Cloth GeoCaching.com Patch (Subdued)

If it were to be made available by our friends at GeoCaching.com, would you be interested in purchasing a 'subdued' version of the 3"x3" cloth GeoCaching.com logo patch similar to the mock-up below?

57962_5000.jpg

(This image has been slightly modified from the one that I first posted in order to more closely resemble the design of the current full-color patch)

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on January 17, 2003 at 08:12 AM.]

I wear an OD fisherman's vest when caching (with a million little pockets to hold all the items from the "what do you carry in your backpack?" thread). An olive drab patch sewed onto an olive drab vest would be way cool. Thanks for the idea.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

If there's no accounting for stupidity, then why do I need to file a tax return?

quote:
Originally posted by Treasure Hunters Inc.:

?????

All I see on my screen is a black rectangular area. If that's the subdued version I vote for the original. If not what do I need to see it correctly?

OK who turned down the brightness on my monitor?

$1000 Bill

[This message was edited by Treasure Hunters Inc. on January 16, 2003 at 06:10 PM.]

I take it that you may have already arrived at your own solution ...if not, it sounds as though you need to adjust the brightness and/or contrast settings on your monitor (there is indeed a viewable image other than the black square you're seeing).

ontario1.gif

I like it because it doesn't scream look at me but your still representin.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

______________________________________________________________________________________

So far so good, somewhat new owner of a second/new Garmin GPS V 20 plus finds so far with little to no problem. We'll see what happens when there are leaves on the trees again.

...it sounds as though many of you are thinking along the same lines as I am. I have an OD (green) cotton 'photographers vest' that's a terrific piece of kit for hiking (loose fitting and lots of pockets). Whether you have something similar, or perhaps a favourite old BDU jacket that you wear when venturing into the woods (...or desert, or mountains, or 'wherever'), here's an example of how this subdued patch might look when worn:

57962_5100.jpg

Not to suggest that such a patch would take the place of the full-color version currently available, but it would probably be more aesthetically pleasing (to many of us anyway) depending on where/how it's going to be used.

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on January 17, 2003 at 01:11 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

...it sounds as though many of you are thinking along the same lines as I am. I have an OD green cotton 'photographers vest' that is a terrific piece of kit for hiking (loose fitting and lots

That is exactly the vest that I have icon_smile.gif

snazzjacket1.jpg

Best pic I can find, unfortunately.

subdued is subtle. subtle is good.

icon_cool.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Canucks:

If it were to be made available by our friends at GeoCaching.com, would you be interested in purchasing a 'subdued' version of the 3"x3" cloth GeoCaching.com logo patch similar to the mock-up below?

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/57962_5000.jpg

(This image has been slightly modified from the one that I first posted in order to more closely resemble the design of the current full-color patch)

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on January 17, 2003 at 08:12 AM.]

Originally posted by Mr. Snazz:

That is _exactly_ the vest that I have icon_smile.gif

QUOTE]

...aren't they great?

I spent far more time in choosing which color (OD or tan?) than I did in deciding whether or not to buy the vest. When I saw them for sale, I knew right away that it was exactly what I needed!

icon_smile.gif

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on January 17, 2003 at 01:28 PM.]

What about it in an iron-on? Kinda like the old Navy dungaree rank iron-ons? That way it wouldn't matter the color of the background, it could be khaki, grey, blue or whatever. Would probably be cheaper as well.

Didn't Jeremy used to work for a screenprinter? If so, he'd know what I'm talking about.

CR

72057_2000.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

"...What about it in an iron-on? Kinda like the old Navy dungaree rank iron-ons? That way it wouldn't matter the color of the background, it could be khaki, grey, blue or whatever..."

...wouldn't an iron-on also be more or less 'permanent'? Personally, I prefer the idea of a sew-on patch; the cost would probably be in the same ballpark as the $3.00USD being charged for the current full-color version, and the patch would be 'removable'/'reusable'. If an iron-on is something that would better suit someone's need, they could easily print one off themselves rather cheaply using a PC and those blank iron-on sheets made for ink-jet printers (...which work surprisingly well!).

The idea of a subdued cloth patch in OD green simply acknowledges the large number of folks for whom 'hiking-wear' usually means something on which a patch like this would look appropriate.

ontario1.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

"...Can anyone come up with a good reason why the subdued version of this patch should be _UGLY UGLY UGLY_?..."

Gee Don, don't be so shy ...just say what you really mean .

In answer to your comment (and as the guy who started this), the GeoCaching.com logo is copyrighted. Now, I'm not a lawyer (although I sometimes play one on television), but my guess is that - as a copyrighted logo - there's only so much latitude that can be taken with the original design without compromising its integrity. Messing around too much with the colors of the original design probably wouldn't sit too well with the folks at Groundspeak if they want to 'protect' their copyright ...which of course, they do. That's why, when I toyed with a 'subdued' version, I stuck with a monochromatic treatment (ie: one single color superimposed on a slightly contrasting background ...thereby 'subdued'); this version (the colors of which are of the type used on the vast majority of military subdued insignia ...not that the aim of this is to look 'Army') pretty much conforms to the 'official' black and white version of the GeoCaching.com logo and (I hope) would be acceptable to TPTB. As for the choice of color, clearly you aren't happy with OD ...but, just as clearly, the majority of those who've responded to this poll are (y'just can't please all of the people all of the time).

In the final analysis, it'll be Groundspeak's call on whether or not they even want to entertain the idea of a subdued patch, much less what color(s?) to use. As with any commercial endeavour, I should think that they'll take into consideration the voice of the majority when it comes to forecasting whether or not a potential product will actually 'sell' and is worth bringing to market.

