3 silly

Anything posted by Criminal

quote:
Originally posted by M1sterHyde:

4 abusive

Anything posted by Brian Snat

quote:

That way you can know who to take seriously.

Never anything posted by me. icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Maybe a section for "Off Topic" threads is the answer to some of it. That way people can not have to worry about what goes on in there)OT forum) when they are wanting to talk about caching and GPS'. Then those who are bored can be silly if they want.

Gee, I wish I had thought of that. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

If I'm a geocacher does anything I say in the forums for the purpose of talking with other geocachers qualify as 'on topic'? If I really wanted to discuss say "Guns" for use for protection when we know dadgum well geocachers find all kinds of idiots out there then it's on topic. If I wanted to discuss it at work I'm mostly get the anti gun people instead of the mix in the forums.

I am a geocacher,

because I speak

on topic I am.

Or some such drivel.

quote:
Originally posted by Cruzin!:

Is there anybody else that has grown tired of the attitude of TPTB as of late?

I do, but not because I want to see harm come to Jeremy or Groundspeak. I'd like to see some real competition come around so TPTB have a REASON to treat their CUSTOMERS well and continue to remain innovative. There's a reason that anti-trust laws exist and the same concepts apply to any situation where there's a monopoly.

Amen to that! How about we just drop this TPTB thing and get everyone used to the fact that we are indeed PAYING CUSTOMERS, at least many of us are. And just how many of us are there anyway?

Never had a problem with the forums, but I went back and forth with a volunteer approver over a cache that was archived without notice. All I requested was a quick note (surely easy to automate somehow) saying "hey, check up on your cache or it's going to be archived in X number of days". After a few emails with copies to Groundspeak I received an official response saying something to the effect "that's a great idea, but we're way too busy to do that, sorry".

Suffice it to say, I would have been pretty peeved if I got that response from someone at Garmin Customer Support.

Been wanting to say that for awhile now. Feel much better now!

quote:
Really?? Then why has this thread not been locked down?

Beats me, has a mod even looked at it yet? If you want a definitive answer, ask the mod. Or was that a rhetorical question?

quote:
I think Criminal found a different way to voice his previous concerns. The only thing final is death. As long as there is a fourm, you will never stop opinions. You can lock it down time and time again, but unless you ban the author, you will never stop him.

Organ recipients would disagree, but that’s another whole post. The idea is not to limit opinions, it’s to limit the wildfires. If a mod believes that the post is going to hell in a handbasket, it’s their job to close the thread, regardless of the thread is justified in itself or it’s nothing more than a idiotic back-and-forth. It’s not that someone disagrees with someone’s opinion and decides to lock the thread, it trying to keep some amount of order. If there is a problem with a mod ‘abusing’ their authority, they need to have someone over their head notified. Posting a new thread about it will probably do nothing more that what this one is doing.

quote:
There is no stopping a man who believes he's right and still keeps coming at you.

Business end of a .45 says different. But, the point is, belief in yourself doesn’t mean you are right. Hitler thought he was right. Mussolini thought he was right.

-------------------------------------------

http://www.hardcorebodybuildingontheweb.com

quote:
Originally posted by SkyeMaloney:

quote:
Really?? Then why has this thread not been locked down?

Beats me, has a mod even looked at it yet? If you want a definitive answer, ask the mod. Or was that a rhetorical question?

quote:
I think Criminal found a different way to voice his previous concerns. The only thing final is death. As long as there is a fourm, you will never stop opinions. You can lock it down time and time again, but unless you ban the author, you will never stop him.

Organ recipients would disagree, but that’s another whole post. The idea is not to limit opinions, it’s to limit the wildfires. If a mod believes that the post is going to hell in a handbasket, it’s their job to close the thread, regardless of the thread is justified in itself or it’s nothing more than a idiotic back-and-forth. It’s not that someone disagrees with someone’s opinion and decides to lock the thread, it trying to keep some amount of order. If there is a problem with a mod ‘abusing’ their authority, they need to have someone over their head notified. Posting a new thread about it will probably do nothing more that what this one is doing.

quote:
There is no stopping a man who believes he's right and still keeps coming at you.

Business end of a .45 says different. But, the point is, belief in yourself doesn’t mean you are right. Hitler thought he was right. Mussolini thought he was right.

I will bet a weeks pay...all 54.00 that the admins have read this thread.

The difference between Hitler and Mussolini vs Criminal...is they were wrong.

