SporTrak Pro or Meridian Platinum

3fros

I mostly use my GPS for Geocaching, kayaking, and hiking.

I can get an entire SporTrak Pro kit at Costco for $229 with the rebate http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=79&subid=82&hierid=3401&prdid=10028442&log= or I can get the Meridian Platinum only for $279 http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=79&subid=82&hierid=3401&prdid=10023838&log= and a 128MB SD card for $65 http://www.costco.com/frameset.asp?trg=product%2Easp&catid=79&subid=2109&hierid=2255&prdid=10020736&log=

I like the size of the SporTrak pro, but the electronic compass and the expandable memory of the platinum would be nice. If the SporTrak pro had expandable memory, this would be a no-brainer. My question is, is the 32MB of the SporTrak Pro enough, or is it worth all the extra money to go with the platinum

quote:
Originally posted by brasileiro:

IT'S TO MY UNDERSTANDING THAT THE SPORTTRAK PRO HAS A TOTAL OF 32 MB. I UNDERSTAND THAT 9MB OF THAT IS NOT AVALILABLE BECAUSE IT IS BEING USED TO STORE THE BASE MAP. SO 23MB ARE LEFT TO STORE MAP DETAILS. I MAY BE WRONG BUT BELIEVE THIS TO BE CORRECT. IF SO MAYBE THIS WILL HELP YOU DECIDE.

You are correct. So is 23MB enough?

Just a quick note on the cracks in the SporTrak's...I believe it's a known warranty problem...seems I read where some of the cases develop tiny cracks near the screw's and Magellan is aware of it, they may look like tiny lines, but you can feel them with your fingernail...contact them and they should take care of it for you.

Add me to the list of Platinum recommendations, I love mine.

It's not about the mistakes we make, it's about what we learn from them....

we bought the sportrak pro bundle.. GPSr, batteries (big deal), cig power cord, pc cable, wetsuit cover, map send streets and destinations cdrom, and window suction mount.

impressed w the bundle for 270 - 50 rebate. 220$ total funds out for me. sold a rifle and used funds direct for the unit. no bad vibes with the wife.. alls well.

i used the unit w the kids today to seek out a local cache. easy to use 40 mins after i purchased it. we went in, and it took us within about 8 - 10' of the cache.

the platinum caught my attention, but soon lost to the sportrak, because of price and features i needed without additional cost. the memory issue...

i loaded all of long island, manhattan, bronx, staten island, brooklyn, and queens and then some.... w all points of interest, and roads.. took all of 8mb. i have 16 more with this loaded!! good enough for now. i may eventually want more, but this fit the bill.

hope i did not cloud your judgement.

i am happy for now.

robree.

hope you find what you are looking for.

icon_smile.gif

I've been wondering between plat and pro for a while myself. This weekend I had the chance to use the pro for a while and now I'm wondering if I should just get a Garmin Legend.

I have a Garmin Venture and the major items that make me want something else are:

-Poor reception at times (seems frequent)

-No mapping

But the maps on the pro didn't blow me away (but they were very good... I just don't do well without some color or something I guess) and the one cache we did in the woods, the pro took me off by a lot. But that was only one cache.

So I'm back on the fence. And the differences between the Garmin and Magellan GPS units are pain for me too. I've gotten so used to my Garmin, it took a while to get into the pro. And I really didn't like the map screen on the pro as much as on my Venture either. Even if the Venture's 'map' only shows your breadcrumbs, no streets. There was no really good pointer while on the map screen.

But alas... I don't have a lot of experience with the pro. Anyone out there switch from a Garmin eTrex line to the Magellan pro or plat? Can you give me your experience?

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

migo_sig_logo.jpg

i switched from the yellow etrex to the plat. i was nervous about doing it but i figured that many people use magellan so i did it. it really isnt all that hard to make the switch. trust me. the buttons might be a bit different and the screens might be a bit different but that is easily overcome... i still havent read the manual. the fact that the reception is SSOOO much better and the mapping and sd card memory more then makes up for the little bit of anxiety over switching. the only disadvantage i see between the extrex line and the meridian series is size. the extrex line was nice and compact. the screen is larger on the meridian but the resolution is not as good. i dont know what difference the resolution on a GPSr makes, i am navigating on a 3x4 inch or so screen, not watching a movie.

SR and dboggny.

9372_2600.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

There was no really good pointer while on the map screen.

That is about the only thing I really miss. I moved from a Venture to a plat for the same reasons you're considering. I haven't yet had a chance to test it under the trees, but it has tended to hold a lock better in some other areas that my Venture used to let go.

