines that I've swallowed in the last week.

My best ever investment was in a couple of lightweight walking poles - made the going down bit half as difficult I reckon and easy on the knees.

I was glad I was not working on Monday, that's for sure and could take it easy, but was forced to play tennis yesterday - a bit stiff, but maybe yet more exercise was a good cure.

My best ever investment was in a couple of lightweight walking poles - made the going down bit half as difficult I reckon and easy on the knees.

I always wondered what a pair of ski poles could do for you on a walk! B)

We live on the edge of a popular wooded walk in south Derbyshire and the amount of times I see folks with these (and fully kitted up with leg garters and a map pocket) and I feel like shouting out the window "ITS FLAT OUT THERE YOU KNOW" or "WHERE'S YOUR SKIS!" B)

Just seen allieballie - those midgie bites even 4 days later are something else! Poor thing!

I've had contributions for a write up of the event from Ullium and from Pharisee, which is great and thank you to both. A little bit from the mad Devon/Cornwall crowd would be great - loud hint hint.

Edited by Firth of Forth

I got home 11:30pm Sunday night, up again at 4am Monday morning for a 5am start. Mail seemed to be a bit heavier as I went out the office door for a 4 hour walk with a 16kg pouch on my back. I think because I do a lot of walking at work I havnt had a single pain. I'm off back up thon brae in two weeks time to watch the mountain race.

I'm green with envy.

I'd love to have done the option 2 thing. Glen Coe, Rannoch Moor and Glen Etive are truly magical places. The quality of light there has to be seen to be appreciated. It is constantly changing and has a luminosity which I've never seen anywhere else in the world.

Sure, the choice of week/month was lousy with respect to the predictable midgies. It's hard to think of a worse time of year than mid-August! Nevertheless, I really wish I'd been able to join in the fun. Midgie nets may look ridiculous, but they are very effective.

Once we have the first frost (the Autumn Equinox is barely four weeks away) the midge popoulation will be decimated and the Highlands will once again become fit for human habitation and geocaching.

I'll be very happy to do the car sharing thing for a weekend jolly to nab a dozen or so caches in that wonderful area. It's not a minibash or even a microbash, just a good weekend of caching in a lovely part of the world.

:)  :)

Bit late, but thanks to all for a great weekend. hopefully we might make another mad journey up north and over the border soon.

Thanks again

Douglouse

:P

Well... since the 1st SGDO at Ben Nevis/Glen Coe last August, there have been two others:

Water of Leith Walkway in Edinburgh and

Jocks Road in Angus.

The next and 4th SGDO is a child-friendly affair:

Ratho Park just to the West of Edinburgh, on February 26th.

But the next one is much more ambitious, and is a whole weekend event:

Isle of Bute, which promises to be a busy fun-filled caching weekend during the first weekend in April. Bute boasts 18 Billy Twigger caches, 8 of which are on the 'West Island Way' geohike.

Time to start planning a trip North!! :):D

Edited by Firth of Forth