Organ transplant or not...dead is dead.

business end of a .45...let me re-phrase...The only way to stop a man that knows he's right and keeps coming at you, is to kill him. How's that?

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

quote:
SkyeMaloney wrote:

The idea is not to limit opinions, it’s to limit the wildfires. If a mod believes that the post is going to hell in a handbasket, it’s their job to close the thread, regardless of the thread is justified in itself or it’s nothing more than a idiotic back-and-forth.

I very much agree that opinions should not be limited, but you make it sound as if the first action of defense is to close the thread as soon as it gets a bit heated.

My belief is that if a moderator is on top of the discussion and is good at moderating they will moderate -- i.e., they will intervene and get the discussion back on topic and at the same time express in a friendly manner to the offending poster that their off topic remarks are not warranted. If the offending poster continues, their off topic post is deleted and if they continue to disrupt the conversation, they may be banned from posting at all. It is paramount that the moderator at no time express an opinion of their own. Moderating is not an easy task.

It's a simple thing really -- keep the discussion on topic or lose your posting privileges (which does not infer that humour or friendly 'sparring' is not allowed).

In a nutshell, it's all about respect -- for the board owner, the moderators, the topic, the other discussion participants, and self-respect as well. Having respect for yourself and others will keep the discussions friendly AND productive.

I leave you guys and gals alone for just a day and see what happens???? LOL.

To be honest, while having a great deal of respect for Criminal I have noticed the past few days the forums did get pretty wild and wooly. While I thought it was just a flash in the pan, something that would go on till we all got bored with it (which I did pretty quick, actually, even though I also participated in some of it....sigh) and things would pretty much go back to normal. In my line of work you see the same thing a lot. Unfortunately in most management situations people forget there are more than two answers to the question; What should be done?

Usually when asked that question people think of options of what to do. We must DO something. Well, the option that is usually forgotten is, Do Nothing. It is an option but we're usually not geared that way. My very humble belief is that things got out of hand a bit, but still, to have done nothing might have been the thing to do rather than the reaction we saw. Of course, things could have spiraled completely out of control, but what then? The world would not have come to an end, not for a forum being off-topic...LOL. There have been some legitimate issues of late and my feeling is everyone was just blowing off a little steam. Harmless. It happens. Safety valves do it all the time.... hint, hint, hint.

From time to time, people like to act like they're kids, I know I do. I get very little opportunity to do so, and if I get the chance it has to be in a venue where no harm is done and my responsibilities are not affected..... like in the forums, for example? This is a hobby, an activity, a sport if you will, and it's not the end all and be all of my existence. I enjoy this hobby, I enjoy spending time with my kids participating in this hobby, and that is the main aspect I am here for. I also enjoy coming to the forums and trading opinions, gotchas, and barbs every once in a while as it is mentally challenging and makes my day more interesting sometimes. After a day of working and then coming home to take care of the kiddos I can always use some distraction and the forums rarely dissapoint me.

So to bring this verbose entry to a close; I like it here, I like this activity, I like to post and I like to read the posts of others. However, I really don't see a deep need for toooo much adult supervision in here. Some, for sure, but a light touch might be more in line with the purposes to which we use it.

Just my most humble opinion, of course.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

quote:
Breaktrak wrote:

...I like this activity, I like to post and I like to read the posts of others. However, I really don't see a deep need for toooo much adult supervision in here. Some, for sure, but a light touch might be more in line with the purposes to which we use it.

I agree. Well put.

Jomarac5, I agree completely. A mod has to let a post reach a point where there is nothing good to come from letting it continue to evolve. There is a ‘point of no return’ in each post that is turning sour. It’s most defiantly not the job of the mod to act as a tyrant and lock without a consistent and level hand. Not only that but the last post should always be by the mod giving an explanation of the reasoning behind the locking.

Even in the case of an unjust locking, starting a new post wont solve anything. Your preaching to the choir. You have to go higher up in the food chain.

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

quote:
Woodsters wrote:

No isn't me...maybe it's jomarac5?

Woody, Woody, Woody, we've been doing so well here today.

So now you know how it feels right???

(edited to show additional humour: icon_smile.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.giffrog.gif)

[This message was edited by canadazuuk on August 19, 2003 at 08:19 PM.]

I too lost my reply as the 'OTHER' thread was closed.

As best I can recall, here it is:

This is not your playground.

a) You are not a child. You do not need a playground.

