Cachemate 3.5

Brian,

I've been thinking about the way I use CacheMate with the data I get from GC.com, et. al. Instead of running CMConvert and generating a PDB file that is inserted into the install queue, how about have a list of GPX files in known locations that are kept in sync using a conduit? Similar to the way that Docs to Go works.

Just thinking out loud.

-E

Yup.  Just separate the files with commas on the command line.  It's in the Manual.html file :mad:

i dont see that file, but thanks for the answer.

If you downloaded it from the Smittyware site, then it should be there. Clyde may or may not be including it with the copy of that program that he embeds, though. I've yet to try GSAK, so I wouldn't know B)

I've been thinking about the way I use CacheMate with the data I get from GC.com, et. al.  Instead of running CMConvert and generating a PDB file that is inserted into the install queue, how about have a list of GPX files in known locations that are kept in sync using a conduit? Similar to the way that Docs to Go works.

Only problem there is with how different people might use CacheMate and CMConvert... seems like it's a little different with everyone, just about. Besides the fact that the database code in CM doesn't lend itself too well to synchronization (main reason for no real desktop companion aside from a file converter). Not a bad idea in general, though.

If you downloaded it from the Smittyware site, then it should be there. Clyde may or may not be including it with the copy of that program that he embeds, though. I've yet to try GSAK, so I wouldn't know B)

mac user here... i had pilfered it from maccmconvert by JeremyA but had also downloaded the unix version and didn't see it there... it is in the man page, i found that. no manual.html though :mad:

If you downloaded it from the Smittyware site, then it should be there. Clyde may or may not be including it with the copy of that program that he embeds, though. I've yet to try GSAK, so I wouldn't know :mad:

Just for the record:

GSAK includes CMConvert as a sub folder in the install folder of GSAK. In this sub folder is everything that comes with the CMConvert (command line) package, including the Manual.html file and the GNU licenses etc.

After all of my recent frustrations with getting Plucker to work properly, I decided to bite the bullet and try CacheMate. So far I like the speed at which I can get a large GPX file into my palm, but there is one thing I don't understand. Why am I prompted as to what category I want all the newly imported caches to be (found, unfound, etc.)? The GPX file should already contain that information. I am using GASK to generate the file. Thanks, RM

mac user here... i had pilfered it from maccmconvert by JeremyA but had also downloaded the unix version and didn't see it there... it is in the man page, i found that.  no manual.html though :lol:

Doh! My mistake :D

Unlike Mac OS X or any other Unix-ish OS, Windows doesn't do man pages, so I ran it through a program for that build to render it as an HTML file. If you'd rather have that HTML copy, download the Windows command-line build of the program and you'll find it in there.

After all of my recent frustrations with getting Plucker to work properly, I decided to bite the bullet and try CacheMate.  So far I like the speed at which I can get a large GPX file into my palm, but there is one thing I don't understand.  Why am I prompted as to what category I want all the newly imported caches to be (found, unfound, etc.)?  The GPX file should already contain that information.  I am using GASK to generate the file.  Thanks, RM

1) Not everyone uses the predefined categories in CacheMate, or at least not in the way they would seem to be. Some have other categories created to manage their own particular "style" of logging finds, and others categorize by region.

2) That information isn't included in the CacheMate import file, mostly because it's impossible for CMConvert to know about any changes to the CacheMate category list. The idea was that records could be classified using the filters in CMConvert (one of which could separate found and unfound caches based on the GPX info). This was before other programs started to embed CMConvert, like GSAK and MacCMConvert do. It may be possible to do something similar with GSAK.

Edited by Maeglin

2) That information isn't included in the CacheMate import file, mostly because it's impossible for CMConvert to know about any changes to the CacheMate category list. The idea was that records could be classified using the filters in CMConvert (one of which could separate found and unfound caches based on the GPX info). This was before other programs started to embed CMConvert, like GSAK and MacCMConvert do. It may be possible to do something similar with GSAK.

Certainly, you just need to set a GSAK "filter" before doing the export.

The setup (criteria) for filters in GSAK can also be saved, so all you need do is select the required filter from the drop down list before doing the export.

