Another photography thread...

I was going thru some photos... all of these were snagged while caching except "beetle_headlight" which is from a car show...

http://www.acceptable-risk.com/images/Beetle_Headlight.jpg

http://www.acceptable-risk.com/images/Broadmoor.jpg

http://www.acceptable-risk.com/images/Mount_Saint_01.jpg

http://www.acceptable-risk.com/images/Mount_Saint_02.jpg

http://www.acceptable-risk.com/images/Stealth_01.jpg

This one is nasty... It's a dead cat on a train bridge... It was en route to the triangle caches (see profile) Don't click if you dislike dead things... I shot it because it disturbed me...

http://www.acceptable-risk.com/images/Wrong_Place.jpg

geosig.jpg

Contents Under Pressure...

quote:
Originally posted by Sissy-n-CR:

Nice. You use a digital? I had a Coolpix 950 and now have limited access to 990.

I was torn between the Nikon 5700 and Sony DSC-F707... I chose the 707... I didn't like the way the Nikon felt, and now that I've used the Sony, I think I'd look at the Nikon closer... the Sony has better image quality (why I bought it) but I'm extremely unhappy with the control placement... I constantly screw up the white balance just holding it... (I bump buttons holding the lens)

I have also noticed that I have a real problem with the "auto white balance" It's not terribly smart and I've come home with 500mb of half good photos... I've resorted to going manual, which has solved my probs (but made it a hassle)

I told myself I was going to get a 5 megapixel camera and I got one, I just wish the features and functionality were worth the $1000...

EDIT: I think I'm gonna try to return it to CompUSA and see if I can get a 717... I hear my *****es are fixed... I'm gonna press my extended warranty to the limits....

geosig.jpg

I did like the 950 and still like the 990 for it's ease of use. In manual, you have full control over everything. It takes petty good pix.

What I don't like about it is the two piece contruction, the size, the flash is way too close to the lens (red-eye city), and you can't see the monitor outside in the bright sun.

Mostly what I use the 990 for is studio work--yeah, right, it's a table set up with a light box. I've done a whole series of product shots for the companies webpage.

Don't what I want next, need to look around.

CR

Ar - nice pics, I really like the weather vein and the sky shot off the lens bezal.

I use an old old Oly 600l for my stuff, I am really looking for anew one and i know what I want which is the Oly E-20n, and maybe something like the C2100 ( for teh 10x Optical Zoom ) then a pocket Point a shoot in the 3 MP area.

My biggest working problem with the 600l is the low light focus, it BLOWs, but it takes an awsome outside shot.

-Robert

I have a friend that has an earlier version of the Sony 717, what ever was out 2 years ago. He loves the photo quality. Now loathes the giant lense on the front. Bulky, bigger than the camera body itself.

I've looked at the 5700 and wish I could win the lottery. I feel it is a more balanced camera in your hands. I personally like the layout of the body better. (I am a Nikon 880 user so I am partial to Nikons anyway).

Picture quality is probably comperable ??? So I'd go with the one that is the best ergonomic fit for you and feels the best hanging from the neckstrap. icon_smile.gif

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted.

I have a 1.2 megapixel Canon Exilim. REALLY small. About the size of VISA card and about 5 mm thick. They take a pretty fair photo. I have 2 megapixel Canon that has a flat macro feature that I use for clinical photos as it takes better close-ups. This is a Powershot in the Elph line. Nice. If I knew how to load pictures that aren't already online, I would show you some of the foilage pics I took with the Exilim this weekend while caching.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

[This message was edited by bigredmed on October 21, 2002 at 01:53 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by kavuday:

I saw beetle headlight last week when it was a daily devaition. I even had it as my wp for a few days. Nice shots btw, good eye!

dadgum... Isn't it a small world... I hang out on about 6 forums. One day I scanned a well known celeb from a magazine. Within a day, that same photo had been posted on all 6...

My point? I was surprised to see someone else from DA icon_smile.gif

geosig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by ikayak:

I have a friend that has an earlier version of the Sony 717, what ever was out 2 years ago. He loves the photo quality. Now loathes the giant lense on the front. Bulky, bigger than the camera body itself.

I don't mind the lens so much as I do the control placement... It's very easy to hold, unfortunately, where you would normally and naturally hold it is where some critical controls are...

I looked at the Nikon and for a digital, it is identical to an SLR as far as design, but it really isn't superior to the Sony as far as picture quality... I thought long and hard deciding between the two as I'm not made of money and I wanted a camera that I could use for a couple years. I suppose my comments above really bash the Sony... I have to say that beside the negative, it really is a good camera (once you get used to holding it different...) Both are very small... I'd say 75% of an SLR...

quote:
I've looked at the 5700 and wish I could win the lottery. I feel it is a more balanced camera in your hands. I personally like the layout of the body better. (I am a Nikon 880 user so I am partial to Nikons anyway).

Picture quality is probably comperable ??? So I'd go with the one that is the best ergonomic fit for you and feels the best hanging from the neckstrap. icon_smile.gif

There are differences... The Sony can focus a hell of a lot faster. That was my biggest *****, I don't wanna wait while it decides what to do. The picture quality is similar, and I've seen good things from both. Low light is an issue as well. The sony will "preshoot", take a reading, then shoot the final which I just recently figured out... It's a nice feature...

It's hard to justify spending a grand on a camera... Every day is buyer's remorse. The Minolta Dimage (Which I haven't used but I hear is very VERY good) The Nikon and of course the Sony are all very good cameras. I have my *****es and if I had to do it again, I think I would go for slower focus times and better ergonomics which would mean the Nikon... I'd miss the quality I get with the Sony, but that can be fixed in Photoshop...

geosig.jpg

[This message was edited by Acceptable Risk on October 22, 2002 at 05:27 AM.]

[This message was edited by Acceptable Risk on October 22, 2002 at 05:28 AM.]

AR,

Great pics. Very Impressive. I love photography but don't have the eye you do.

Again nice work.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Coming Around, New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Yeah, it was cool to see another deviant here. Blew me away when I saw the title 'Beetle Headlight'. I thought 'Nahh, couldn't be'.

Anyways, here are few shots I've taken while out geocaching. Not a very technical shooter, just get lucky sometimes...atleast I think so icon_biggrin.gif.

http://www.icehouse.net/kavuday/dockside.jpg

http://www.icehouse.net/kavuday/trail_buddy.jpg

http://www.icehouse.net/kavuday/take_a_hike.jpg

http://www.icehouse.net/kavuday/going_with_the_flow.jpg

http://www.icehouse.net/kavuday/into_the_depths.jpg

These were all shot with a Sony Mavica95 digital.

I play around a little myself. I've got 2 35mm's, both Canon AE's, & 2 digitals, Kodak DC280 & Nikon Coolpix 990. The 990 is my favorite. Really a versatile camera that takes some nice shots. I've got a few pics here:photos . I usually take the 280 on cache hunts, cuz if it gets all muddied up, not a big deal. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

ok, here's my list:

Nikon Coolpix 880B

Olympus OM-10

Pentax IQ-Zoom 105 (this is the one I carry if I am whitewater rafting)

Vivitar Vivicam 10 (our cheap digicam experiment)

I never use disposibles, I've had bad luck with them.

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. - Groucho Marx

Too many cameras to list. I started 25 years ago.

Does anyone here use PhotoGenetics software from QBeo?

Ever wonder why your images don't have the punch of those calendar shots? Their beaches are always whiter, the water and sky are bluer, etc. The one issue I have with my digicams is the images can be flat, especially if shot on an overcast day. I can use Photoshop to correct them, but I prefer PhotoGenetics. It's much easier and you don't have to know anything about color balance, etc.

It starts by showing you two versions of an image and asks which you prefer. It then gives you a new image and asks which you prefer, the other one or the new one, and so on, until you reach an image that you like. It may change the hue, the saturation, the brightness, the contrast, etc., but YOU always decide which you prefer.

After a few clicks the image is postcard perfect (I sound like a commercial). I looked for their site, but it seems to have disappeared. I think free downloads are still available, so do a search.

For an example I grabbed one of Kavuday's images above (I hope you don't mind). Here are before and after images. The only difference is a few clicks of the mouse.

I don't have any vested interest in the software, I just like it and thought I would pass it on.

Sbuddy1.jpgSbuddy2.jpg

[This message was edited by geospotter on October 22, 2002 at 03:00 PM.]

Were we supposed to go back at least 25 years?

Argus 75 (my first camera)

Exa Original (wish I still owned it)

Exacta 500 (wish I still owned it too)

Earlier version of the Pentax IQ Zoom

Agfa 1280

icon_wink.gif

Quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. - Groucho Marx

quote:
Originally posted by kavuday:

Yeah, it was cool to see another deviant here. Blew me away when I saw the title 'Beetle Headlight'. I thought 'Nahh, couldn't be'.

Anyways, here are few shots I've taken while out geocaching. Not a very technical shooter, just get lucky sometimes...atleast _I_ think so icon_biggrin.gif.

http://www.icehouse.net/kavuday/dockside.jpg

I like this one (dockside) a lot... except the lensflare... Cool photo...

geosig.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Too many cameras to list. I started 25 years ago.

Does anyone here use PhotoGenetics software from QBeo?

I looked for their site, but it seems to have disappeared. I think free downloads are still available, so do a search.

Is this the stuff? PhotoGenetics I'll have to give it a shot. Photoshop & Jasc are nice, but for on the fly, something a little less complex would be great.

"Gimpy"