Vacation Planning (out west)

Hello all,

I am from Oklahoma and me and my dad are planning on taking somewhat of a survey of the states west of here..probably hit NM, AZ, CA, OR, WA..and others im sure...anyway, I know this doesn't have to do with geocaching but I was wondering if some of you from your experiences travleing, or perhaps planning caching trips could tell me what your favorite tools are for planning a trip like this? Any really good websites? The trip will most likely be about 9 days long, we hope to see a lot of things along the way, so suggestions on things to see would be appreciated to...I may have to accidently get some caches along the way too hehe :-)

Thanks

HipsterDo0fus

Edmond, OK

on my last major road trip the web as we know it today didn't really exist. back then I used one of those book-sized American road atlases. think the one I had was from AAA. probably Rand McNally would have a great in-print atlas with attractions, parks and gas stations, etc.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

Do you have any specific destinations in mind? Try www.nps.gov to find out info on all the National Parks you might be goin' by.

It really all depends what type of stuff you're looking for... historic, prehistoric, natural wonders, alien encounters (area 51)..... A fairly good place to start is to look up the state government websites under the travel categories.

If you have some specific things you want to see, and are wondering about cool places to stop off in between, you might want to post in the SW states forum.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

Thanks for the tips so far. I plan on seeing a lot of natural sites mostly, but also wouldn't mind a few other things along the way. Thanks for the help on finding out about national parks....any other tips on interested places to visit would be a help.

Also, I am looking for the best way to plan out the trip with all the points mapped out and such. Thanks for all the help,

HipsterDo0fus

...3 must stop and see sites in my book would be Carlsbad caverns in New Mexico,the grand canyon and hoover dam(take the tour) in Arizona.Might want to check out meteor crater in Az also.

Edit to add : In Kalifornia, a drive through/visit of yosemite national park should be a must do also.

In my family we're big Yellowstone National Park fans. The kids and I took a looping trip from Texas up through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, over to Yellowstone, then back down through Idaho, Utah, back to Colorado, New Mexico, and back to Houston. It was a 17 day trip so we had plenty of time (6 nights, 7 days, in Yellowstone) and we didn't have to rush. We also hit about 16 caches along the way. You can't go wrong by going up to Yellowstone, and there are a few virtual caches inside the park, and PLENTY of traditional caches all around.

Just my small contribution.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I'll second Grand Canyon. If you have backpacking equipment, and are in good shape, an overnight stay at Indian Gardens would be a nice trip. Personally, I'd recommend you stay the whole time at the Canyon icon_biggrin.gif

If you're visiting the South side, see if you can get to Shishone Point (East of the Village) to watch sunrise/sunset. Or just to enjoy the view without dozens of other ppl. A nice little spot most don't know about, though it can be reserved for weddings and park staff parties. I plan to get the coords and make it a virtual when I'm there next year. Be careful thou, this is one spot they don't fence off.

The North Rim is also worth a look-see.... less developed in general. Try Cape Final(nice little hike there- relatively flat, but a couple of miles I think) for a less-visited N. Rim spot. There's several virts on each rim and at least 1 physical just outside the park on each rim. You can do a drive-through of Zion NP if you plan to visit N Rim and Vegas. Warning, it's pretty much an all day trip from N Rim to Vegas, but the drive-through Zion is definately worth it.

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish... -Enya, Anywhere Is

[This message was edited by Squirrel Nut on June 24, 2003 at 09:38 AM.]

Forget the Hoover Dam tour. I have taken the tour in the past, but it's nothing but a rip-off now. Used to be that you would be able to walk out at the bottom of the Dam and look up the wall. Now they give you some BS about "homeland security" and although you get to see about 5 minutes of the generator room, they won't let you go outside at the bottom of the Dam anymore. Oh, and they charge you more for the tour, too. I took my friend to it while he was down here visiting and it was a big disappointment. If you look over the edge of the Dam when you go to visit, you will see the line across the sidewalk at the bottom of the Dam where the tour used to go out to. All we saw was rock tunnel and the elevator down. Don't waste your money. Two thumbs-down to the paid tour these days.

There's quite a bit to see in AZ along I-40! I'm biased, of course, living in AZ...but in Winslow they have a nice downtown area with a park dedicated to the Eagles song "Take it Easy," complete with a bronze statue of a man standin' on the corner, a girl in a flatbed Ford painted on a mural behind him icon_smile.gif I believe there is a cache there as well.

I'll second the Meteor Crater suggestion as well, it's quite a sight, as are the museum and NASA equipment there.

Have a fun and safe trip, sounds like it'll be great!

How far south are you coming? If to this area, I can type it in. If not, I won't bother.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Wow thanks for all the info so far. Right now it sounds like we are going to be going north from Oklahoma City, to Denver then Rocky Mountain Park, Then up to YellowStone, then on up through montana and Idaho and eventually over to Seattle. Then we plan on going mostly down the coast, through the redwoods, then on into California. From california, we will eventually come back on I-40.