Rocket Man, Palm categories and the found/unfound status from gc.com are very different things. You could have your unfound caches in several different categories on the Palm, depending on your tastes. You could put all micros in a micro category, or all the caches in one city in a category, or whatever you want. You can put found and unfound caches in the same category. Palm categories are very flexible and customizable, and letting the user decide which category to put each addition into is the only way which makes sense to me.

2) That information isn't included in the CacheMate import file, mostly because it's impossible for CMConvert to know about any changes to the CacheMate category list.  The idea was that records could be classified using the filters in CMConvert (one of which could separate found and unfound caches based on the GPX info).  This was before other programs started to embed CMConvert, like GSAK and MacCMConvert do.  It may be possible to do something similar with GSAK.

Certainly, you just need to set a GSAK "filter" before doing the export.

The setup (criteria) for filters in GSAK can also be saved, so all you need do is select the required filter from the drop down list before doing the export.

Let me just make sure I understand what is being said relative to using filters so I don't end up doing things the hard way. If I want my found caches in a category named found and my unfound caches in a category named unfound, I would have to do the following:

1. Filter just my found caches using GSAK or CMConvert.

2. Export the found caches into CacheMate and select the found category when prompted for category.

3. Do step 1 and 2 for unfound caches.

I have one other question also. What is the best way to search for a GC number in the database in CacheMate? I don't see any search options other than the "Nearest Caches" search. The standard search feature of the Palm seems to do the trick, but is that the best way?

Thanks in advance,

Rocket Man

P.S. - I am starting to really like the ease and speed of this program. I used it caching for the first time yesterday and it worked great.

I've been using GSAK and Cachemate for the last week or two and although I really like the combination I'm having a problem that I need help with. Using .gpx based pocket queries I receive all of the caches in NE once a week. I load these into GSAK. Using a series of filters (owned, found, not found) I export .pdb files for my Tungsten T. These are fairly large files ~1MB so I put them on the external card. Once I synch them to the Palm, Cachemate detects them and I import them into the appropriate category. Everything works fine except it looks like Cachemate is having some problems supporting multiple databases on the external card. Only the caches from last database which I imported look correct. Cache entries in all other databases seemed to have "lost" their descriptions and logs (I'm guessing that this is the info kept on the external card vs. the in memory database).

Any one else seeing this issue?

-GO$Rs

What is the best way to search for a GC number in the database in CacheMate?

Use the built-in Palm search feature. Just tap on the Search silkscreen button (looks like a magnifying glass) and write the code you want to search for. When you tap the result, you'll be taken to the cache in Cachemate.

Everything works fine except it looks like Cachemate is having some problems supporting multiple databases on the external card.  Only the caches from last database which I imported look correct.  Cache entries in all other databases seemed to have "lost" their descriptions and logs (I'm guessing that this is the info kept on the external card vs. the in memory database).  Any one else seeing this issue?

Have you tried the menu option to rescan the files on the memory card? The description and logs are left on the memory card and, if it can't find the database where they were for whatever reason, they won't be displayed.

What is the best way to search for a GC number in the database in CacheMate?

Use the built-in Palm search feature. Just tap on the Search silkscreen button (looks like a magnifying glass) and write the code you want to search for. When you tap the result, you'll be taken to the cache in Cachemate.

You can also sort the list view by waypoint, and start entering characters to get it to scroll to the first matching record.

You can also sort the list view by waypoint, and start entering characters to get it to scroll to the first matching record.
I can't get that to work. The list does move, but it seems to jump to random places for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

I can't get that to work. The list does move, but it seems to jump to random places for me. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

The character buffer for scrolling that way clears after a couple seconds of no characters being entered... if you're entering multiple characters slowly, it sees them as separate searches. That and/or incorrect entering/interpretation of Graffiti characters could cause it to do what you're seeing.

The character buffer for scrolling that way clears after a couple seconds of no characters being entered... if you're entering multiple characters slowly, it sees them as separate searches. That and/or incorrect entering/interpretation of Graffiti characters could cause it to do what you're seeing.

I have noticed a problem with this feature also. In particular, whenever I enter an i, k, or t, or x (any letter requiring a second stroke with the stylus) cachemate always takes me to the L's. I have tried repeatedly to make sure that it is not a character entry problem, but I cannot get cachemate to recognize these letters when searching a list no matter what I do. I have not experienced the same problem in any other palm application or in other areas of cachemate. I am running Palm OS v.5.2.1 on a Tungsten E. Anyone else have this problem?

