Jump to content

G:UK - Good or Bad


Followers 0

Recommended Posts

quote:
Originally posted by Gunther:

Who thinks G:UK has been setup with lets say less than alteristic motives?


I suspect the word you're groping for is 'altruistic'! icon_confused.gif

 

And I pray that TheCat and Teasel don't take such offence at this childishness that they respond in kind and take their bat and ball (i.e. web-site, database and expertise) home, thereby depriving US ALL of facilities which are unavailable elsewhere icon_frown.gif

 

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

Link to comment

I'm sure Mark or Ian would be prepeared to get involved in direct dialoge with you if you get in touch with them over G:UK. Rather then use this forum to what appears to be that of driving geochaching in the UK underground!Haven't we had enough with a great set of admins being driven away, with out you trying to drive G:UK away. Do us all a faither and take your destructive oppinions somewere else.

 

I burn to cache!

Link to comment

It's true. Mark and Teasel actually run the GC:UK site from a double decker bus on the moon. Elvis and Hitler look after the webservers in the GC:UK uplink base in Area 51, Nevada, and the whole gc.com merchandising operation just a scam to cover money laundering on international bioweapons deals and UFO research.

 

Really.

 

It's all true.

 

All of it.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by The Good Shepherds:

It's true. Mark and Teasel actually run the GC:UK site from a double decker bus on the moon. Elvis and Hitler look after the webservers in the GC:UK uplink base in Area 51, Nevada, and the whole gc.com merchandising operation just a scam to cover money laundering on international bioweapons deals and UFO research.


 

You forgot the bit about Mark and Ian logging caches under Lee Harvey Oswald's name.

 

icon_biggrin.gif

 

Say, where were you on November 23rd, 1963, anyhow?

 

Hmm... one of life's greatest mysteries might've just been solved!

 

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Gunther:

Ok to stop the mud slinging lets have a poll.


 

Third choice is missing, so poll not completed.

 

Besides, I can't think of a faster way to start some mudslinging than a poll like this one.

 

Derek

Link to comment

Gunther said:

"Ok to stop the mud slinging lets have a poll."

 

 

No. To stop the mudslinging, all you have to do is stop slinging mud! So stop. Its that simple really.

 

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Link to comment

As you may of noticed Teasel and I have not risen to the bait. Have no fear GeocacheUK will remain for all cachers to enjoy. We have no need to respond to the anti campaign we seem to be getting from a small number of people. The main reason we dont need to reply is that you guys do the job so well for us. Please take note we do thank you for your support. And it makes me even more determend to carry on providing the services to geocachers in the UK.

 

Mark (TheCat)

 

www.geocacheuk.com

Officially recognized by Groundspeak and Geocaching.com

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by TheCat:

As you may of noticed Teasel and I have not risen to the bait. Have no fear GeocacheUK will remain for all cachers to enjoy. We have no need to respond to the anti campaign we seem to be getting from a small number of people. The main reason we dont need to reply is that you guys do the job so well for us. Please take note we do thank you for your support. And it makes me even more determend to carry on providing the services to geocachers in the UK.

 

Mark (TheCat)

 

http://www.geocacheuk.com

Officially recognized by Groundspeak and Geocaching.com


 

More power to your elbows, Mark and Ian!

Nice to see a professional attitude.

Link to comment

The results are not so good for G:UK but in saying that one thing is clear, as per the GAGB poll - a lot of people like mouthing off about certain issues (me included) but not many are bothered enough to vote ( a bit like politics really). Spelling though thats a different kettle of fish alltogether - now that really gets my goat.

 

So in summary I think we can safely say that it is not all roses for G:UK but no-one really gives !!! What really counts is a nice and contentious posting or two!

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Gunther:

The results are not so good for G:UK but in saying that one thing is clear, as per the GAGB poll - a lot of people like mouthing off about certain issues (me included) but not many are bothered enough to vote ( a bit like politics really).

 


 

The main reason people are not voting on your pointless poll is that they can't see the benefit in doing so. No-one but you has any reason to put G:UK in the dock, and frankly the phrase "More to it than meets the eye" is just vague, specious and conspiratorial. One could ask the same about anyone but it doesn't make it a valid question does it. Oh lets stand up and ask about the Samaritans shall we? Who thinks theres more to that organisation than meets the eye? ....Piffle! Speak a lie often enough and it starts to be believed. The fact is that the things that you and others are saying on here are really hurtful, and doing untold damage. Why oh why are you intent on wrecking the world for everone else? I can imagine you as a child, were the sort of person who ran along the beach and kicked over other people's sandcastles. You never brought a bucket and spade and built your own, probably because you knew if you did, everyone else might come along and break it down. How you people get a kick out of smashing, wrecking and hurting I do not understand. You think you are big, and clever. You are neither.

 

quote:

Spelling though thats a different kettle of fish alltogether - now that really gets my goat.

 


 

..you mean "altogether"? Now go and do with your goat whatever it is you do once you've got it.

