Rechargeable Vs Alkaline Batteries

Nebrcacher

If you consider "a lot" to be a package of eight though a year, you're right; rechargeables are not for you.

If you're going through 2-3 sets a weekend in the GPS or feeding something like a digital camera, it's a big savings. It's not for everybody. I've seen chargers with 4 AA's for as low as $10 (though honestly, I'd expect to pay at least twice that) so it's not that hard to do the math - add up your current battery cost, the enviromental damage of dumping heavy metals into wherevery you're putting your spent one, and see if that's more or less than the amortized cost of the rechargeables.

Disposables work best for me. Some reasons:

1) 25 cents per batt for brand names if you shop right.

2) Years of shelf life.

3) Highly dependable.

Rechargables have their place, but you need to do the math to figure out if they are really economical for your situation. I have my doubts that most "average" consumers ever really recoup their investment.

George

NiMHs are great. I'd steer clear of the 15 minute chargers, though. The 15 minute charge only works on special (and expensive, even for NiMHs) batteries. For regular NiMHs, it takes overnight to charge.

You're better off with a 1-hour charger. They'll work with any NiMH battery. The extra 45 minutes doesn't make that much difference. Besides, I've rarely seen it take a full hour to charge my NiMHs. I usually top 'em off before I go out, and it takes at most 25 minutes. If they're fully depleted, I'm sure it could take the full hour, but I usually recharge them well before that happens.

I've used NiHi batteries in my digital cameras for a couple of years. I now use them for my GPSr. They work good for me.

I do, however, use trickle chargers. It takes longer but the batteries hold the charge awhile longer.

Edited by Oat

5 bucks a pack regular vs. 15 for NiHM's. 6 uses (assuming half the life) and you'r out of pocket is re-gained. Everything after that is Gravy. At 25 cent's per, 15 recarges (GPS V using 4 AA's) and you are at break even for out of pocket. You could factor in your power bill increase from re-charging but it's probably not noticable.

15-30 recharges covers the charger. A geocachers should be able to do that in about a year. If you have a digital camera the return is even quicker.

If you only use 2 AA's everything takes twice as long to recoup.

Once I got NiMH's I standardized on AA's and D size batteries. It just wasn't worth the hastle of messing wiht other sizes. the only fly in the ointment is that some of the better LED flashlits like the goofy sized lithium batteries.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I just started using rechargeables. The reason has nothing to do with economics, and anyone who says that it should is dreaming. At Costco, I can get 48 AA alkaline batteries for $9.50, or about 19 cents per battery. Since my charger and set of rechargeables cost $20, it would take roughly 50 sets of batteries in my GPS to recoup the cost. That would take considerably longer than a year for me.

The reason I use rechargeables is that I can put a fresh set of batteries into my GPS every time I start out geocaching; that way, I can be certain that they will last all day, and I am unlikely to have to replace them in the field. It's just nice to start out the day all "charged up" and ready to go!

The reason I use rechargeables is that I can put a fresh set of batteries into my GPS every time I start out geocaching; that way, I can be certain that they will last all day, and I am unlikely to have to replace them in the field. It's just nice to start out the day all "charged up" and ready to go!

Actually, I use that exact same argument to justify my use of disposables. :D

One problem I have is that I'm not real organized when it comes to charging my batteries. When I had a bunch of rechargables, I kept getting confused just how "fresh" each one was.

Keeping track of a few wasn't too hard, but once had something in the range of 30-40 rechargables for various devices I just coudn't handle it anymore. In a weekend I'd go through 12 AAs for my caving lights (me and two kids). Plus another set of 12 for backup use, let alone what we used in our radios, GPS and required gameboys.

I didn't have enough rechargers to keep them all these topped off, so the fast self-discharge rate made things even worse. I guess I could have put them in the freezer as I recharged them, but I'm just not that organized.

Then my kids would have the bad sense to put rechargables in things like the TV remote, or seldom used toys that somehow vanish from the face of the earth. That's really blows.

Now I take comfort in knowning that if my bats just came out of the bubble pack, then they're more than likely good.

Even you use rechargables, keep a set of disposables handy anyway. Having something die on you and having to spend $5 for 2 AAs at the local quicky mart really screws up the economy equation.