As far as the pointer, the built in compass does give a graphically visible bearing to the waypoint. It's a little subtler than the garmin approach, but it works.

There are some other bells and whistles I like with the plat. It's much better for road navigation than the Venture, including some audible arrival alarms. The maps don't knock your socks off, but I am finding them useful. It's only been a few weeks so it's early to be definitive, but so far I like it a lot. (But I *am* reading the manual...it's easy enough to get going, but there are a lot of features that take some studying to gain full advantage.)

I just picked up a Magellan MAP 330, which is the forerunner to the SportTrak series, and essentially has the same engine under the hood; this save for a bit more memory here and there. I think the SportTrak series and the MAP 330 use the same basemaps.

Anyway, I got a MAP 330X in trade for a Yaesu FT-50RD 144/440 MHz ham radio HT I've had for a few years. I love it! It's my first gps, especially so after waiting 6 months and finding 8 geocaches the hard way!

I, too, am looking at the Meridian Platinum as my next unit. It's a toss up between that and Garmin's GPSmap 76S. And herein lies the general consensus: Garmin has the best maps and resolution, while Magellan tends to have a bit better adjacent signal rejection (multi-path rejection).

Now depending on your eyes, I agree that even the Etrex Legend and Vista (the latter of which is my favorite of the Etrex line) have extremely tight pixel groups and are highly visible. This is even moreso with the GPSmap 76S; each time I turn it on in the store, I'm always impressed by how *sharp as a tack" the screen is.

The only thing about the GPSmap 76S I have an issue with--and a minor one at that, I suppose--is the lack of a CDI or "Course Pointer" arrow on the compass page, which would show whether you are left or right of your course line.

If you're wanting to purchase *just one unit* because of budget restrictions, etc., I'd spend the $234 on the Meridian Platinum. Ounce for ounce, it has the most--in my opinion--*practical* features (related to the electronics, storage, and reception, the 3-axis compass--as opposed to the 76S's single axis compass--, and the altimeter/barometer.

The SD memory cards are another plus. I think it's just as accurate as the MAP 330--which surprises me all the time with it's signal pickup and clarity. MapSend isn't going to necessarily win over MapSource..but I've only used MapSend Streets, not MapSend Topo, so I can't say about the latter, only the former.

So far, MapSend Streets has worked for me on my MAP 330. It got me on the correct side of a river where a geocache was supposed to be. I think I know where the cache is, but it's an urban cache, so it's hard to tell when you're trying to keep a low profile icon_wink.gif. Other results may vary.

The lack of high-resolution may be a thing of the past when the new Meridian Color hits the markets. It's already been announced. Ed. Note: ***What is this thing, a Gold or a Platinum with a color screen?*** I'm guessing a Gold.

Hope this is food for thought--and it's not *too* filling icon_wink.gif.

Warm regards,

Firefishe

196939_600.gif

I've been debating this for a while, but suddenly it became a no-brainer.

To buy the SporTrak Pro I would be giving up the expansion above 23MB, a digital compass, and a few other things. Most of which I could live with. I was leaning toward the SporTrak Pro, then back to the Meridian, back to the SporTrak Pro...

I then read about how when loading the 23MB using the serial cable is done at about 2kb/sec. Calculating out 23MB at 2kb/sec make it about 3.19 HOURS if my math is correct. My boss at work has the E-trex vista and he says that it does take a long time to load. Another thing is that if you have a certain amount loaded and you want to add another map you have to reload it all. icon_frown.gif

If I buy the Platinum, I can use a Zio card reader to connect the card to a USB port at 2MB/sec. That's 1000 times faster. That means I could load an entire 128MB card in just over a minute. icon_biggrin.gif Now it's really a no-brainer.

Thanks to all for your input

quote:
Originally posted by 3fros:

I then read about how when loading the 23MB using the serial cable is done at about 2kb/sec. Calculating out 23MB at 2kb/sec make it about 3.19 HOURS if my math is correct.

I have a Pro and loading new map info is a chore that has to be planned ahead. It does take soooo muuuuuch timmmmme! That said, I find the other functions flawless and the lock on signal is very good.

i have to say that the reason i got the sportrak was the cost and items i recvd with the unit. it is really accurate. i have used it everyday since i bought it.

i would love to get my hands on the platinum for expandable memory, but the sportrak has plenty of memory for now.

the platinum sd slot is located inside the battery comoartment. has a thin rubber gasket that should keep water out.. rain won't affect it. dunking may. i would use a silicone gasket material and some oil to form a better compression gasket...... but i digress...

sportrak for price and extra stuff.

platinum for MEMORY.. and barometer (whooop), and something you can beat a bear with.. lol

robbie

wings_flag.gif

"Fire burns, and when it rains... you get wet."