:P This is my playground. Go and get your own.

c) This is someone else's playground. I am keeping it for them.

d) The difference between playing and groundspeaking is lost on you. If you keep playing, you will not be able to Groundspeak.

e) There is no playground. There is an opportunity. You can freely choose what to do with it. I am here only to remind you that you have a choice.

<Slightly OT, but somehow appropriate on this thread, it seems>

I ran a snippet of his response through my BS deleter, and I think I've figured out our new member's true identity.

quote:

...Oh, you mean...? Certainly. You mean...? Yes. You mean...? Unfortunately so...

I'm guessing Donald H. Rumsfeld ! icon_eek.gif

Welcome to the family, Mr. Secretary! icon_biggrin.gif

worldtraveler

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

"no interesting topics till the regulars go away"

Hey, watch it. Errr, wait, no interesting topics with them here. Doot, now I'm confused.... icon_razz.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

quote:

I'll bet Hitler and Mussolini would shut down threads they disagreed with too.

Ok, I hereby invoke Godwin's Law. But before I do:

quote:

My thanks to both Woodster and Verboten.

I see your reading comprehension skills are only rivaled by your debate skills.

-Vb

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:
...(the regular arses that make appearance though, they would be included for sure...)

I like how you said that. Your backside is showing along with the 99 others you were talking about.

My hero!

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Sacred cows make the best hamburger....Mark Twain.

quote:
Originally posted by Snoogans:

My hero!

Your standards are a little low! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

It was fully intended that I was calling myself an arse.

People want moderation on the forums, but don't want accountability.

My idea is for folks to have accountability partners and be self moderating.

As for the comparisons of admins to Hitler etc... those threads deserve locking.

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

quote:
Originally posted by martmann:

I also agree that a 'general' forum should be just short of a free-for-all, with off topic posts and threads being acceptable and encouraged, it helps people get to know each other better. In most boards that I frequent the 'general' forum is that way, and it works great.

I agree, but with somewhat of a difference. I will use my message board(outdoors) as an example. I have 'General" areas which are for general discussion on that particular subject (normally). Then there is an "Off Topic" discussion area, for stuff not related to the others. But stuff that is related does go in there and that is no problem.

Maybe a section for "Off Topic" threads is the answer to some of it. That way people can not have to worry about what goes on in there)OT forum) when they are wanting to talk about caching and GPS'. Then those who are bored can be silly if they want.

Brian

_As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump_

That would work for me.

If trees could scream, would we still cut them down?

Well, maybe if they screamed all the time, for no reason.

Click here for my Geocaching pictures and Here (newest)

Request Processed

Thank you for contributing to this forum. Your message has been put into a message queue due to one or more trigger words in your post.

If the moderators approve your post, then it will appear in the forum.

close this window

=================================================

This is the message I got when I just tried to post an exerpt from "History of geocaching."--yahoo search.

The History of Geocaching

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Tell me you are kidding. I have seen the scout pages here and there, I even tried geodashing.

Did you really get that message?

Yes...I really got that message. icon_frown.gif

The most recent forum/general page shows:

Topic Topic Starter Replies Views Rating Last Post

LOCKDOWN! Page 1 2 Criminal 86 1527 August 20, 2003 04:41 AM

by canadazuuk

As of 4:51 AM, your post (canadazuuk) is not showing........must be jet lag.

Or maybe we're just talking to ourselves, here! icon_eek.gif

A couple of things...I noticed Mopar hasn't posted to these....is he possibly the new guy? icon_biggrin.gif

Also on a note of the last few messages aon here (not the cat breath), I heard that if you type in a certain other websites name that it will censor it and boot you to a mod. Anyone here of anything like that?

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

I recall some issue over the word 'geocaching', and have heard conflicting reports about whether there is a trademark (or wordmark?) on it.

Typed Drawing--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Word Mark GEOCACHING Goods and Services IC 041. US 100 101 107. G & S: Providing on-line information for a GPS based treasure hunting game. FIRST USE: 20000801. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20000801IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Clothing, namely shirts, hats, vests, jackets, shoes and pants. FIRST USE: 20000801. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 20010126 Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING Serial Number 78045228 Filing Date January 26, 2001 Supplemental Register Date February 20, 2002 Registration Number 2619174 Registration Date September 10, 2002 Owner (REGISTRANT) GROUNDED INC. CORPORATION WASHINGTON 2111 3RD AVENUE WEST SEATTLE WASHINGTON 98119 Type of Mark TRADEMARK. SERVICE MARK Register SUPPLEMENTAL Live/Dead Indicator LIVE 

--

Pehmva!

Random quote:

sigimage.php