graveyard hides

I have always been interested in the history found in super old grave yards. To see how short a life span kids had in the early 1800's is an eye opener to my kids. I live in Texas and have a book about historical grave sites etc. There is also a very cool website with LAT/LON of old and also abandoned grave yards. Some of these are so close to me, right in a neighborhood of yuppie dwellers that would never know a freedman's ( as in freed black slaves) is right behind their backyard fence.

My husband and I reserched one particular spot near us. We would like to place a cache there with the history and research we found. This is along side a public creek area and behind the private property and fence line of the home owners.

There is a cache we found not to far away from us in a similar place. We found it so interesting to see a group of German settlers burried next to a neighborhood pool and water tower, but covered in vines and trees. You would never know it was there had it not been for the cahce co-ords.

So my question is, does anyone find this disrespectful to the dead? My hope is to draw some interest and maybe start a "cache in trash out" to provide a more dignified resting spot.

This subject has been visited several times before and the consensus seems to be that as long as the hide is done tastefully, and it's in an historic cemetary (rather than an active one where you may encounter mourners), it's OK.Here is one search that has a few hits on this subject and here is another.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

I've done several cemetary caches, from modern active actives, to old abandoned ones.

My feeling as long as the site isn't disturbed, there's no problem with it. They're great for virtuals, for example.

If a physical cache is placed, I think it should be off to the side of the cemetary. I haven't seen anyone bold enough to hide a physical cache in the cemetary proper, but I wouldn't be suprised if someone has.

I've seen some old cemetaries with old broken down crypts that look like they would be perfect for hiding a cache, but I sure wouldn't feel right about it.

George

quote:
If a physical cache is placed, I think it should be off to the side of the cemetary. I haven't seen anyone bold enough to hide a physical cache in the cemetary proper, but I wouldn't be suprised if someone has.

I've found some. One that comes to mind was in an historic cem in Sacramento. The place was like a park, complete with picnic tables, so why not a geocache?

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

We also think that as long as it's not within the cemetary itself, it's a terrific place for learning the history of an area. We just found one this last weekend - "Final Resting Spot" Way point GCGD9R - that was facinating. The couple that placed it are geneolgy buffs with lots of family history. We spent a lot more time wandering thru the cemetary looking at headstones than we spent looking for the cache.

Many years ago (before our geocaching days) we used to wander around in old cemetaries in Colorado just because we found it interesting. With a cache at the end - there's just an added bonus now!

"Geocaching expands your horizons - not your butt!"

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

I've found some. One that comes to mind was in an historic cem in Sacramento. The place was like a park, complete with picnic tables, so why not a geocache?

That's true. Some of the early "Memorial Parks" were intended to be a place for the dead to rest, and for the living to play and picnic. I bet that park was one of those.

George

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

...My feeling as long as the site isn't disturbed, there's no problem with it. They're great for virtuals, for example.

If a physical cache is placed, I think it should be off to the side of the cemetary. I haven't seen anyone bold enough to hide a physical cache in the cemetary proper...

I've seen some old cemetaries with old broken down crypts that look like they would be perfect for hiding a cache, but I sure wouldn't feel right about it.

George

I'm in agreement here. Though I gotta admit. If was dead and my tombstone had a secrete compartment in it I'd sure get a kick out of everyone getting skunked. Still just because I'd feel that way dead doesn't mean I wouldn't extend a little respect on this side of the line.

Personally I have went on two graveyard finds, and also placed two myself. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as it is not placed around a grave. Mostly I think it is up to the individual geocacher to use common sense when going on Graveyard finds.

---------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kaz:

There is a cache we found not to far away from us in a similar place. We found it so interesting to see a group of German settlers burried next to a neighborhood pool and water tower, but covered in vines and trees. You would never know it was there had it not been for the cahce co-ords.

The cemetary is overgrown? That's not right. Someone should be caring for it. Growing up in rural North Texas, there were many abandoned graveyards around. My scout troop cleaned up many of these and returned to a somewhat more respectable state.

If you like to research gravehards and gravesites, perhaps you can dig around a little and see who owns the land now and perhaps organize an event to clean up the graveyard.

quote:
So my question is, does anyone find this disrespectful to the dead?

