Underwater Cache

I've spent some time devising an underwater cache that is primarily made of a military Mortar Canister. The canister is waterproof, and will satisfy the needs of any standard tradiational cache. What i've been toying with is an idea to make this cache bouyed underwater at my favorite cliff diving spot. What i've got so far is an idea to find some sort of netting around the cache that be sturdy enough to not corrode in 3 monthes, or be rotted away with a gradual current. (Something like some some solid steel line will due fine for the 3month stint of the cache). Then, i plan to tether this cache to some sort of stationary anchor in the water. (like a rock with the same metal netting surrounding it). i'd connect the two with a couple carabiners or a 'D' hooks set-up. this whole contraption would be about 15ft into the water, and the cacher would have to dive in and unhook the Mortar Canister that would be floading in the water. The cacher would ideally then find a dry spot on the rocks nearby to log the cache. My only concern is how the log would stay dry with all the water around, and would condenstation from the cacher get caught inside the cannister.

If anybody has followed this description, then please send me feedback as i'm in need of it. my current concerns are

~Condensation

~Muggles (As Always)

~Are Goggles considered 'Special Equipment" thus disqualifying this cache

~Would anybody wanna do this cache?

Thanks for your TIME! TEam big Geeks Rules!

~BigGeekJimbeau, Reno NV

To solve the wet log problem, make a log out of National Geographic Adventure Paper. Its totally waterproof.

Why do you need netting around the cache? Don't undersand that. WHy not just a length of wire, or rope anchored to a rock, or cinder block with a carabiner at the end, so it can easily be removed and replaced?

Edited by briansnat

I think you'd have a heck of a time getting the finders to re-attach the cannister. Given the positive bouyancy and the fact that they'd need to dive back down to the very bottom to retrieve the cable. My bet is it'd be set adrift the first time a noob snorkeler bobbed up for air.

Why not just take it to the next level and make it a scuba cache.? Have all the contents scuba related (tank bangers, slates, octo holders etc.). Use a slate for the logbook and condensation be damned.

Regardless of how waterproof a cache appears nothing really is. Eventually there will be water inside that cache container. Even if the box held up and remained waterproof the cachers are going to mess up and get water inside. It always happens.

Sooooo

As brian said, make it a scuba cache. Use a diver slate, items that can get wet and your maintenance will be almost zero.

I'm planning on placing a cache in a few weeks. It's a Pelican micro box.

db_pelican_micro_1040.jpg

I'm going to place it on a tidal flat, where it will be submerged in 3'-8' of water half the time and dry half the time. I have prepared 6' of nylon cord tied to a plastic clasp (like on a backpack flap) along with a fishing float so the cache can be removed. I'll tie one end of the cord to a large rock or brick (need to worry about wave action as well as positive buoyancy).

We'll see how long it lasts before it gets muggled.

I'm planning on placing a cache in a few weeks. It's a Pelican micro box.

db_pelican_micro_1040.jpg

I'm going to place it on a tidal flat, where it will be submerged in 3'-8' of water half the time and dry half the time. I have prepared 6' of nylon cord tied to a plastic clasp (like on a backpack flap) along with a fishing float so the cache can be removed. I'll tie one end of the cord to a large rock or brick (need to worry about wave action as well as positive buoyancy).

We'll see how long it lasts before it gets muggled.

Pelican boxes are designed to keep things dry for a period of time, not ALL the time... may want to be a bit proactive and use waterproof paper! I'll bet that kind of exposure extreme (wet, then dry, then sunny, then wet again) will certainly make short work of the seal.

I was talking to a local cacher yesterday about placing a snorkel or scuba cache. I'll say it again -- go ahead and count on it getting wet! Stock it with things that can handle being underwater and won't corrode (much).

Just tryin' to help, but may be restating what you already know. <_<

I'll say it again -- go ahead and count on it getting wet! Stock it with things that can handle being underwater and won't corrode (much).

Just tryin' to help, but may be restating what you already know. <_<

Yeah, I figured things would get soggy in there, and I plan on adding a caution in the cache page not to leave any metal or paper trade items because of corrosion.

I laminated the "You've found it" note.

Logitech_ClickSmart_420_002_-_Adjusted.JPG

Liberty Bay Resort Cache

This cache was constructed out of PVC pipe and has an inner "highly water resistant" container. It is simply a peanut butter plastic jar with a cork-lined lid. So far it has performed quite well in the tide flats in Washington State with very little, if any water getting inside the inner container. This cache is weighted with a 6# lead weight and has a small floating buoy for locating and lifting the cache.

Good luck with your cache!

This cache was constructed out of PVC pipe and has an inner "highly water resistant" container. It is simply a peanut butter plastic jar with a cork-lined lid. So far it has performed quite well in the tide flats in Washington State with very little, if any water getting inside the inner container. This cache is weighted with a 6# lead weight and has a small floating buoy for locating and lifting the cache.

Excellent idea! (thumping skull) A simpler inner container never occured to me, LOL.

This cache was constructed out of PVC pipe and has an inner "highly water resistant" container.  It is simply a peanut butter plastic jar with a cork-lined lid.  So far it has performed quite well in the tide flats in Washington State with very little, if any water getting inside the inner container.  This cache is weighted with a 6# lead weight and has a small floating buoy for locating and lifting the cache.

Excellent idea! (thumping skull) A simpler inner container never occured to me, LOL.

water will still get in, from drippy cachers if nothing else...I use that waterproof paper for logs, put everything in ziplocks (the heavier freezerweight ones), and try to avoid stuff that will decompose if it gets wet.

nfa

This cache was constructed out of PVC pipe and has an inner "highly water resistant" container.  It is simply a peanut butter plastic jar with a cork-lined lid.  So far it has performed quite well in the tide flats in Washington State with very little, if any water getting inside the inner container.  This cache is weighted with a 6# lead weight and has a small floating buoy for locating and lifting the cache.

Yeah, the PVC pipe takes a lot of the abuse from the tide throwing it into the rocks and it does keep out some of the water thus minimizing the pressure on the inner container. So far the combination is working great!

Of course I've also got everything inside the cache in little plastic baggies... another layer of protection! <_<

This was designed as a scuba cache Neptune's Trident. I used a clear diver's dry box anchored by a stainless steel cable to a two pound dive weight. Instructions for finding the underwater WP were very explicit in the cache description. Inside the clear box is an engraved piece of plastic with coordinates to the land portion of the cache located a short distance away. A scubacacher thus doesn't even have to open the underwater box to determine the location of the final land cache. The land cache always stays dry. The four finders have all said that the finding the land cache was kind of anticlimatic after doing the scuba portion. I'm working on my next scuba cache right now.

Edited by MedicOne