Edited by Geo Leo

That seems to be a common problem in apps not optimized for Grafitti 2. Since all new Palms come with the later version, lots of older apps will need updating. I can't get Cachemate to go to the T's or I's either, no matter how quickly I make the second stroke.

That seems to be a common problem in apps not optimized for Grafitti 2.  Since all new Palms come with the later version, lots of older apps will need updating.  I can't get Cachemate to go to the T's or I's either, no matter how quickly I make the second stroke.

Just did some looking into this...

The source of the problem is the weird way that Graffiti 2 does key events... if it's a 2-stroke character, the character matching the first stroke is sent, followed by a backspace character and then the character for the 2-stroke character. Since I didn't anticipate needing to deal with backspaces with that function, I ignore those and end up getting "lk" instead of "k".

Now that I know what's causing it, I can likely fix it. That'll be part of the next release, which I'll hopefully get some work done on this weekend. You may see some wild scrolling while the "l" is reinterpreted as a "k" (same sort of things with the other characters), but it'll end up in the right place.

Updates:

CacheMate 3.5.2 pretty much catches things up as far as planned changes to that program. The change log has a full list of what's been added and fixed.

CMConvert 1.8.5 improves on the new duplicate resolution in 1.8.4, taking a hint from GSAK (if the file isn't GPX or doesn't have a timestamp in the file, use the last modified time of the file). The additions to PDB auto-install support that I mentioned before aren't in there yet (still figuring that stuff out), but there is an option in the Windows GUI version to disable that feature entirely.

Both of these are currently available on the Smittyware site.

Edited by Maeglin

Very nice! I especially like the option to set the date automatically when marking a cache as found. Any reason why you close to only set the time when you hit done rather when you just hit found? I tried hitting found then leaving it for a while and when I hit done, it didn't record the time.

This is what I think would be ideal for me:

A big button that says "Found" that sets the time. I originally requested the Mark Time button, but if the Found checkbox sets it, I no longer need it there versus the menu.

Usually I type in some quick notes, then leave it open as I often think of other things later. When I'm ready for my next cache, I hit done and search for the next one.

As I see it now, if I do things this way, the time won't be set until I hit done (potentially a while after I actually find the cache) and possibly not at all if palm turns off.

Very nice! I especially like the option to set the date automatically when marking a cache as found.  Any reason why you close to only set the time when you hit done rather when you just hit found? I tried hitting found then leaving it for a while and when I hit done, it didn't record the time.

I lumped the "set time on found" with the category auto-set, which is triggered when the fields in the form are saved back to the database when the Found checkbox is checked and it wasn't the last time the record was saved. The check for that event was already there, so I just added that feature to it.

There are other things, besides tapping Done, that will save the form contents. In fact, I'm not sure at the moment that I can list them all :D If you switch away from the app and switch back, that's another point where it'll be saved.

This is probably a dumb question, but I can't see what the pre-filter by category checkbox does on searches. I assume it optimizes the search under specific circumstances, but in the cases I've tried, the speed seems to be about the same.

The internal Cachemate 3.5.1 help file on the Palm doesn't mention the feature as far as I can tell (The forum search software chokes if I ask it about "pre-filter" and says nothing matches, although I have found at least one reference that it should have caught. Guess the "-" upsets it?

Anyway, can you point me to an explanation of the "pre-filter by category" checkbox?

Thanks for the help,

Jon

Edited by jon & miki

I just recently got a PDA and bought Cachemate. I use Gsak on the PC and export

to the PDA and use Cachemate on the PDA. I really appereciate the effort that you have spent on developing Cachemate. I really like it a lot.

Thanks

Seatrout

How much it helps depends on how you have things organized into categories. When the pre-filtering is turned on, only those records in the specified filter category will be included in the first part of the nearest cache search, otherwise all records in the database are included and the category filter is applied later in the process.

If the search category contains nearly all records in the database, then you won't see much difference. On the other hand, if the search category only covers a fraction of those records, then you will see a speed increase, as there will be fewer records for the other parts of the search process to deal with.