I wouldn't think so. Cemetaries are there for the *living*, to remember those who've passed before us. Done respectfully, with an eye towards the hostory of those interred there, I think a cache would be just fine.

Then again, I'm not the one who approves the things...

-- Robert

"I drank WHAT?!?" -- Socrates

The first multi-cache I ever did, and about my 4th cache total was Graveyard Grumble here in Rochester, NY. It was in a beautiful old cemetery that I had been meaning to visit since I moved to Rochester. The first stop was Susan B. Anthony's grave, which added to the historical aspect of this cache.

The cache was hidden in the cemetery as well, but in an area away from where all the graves were. This still ranks as one of my favourite caches in the area.

-Junglehair

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

I always thought I'd like to be cremated, but maybe instead I'll specify that I'm to be buried with a microcache compartment in my headstone...

I'd just need someone to post it. Maybe I'd have my wife (or whoever) post it as me. Wouldn't that be creepy? Finding a cache posted by a dead person on their own headstone?

It might be considered a vacation cache, though.

I guess we'll see what the state of geocaching is in 100 years when I'm about ready to kick off.

After I got my father (aged 72) hooked on geocaching he placed a cache in the cemetary where his parents are interred. It is placed on the perimeter of the cemetary under a bush. The main reason he placed it there was that it provides a great view of Sundance Mountain in Wyoming. So, at least one "mourner" is ok with a cache located near his deceased loved ones. To echo several others here, common sense is the rule of thumb to use.

Since I started geocaching I have always intended to setup a virtual multi-cache in the local cemetary here in Indy, the 2nd largest in the US, apparently. It has several notables interred there and I've always thought that using their headstones as the various stages would provide a very interesting historical seek for geocachers.

Just to clarify.. I did NOT mean to put a cache on, near or in any graves! I meant put them in or under a tree nearby. I won't even step on a grave as I was taught that was disrespectful as a child.

I am meaning to bring interest in an area in need of rehabilitation.

Rubber Ducky!

That Sundance Mountain cache was one of the coolest Dean and I had ever been to. We arrived just as a huge dry thunderstorm blew into the area and watched the lightening play on Sundance Mountain while we stood next to the Iron fence surrounding the graveyard. (no, we didn't stay there long!) It is well patrolled by the local cops also as we were checked on while leaving the area. (yes officer, we found who we were looking for...) It was well hidden and was not on /near any gravesites and had a great view of the surrounding mountains.

Can you tell I am all for graveyard caches when placed respectfully?

-Jennifer

Age does not bring wisdom, but it does give perspective.

quote:

Just to clarify.. I did NOT mean to put a cache on, near or in any graves! I meant put them in or under a tree nearby. I won't even step on a grave as I was taught that was disrespectful as a child.

Tree or no tree, not only is that still tacky and disrespectful, it's also against the caching rules of hiding on private property without getting permission. It's also illegal as you are trespassing. Cemetaries are open for the purpose of visiting people's graves not to be hiding containers for others to romp through the cemetary while they're looking for your cache. Who appointed you to decide that a private area is in need of rehabilation?

By the way, how would you feel if I decided to hide a cache in a dead tree by a stream on your property and invited strangers to come by and tromp on your property? Without asking you first?

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

George

Um, I did. icon_smile.gif It's semi-active. It's just about full. It's also supposed to be haunted. (the real reason I hid it there)click here

Never invoke anything bigger than your head.

A good portion of the gravesites that I have been too have been open to the public, but I do see your point. I personally think that common sense should be used, but to outright ban graveyard caches I believe is a little too harse.

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

quote:

Tree or no tree, not only is that still tacky and disrespectful, it's also against the caching rules of hiding on private property without getting permission. It's also illegal as you are trespassing. Cemetaries are open for the purpose of visiting people's graves not to be hiding containers for others to romp through the cemetary while they're looking for your cache. Who appointed you to decide that a private area is in need of rehabilation?

By the way, how would you feel if I decided to hide a cache in a dead tree by a stream on your property and invited strangers to come by and tromp on your property? Without asking you first?

Alan

---------------------------------------------------------

Pardon me Sir, but there is a Wild GeoCache in this area.

www.neurocache.com - NeuroNomad & Sublonde's Page