What's your GPSr's name?

That's right. I know you're out there. Enthusiasts of any hobby are known to name their gear, so who's named their GPS?

I ask this because my wife sometimes refers to geocaching as my 'girlfriend', so I figure her rival for my affections should at least have a name. I was thinking of naming my little yellow mistress "Trixie", but I wonder if that's too obvious a name for an eTrex, like naming a dog "Spot" or a cat "Patches".

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

"Winter's just the curtain. Spring will take the bow"

-- Richard Shindell, Spring

Shortly after I got my Garmin V for Christmas, my wife and I were driving out of town trying to find a certain business. The V kept wanting us to go the wrong way down a one way street. In a tone that was mixed with frustration and smart a$$,(probably due to her neglect due to the fact I had just got my GPS) my wife blurted out - What's wrong can't the Quiz Master do everything? So it has stuck, my GPS unit is now refered to as The Quiz Master

mine is called "gps unit", or "gps", or "my gps", depending on the mood and formality of the occasion.sometimes i even tack on the "r", but that just about completes my list of cute names.

eant to guess what i've named my car and my guitar?

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

I started calling my lil yellow Etrex Ol' Faithful or Trusty since the latest firmware update to my MeriPlat messed things up. I tried to revert back to 4.02, which was much more stable on the mapping and less reliable with the electronic compass, but it crashed it. I had to force it into upload mode and reload 4.06, which is not "trusty" or "faithful."

My MeriPlat is just MeriPlat.

I call it "The Thing"

My dad used to forget names for things often, so the Remote Control for the telly became the "TV Machine" and yadda yadda yadda.

His penchant for attributing completely irrelevant names kinda stuck with me, and the GPSr is "The Thing"

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

I called my eTrex Legend T this long name:

Enemy of the State, Friend of Geocachers

icon_rolleyes.gif

I always doubt out gps receiver can secretly transfer siginals to the military. Then they can trace our action and catch us like the NSA doing in the movie "Enemy of the State".

My yellow eTrex was of course named "Old yellow" it was my trusty companion for literally thousands of trail miles.

A hiking partner I had for awhile when my Legend was my primary unit used to refer to it as "The Gadget" which is the name I still use for it. At first she would always say "what do you need that gadget for?" After a few trips however, when the route became questionable, she would generally say, "Okay, now which way does the gadget say we should go?"