Outdoor Stuff For Geocaching

Geocaching is an inherently outdoor activity. As such, you need outdoor stuff. Where do you get your outdoor stuff? Why do you get your outdoor stuff there? Is it the service or the price? Or something else? Is it a local store, regional chain, or national chain? Do you shop from a catalog? Do you shop from the internet? Do you use ebay? What store would you recommend to someone visiting from out of town?

REI is a store that shows up often in these posts - its national. I've posted less than nice things about REI just because I think they're a little too Gucci these days. I've been a member since 1973 and I've seen changes. But, as pointed out in these threads, REI will take back stuff for just about any reason. They pay a 10% dividend on your purchases at the end of the year (for members). I still buy stuff there. I like a local store in Seattle called Outdoor & More - great deals, close-outs, and name-brand stuff. There's a regional chain in the northwest called G. I. Joes that I like because there's one conveniently located nearby. Aside from geocaching, they have a great fishing dept. I still buy my pink Buzz Bombs at Wal-Mart, though. There's also good 'ol Ed's Surplus when you need a pair of rubber boots or an o.d. green wool sweater.

Let's hear about your favorite places to get outdoor stuff and why.

edit: added links

Edited by astheravenflies

Number one on my list is Sierra Trading Post because they have great prices. They deal in closeouts, overstocks and irregulars and their inventory changes frequently, so you have to check often to see if what you need is in. But when you can get a $190 pair of hiking boots for $50 bucks, or a $300 tent for $90, its well worth the effort. And their customer service is excellent.

If I need something now and price is no object, I go to Campmor. They have everything you'd ever need for the outdoors and things that you never knew you needed:huh: . I'm lucky enough to live a half hour from their only store, but they are have a good reputation for their .com business from what I hear.

I also use LL Bean a lot. They have rep for being over priced, but that's for most of their other stuff. I find their outdoor products to be a bargain. Well made and functional. The 2 person Bean dome tent I use for backpacking is still going strong after 14 years of abuse. The best $109 I ever spent. And it's still available...for a whopping $129.

Edited by briansnat

I get most of my gear from EMS (Eastern Mtn. Sports) mainly because of an ongoing 10% reduction and twice a year 20% when they have their club day.

Sierra trading post is about 50 miles north of me in Cheyenne Wyo and we

go up there once in awhile. In town I have Sportsmans Warehouse which is

a mini Cabelas. My pack was purchased from Red Head about 6 years ago and is starting to show its wear and tear so Duluth Pack is next on my list.

For stuff for the cache containers, Wally World has some of the best stuff for a couple of bucks per item.

I go to EMS, I like a store where the staff uses the gear and can mkae good reccomendations. Sierra Trading Post is a great way to find high quality gear at low cost if you know what you are looking for. Only been to Campmor once, but Bsnat is correct, they have all sorts of stuff you never thought you would need or use.

<<SNIP>>

If I need something now and price is no object, I go to Campmor. They have everything you'd ever need for the outdoors and things that you never knew you needed:huh:  . I'm lucky enough to live a half hour from their only store, but they are have a good reputation for their .com business from what I hear.

<<SNIP>>

I shop at Campmor all the time. They are on my way home from work. Ive also used the .com store and never had a problem.

The prices there are better than any other camping/outdoor store I've ever seen. Also as a member of my local trail conference I get a %10 discount. For my sons birthday we bought him a backpack. The %10 off was more than enough to cover the price of trail conference membership. I've also bought gifts for the crew that works for me.

You don't get the discount for online purchases. So I mostly go to the store. Maybe you should take a look at your local hiking clubs. They may have a partnership with a local store. %5 TO %15 can add up quickly.

I don't shop at EMS much. We've even nicknamed them Expensive Mountain Sports.

Edited by Harrald

For me, I already have all of the outdoor gear that I need because I hunt, fish, camp, and hike. Geocaching fits right in with all of that, I have found caches while doing all of those activities.

I'm lucky enough to have a couple of outdoor sporting goods stores within a three minute drive of where I live. Galyans is the first choice, with Sportmart right next door to it. If neither of those work, then I can check out the local Gander Mountain on the west side of town. Ne need for mail order, I can check out the stuff in person.

:huh: