Snow caching

LaPaglia

We get some snow up here as well.

Using a pole as a probe is a good idea.

If the cache is embedded in the ice, you may as well wait till spring.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by carleenp:

Just follow someone else's footprints to it! icon_smile.gif

More often than not this hits the nail right on the head!

Other than that, I've found that even in the snow it's good to look for a bunch of sticks piled together....maybe they don't do that in Colorado, though.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again." Mt. 13:44

CYBret's Geocaching Page

At first i just poke at what looks "likely". Eventually 2 hours later, i will have dug everything up...or if snow is forecasted for the next day, i just start diggin right away and the new snow covers it all up.

"The more I study nature, the more I am amazed at the Creator."

- Louis Pasteur

I did a cache recently where the hider put a very small piece of ribbon over the spot where the cache is. It doesn't really give the location away since you can't see it unless you are right on it. Once snow falls it will make it possible to continue to find the cache. They mentioned the ribbon in their hint.

I thought is was a nice touch.

Well we better get ready for the snow. I just got back from grabbing a quick one in Fahnestock State Park in southern NY and when I came out of the woods it was snowing like crazy!

btw...disposable cameras hold up good in caches so long as they're waterproof.. photographers generally store film in the fridge to extend life.

quote:
Originally posted by McKenzie Clan:

If you find the cache container, but can't open it or get it out due to ice, is it still a find??

Email the placer (they're the ones who'd delete it if they don't approve). They'll also know how valid that is on a case-by-case basis (IE, their cache).

For myself, I hold signing the logbook as my claim to a find unless plundered or equivalent, but some placers have ''virtual'' equivalents if a cache is in a muggle-prone area or the like.

If finders emailed me that they found it but it was frozen shut I'd encourage them to log a find if they made a valid attempt at chiselling it open with a rock! Heh..

Enjoy,

Randy

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

How do you try to find a cache that you know is buried under snow? We get a lot of snow in Colorado and Im looking for suggestions.

Isn't that what urban micros are for? icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

--

perl -MMIME::Base64 -e "print decode_base64('SU1BR0VTIFJFTU9WRUQgQlkgT1ZFUkJFQVJJTkcgQURNSU5T')"