Of course, there's nothing stopping you from posting your own "...nice..."(?) green subdued variant and see how it goes over.

icon_smile.gif

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on January 18, 2003 at 11:49 PM.]

Please don't confuse my disdain of OD (lived with it for 20 yrs.) with the subdued patch itself. I am indeed in support of the subdued patch, but I believe that the OD green on black is actually too militaristic. I do appreciate, now that you've explained it, that there were constraints on your initial layout, and that compromises needed to be made to get it done. I would hope that if you get approval, you will consider investigating the other subdued colors available. I see no reason the patch couldn't be 4-colored in the new version, while still not attracting too much attention. I'd show you an example of my TAC patch if only I could figure out how to.... icon_frown.gif

don

quote:

"...Please don't confuse my disdain of OD (lived with it for 20 yrs.) with the subdued patch itself. I am indeed in support of the subdued patch, but I believe that the OD green on black is actually too militaristic..."

Don, I think if folks were concerned about looking too militaristic, they wouldn't be wearing OD green (or similar) garments when hiking in the first place. I trust you would probably agree that there's a ton of people out there for whom, out of simple practicality, this type of apparel has become their 'GeoCaching Wardrobe of Choice' (whether it be a surplus BDU jacket or an outdoorsman's vest purchased at their local WalMart). As I alluded to in a previous post, this same 'Tommy Hilfiger-challenged' crowd are probably the ones to which this subdued patch design will appeal the most (I was never suggesting that it take the place of the current full-color version ...should folks opt for a less 'drab' look).

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out ...if indeed it ever sees the light of day.

Cheers.

Terry.

icon_smile.gif

(BTW - Although it may not be clear when viewed on your monitor, the posted design was actually done using a darker shade of OD [not black] on a medium shade...)

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on January 19, 2003 at 12:04 AM.]

quote:

"...Here is an example of subdued colors that can complement OD and black, while not standing out..."

Well... that certainly is... um... er... ah... 'colorful'. Clearly, we have differing opinions on how to define 'subdued'.

(You did call the colors used on my suggestion "UGLY UGLY UGLY", didn't you? Just curious, who in your family picks the color of your cars and neckties...?)

icon_wink.gif

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on January 19, 2003 at 08:09 AM.]

my Taurus is a subdued blaze white ('cause it's very dirty) icon_razz.gif, and thankfully, I no longer wear neckties.

Perhaps I used two-too-many 'ugly's' when describing the color scheme icon_biggrin.gif. As for the TAC patch, it's the real McCoy, colors and all, though the colors are not reproduced quite accurately. As I eyeball the original in front of me, the red is much deeper, with hints of purple, and the green is darker.

As for differences in interpretation of subdued, perhaps it is due to our respective service experience.

Here is the original color scheme for comparison, though. In fact, this is the rendition of red that should be in the subdued patch above.

86451_900.jpg

An example of blue on OD.

86451_1000.jpg

don

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on January 19, 2003 at 09:31 AM.]

quote:

"...An example of blue on OD..."

Ahhh... now we're getting to the truth of the matter! You AirForce guys are always trying to work 'blue' into the equation. Take a perfectly good piece of tactically-sound OD material and you stitch a colored insignia on it that can be seen from a kilometer away!

(I better watch what I say, Jeremy did a hitch in the USAF...)

icon_wink.gif

ontario1.gif

[This message was edited by Cache Canucks on January 19, 2003 at 11:56 AM.]

It's true. In the Country Club we didn't have to do much skulking about in the wild. We just had to sit at our desks and look good! (Though I was an avionics tech, and therefore more skilled than those desk jockeys. icon_biggrin.gif)

don

edit: had to change a word or two. icon_redface.gif

[This message was edited by Cachetrotters on January 19, 2003 at 12:18 PM.]

In all honesty, I believe that the copyright/trademark would cover the actual 'design' of the logo ...more so than just the colors. Therefore, any release of such a patch would likely technically 'violate' copyright/trademarks, and need to be 'authorized' by the copyright/trademark holder.

In any case ...here's a mockup of a 'subdued colors' version ...for those that dislike solid OD ...or just prefer a little more color.

geocache_patch1.jpg

(Credit where credit is due ...this image was made by modifying the original image by Cache Canucks.)

[This message was edited by clps on January 19, 2003 at 02:07 PM.]

Given the amount of hits that thread had, I'm sure everyone is well aware of our last exchange ...no need for you to attempt to start something up again.

Some didn't like the solid OD patch, I simply added a little color, and reiterated that no matter what color, it would likely have to be 'approved' first.

Pretty basic stuff.

I just finished using several different monitors to take a look at the sample mock-up posted at the top of this poll. I can now see how, depending on the age of the monitor and the brightness (or lack of) of its CRT, the mock-up might appear overly 'dark' ...or, for some, downright 'black'.

If your monitor tends to be on the dim side, here's a re-do of the mock-up being voted on (with the brightness cranked up digitally):

57962_5400.jpg

As might now be more apparent, this suggested design uses two slightly differing shades of OD (for a truly 'subdued' effect) ...not a black design on a near-black shade of OD.

In any event, it would appear that this poll and its collection of comments has pretty much run its course (thanks to everyone for your thoughts and participation [...even you Don! ]). Whether or not this version of the GeoCaching.com cloth patch ever makes it to the shelves of the online store is now in the hands of the folks at Groundspeak.

Cheers!

ontario1.gif