Poll: How are you going to spend your Tax Refund???

GOT GPS?

It is a long story. But it will be added to the $4k already in the bank, and it will sit as a strike fund. Our contract is up for negotiation this June. With my military retirement covering the house payment, nearly $10k in the bank, and a full-time job at wal-mart, I can go a long time before I need to worry.

If we get a contract, and I expect we will, my wife will get a new van. Something to take her 4 Texas Chihuahuas (Great Danes) out all together. Her Dodge mini-van only holds 2, and has over a 1/4 million miles on it.

Well, that's my story.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

Tax refund? What's that? Didn't your mother ever tell you that the best thing is to break even on withholding at the end of the year and the second-best thing is to owe money? Do you like giving interest-free loans to the IRS?

Of course, it's possible to overdo the "owing money" thing. The IRS doesn't like it if you do that too many years in a row, because they don't get the free money they've come to expect from you. So don't overdo it, or you'll end up paying in quarterly installments (which is still better than loaning $1500 of your own money to Uncle Sam for a year.)

warm.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Tax refund? What's that? Didn't your mother ever tell you that the best thing is to break even on withholding at the end of the year and the second-best thing is to owe money? Do you like giving interest-free loans to the IRS?

Vern, is that you? icon_biggrin.gif

That was, verbatim, what a former employer once told me.

Anyway, as for me, I'm expecting ~$700 back this year. Tough to break exactly even, with the pay structure that I have, but amazingly enough I usually do end up with roughly the same amount overpaid each year.

My money is going towards debt repayment, since I'm a naughty little american.

quote:
Originally posted by Warm Fuzzies - Fuzzy:

Of course, it's possible to overdo the "owing money" thing. The IRS doesn't like it if you do that too many years in a row, because they don't get the free money they've come to expect from you. So don't overdo it, or you'll end up paying in quarterly installments (which is still better than loaning $1500 of _your own money_ to Uncle Sam for a year.)

http://216.202.195.127/warm.gif

Try jumping a tax bracket!

Between my wife and I this year we jumped a tax bracket, and for the first time in 17 years of marriage, we owe BIG-TIME! I have been able to go tax-exempt for up to 6 months out of the year and still get a little back. Tried it this year for just 4 months and I owe $2500! OUCH!!!

I am gonna hafta rethink this for this year!

I can go anywhere!! ... (if my wife lets me)

Taxes? What taxes?

"Taxes are for the little people." -- Leona Hemsley, shortly before being arrested for tax evasion.

The best arrangement is to owe Uncle Sam as much as you can on April 15 without incurring an underpayment penalty. Then invest enough each paycheck so you have that amount in April. Very few people have predictable enough income and tax status each year to do that, so I try to break even. A multiple thousand dollar refund would really tick me off, since as mentioned above it is an interest free loan to Uncle Sam.

========================================

Friends don't let Friends geocache drunk.

I am along with the self-employed group on this

one!!!!! What tax refund!!!!!!!! That would be

a nice thing,,but old sam always wants more at

the end of the year!!!!

Team madapple

Some one start another thread for the self employed to see how many of us there are and

what we do!!!!

Exploring the world,,,one Cache at a time !!!!!

quote:
Expenses and/or caching supplies.

Nearly $600 back, and it will nearly payoff my high rate credit card.

Got the refund yesterday, from my Tax submission on about the 5th.

I got my mind set on either the Street Pilot III, or The new Garmin PDA/GPS.

If I get the Garmin Ique 3600, I would like to be able to use my MeriPlat 128 meg SD Memory card in the garmin, and view the Platinum's tracklog on the Garmin, would be neat. Problem would be the wearing out the SD memory card slots though.

------------------------

5_Rubik.gifMy home page about GPS units and information

I'm thinking I will start a geocaching chat room. I think it'd be nice to have a common place for us to all shoot the crap and talk about geocaching. And then I might pay someone to make a FAQ page for the Geocaching.com web site so that newbies can have a place to look up some guidelines about geocaching. Then I might see if I can fund some search pages for the forums for the newbies too. If I have any money left over, I might buy majicman's book. Not sure what I'll do with it unless it has pictures, but I can put it on my shelf and look important.

Some people are like Slinkies . . . not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.

We usually get about 3K back. I know, I know, I shouldn't be giving the government an interest-free loan, but it does force savings which would probably be spent on knick-knack-paddy-whacks instead. We'll probably pay some on momma's new Tribute, of which we also got an interest-free loan.

36800_400.JPG

I don't see the harm of giving the Gov an interest free loan.

I wouldn't invest it if I had it all year around. I would just blow it on little things from month to month. I just look at it like an interest free trust fund.[icon_biggrin.gif]

Instead over the years I've bought cars and many big ticket items.

This year I bought a new PDA for caching. A Home entertainment system, and still had money for a ski trip to Big White in B.C.

The little spending sprees are fun.

39197_2100.gif

Do not extend your expectations unto others, you will not be disappointed by the stupid things they do.

Mokita!

heh,heh,...I have to join in with the other self employed here. Like Arlo Guthrie said, "I didn't get nothin', I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage."

But that has been remedied for now. I broke down and got a *real* job this week.

Dennis "The Menace" Mitchell