...kick the baud rate up to 115K.

There's no reason that I've ever seen to upload a map at 4800 baud. Some folks say they want a slower serial speed for "accuracy", but I've never seen anyone actually type "My maps were corrupted at 115Kbaud."

Of course, this is subject to Markwelling, but don't be afraid of higher baud rates. 115K isn't some "superspeed" that the computer can't handle.

Harmony was great, I moved from my old Magellan 310. This unit is AMAZING compared to that dinosaur, and I was getting signal lock on a bunch of satellites (10?) while my 310 was only getting 1-3. You could get a 128 MB SD card for $50 if you put effort into finding it. And there are lots of rebates. I really, really like my new GPS unit.

Don't know how much that information helps, but I'm happy with my GPS unit.

quote:
Originally posted by Tzan:

Harmony was great, I moved from my old Magellan 310. This unit is AMAZING compared to that dinosaur, and I was getting signal lock on a bunch of satellites (10?) while my 310 was only getting 1-3. You could get a 128 MB SD card for $50 if you put effort into finding it. And there are lots of rebates. I really, really like my new GPS unit.

Don't know how much that information helps, but I'm happy with my GPS unit.

I bought the Platinum and S&D CD from Harmony last Friday. I bought a 128MB card from costco for $57 + change, and today I picked up a card reader. Now I just have to wait for delivery of the Platinum.

I just bought a Plat, but I'm having second thoughts. I don't have any mapping software and what I have seen on the Plat doesn't impress me. I am looking to find something with some backroads here in AZ, but cannot find anything for my Plat. Every store here sales Garmin and they all have the maps that I am looking for. What software can I purchase that will allow me to upload offroading maps to my Plat? Am I stuck with Mapsend Topo (if that will even have it)? Are there websites where I can download some? I don't want to have to return my Plat for an Emap just so I can get the maps that I want. I am new to the whole GPS thing so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

I just purchased the Sportrak Pro and really like it. The biggest thing I do not like about it is the inability to save tracks where you CAN save tracks with the Meridian. Because I just bought it, I can exchange it for a Meridian Platinum if I want. The thing that I do not like about the Meridian is the size. I just could not bring myself to buy it because it just looks too big. How do the guys that own them like them and do you think the size is really a factor?

Thanks for the input. icon_rolleyes.gif

J0ck0 - You can only use MapSend to put maps on your Meridian, plus you will need an SD card. TOPO has all the roads in my area...even some small dirt farm roads.

Li'l Boyz Club - The Meridian is big, but also has a large screen. I don't have a problem with the size...I carry it in a case on my hip most of the time and only have to have it in my hand for the final cache search.

homer.gif

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand."

I just got off the phone with Meridian (had to call twice because the first guy I spoke with said they didn't have any maps that would show backwoods roads). The second person I spoke with was very nice and actually looked up some of the tiny towns here in AZ on Topo. Thankfully they and the roads leading to them were there. I'm keeping the Plat and buying Topo. I am so happy because everything I have read says Magellan's (especially the Plats) are the most accurate.

Can't wait to start caching this weekend.

I have the lowest meridian the green. The removable SD card and the additional functionality that it brings is really worth it. I particularly like to save tracks and groups of waypoints in separate files. Also, although the 23mb of memory in the Sporttrak is adequate and will hold most of a state, the amount of mapping that will go on 128mb SD card is incredible. The card will also allow you to break your maps into smaller pieces that run more quickly in the GPSr. The Meridian is bigger than the Sportrak but I have had no problem handling or carrying it.

I got the Pro and love it! The maps are a bit out dated (i've been living in this house in San Diego for 3 years and the street is missing), but the deal cant be beat. Got it from Costco. Remember that if you dont liek it for ANY reason, they will take it back.

Like the ability to pop this in my pocket. Small and rugged

The SD slot on the Meridians is within the battery compartment which is supposed to be watertight and float as well (I haven't tried this of course), but you don't have to worry according to the literature.

quote:
Originally posted by marwagsalot:

How protected from water intrusion is the SD slot on the "Plat"??? If you are in the rain or boAT spray, will the unit get FLOODED?????????