Seti@home

Before I start please feel free to remove this post if it is in the wrong forum but it is the only one I could see to post it in. I have just set up a seti@home team for any geocachers from around the world to join if they wish. It is called Geocachers of the world unite. The URL to the page is here http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_167979.html

Mark (TheCat)

www.geocacheuk.com

Officially recognized by Groundspeak and Geocaching.com

quote:
Originally posted by TheCat:

http://www.geocacheuk.com

I never knew that Groundspeak endorsed stats sites and regional offsite forums. When did they start doing that, and how do we get them to endorse all the other geocaching clubs in the world?

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

quote:

I never knew that Groundspeak endorsed stats sites and regional offsite forums. When did they start doing that, and how do we get them to endorse all the other geocaching clubs in the world?

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

I know, they could put a link to local geocaching groups on the state's page...

Check out Idaho

This is the state from the geocaching home page. It doensn't seem to work from the hide and seek page.

As for seti, this team is a geocaching team.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

=====================

quote:

quote:

quote:

+ _Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon. _

=====================

Yeah, I've seen that, but I never saw a banner on Dan's Stats Page that it was "officially recognized by Groundspeak". As a matter of fact, every post I've ever seen about the subject seems to point to the opposite; that Groundspeak DOESN'T "endorse" stats sites, because geocaching isn't a competition. Otherwise, I would think they could be more easily and more accurately hosted on geocaching.com.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

Check out http://www.geocaching.com/local/default.aspx?state_id=13&submit2=GO

This is the state from the geocaching home page. It doensn't seem to work from the hide and seek page.

As for seti, this team is a geocaching team.

Does adding a link from geocaching.com make a site affiliated with Groundspeak? I wasn't really talking about the seti thing, more about the sig line that said www.geocacheuk.com Officially recognized by Groundspeak and geocaching.com . When I looked at www.geocacheuk.com, it seems to be mainly a UK version of Dan's Stats page. I see they do resell geocaching.com stuff too, but the main thrust of the site seems to be stats. So maybe Dan's page could be "Officially recognized by Groundspeak and geocaching.com" too and then the stats he has would be more accurate.

What is interesting about the night sky, that SETI is scanning, is that it is set up like the Latitude and Longitude on Earth.

declination (DEC) is the same as Earth's Latitude.

right ascension (RA) is simular to Earth's Longitude, except that the Earth rotates.

Heres a link:

http://lyra.colorado.edu/sbo/astroinfo/coords/coordinates.html

Sky Coordinates is another good one.

I will pick Alpha Centauri, it is about 4.35 light years from Earth.

Right Ascension (Celestial Longitude)

14h 39m 36.5s

Declination (Celestial Latitude)

-60° 50' 2.3"

It is the closest star to Earth, and if you put a High powered Dish, transmitting at that Star, and there were people there. Chances are that the signal would be less than the background noise, by the time it got to an Earth around The Alpha Centauri System

Right Ascension (RA) and Declination (Dec)

These are the coordinates that astronomers use to precisely locate stars in the sky. They are very similar to longitude and latitude on the Earth, except that RA is measured from 0 to 24 hours instead of 0 to 360 degrees, like longitude.

A GPS would come in handy when setting up a computerized portable telescope.

--------------------------------------------------

My Old posts as Geoffrey

My Current Post as GOT GPS?

My profile

My Home Page about what is GPS

[This message was edited by GOT GPS? on May 20, 2003 at 01:36 PM.]

Perhaps I didn't read between the lines here, or missed something completely. This thread sure went sideways in a hurry icon_razz.gif.

The seti@home site allows people to "team" together, thus pooling the seti@home statistics--NOT geocaching statistics--in a mildly competative way against other seti@home "teams" (NOT geocaching teams).

It would be nice if, in the name of science, those of us who geocache and use seti@home were to team up by joining at the SETI site and see how much computing power we can muster.

Geocaching.com would have no standing in the matter unless the group was named as such.

don

quote:

...I wasn't really talking about the seti thing, more about the sig line that said _www.geocacheuk.com Officially recognized by Groundspeak and geocaching.com _. When I looked at http://www.geocacheuk.com, it seems to be mainly a UK version of Dan's Stats page. I see they do resell geocaching.com stuff too, but the main thrust of the site seems to be stats. So maybe Dan's page could be "Officially recognized by Groundspeak and geocaching.com" too and then the stats he has would be more accurate...

Missed that one, the link didn't work for me. But since I've not done my official geo tour of the UK yet...

Somewhere I saw a summary of these "use the computer in the off time" programs. SETI has had zillions of hours and not that many potential finds (all a bust).