George

My wife & I just had our first baby. I know that kids' toys require lots of batteries. The monitor we got comes with two remote receivers, and they both came with AC power adapters. But we have four rooms where we'll be using the receivers though. Should we get two additional receivers? no. Two additional AC power adapters? no. I mean, who wants to bother with those ugly, clunky power adapters and cords? I got tired of buying Alkies and throwing them away. I just invested $180 on a charger and a bunch of rechargeables of all sizes. I keep the charged ones in a Battery Rack 40™ (available at Home Depot for $10.00). I keep a bucket next to the charger for the dead ones. I have no doubts that the $180 investment will double in money saved after a few years. :D

I'll feel better about the environment too! B)

New parents. Hee-Hee. You've no idea what you're in for B)

Kids toys do tend to take a lot of batteries, but fortunately most of them aren't high-drain devices. Cheepo alkalines will last for years in many of them, and that's a good thing.

What's going to drive you nuts is the fast self-discharge rate of the rechargables, and your kid keeping bugging you to constantly replace the batteries, which will always require a tiny screwdriver that never seems to be around when you need it.

And, being a reponsible parent, you will never, ever, permanently remove that troublesome screw. :D

George

I'll add two more reasons:

1) It's less stuff to "stock" and shop for. I never have to worry about running low on them.

2) Not only do you start out with a fresh set, but you leave the GPS on longer so it can get a better lock. With disposables, I hate to use up something I have to spend money to replace. With rechargables, I don't care if I have to recharge them later.

I have used a FRS radio for years. When mine got stolen and I had to replace them the one thing that was TOP on the list was it had to have rechargable batteries and a drop in recharger so I didn't have to take them out to recharge.

Re's don't last as long but are a whole lot more convienent. I like fresh batteries in my GPS just so I can get a better sattelite lock. Has anyone noticed once your batteries are down to about 50% you don't get a strong sat lock?

When my batteries show 50% I replace them. I have a drawer full of partically charged AA's. In order to get the most for my money I figure someone else in the family can use them. I have a battery tester and test batteries every time I go to put them into a device. I wish someone made a GPSr that had re's and a drop in charger. I'd buy it in a heart beat. It took a while for the FRS radios to get there so I guess it will be a while for the GPSr too.

I'm going out and buy some re's today and a charger for the house and car. I'll stick to just AA's since that is what I use the most.

To me it's about cost and convenience. Using re's to replace half used Alcalines is more economical. Not having to check each battery before using it is more convienent. I know with a rechargable it is at full power when I take it out of the charger.

BEST BUY: <_<

Thanks to SandRaven for your post on where you get your batteries. You just saved me a lot of time and money. I did do my do diligence on this one though. Thomas Distributing http://thomasdistributing.com does have the best selection and prices. I just bought the MAHA brand C401FS charger with car adapter and 8 Powerex 2200 mAH batteries http://thomasdistributing.com/mhc401fs_buy.htm. It looked like the best deal for my needs. I added an additional 8 batteries because I use AA's for my headlamp, digicam, GPS.

BEST BATTERY: B)

Which battery brand last the longest? This test shows that the Maha brand Powerex 2200 outlasted all other tested products. It lasted over three times longer than the best alkaline battery. http://www.imaging-resource.com/ACCS/BATTS/BATTS.HTM

ECO: B)

I get batteries at "no cost". My wife has a fixed budget and whenever I need some more AA's she picks up a pack or 48 at Costco for around $10. It's not about the money. I go through between 4-8 batteries a week. Every time I threw batteries into the trash I got a knot in my stomach. As I researched the rechargeable NiMH batteries I found that they are "completely" recyclable, unlike the very bad non-rechargeable alkaline.

COST: :D

According to the above referenced test the Maha 2200mAH batteries lasted about 10 hours on one charge. You can charge them at least 500 times (up to 1000 times). That equals 5,000 hours of use. I paid about $4 per battery. So for $4 I get 5,000 hours of use, having to only throw one battery away when it’s dead. The Costco Alkaline batteries cost about 5 cents each. The best rated alkaline battery in the test lasted about 3 hours. In order to get 5,000 hours of use from an alkaline I would need buy 1,666 batteries at a cost of around $83. I also would have thrown away 1,666 batteries into landfill, and I am only one person!

I paid $100 for sixteen 2200 mAH rechargeable batteries, which included a charger with DC cord. (I also got a free gift!) The equivalent in alkaline would have cost me $1,328 and I would have had to buy 26,656 batteries. The cheapest alkaline (Costco brand) costs ten times more than the highest rated (MAHA Powerex 2200) rechargeable NiMH battery. Even if there was no savings and it cost me a few bucks more I would buy the rechargables.

Rechargeables: Better for the environment, last longer, more convenient (don't have to change them as often), cost ten times less, and I won't have to worry about buying another battery for at least four years (up to eight years). IMHO rechargeable are the ONLY way to go for me. :D