OK, I've read this thread and I've seen the mentions about CMConvert and I'm slightly confused as to why I need this.

Right now, I load the Pocket Query into GSAK, and export the Cachemate PDB file. Then I hotsync the PDB file to PDA and Cachemate lists the caches.

Only problem is, usually the last 5 finds (logs) do not show up in Cachemate. So I've figured out that before I hotsync, I need to launch CMConvert, import the .gpx file and manually choose "show 5 past logs." Then create a new PDB file and name it something different.

I see that I'm doing one too many steps, and that I probably don't even need GSAK, since CMConvert does the same thing.

But I really love Cachemate. Somehow I end up getting everything in there, and it all works out. But I feel like I'm doing too many imports and exports.

Only problem is, usually the last 5 finds (logs) do not show up in Cachemate. So I've figured out that before I hotsync, I need to launch CMConvert, import the .gpx file and manually choose "show 5 past logs." Then create a new PDB file and name it something different.

Last I checked (and someone else can verify this), there is an option in GSAK to do the same thing that the "show past N logs" option does in CMConvert. As far as I know, it's in there with the CacheMate export options. Not being a GSAK user (yet), though, I have no idea how you'd get to that. There are GSAK users that keep up with this thread, though, and there's always the GSAK thread if you want to ask there as well.

Cachegirl, when you do the export, when the dialog comes up, down at the bottom just above the Cancel button, there is a box that says Cache Logs. Put a number in that box higher than zero, and you'll get logs on Cachemate. The default number is sticky, so whatever you put there will be there next time you do an export unless you change it.

Exactly what problem are you having sending to the GPS? I don't have a Sony, but on my Palm I just tap the Ex button, get the Garmin GPS Upload dialog, tell it to go ahead, and the waypoints are sent to my Garmin. The Garmin does have to be set to Garmin protocol, not NMEA, but I assume you already know that.

Exactly what problem are you having sending to the GPS?  I don't have a Sony, but on my Palm I just tap the Ex button, get the Garmin GPS Upload dialog, tell it to go ahead, and the waypoints are sent to my Garmin.  The Garmin does have to be set to Garmin protocol, not NMEA, but I assume you already know that.

Yes, I tap the Ex button, and then I tap "Send Waypoints to GPS". My Venture is set to Garmin protocol, but on the Palm I get an error saying the GPS is not responding. Am I supposed to be able to change the baud rate? It won't let me change it from 4600. I've played with the baud rate in the Cachemate settings too. I assume the baud rate needs to match the GPS. I'm sure it's a setting that I haven't tried yet, and eventually this will work. I'm seriously hoping that it's not my cable, since I just dropped 40 bucks on it. Thanks for your help.

Hate to say it, but it might be the cable... or the fact that it's a Clie you're dealing with. If memory serves, Learned Gerbil has had experience connecting a GPS to a Clie... there's a need to have the cable wired a specific way because of shortcuts taken in the Clie's serial port hardware, as it's only expecting to talk to a PC. I wish I had the link handy, but I don't. You might try searching the forums, though... it's in here somewhere.

As far as the baud rate, that's always 9600 for the Garmin protocol, according to their specification. They say that there's room for changing that, but I haven't seen it documented anywhere.

This is the page you want - PC-Mobile

Service is excellent so I recommend you contact them by email telling them exactly what you have and what you are trying to do so they can ensure you order the right one of their cable combos.

I am very pleased with my Clie SJ to Magellan cable - well made, just the right length, light and reliable.

Edited by Learned Gerbil

Thank you both. I was afraid of that. I'll have to send back my cable to semsons-inc. It is a Sony to Garmin cable, and of course they said it would work. The cable obviously hooks the two devices up, but apparently they won't communicate. That just doesn't make any sense? Why sell a cable if the cable doesn't do what it's supposed to? :P

I just upgraded to the latest and noticed a quirk when I upload waypoints to my Garmin. It seems to add an extra letter to the first of all waypoints (and as a result drop the last letter.) At first I was puzzled, but then I noticed the pattern and noticed that the letter signifies the type of cache.

All in all, I guess I like the feature, but I can't find it documented and I can't find the setting to turn it on and off. What am I missing?