=====================

quote:
Originally posted by bazzle:

We have had a group for sometime now. But I am failing to find it just now. Cool that others are joining the search though...

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

O.K. Bazzle, finally a thread where I can post a question that I have had since the first time I came across one of your posts. The avatar. Is that you? Because every time I read what you write, I hear the voice of the billionaire guy from Contact (John Hurt?) "Why buy one when you can get two at twice the price?.....Wanna take a ride?" Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I can't get that voice outta my head when I see your avatar. icon_wink.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....http://www.texasgeocaching.com

quote:
Originally posted by bazzle:

Yep... That's me Snoogans.

My mind not only wanders...

Sometimes it leaves completely...

**Namaste**

O.K. That didn't help get that voice outta my mind. "Wanna take a ride..." Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! I don't know why I thought it would. Maybe I should step into the Total Perspective Vortex and get rid of it.

Snicon_razz.gificon_razz.gifgans

The greatest labor saving invention of today is tomorrow....http://www.texasgeocaching.com

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

Perhaps I didn't read between the lines here, or missed something completely. This thread sure went sideways in a hurry icon_razz.gif.

The seti@home site allows people to "team" together, thus pooling the seti@home statistics--NOT geocaching statistics--in a mildly competative way against other seti@home "teams" (NOT geocaching teams).

It would be nice if, in the name of science, those of us who geocache and use seti@home were to team up by joining at the SETI site and see how much computing power we can muster.

Geocaching.com would have no standing in the matter unless the group was named as such.

don

Yes you TOTALLY missed something. Go back and re-read my posts again. I am not talking about seti@home, I was merely commenting on the signature line of the topic starter.

Can't say I ever noticed it before, I guess he doesn't post much outside the UK forum.

the signature line in the first post reads "www.geocacheuk.com

Officially recognized by Groundspeak and Geocaching.com".

I thought that was a bit odd, and went and looked at the website. All my comments refer to www.geocacheuk.com, not seti@home. The page seems to be a UK stats page, with it's own forums and stuff. There's a big title there that also implies that www.geocacheuk.com is sanctioned by geocaching.com. I was rather curious about that, since every time someone brings up added stats to geocaching.com, TPTB have been pretty dead set against any form of stats. If that's changed, maybe we can get Dan's stats page to also be officially recognized, since that covers stats worldwide, not just the UK.

Sorry you misunderstood me.

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

Of course, if you wanted to do something really constructive, we could start a geocaching team at United Devices, and work towards cancer cures and the like.

Are you discounting the importance of locating and communicating with other life in the universe?

I believe that "contact" would be bigger news in the history of humanity than the cure for cancer.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

quote:

Somewhere I saw a summary of these "use the computer in the off time" programs. SETI has had zillions of hours and not that many potential finds (all a bust).

_That's_ the spirit! Way to put all of us time-wasting fools in our place....

I've got 5000+ hours into SETI with 454 results.

=====================

[This message was edited by Renegade Knight on May 20, 2003 at 10:39 PM.]

quote:

As of this post there have been 12,807,412,873.08 or ~12.8 billion hours of CPU time recorded by SETI@Home.

Of 1,358,068 data packets processed, the Berkeley team have identified 1,430 promising candidates that they recently re-observed at Aricebo in the final stage of SET@Home phase one. They were looking at less than 1,000 points to wrap up phase one.

Edison tested over 5,000 filaments for the electric bulb before he tried tungsten. Fortunately, he was a patient man.

quote:
Originally posted by DustyJacket:

Of course, if you wanted to do something really constructive, we could start a geocaching team at United Devices, and work towards cancer cures and the like. I've been doing that since they first started it.

There are currently five major distributed computing projects that I'm aware of, and probably a number of other worthwhile projects as well. It's very likely that none of these projects would exist today without the pioneering efforts of the SETI folks at Berkeley. These guys basically invented distributed computing. If not in theory, definitely in practice.

I'm sure no one would have any problems with you starting up a Geocaching team at United Devices and posting your own thread seeking members. Making a value judgement that UD is a more worthy cause than SETI in a thread intended to attract users to the SETI project is pretty much a thread crap, in my opinion.

It's also relevant that UD is a for profit organization while SETI@Home is not. All those CPU cycles that you're kindly donating to UD are in turn being sold for a profit.

That said, I've been running SETI@Home for almost four years now. I see it as a very worthwhile project and I have a lot of respect for the scientists who got it off the ground.

My 2¢ for what it's worth.

-Vb

quote:
Originally posted by Verboten:

.....Making a value judgement that UD is a more worthy cause than SETI in a thread intended to attract users to the SETI project is pretty much a thread crap, in my opinion....

