A few questions

Well its a great day here but stuck inside.

Got to thinking about caches and would like some information.

1. What type cache do you like and why?

2. Do you like a easy, mod., mod. hard, or very hard to find cache? Why?

3. I have seen post about "Junk in caches," What do you like to see in a cache. I know each of you would like lots of money but really what would you think a nice cache should have in it?

Well I have to get looking for a GPS now so wish me luck. If you know of any good places let me know.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

I like traditional caches and traveling caches although traveling caches are no longer allowed.

I like hard to find caches because I like being creative and creating hard to find caches and I can respect those more because a lot of the time you can see the effort the placer put into those caches.

3. I have seen post about "Junk in caches," What do you like to see in a cache. I know each of you would like lots of money but really what would you think a nice cache should have in it?

I usually start my caches off with a trip to REI and take a .50 cal ammo can and fill it up. Things like carabiners, rope/cord, panchos, emergency blankets, whistles, trowels, first aid kits, and more. I put all NEW stuff in and put each item in its own ziplock bag to keep them nice.

Well I have to get looking for a GPS now so wish me luck. If you know of any good places let me know.

Thanks for the info.

Rick

"good places"? come to Michigan and hit some of my caches. icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

I have fun with almost any type of cache. I like the "puzzle" caches best I guess. I prefer traditional caches, but I've done a few virtuals and locationless. They're all good icon_smile.gif

Again, I like them all. I like ones that are fairly tough to solve best. When it comes to the terrain or "hide" difficutly, it depends. As long as they are accurately rated, then it doesn't matter to me. I have young kids, so I bring them on the easy hunts. But I enjoy doing the harder ones too, probably solo or with some other geocachers. I have not yet had the chance to do any really tough ones, such as overnighters or ones that require SCUBA. But I will.

3. What do you like to see in a cache?

This doesn't matter too much to me. I usually take nothing, and leave my signature item (a d20 polyhedron). Sometimes I'll find a nice trinket for the kids. I do like finding unique items from other cachers. I have seen some nice (~$10) items in caches, but I don't think I've ever found a one that I needed, so I've never taken any. The trinkets I like best are things I might actually use, like books, CDs, mini-games, etc. My favorite so far is a "No Whiners" pin, which is now decorating my Geocaching baseball cap. icon_smile.gif

-BeachBuddies

Right now I like level 1 micros as it is too hot to go running around the desert to find ammo boxes.

Right now, easy (see above). In the winter months, I will be taking level 4 and 5 terrain with no problem.

A lot of variety of small items in new or great condition. Free movie pass certificates are good, as well as instant scratch-off lottery tickets.

"Well I have to get looking for a GPS now so wish me luck."

Get yourself a Meridian Platinum and you won't ever regret it.

I like traditional caches best. But I am getting into the fun of micros as well.

I like all difficulties. I take the kids on teh easy ones and go by myself on the harder ones. I found that the attention spans dont last long if it takes a while to hike to or find a cache with the little ones.

As for what is in the caches, I like to see a variety of stuff. McToys are ok if they are new in the package. Kids love them. Kids love any toy. For myself, I like cd's, keychains from different places, small tools, books, carbingers, foreign coins, coupons for a free burger or drink.

I like to leave stuff that I would not mind finding. I remove any food I find as well as trash.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

N61.12.041 W149.43.734

quote:
Originally posted by TEAM 360:

quote:
Originally posted by umc:

"good places"? come to Michigan and hit some of my caches. icon_wink.gif

I can vouch for that. UMC has some VERY interesting caches. Kept me on my toes, that's for sure.

Ok, the checks in the mail and thanks again. icon_wink.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

quote:
I have fun with almost any type of cache. I like the "puzzle" caches best

Can you give some examples of a "puzzle cache"?

I was thinking of a cache where you would need to go to a Libary, find a certain book(which would have a list in it or somewhere else in the libary, then decode the message that would give you the next step in the multi cache.

Would you say this would be one type of puzzle cache?

How do you think this would go over? you would not need a gps inside? what do you think?

How do the CD's hold up in heat?

I am not talking about the dificulty in getting to a cache but in finding a cache. I have a few picked out that may be very hard to find. I have seen post of caches that have not been found in over 2+ years. Would you go to somthing like this knowing that it is that hard to find?

Scratch off loto tickets. Hummmm my luck they would win a mil. Could give the fake winning ticket thing.

Have you ever seen a cache that somthing might pop out at a person or in some manner try and scare (in a funny way) them?

So does everyone agree with the Meridian Platinum as a very good GPS? What does this cost and if you do not agree what do you recomend and at what price?

Thanks again,

Rick

P.S. I told everyone the first time I posted that I would have LOTS of questions. :-)

Rick

1) Normal cache. There's nothing like finding a Tubberware container!

2) Not too hard, but not too easy. It's fun to look around and think "Where the heck is it?!??" for a while before finding it. That makes the find much more satisfying.

3) I don't really care what's in it. I just don't like going to a cache and it's only got a couple things in it. When I made my cache, I packed it full of junk icon_wink.gif

Mostly Trad caches, though the sneaky micro is good and Virts if they are really exremely interesting. Don't like anything with puzzles, math or multis.

Moderate. If I've traveled for hours to get to a cache I hope it's not another couple of hours trying to find it. If it is an urban micro, I think it should be fairly easy to spot for cachers and basically invisible to muggles. That's a very challenging combination!

3. I have seen post about "Junk in caches," What do you like to see in a cache.

Anything that isn't things that literally belong in a trash can, like a pamphlet from under a cars windshield wiper or a used movie ticket or AOL discs, etc. What I prefer would be quirkier the better. Signature items, goofy toys, painted rocks, deck of cards, puzzles, mini-games, finger puppets, glow sticks, Homies, etc.

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."