I had Definately planned to hit the Grand Canyon as well, and mostly likely the crater too. I also plan on making a special stop for a picture of me standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona icon_smile.gif.

Again thanks for all the tips so far. Right now I am planning the stops that are closes to our route, and side trips that are a ways off of there will be an option if we have time. (Oh and if anyone knows of any good eat places on the way, that would be nice too icon_smile.gif ).

HipsterDoOfus

Edmond, OK

Hey Hipster glad to hear you haven't completely disappeared. Haven't heard from you lately.

Rocky Mountain is a great park. Be sure and get your reservations in early if you plan to stay in Estes. It might even be already booked up. You'll have a tough time getting a campsite there as well. Check out Bear Lake, and Fall River Road. Don't miss the awsome power of nature as seen at the Alluvial Fan either.

In Seattle my wife loved the fish market area. I didn't get to go but I say get some of the smoked Salmon Jerkey that she brought home to me.

In college me and a friend drove to the Grand Canyon from OKC to watch the sunset and then drove home. We stayed in Winslow and hit the crater the first night. Then saw the Canyon before driving home.

Take the loop, drive from Flagstaff on 89 first. If you take 89 you'll get to drop from 7300 feet to about 4200 feet in a 40 mile roller coaster to the bottom of the painted desert. You turn on 64 west from there.

Then Drive through the little CO river gorge area. I thought the deep narrow gorge was just about as cool as the canyon. I bought a few nice items from the Navajo road stands there. Of course then you can see the Canyon and come back to Flagstaff on 180 around the west side of Snow Bowl. Watch for the cattle guards and cattle signs. Almost hit a steer in the middle of the night on that road!

Last but not least, you might want to check out the Cadillac Graveyard on the way home near Amarillo.

Have fun!

-beatnik-

quote:
Originally posted by hipsterdoofus:

Wow thanks for all the info so far.

I also plan on making a special stop for a picture of me standing on a corner in Winslow, Arizona

If you will be waiting for "A Girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford", better take a lot of water with, AZ is hot this time of year.

Enjoy your trip.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Warrior:

If you will be waiting for "A Girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford", better take a lot of water with, AZ is hot this time of year.

He's not lyin'--water is a must in AZ icon_smile.gif I grew up in Winslow, so naturally I have to plug the "Standin' on the Corner" spot! I'd also recommend visiting the La Posada resort, restored from its 1930's glory, complete with a 5-star chef who moved over from Beverly Hills...seriously good food there icon_biggrin.gif

"You can freeze gum off of jeans?!"

Alrighty then....just to give you folks a better idea of where we are planning on going, I have made a seriously terrible quality map. I plan on working on it though and making it look nicer and adding more labels and such. It is kinda big though so I will just put up a link to it. It is at:

http://members.cox.net/hipsterdoofus/trip/map.jpg

So maybe that will show you roughly the route we are taking for help on stuff that may be along the way :-)

Thanks.

HipsterDo0fus

Edmond, OK

You HAVE to amend your map to a trip over to the Sierras to see Yosemite. Drive through the valley while you still can, they are thinking of closing it to all through traffic and making everybody bus in.

Seriously, though, Half Dome and Yosemite Valley are a must see in anybodys lifetime.

Driving through the redwoods, be sure you take the Avenue of the Giants.

If an infinite number of rednecks

riding in an infinite number of pickup trucks

fire an infinite number of bullets

at an infinite number of highway signs,

they will eventually produce all the world's

great literary works in Braille. [icon_smile.gif]

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

As you come down through California, make sure to coem down Highway 1. This will take you from just south of San Francisco all the way down to Monterey.

Plan on stopping in on the Boardwalk in Santa Cruz for a ride on one of the oldest wooden roller coasters i nthe world and enjoying the rest ofthe fun of a good old fashioned boardwalk, food, etc.

Then head down to Monterey for some fresh seafood that can't be beat!

Finally, I'll agree with some of the other posts....make sure to leave time to go through Yosemite - it's gorgeous!

Safe travels.

Cache wise, I might add that you should hit the Mingo cache in Kansas. It's an extremely easy drive by physical cache. It's near a major exit on I-70. You will go right past it on your way to Denver. Why should you visit? Mingo is the 7th cache ever placed, and the oldest currently active cache in existance.

Good spot to also pick up and leave travel bugs. I'll most likely place a few there on my way by this summer on the way to Colorado.

-beatnik-

And while in the Seattle area you must take the time to visit the Olympic Peninsula and the rain forest. Go to Forks in the NW corner and find the road up the Hoh River. If you are camping, there is room there. Spend some time exploring the area near the ranger station. While you are there check out Ruby Beach on the coast.

Weight Man

Thanks for more replies. Everyone is pushing Yosemite! :-) Well we will just have to see...currently we are stressed for time...this will tend to be more of a survey than getting to see lots of detail. An updated page for looking at this info is:

http://members.cox.net/hipsterdoofus/trip/

I plan on keeping this updated. Funny enough, I don't know how much geocaching i'll be able to do either, although wouldn't mind doing some that are quite easy and quite on the way! Again thanks for all the input.