Just wondering...

If you organized a local caching event as an event cache, there's little you could do.

Otherwise, it's up to you. If it is YOUR event, and you have the right to invite whomever you wish. But, at the same time it could create some ill will if some of the invitees are friends with these people, so it might not be a bad idea to invite everyone (or simply make it an event cache to eliminate invitations), and just grin and bear it. Odds are there will be enough in attendance that interaction with the 'unliked' will be minimal.

Brian

Team A.I.

If your doing it as an event cache, you don't get much say in the matter. You are inviting everyone to attend. Same as with any other cache. You don't hide an ammo box in the woods and put on the cache page "cacher XXX can't come find this", do you? Event cache is the same way.

Besides, it might be a good time/place to resolve whatever issues you have with those people. Or a good time to understand this all still just a game about finding a box in the woods, and share a beer with the guy.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

If I were to organize a local caching event, would it be considered rude or inappropriate if I didn't invite one or two local cachers because I don't like them? Or would it just be childish?

It would be rude and childish. Why don't you like them? Did they disagree with you on some topic of discussion? icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gifThe greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....

Some people are just jerks. Not only that but they blame everyone else for having to be jerks.

You don't have to invite them, but dont expect the admins to approve the event if they are specifacly excluded.

So the solution to the problem?

1) An invitation only event. Post the caches later if you place any.

2) Make sure to LOUDLY invite some others who happen to be hated by cacher X. Make sure they LOUDLY RSVP that they are going to be there. People who dislike each other tend to stay away from each other if at all possible.

Childish is all in how you do things.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Renegade Knight wrote:

2) Make sure to LOUDLY invite some others who happen to be hated by cacher X. Make sure they LOUDLY RSVP that they are going to be there. People who dislike each other tend to stay away from each other if at all possible.

I'm not sure how to take this... are you being sarcastic?

childish.

on an event cache, everyone who can find the party has to be invited.

now, if you put it somewhere you know they don't like, it's their problem.

it doesn't matter if you get to camp at one or at six. dinner is still at six.

quote:

quote:
Renegade Knight wrote:

I'm not sure how to take this... are you being sarcastic?

Nope. Dead seriouse. It's entirely possible to arrange an event so that the person you don't want to come won't feel the desire. Problem solved. Women are very good at this kind of stuff. My solution probably isn't the only way to do the job, but it's direct, it's effective, and excludes nobody. They could decide to come anyway. You are just skewing the odds your direction.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

Some people who are AH's would show up just because they know they are not wanted there, it is part of being an AH.

Like several already stated it would be childish to simply not invite them, be an adult and invite everyone and show them you can handle it as an adult does.

quote:
georgeandmary wrote:

If you hold an event cache it's open to anyone who can find the coordinates. Just as if you had any traditional cache. If they show up, they can log the find. Odds are they won't show up but you can't exclude them.

Would it make a difference if the coords were just e-mailed to local cachers, excluding a select few instead of posting the coords on the site. Would it be considered childish or inappropriate to omit some cachers this way?

quote:
Chances are if they dislike you as much as you dislike them, they won't show.

I agree with Bloen on this one. Would you show up at an event if you knew the person throwing it didn't like you? I sure would'nt. Then again, you could always kill'em with kindness icon_smile.gif

Kar

Hey! Hey! Hey! Jomarac5, It's me GeoChamp. Are you planning an event Cache? If you are I would certainly hope you would invite me being that we're from the same neck of the woods. All I can say is that I would think it to be very rude and child like not to invite local cachers to an event. It takes a real man to extend an invitation regardless of any ill feelings.

The GeoChamp! :cheers:

quote:

quote:
georgeandmary wrote:

If you hold an event cache it's open to anyone who can find the coordinates. Just as if you had any traditional cache. If they show up, they can log the find. Odds are they won't show up but you can't exclude them.

Would it make a difference if the coords were just e-mailed to local cachers, excluding a select few instead of posting the coords on the site. Would it be considered childish or inappropriate to omit some cachers this way?

If it is just going to be a private get-together then private email will work, but if you are planning to make it an event cache then your way is wrong and probably will not be allowed anyway to become an official event cache.

Hey, it's your party! e-Mail the unwanted ones and say 'Don't come!' Then, if they do turn up, hang them up by the thumbs from a handy tree and then invite anyone who wants to, to throw rotting veggies at them.

On the other hand, yeah, it's probably a bit childish. BUT, option one could be a lot of fun huh!

Only nuts eat squirrels,

Snake

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions and comments -- each and every post has a lot of merit (well, maybe Snoogans comment was off a bit icon_wink.gif ).

I'm not planning to host any kind of event in the near future but I was thinking about this scenario and wanted to get some opinions from the people on this board. I too, agree that it would be a very childish action to purposefully exclude anyone in the local community.

Of all the posts, I think Mopar's advice is the most sensible and logical.

quote:
Mopar wrote:

Besides, it might be a good time/place to resolve whatever issues you have with those people. Or a good time to understand this is all still just a game about finding a box in the woods, and share a beer with the guy.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.