I just upgraded to the latest and noticed a quirk when I upload waypoints to my Garmin.  It seems to add an extra letter to the first of all waypoints (and as a result drop the last letter.)  At first I was puzzled, but then I noticed the pattern and noticed that the letter signifies the type of cache.

Just tested the latest version of everything with the setup I have here (m125, null modem, Rino 120) and everything is working as it was before in that regard. Did you just start using something else as well (say, GSAK), that might be trying to rewrite the waypoint name?

Did you just start using something else as well (say, GSAK), that might be trying to rewrite the waypoint name?

No. I've downloaded GASK but haven't used it yet. I can see the waypoints have the right name in my Palm III, but are altered when I use the Garmin Plug-in to transfer to my Geko 201.

I thought I remembered someone asking for this feature, so I thought it was a feature, not a bug. It is useful. I just wanted to find out where to control it. Or did I somehow get a "private" or beta version?

I thought I remembered someone asking for this feature, so I thought it was a feature, not a bug.  It is useful.  I just wanted to find out where to control it.  Or did I somehow get a "private" or beta version?

Not that I know of... :blink:

Seems to be working alright here, so that rules out the plugin support in CacheMate itself. The Geko might be using a different waypoint format than the Rino, so the plugin code being run would be different, but that part of the plugin hasn't changed since symbol selection was added, and at that point the only change was that the symbol ID was no longer hardcoded. The only change in the latest version of the plugin was in the way that coordinates were returned from the GPS query function. No idea what could be causing what you're seeing.

I just upgraded to the latest and noticed a quirk when I upload waypoints to my Garmin. It seems to add an extra letter to the first of all waypoints (and as a result drop the last letter.) At first I was puzzled, but then I noticed the pattern and noticed that the letter signifies the type of cache.

All in all, I guess I like the feature, but I can't find it documented and I can't find the setting to turn it on and off. What am I missing?

I have the same problem. When I upload waypoints from CacheMate 3.5.2 to my Magellian Sportrac Map, it adds a letter representing cache type to the front of the waypoint name and drops the last letter. This happens with gpx files converted with the current version of cmconvert and the version shipped with GSAK 3.01. I'm not using any "smart name" options in GSAK. When I view the waypoints in CacheMate they look fine.

Interesting, after quite a bit of playing around with things I find this to be a random phenomenon. I have totally dumped the waypoints from my GPS (Sportrac Map) 8 times and then reloaded them from CacheMate (while making no changes to GPS or PDA). 1 out of the eight times I experienced the "mangled" waypoints. I then tried dumping GPS waypoints, dumping the CacheMate database from the PDA, regenerating the PDB file in GSAK, HotSyncing, importing the new file into CacheMate and then exporting waypoints to my GPS 5 times with no problems. Got me puzzled <_<

The Geko might be using a different waypoint format than the Rino, so the plugin code being run would be different, but that part of the plugin hasn't changed since symbol selection was added, and at that point the only change was that the symbol ID was no longer hardcoded.

My setup used to work fine, but the problem appeared right after loading the latest version of CacheMate and the Garmin plug-in. Perhaps it's an update issue?

Are there any issues with going to an slightly older version to troubleshoot?

I have been using CacheMate for a while now and I really like the program. I went out and did some urban caching yesterday and between the autorouting on my 60cs and having all of the caches in CacheMate, I had the perfect paperless solution.

I do have one comment and a question:

I think it is a bit of a pain to have to always switch between the Info page and the Description page to get all of the cache info. I would prefer to have both of those on the same page. Maybe there could be an option to have both on one page or to have them separated. As a minimum, it would be nice to have the GC number included on the Description page. That is what I usually have to switch back to the Info page to get.

Is there a way to display just the caches that have the found box checked? If I display by category, I get all of the caches that I imported into the found category and the ones where I checked the box.

Thanks,

Rocket Man

I uploaded (installed), apparently sucessfully, the Cetus GPS Export and the Garmin GPS plugins to my Visor. However upon looking at CacheMate on the PDA I can't find any traces of them nor did my RAM memory usage decrease, suggesting they really didn't go into the PDA afterall.

Any ideas? Is there web documentation on how to use those plugins?

Thanks.