Who's The Master Of Disquise.

Hogarth

:ph34r: Curious.. Just read a thread where the stasher takes along fake ferns and ivys to conceal their caches. Wondering, who is the master of disquse out there? I want to know who has the most Frownies logged to a cache they have hid, or of a cache they know about. We're not talking some cache on the top of a mountain peak rated a 5 / 5. I'm talking local caches that are so very well concealed, the owner dares you to try and find it, and they are virtually impossible to find.

My nomination would have to be a local cacher called the 1/2 Whit. He is truely a master of disquise...

Who's yours??

The sneakiest hider I know is Bufford from Klamath Falls. He has laid caches right out in plain view for all to see, but you don't see them. Once I actually touched a cache by accident before seeing it. In fact I would not have ever found it if I didn't touch it.

Word has it that a future cache may resemble trail droppings but you didn't hear it here. It's jut a rumor ya know.

The other day I was at Mr. Brown's Challenge and actually picked up the cache and didn't know it. It was a comedy of errors. The Jester and I were going for his #300 and at the same time looking to place the Puget Sound Hot Potato. There are two caches in the same park and I had decrypted the clue to the other one and we both thought we were looking for an ammo box under some ferns. This was definitely not that. We had both put down our GPSr's right next to the cache while looking. Never dawned on us. Don't have a picture, sorry.

In the Bremerton Washington area, Fledermaus and Real Deal are masters at rehiding caches. They motto used to be lets hide it so Old Man W7WT can't find it. They were usually successful. That's why I have so many first finds. If I was going to find it, I had to beat them to it. If you ever read any of Fledermaus remarks on the cache page, he always says "left it hidden better, than I found it." Dick, W7WT

This little beauty has a 44% frownie factor. In its original configuration it was so natural in appearance that finding it required complete mental focus and extremely keen powers of observation - not to mention a lot of uninterupted time. It's been found and replaced several times since my FTF log so that today, even though it is still difficult to spot, it's a bit easier than it was in its original condition. The owner of this cache has a gift for designing "evil"cahes and all geocachers in this region look forward to the work it takes to find one of his creations.

Rating caches by "frownie" symbols wouldn't really identify the best creations however. Many in our sport don't bother to log a failure to find at all. Some only log a failure once, after many attempts to locate the cache. For those reasons, the "frownie" wouldn't provide an accurate rating tool. :P

(edit for typo)

Edited by gallahad
would that be my fake ivy and ferns you're referring to?

camocont.JPG

It might be; or it might have been this slightly tongue in cheek comment I made in the 'Vandalism or Helpful?' thread:

<snip> I usually carry some high quality plastic fern and ivy leaves along with some 2 part epoxy so I can better camoflage all the ammo boxes I come across <snip> :P

i'm going to mention this one after every question like this....look at WGS84 "Bill and Gary's Excellent Adventure 2" stage 4 is what legends are made of....took me 3 trys on #4 alone

it was a birdhouse suspended over a river that you had to visually follow the wire it was suspended from through thick foilage up the side of a hill and then at the top it richocheted to maybe 5 switch backs before you got to the release point

Edited by mufasa1023
Today I found a cache  that looks like it came from a Great Dane! B)  :D

EEEWWWWW!!!!!! :D

It was ~3/4 inch wide and about 5 inches long. A plastic dog poop with a film canister glued underneath it. I had visited the place several times and didn't notice it even though the cache's title and hint led you to belive that it might be the cache.

Edited by Wacka
i'm going to mention this one after every question like this....look at WGS84 "Bill and Gary's Excellent Adventure 2"    stage 4 is what legends are made of....took me 3 trys on #4 alone

That's the best cache I've seen, though it wasn't exactly well-concealed. It was maddeningly visible! :D

I believe PDWADS were the first in the Detroit area to make 10-gallon bucket tree stumps. umc once made a very evil container-in-a-stick as part of a multi. Then there are Doc Ott's logs that are split in half, hollowed out to hide a container, then held together with dowels.