Save Me From Ups

zjo1813

Unless you gave them permission to do a unsigned drop they must get a signature. Ask to see it.

In my experience, this is rarely enforced in some locations, strictly enforced in others. Most of the packages I currently receive from UPS simply appear at the doorstep with a ring of the doorbell. By the time I open it, the delivery guy is getting back into the truck. I have never actually requested a non-signature delivery, but ever since moving to Tallahassee, I've never had to sign for anything, either.

At my apartment in Maryland, it was another matter entirely. About half of the time, even if I left a note requesting them to leave the package at the neighbor's place or the door, they would drop it in the apartment office instead. It was an extra step to receive an eagerly-awaited package (I got off work at 8 PM and would have to wait until the next morning to retrieve it), but at least I knew it would be left in a "safe" location.

They normally leave a post-it note on your door, letting you know if they left the package at another location, or if they were unable to deliver without a sig. You can then sign the back of the post it and they will make a second attempt at delivery.

My UPS guy normally just knocks and drops. Sometimes it must be a substitute guy though, and then I come home to a post-it instead of a package. I HATE when that happens.

UPS and even the Postman sometimes leave packages too big for my rural mega-mailbox in one of the abandoned cars in the front yard--sometimes I don't find them for months afterward, if I'm scavaging for parts--and in the summer, I lose track of where the cars are because of the weeds, so then they have to throw them on the porch. These guys are all scared to death of the dogs...

UPS and even the Postman sometimes leave packages too big for my rural mega-mailbox in one of the abandoned cars in the front yard--sometimes I don't find them for months afterward, if I'm scavaging for parts--and in the summer, I lose track of where the cars are because of the weeds, so then they have to throw them on the porch. These guys are all scared to death of the dogs...

:unsure::o I've had UPS leave them in the old pickup in the driveway before (instead of just dumping on the front step). Which is good and bad, but kinda aggrivating when your expecting a package and find it hidden somewhere by mistake (hey maybe the ups guys would be good at geocaching? :) ). I've learned that if it doesn't show up within about a week of when it should, to go easter egg hunting and check the back door, unlocked vechicals, walkway to the drive, etc.

As for the the actual question. You have a tracking number, or why do you thinks been delivered? All the of the suggestions sound good. If there are others nearby by that may have collected the package in your stead, check with them. If not start calling ups (and probably whatever machine that will answer) and see what they say.

Unless you gave them permission to do a unsigned drop they must get a signature. Ask to see it.

Being employed by UPS, let me say that unless the package states on the label "signature required" then proper procedure is to driver release the package in an area not seen from the road but where the consignee will find it. If signature is required then an attempt is made, or a delivery notice is left which states approximate time another attempt will be made tomorrow. After three attempts the package is returned to shipper.

If delivery is to an apartment, then an alternate delivery is attempted to a neighbor with a delivery notice stating as such, OR delivery is made to the office.

Driver release is never to be made to an apt. or business.

track the pkg and/or call the local ups and ASK TO SPEAK WITH THE CENTER MANAGER to see exactly where the problem is. I assure you, he will bend over backwards to find your package. The drivers are held accountable for everything and should remember the attempt (if it was recent).

Squeeky wheel gets the grease.

:):unsure:  I've had UPS leave them in the old pickup in the driveway before (instead of just dumping on the front step).

I've learned that if it doesn't show up within about a week of when it should, to go easter egg hunting and check the back door, unlocked vechicals, walkway to the drive, etc.

That's funny....or awful....or awfully funny.

I wouldn't appreciate it too much. How does he expect you to know he left a package? A postal carrier who likes to play hide and seek. Wow.

My deliveries land on my front step unless it's raining, then I leave a note asking them to leave it under the picnic table on the patio which I cover with a tarp ahead of time.

But for the original poster, definitely contact UPS. Although, I recently received a postcard from UPS telling me a package could not be delivered due to an incomplete/incorrect address. Huh? :o Somehow the mailman was able to find my address to deliver the postcard, on which UPS had typed my address.

So....UPS DID have my correct address and USPS was able to deliver the postcard, but somehow the man in brown couldn't find my front door.

Package was delivered the next day.

Being employed by UPS, let me say that unless the package states on the label "signature required" then proper procedure is to driver release the package in an area not seen from the road but where the consignee will find it.

Really? Then why does the local UPS always leave packages on my FRONT porch, in full view of the street? Sometimes multiple LARGE boxes.....I do have a side porch, that's enclosed, where they could leave the packages, out of sight, but they never walk the exta 20 steps........

Now FedEx, on the other hand, we had to fax them a form, that we signed, releasing them from liability, if they left a package, without us there to sign for it.......UPS never asked, they always just left stuff......

I'm in Canada and received a PDA from UPS to go "paperless caching". They just dropped it on the front step! I was somewhat shocked to come home after work to see my brand new electronic toy sitting out for anyone to grab. I didn't authorize an unsigned drop. Just glad it didn't grow legs and walk away! :unsure:

Being employed by UPS, let me say that unless the package states on the label "signature required" then proper procedure is to driver release the package in an area not seen from the road but where the consignee will find it.

Really? Then why does the local UPS always leave packages on my FRONT porch, in full view of the street? Sometimes multiple LARGE boxes.....I do have a side porch, that's enclosed, where they could leave the packages, out of sight, but they never walk the exta 20 steps........

Now FedEx, on the other hand, we had to fax them a form, that we signed, releasing them from liability, if they left a package, without us there to sign for it.......UPS never asked, they always just left stuff......

A side porch is perfect... Enclosed,sheltered, out of weather,unseen from street and where you should easily find it!

Most drivers have over 150 delivery stops a day. If he waste 30 seconds on just 120 of those stops, there goes his lunch hour. that's why many drivers drop and go. Anything to save 8, 10, 12 seconds or in your case steps. Christmas season sees delivery stops rise to 250+.

some start to fill out delivery notice BEFORE they even reach the door in anticipation you not being there.

Still... thats not an excuse for poor service.

I also once had a package delivered in which the sender requested a delivery confirmation. They received confirmation that the package had delivered -- I had to let the person that ALL that arrived was the PACKAGE! The contents had been ripped out and the post office put the mailed in one of their "oops -- sorry" plastic envelopes and then delivered it to me sans contents. Gee, thanks for the package.... :unsure:

But all was well in the end... :o

Bec

Had a ham radio delivered to me once. At least UPS claimed it had been delivered and they had the address and signature to prove it. Problem was that the address they delivered to was not the one on the package and was half-way across town. The sender took one look at their documentation and shipped me another one. I presume he had a long chat with the UPS folks. It is so bad here that I finally started shipping everything to where my wife works. At least I can get business delivery rather than residential delivery that way. It's a small office so everybody knows the delivery folks.

I live at 6 OAKwood Trail. Several blocks away is 6 DOGwood Trail. At least a half a dozen times I've received a phone call from the resident of 6 DOGwood to come and pick up a package that was addressed to me at 6 OAKwood, but left at her house :unsure:. Thank goodness she's honest, or she could have accumulated a lot of nice stuff by now, for free.

And worse than that, I live in NJ. I once received a letter addressed to someone I never heard of who lived on a Oakwood STREET in ALBANY NY. :o

Edited by briansnat

We used to live in a neighborhood whose main road was Wildwood drive. Wildwood was actually a loop, so there was a North, South, East, and West Wildwood. The house numbers repeated on the north/south and east/west sides of the loop!

Yes, that was confusing.

UPS used to be pretty good here, and would leave things on the deck in the back. Course, at times, I'd forget I had a package that was supposed to be delivered, and since the driver that delivers to me never seems to leave notices, the package could sit there for a couple days. Lately though, they just leave it sitting on the front porch, generally in plain view (although I've had it once hidden behind a couple of bags of dirt, and the only reason *I* noticed it was I happened to look at the porch as I backed out of the garage).

FedEx won't leave anything, period. Although in general on a fedex package I can call and get it held at the delivery office for me to pick up. UPS won't do that. I have mixed feelings on them leaving stuff. Sure, it's a lot more convenient, but for anything valuable I've gotten into a habit of making sure I'm home for the delivery (thankfully, work's flexible enough I can do that).

But you better believe that if I had a package listed as delivered and I couldn't find it, I'd be on the phone to ups immediately asking what the story is.

UPS used to be pretty good here, and would leave things on the deck in the back. Course, at times, I'd forget I had a package that was supposed to be delivered, and since the driver that delivers to me never seems to leave notices, the package could sit there for a couple days. Lately though, they just leave it sitting on the front porch, generally in plain view (although I've had it once hidden behind a couple of bags of dirt, and the only reason *I* noticed it was I happened to look at the porch as I backed out of the garage).

I ordered some ammo boxes and they arrived last week. I got home and was wondering what my garbage can was doing on my porch. Turned out that the UPS guy used it to hide the packages. But usually, they are just sitting on the porch for anybody to take.

I'm no lawyer, and I'm sure that this is covered in the fine print somewhere, but it would seem to me that unless UPS has a signaure proving that YOU physically received the package, or authorized an unattended drop, that they (UPS) would be liable for a missing package.

I'm in Canada and received a PDA from UPS to go "paperless caching". They just dropped it on the front step! I was somewhat shocked to come home after work to see my brand new electronic toy sitting out for anyone to grab. I didn't authorize an unsigned drop. Just glad it didn't grow legs and walk away! :o

Have you got your "Brokerage" bill yet? Yikes :unsure: I got my first shipment by UPS from the states last fall - signed for it and thought that was the end of it. A couple of months later I got a notice from a collection agency for the brokerage fees ($35) on a $50 item. A couple of weeks later the actual bill from UPS finally arrived. Their accounts receivable dept is totally screwed up.

I will never use UPS again and if they're the only method available I won't be buying from that vendor.

Not necessarily true. Some vendors default dropship without signature. Happens to me all the time. Fortunately, my porch is well camoflaged with foliage and I'm on a quiet cul-de-sac.

Call the company that shipped it. Indicate that you have not recieved the package. If they are unwilling to take the matter to UPS, file a dispute with your credit card company. Sooner or later UPS will need to show that you actually signed for it. Usually once they see the driver signed off on it, it should be taken care of.