I made that value judgement for myself, not for anyone else, after my parents died of cancer.

I was offering an alternative, that is all.

BTW:

Results Received 592

Total CPU Time 6766 hr 12 min

Average CPU Time per work unit 11 hr 25 min 45.9 sec

Average results received per day 0.47

Last result returned: Sat Nov 9 09:12:21 2002 UTC

Registered on: Tue Dec 14 00:04:02 1999 UTC

View Registration Class

SETI@home user for: 3.436 years

You have completed more work units than 94.198% of our users.

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Mopar just to confirm that geocacheuk.com was officialy recognised last week. as to the stats on the site it took cat(mark) and Teasel(Ian) a lot of hard negotiating to get permission for the stats, and there are severe restrictions on the data they can scrape which will be stoped if it excededs theses restrictions. a happy geocacheuk.com user. Mancunian Pyrocacher.

I burn to cache!

I wasn't sure if I was going to post to this thread or not. I have been running Seti for about 4 years now and I am a member of another group. I don't know if the geocaching group was active back then or not, but if it was I would have joined up with geocaching instead. I am not going to change groups, since I have been with the Sysopt group for so long and I don't think it would be fair to the rest of the Sysopt group to bail out on them. Anyway, here are my SETI stats as of right now:

Your credit:

Name: smithdw

Results Received: 44565

Total CPU Time: 41.538 years

Average CPU Time per work unit: 8 hr 09 min 53.7 sec

Average results received per day: 31.01

Last result returned: Wed May 21 07:03:31 2003 UTC

Registered on: Mon Jun 14 06:53:11 1999 UTC

SETI@home user for: 3.937 years

Your group info:

You belong to the group named: Sysopt.com Users 2002

Your rank: (based on current workunits received)

Your rank out of 4495459 total users is: 956th place.

The number of users who have this rank: 1

You have completed more work units than 99.979% of our users.

I have around 62 systems running Seti 24/7 ranging from about 23- PIII-450, 28- PIII-933, 1- P4-1.4, 2- P4-2.66, 5- Celeron 600, 2- Dual Xeon 2.8, and a Dual PIII-933.

I'm not sure of the counts of systems, but that should be pretty close. I just broke the 1,000th place level reciently and now I'm waiting for the 50,000 WU certificate.

"The best way to accelerate a Macintosh is at 9.8m/sec/sec."

-Marcus Dolengo

Dusty,

I tried to keep my reply as benign as possible. I know your post wasn't meant to be a troll, and we all have our own values and judgement.

My point was that your post suggested that the SETI project was a waste of time, and the UD project as being superior. Intentional or not, that was how I perceived it. When you post that in a thread promoting SETI, I call thread crap.

I was being completely sincere when I suggested starting a Geocaching team for UD. When you do, I promise I won't advertise SETI@Home it it. icon_smile.gif In fact, I may even join. I'm thinking of switching over to another DC project when I hit 5k work units. Probably next month. Phase two of SETI@Home is pretty much undefined now anyway.

I think we agree that distributed computing projects are a worthwhile cause. No hard feelings?

-Vb

quote:

Edison tested over 5,000 filaments for the electric bulb before he tried tungsten. Fortunately, he was a patient man.

The filament Edison finally settled on was carbonized sewing thread.

quote:
There are currently five major distributed computing projects that I'm aware of, and probably a number of other worthwhile projects as well. It's very likely that none of these projects would exist today without the pioneering efforts of the SETI folks at Berkeley. These guys basically invented distributed computing. If not in theory, definitely in practice.
So all the cycles I donated to distributed.net before a SETI@Home client existed were only theoretical? Thanks for clearing that up.

warm.gif

quote:

(snip)

I will pick Alpha-Centauri, it is about 4.35 light years from Earth...

(snip)

It is the closest star to Earth...

(snip)

Actually, when naming the star closest the earth, you were off by about 4.35 light years (plus or minus eight light minutes).

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Pan

"The internet to tell me where. A GPS to get me there."

quote:

-Vb

I think you have seriously confused the seti@home project with distributed.net, who had 1/4 million people working on it when seti@home came out. I think 250,000 active people (not machines) is a bit more then just a theory, don't you?

I might also add that distributed.net is responsible for the software used by the United Devices project.

[This message was edited by Mopar on May 21, 2003 at 08:52 AM.]

quote:

..No hard feelings?

I never had any.

I like variety. I'll run UD for a year, the do SETI, then something else, then back to UD,......it just depends on my mood. At one time I tried to have SETI and UD try to share, but SETI didn't "play nice" and always took over the machine.

If there are other suggestions, that is good too. (I tried "folding" but at the time my computer was not supported.)

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif