Are we all going to die?!?!?

The bottom of my garmin gps v box says "WARNING! This product contains lead, a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm."

My first question is why does this product contain lead? Second why is it that the people in California are the only ones to know of the life threatining qualities of this product? And last but not least I'm curious if any of you have experienced any of these dangers? I don't mean to poke fun but evidently Garmin had a valid reason for including this warning.

OK, I started it, I know you guys will finish it. Have fun. icon_biggrin.gif

copcar15.gif

California is a special case. "The Nation State" is more restrictive than any other state when it comes to all kinds of things including retireing in another state "you earned the money here, so even if you move to Florida, we will tax it HERE".

Alas the days the the Bear Flag Republic seem to be over. Here in Idaho I guess they know I won't eat my GPS and don't require the warning that California does. Lead is probably used in the soldier that is used on the circuit boards etc. Inside the device. But I could be wrong.

I just heard form Garmin that new legislation has been handed down from the CA state court system requiring Garmin to include a warning on any of the gpsr's that have antennas due to the chance of falling on an extended antenna and impaling and oriface. Magellan has responded to this legislation by saying "our's is too short and stubby to pose a hazard to any oriface." icon_eek.gif

copcar15.gif

I just heard form Garmin that new legislation has been handed down from the CA state court system requiring Garmin to include a warning on any of the gpsr's that have antennas due to the chance of falling on an extended antenna and impaling an oriface. Magellan has responded to this legislation by saying "our's is too short and stubby to pose a hazard to any oriface." icon_eek.gif

copcar15.gif

quote:
why is it that the people in California are the only ones to know of the life threatining qualities of this product
I lived in California for many years. Everything is considered dangerous in California. Look at the zillions of warning labels on a simple step ladder. You can't even tell what color the ladder is.

How about a paint bucket. In CA they even have a picture of an infant drowning in a paint bucket. Give me a break.

I'd be more concerned about breathing the air in CA than in having your gps kill you.

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

quote:
Originally posted by Doombot:

I'll include this on Doombots'! "Geocachers gone wild!" video.

>>>>Camera zooms in "Oohh, I fell on my antenna...right into an orifice.... oh no, I lost my footing and fell again......>>>>>

But I digress.

Doombot!

Cachers gone wild video!? Really? Tell me more! Seriosly, are you making a video?

The Mountain Bike Guy.

17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

[This message was edited by MTBguy on July 19, 2002 at 11:04 AM.]

Would you like to see a bunch of middle aged people (mostly men, likely overweight) bearing their hairy (salt and pepper colored) chests and holding a GPS (that they have created a pet name for...something along the lines of "Dorothy"), doing sudo-sexual things with them???? I think not. Still want the video? Oh yeah, they have to stick their tongue out a lot, too.

(BTW, I thought that you were 17...you couldn't "star" in it for another year.) icon_eek.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Magnet:

The bottom of my garmin gps v box says "WARNING! This product contains lead, a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm."

My first question is why does this product contain lead? Second why is it that the people in California are the only ones to know of the life threatining qualities of this product?

See what happens when too many liberals get power. It's not so much big brother it's big mother. As Californians we're obviously not smart enough to take care of ourselves so we must be lead by the hand. IQ levels are quite low. What do you expect when you have 45% of registered voters being democrats.

If it wasn't such a pretty place I would have left long ago.

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache Magnet:

I just heard form Garmin that new legislation has been handed down from the CA state court system requiring Garmin to include a warning on any of the gpsr's that have antennas due to the chance of falling on an extended antenna and impaling and oriface

That's why I only use etrex GPSr's... no sharp corners on which to hurt yourself.

-- Mitch

quote:

Are we all going to die?!?!?

Yes. Even if you quit eating the circuit board in your GPSr, there will come a day that you ignore that one sign in California... you know, the one that says "Warning: The California State Board of Health and Sanity has determined that breathing, walking, speaking, and drinking water can cause adverse effects on personal lifespans..." If any number of warnings, signs, or disclaimers could keep one from kicking the ol' bucket, California would have a population of immortals.

quote:

...why is it that the people in California are the only ones to know of the life threatining qualities of this product?

I hate to say it, but it seems that they are the only ones that don't know. Apparently, that's why the warning exists in the first place. The purpose of signs, IMHO, is to make people aware of dangers or conditions of which they are not otherwise aware. I was driving to Monterey one day, stopped at a gas station, and saw a sign on a gas pump that said something to the effect of "Warning! Drinking gasoline can cause sickness, or even death!" Now, signs aren't put up for no reason, and if I were a betting man I'd say that more than one Darwin Award candidate out there has tried to refresh themselves with a cool, tingly taste of petrol from the nozzle, based upon my interpretation of the true text of that sign.

Warning: Laying in the middle of a busy freeway or hurling one's self from a tall building can cause slight discomfort, an increase in insurance premiums, or excitement in lawyers. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------------------------

Is it worth your dime to take away my two cents?

quote:
What do you expect when you have 45% of registered voters being democrats

Hey! I resemble that remark! I also use and love my Macintosh. icon_wink.gif

Us democrats might be a bit over protective, but at least we don't trust corporations to run everything! icon_razz.gif

BTW. Did you know the tangerine colored iMac actually tastes like tangerine. The beige PCs taste like beige too, though.

"I thought you said this was a quick find!" - My wife

quote:
Originally posted by Doombot:

Would you like to see a bunch of middle aged people (mostly men, likely overweight) bearing their hairy (salt and pepper colored) chests and holding a GPS (that they have created a pet name for...something along the lines of "Dorothy"), doing sudo-sexual things with them???? I think not. Still want the video? Oh yeah, they have to stick their tongue out a lot, too.

I was thinking more like a video about stupid geocachers, doing stuped things, while geocaching (like chewing on there GPS, or walking off a cliff while reading there GPS, or hiding a cache in a bears den.) That type of video might be intresting. So, are you making a video?

The Mountain Bike Guy.

17228_200.jpg

Long Live Long Rides!

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

Actually PC's taste just the same as Macs.

Macs are easy to lick, but it will cost you twice as much likcing a PC and you will be told when how and why to lick. First last and all licks in between are to Steve Jobs.

PC's are a little harder to lick but you get the option to build it yourself, put on whatever OS you want, and the only person you really HAVE to lick is yourself.

----------------------------

TeamWSMF@wsmf.org

icon_rolleyes.gif Hmmm... I'd say that the only reason my new Garmin tastes better than my old Magellan is that I haven't had a chance to drop it in a big, hot, steamy, pile of... icon_eek.gif oatmeal! Yeah, that's it... oatmeeeeeeeal. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

m:)

------------------------

STURGEON GENERAL WARNING: Fishing can decrease the risk of long-term employment, a meaningful relationship, and any chance of financial independence... Oh well.

One of the funniest comedians I ever saw recommended eliminating warning labels and weed out the gene pool. “Honey hand me the hair drier I’m almost finished in the shower.”

I love reading absurd warnings.

Whenever I see a stupid warning it means…

Someone has tried it; thought of doing it, or some lawyer believes someone will try it.

But it won't be from the lead in your GPS. The nut cases in the peoples republic of Kalifornia actually believe that they are going to live forever and that it will be "somebody elses fault" when they die. It is the worst place in the world for the blame game.

quote:
Originally posted by FullOn:

Us democrats might be a bit over protective, but at least we don't trust corporations to run everything! icon_razz.gif

why should it be either?? we could try....[[[warning not for liberals or, those who "trust corperations to run everything]]] take resposnibility for ourselves. some of us dont trust the government to run everything... like our lives...

Uhhhh… The whole point of this topic was to have fun, but it seems some just want to take the lighthearted jabbing a bit too far. There's a few like this in every crowd.

Too bad. Life's too short to get this worked up over silly things. Go outside and enjoy the sport. I will.

Well, getting back to the original post...

Since it does have lead in it, don't throw it in your regular garbage. The lead can leak through the landfills into your drinking water, and you will be indeed, consuming your GPS. . .

Our area has several drop off points that in the {gasp} unimaginable possibility that you must dispose of your GPS, you can recycle it and get a tax deduction.

A bit off the beaten-topic, but:

Isn't amazing that past generations survived until adulthood at all? icon_wink.gif

My dad tells me how they used to melt lead in pots on their stoves and then pour it into molds to make soldiers and other "action figures" of the day, when he was a kid. They also used to pour mercury into their hands and roll it up and down their arms. And he was, literally, a "rocket scientist" until his retirement. I wonder how much brighter he might have been ...

More relevant to my generation is what they are doing to all the playgrounds ... all the equipment we enjoyed playing on has been branded "unsafe," and has been replaced with immovable plastic monstrosities. The cynical part of me says safety has very little to do with these changes; limiting liability claims is the motiviating factor.