Batteries: Good Cache?

I was wondering if batteries would be a good cache item? A couple or package of AAs tossed in for emergency GPSr heart failure.

What other size batteries would be useful? What about the possibility of battery acid leaking out over time?

Good or bad idea?

- GoatSniFFer

"Don't you hate it when the toliet paper rips?"

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I leave them frequently. I guess there is a danger of them leaking over time, but they are usually traded out pretty quickly, so it isn't an issue.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

At first I was sceptical of batteries being left in caches....especially here in the north country. But this last winter....I found batteries in several caches..some of which had been there for a couple of months in freezing weather... All were in good condition...the only problem is once they freeze....they don't last quite as long. But they are a great trade item as 3/4 power is better than no power if your GPS is about to die.

If God is your co-pilot, it's time to change seats!!!

Ace hardware here had a 24 pack for around 3.49 after rebate. I got a couple of packs and leave them in zip-lock bags. I found an alkaline battery recharger a few years ago at a Remington outlet store. It usually only gives a 75-80% charge, but after 2 or three charges I dispose of them. Then use the new ones.

Maps?!? I don't need no stinking maps! I got coordinates!

There were times when I loved finding batteries in caches, because my unit would tell me the batteries were low, then die (no longer a problem with the Vista). Batteries are one of the best trade items out there IMHO. I carry at least 4 pairs of NiMH batteries with me anytime I go caching now, but I still think they're a good item for trade.

Brian

Team A.I.

quote:
... my unit would tell me the batteries were low, then die (no longer a problem with the Vista).

I've got an eTrex Vista and my batteries do go low and then die. Am I missing something? How do I set mine to not use up the batteries?

There are three kinds of people in the world. Those that can count, and those that cannot.

Turning off the compass (until you need it) will save battery power. Also, I have found that while the cheaper batteries work just fine in my FSR, they die in just an hour in my Vista. To prevent unnecessary drain, when driving around I always have it plugged into the cigarette lighter port.

[This message was edited by Team X40 on July 02, 2003 at 08:51 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

dadgum goatsniffer...evertime I read one of your post's I can't help but to lmao!!! icon_biggrin.gif You've got the funniest screen name on the boards!!!!!! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gif

Thanks! I had an idea about GoaTShaGGer last night, but my doctor says I have to stop that. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

- GoatSniFFer

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GoaTSniFFer:

quote:
Originally posted by Spzzmoose:

dadgum goatsniffer...evertime I read one of your post's I can't help but to lmao!!! icon_biggrin.gif You've got the funniest screen name on the boards!!!!!! icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gif

Thanks! I had an idea about GoaTShaGGer last night, but my doctor says I have to stop that. icon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

- GoatSniFFer

http://www.texasgeocaching.com

ROFL...TMI...The mental picture going through my mind is...well...baaaaad....

The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field. When a man found it, he hid it again, and then in his joy went and sold all he had and bought that field.---Matthew 13:44

Matt & Julia

To view our online geocaching diary/blog, click here

I think they are a great trade item. I recall one time that i ended up out searching for a cahe alot longer than orignally planned.. (little problem with a river and not so stable bridge) and by the time i got to the second cache in the area my GPS was dying. Someone had left batteries in the cache and it literally svaed me from getting lost and made it possible to find my car.

I have not traded batteries before, but sounds like a good idea.

A good idea, is to put the date on the battery pack, when you place it in the cache.

To Extend Battery Life:

*Turn off WAAS, Electronic Compass, and even the Data Port, also you can reduce the map detail so the gps does not have to work as hard.

The Data Port should only be needed for Connecting to a computer. So it can be switched off when not needed.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

Would someone please supply me with a list of caches that contain AAA Batteries?

AAA (Anti-Aircraft Artillery) Batteries aren’t as interesting to me as a Nike-Hercules Batteries (with 30 kilo-ton warheads) but after all, I am a weapons inspector and 120 mm AAA is still a weapon of mass destruction.

And where might I obtain this Gecko thingie, it sounds like a useful tool to rid the earth of WMD?

Your help will be appreciated.

icon_wink.gif

This 'flying saucer' situation is not at all imaginary or seeing too much in some natural phenomena. Something is really flying around. The phenomenon is something real and not visionary or fictitious. - Gen. Nathan Twining Chief of Staff, US Air Force, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff