Approaching Other Geocachers While Caching

Team HomestarRunner

On a recent geocaching expedition I came up on another team searching the brush for a cache. (I always wondered what we must look like in action.) After exchanging the usual pleasantries I instinctively began hunting. After a few minutes I found it, we signed the log, and said our goodbyes. My question is, should we have waited for them to finish or not? Especially after I found it before them.

Just looking for others experiences in this situation. Thanks!!

I really wouldn't care either way either. I suppose, for other people's sake, you should ask, as Halden suggested. Maybe ask them that if you find it first, should you not say anything. I'm there to find it, so any help is always welcome.

:lol: Ditto..

Had this happen on more than a couple occasions, and it was a lot of fun finding the cache with the aid of a few more eyes.

I've met Geocachers on the trail about half a dozen times. Mostly we were just passing by each other going in or coming out from the cache location, we did stop to chat and exchange Geocache Names usually.

Once as I was signing the log book and a Cacher came up and said he had been looking for a few minutes (I never saw him) and congratulated us as it was a FTF, asked if he could sign the log book (I was with 2 kids so we would have taken a while doing trades) he put an item in the cache signed the book and was on his way. :lol:

Overall it's all been very positive. I think its always fun to meet up with someone who is wondering around out in the woods with the same goals as me.

:huh:

When you spot the cache, you just keep pretending to look for a couple more minutes as you move away from the area, then call out "hootie hoo!"

I always wondered about this. Couldn't you just look for awhile and then hootie-hoo and sit and have the others find it for you?

If I see people around what appears to be the cache site, I'll make sure they know I'm there and if they're cachers, I'll introduce myself. I then ask if they'd be willing to search together or if they'd like to find the cache on their own. If they want to search together, we make the agreement ahead of time to either call it and pull the container or "move away and call it" to let the other team make the find as well. Communication is important. If they want to search alone, I'll do whatever makes sense at the time/place to allow them to finish their find.

Hope that helps. :unsure:

I always wondered about this. Couldn't you just look for awhile and then hootie-hoo and sit and have the others find it for you?

That seems like a pretty good idea (assuming you hate hunting for caches :unsure:) but you could really only do it a couple times with the same people before they realize that "Hey! You never even came within 30 feet of the hiding spot!"

Also, what if the cache is missing?? After a half hour of hunting, your companions will give up their search out of frustration and ask you to point it out to them!! "Um, well... hee hee. You see guys... B)"

This is what I did one time.

I went out one morning looking for a difficult multi called Pave Hawk. I was in the bushes and up in trees in a public park. After I had been looking for awhile, I saw another man walking around the area, looking hard at trees, the bushes, etc. I saw him before he saw me and I kept an eye on him for a little while. He looked very much like he was hunting for a cache.

He made a big loop and as he came back around, he saw me, and it was obvious I was looking for something, me being there in the midst of trees and brush. Not knowing whether he was a cacher or a muggle, but suspecting a cacher, I walked out and asked if he was just walking around and said it looked like he was looking for something. He was evasive and he said he was just walking around. Then he asked what I was doing. I told him I was a student in a forestry class, and that I was looking for specific tree bark for a project called "Pave Hawk". If he had been a cacher, he would have reacted to the words "Pave Hawk", but he did not react at all, so it was obvious he was a muggle.

So I walked off to another area for a little while, and he left the area. Then I went back to searching.

Cachers can talk to unknowns cryptically and determine if they are cachers or muggles. If they are cachers, I identify myself as one too, and they may be interested in working together or not.

Looking back, I think that guy may have been looking for a "date". :unsure:

Edited by bennet
We use the "hootie hoo!" rule around here. When you spot the cache, you just keep pretending to look for a couple more minutes as you move away from the area, then call out "hootie hoo!" to jest the other searchers know that you found it.

Then just sit back and heckle... B)

I've never encountered another cacher while caching, but I like this idea the best.....gives everyone a chance to get the thrill of finding it. :unsure:

I came upon a fellow geocacher from my area looking for an urban micro. I decided to help him search (without asking, oops). Well I found the micro when I slid my hand across a storm drain and the cache dropped 6 feet to the bottom. hehe :( Was that rude of me not only to not wait until he was finished, but to also destroy the cache thereby assuring him of not finding it ;)

Edited by Volwrath
Well I found the micro when I slid my hand across a storm drain and the cache dropped 6 feet to the bottom. hehe  ;)  Was that rude of me...

Heck, yeah it was rude! ;) It's happened to me so many times... someone thinks they're helping, but just ends up dropping the cache down a storm drain! Every darn time! :(

I had my first encounter with another geocacher a couple of days ago. I was after an FTF on a cache (got it, too ;) ), and emerged from the woods to find a gentleman standing there holding a GPSr. If I had known he was there, honestly, I would have yelled to him to come in and join the fun. I am not into the "this cache is mine and mine alone while I am hunting it" mentality. It would have been fun to have another cacher with me.

If I ever meet up with a fellow cacher I would put on my aluminum foil hat that I carry for such occasions, run at full speed towards him screaming about "engbert cocklespurs are loose", run headlong into a tree for good measure, then hand him a stick of Juicy Fruit Gum, while breaking wind the whole time.

Then read the logs the next day.

Well I found the micro when I slid my hand across a storm drain and the cache dropped 6 feet to the bottom. hehe  :lol:  Was that rude of me...

Heck, yeah it was rude! :( It's happened to me so many times... someone thinks they're helping, but just ends up dropping the cache down a storm drain! Every darn time! :lol:

Well, on my own behalf, I did go to Lowes and bought a broom handle and some duct tape and managed to fish the cache out (it was dry).

I met another caches on the hunt today, and helped her find this one. I guess I am even now :unsure: