Sunspots

woof n lulu

Paul Harveys radio broadcast today said that scientist report the largest formation of sunspot concentrations seen in years...it should reach and effect satallite reception tomorrow 10/24...for all cell phone and GPS users.

Just thought you might like to know, if you are going caching you might have a fun time with your GPS.

Aging is not for wimps !

Hey, my gray hair is just a disquise !

Product: Geophysical Alert Message wwv.txt

:Issued: 2003 Oct 23 1810 UTC

# Prepared by the US Dept. of Commerce, NOAA, Space Environment Center

#

# Geophysical Alert Message

#

Solar-terrestrial indices for 22 October follow.

Solar flux 154 and mid-latitude A-index 28.

The mid-latitude K-index at 1800 UTC on 23 October was 3 (31 nT).

Space weather for the past 24 hours has been strong.

Radio blackouts reaching the R3 level occurred.

Space weather for the next 24 hours is expected to be minor.

Geomagnetic storms reaching the G1 level are expected.

Radio blackouts reaching the R1 level are expected.

A bunch of sites to learn more than you ever wanted to:

http://www.eham.net/DX/propagation

Originally posted by sept1c_tank:

Any idea how long it might last?

Don't know Sept1c, but there a plenty of site links showing up that might be able to tell you.

They are very interesting, and if you are planning a hike or 2day trek its nice to have a site like these to check forecast...specially if you are tracking your course...

Aging is not for wimps !

Hey, my gray hair is just a disquise !

To answer the question in the closed "Geostorm!" thread, I do not think it will affect GPS usage much. However, I am excited about what the numbers mean for my other hobby. Solar Flux at 183 and going to 195 tomorrow and A index down to 10 may mean some nice world-wide propagation on the bands (HF frequencies).

The other half just strolled by the office door. I announced to him, "Hey, guess what? HF propagation is gonna be difficult within 24 hours."

His eyebrows shot into his hairline and he declared that if any sort of propagation was going to be a no-go tomorrow, we were certainly wasting our time surfing the forums....

I have to go now. icon_wink.gif

quote:
To answer the question in the closed "Geostorm!" thread, I do not think it will affect GPS usage much.

Ummmm... yeah. I didn't think so either, but it has. Just tonight I went to a cache with a friend (I had done it before and coordinates etc were great) but tonight GPS showed us off by 200 feet...... Now that's an ERROR!]

If it isn't hard, it isn't worth doing right?

quote:
Ummmm... yeah. I didn't think so either, but it has. Just tonight I went to a cache with a friend (I had done it before and coordinates etc were great) but tonight GPS showed us off by 200 feet...... Now that's an ERROR!]

icon_frown.gif And I was gonna do a couple of runs today. Oh well, what's a little getting lost gonna hurt? icon_smile.gif I like rain. I like lost. I like hypother.... wait, no...

We'll find out how it goes and report back, but I don't anticipate any real problems, the trails are well marked.

*crossed fingers*

---------------------

It wasn't me.

I found 5 caches on 10/24 without a problem (though one was about 80 feet away from what my GPS said was ground zero). I did get some very fluky readings on Sunday (10/26). The needle was pointing towards the cache, but as I walked towards it, the distance was going up...to as much as 300 feet. Then it would drop to 100 feet and jump back up again. At one point it said the cache was 16 feet away and that's where I found it, but when I picked up my GPS I noticed that it said I was 200 feet away...and I hadn't move a foot.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on his hind legs. But by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" - Max Beerbohm

At sunrise on 10/22 road tripping across the hazy San Joaquin Valley, we could see an enormous sunspot by eye. The day of the first flare warning, we did a 40 cache day in Las Vegas and always had good signal. For today's 3rd largest flare warning, I'm just sitting, logging 150 caches.

Here's the satellite link, though I wonder if the advisories are stale.

http://www.schriever.af.mil/GpsSupportCenter/advisories.htm