 

quote:

So in summary I think we can safely say that it is not all roses for G:UK but no-one really gives !!! What really counts is a nice and contentious posting or two!


 

And that is why we are so sensitive about trolls on here. I couldn't have put it better myself.

 

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

..you mean "altogether"?


Ere, 10001111110, how did you do the double quotes? I've been trying to use them for ages. They keep getting stripped out icon_smile.gif

 

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by washboy:

Ere, "10001111110", how did you do the double quotes? I've been trying to use them for ages. They keep getting stripped out icon_smile.gif

 

=====

_"There's no such thing as a free lunchbox"!_


 

Reminds me of the old saying:

There's only 10 types of people who understand binary numbers; Those who do, and those who don't. icon_smile.gif

DerekReed

 

Will cache for food. icon_smile.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by washboy:

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

..you mean "altogether"?


Ere, 10001111110, how did you do the double quotes? I've been trying to use them for ages. They keep getting stripped out icon_smile.gif

 

=====

_There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!_


 

..erm..I use that key with the number "2" on it in conjunction with the SHIFT key...

 

icon_biggrin.gif

 

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

..erm..I use that key with the number "2" on it in conjunction with the SHIFT key...


Doh! You mean like "this"?

 

Well, I'll be blowed! I swear when I've used them before in this forum, they were filtered out. I must be losing the plot icon_eek.gif

 

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

Link to comment

MCL - I think I've got your goat... you really do like a little tantrum every now and then don't you! Have you ever posted anything other than a rant and rave over something someone else has posted?

 

Nice of you to keep the kettle boiling though.

Link to comment

quote:
posted May 14, 2003 10:04 AM

I was going to reply to this question but I can't seem to find a wording that dosn't include a particular word that rhymes with DuckWhit!

 


 

Rearrange these words .. Kettle , Black and Pot

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Gunther:

MCL - I think I've got your goat... you really do like a little tantrum every now and then don't you! Have you ever posted anything other than a rant and rave over something someone else has posted?

 

Nice of you to keep the kettle boiling though.


 

To answer you question directly, yes, I have. Many Many times. Through the wonder of archiving you are welcome to read them all at any time. icon_smile.gif

 

I will admit to a mild attack of fury a couple of days ago. I am not usually prone to such attacks. If youtake the time to read all of my posts you will find 99% of them are carefully argued and sensibly put set-pieces which have sometimes taken me several days to compose.

 

Normal service has now been resumed. I hope, however, that my small slip has unintentionally demonstrated to everyone just how hurt and dismayed I have been. And I don't often admit that in public.

Link to comment

Well said Ten to Twelve

 

I have often enjoyed your measured responses to posts.

 

Having had the pleasure to spend time with you, I admit to no surprise that you felt riled by comments made in recent discussions.

 

Keep up the postings both serious and funny. icon_smile.gif

 

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

Well said Ten to Twelve

 

I have often enjoyed your measured responses to posts.

 

Having had the pleasure to spend time with you, I admit to no surprise that you felt riled by comments made in recent discussions.

 

Keep up the postings both serious and funny. icon_smile.gif

 

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!


 

Don't misunderstand me here, if it were not for MCL (and not just him) and his replies to these type of posts there would not be the need for this post (its a paradox). Now here is the real test can you let me have the last word and let this die OR must you respond and keep it alive?

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Dodgydaved:

Now then lads (and lasses?) get your ba back into finding lunch boxes icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gificon_wink.gif

 

dodgydaved

 

I'm NOT lost, I know exactly where I am, I'm here!


 

Only a bit of light banter dodgy icon_eek.gif- has this post been moderated now? frog.gif

Link to comment

No but I reckon Gunther is really a badger and he is only on these fora to be a pesimistic and hypocriticle loser icon_smile.gif

 

Afternoon everyone.....

 

Gunther.....in the name of all able Geocachers, of which you are not among....TAKE A HIKE!

 

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Bad, I'm Bad you know it you know!mikejackson1-vi.gif

 

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Ben Pid:

No but I reckon Gunther is really a badger and he is only on these fora to be a pesimistic and hypocriticle loser icon_smile.gif

 

Afternoon everyone.....

 

Gunther.....in the name of all able Geocachers, of which you are not among....TAKE A HIKE!

 

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Bad, I'm Bad you know it you know!http://images2.fotki.com/v22/photos/5/55364/231450/mikejackson1-vi.gif

 

http://www.buckscaching.co.uk

 

There must be something about you people that can't let go... I can't actually see where I have insulted or abused anybody - I did question some peoples motives, BUT you all do seem to want to abuse and insult me. Is there some need you have to keep this going?

Link to comment

no I just read the whole thread for the first time and thought you needed to be told that. Sorry but you have to admit you did over step the mark a little!

 

I repsonded angrily to readin the whole thread not just the bottom.

 

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Bad, I'm Bad you know it you know!mikejackson1-vi.gif

 

www.buckscaching.co.uk

Link to comment

G:UK, good or bad...?

 

Well, let's see, they have provided me with a complete set of geocaches for uk in tomtom format, also the same for trigpoints, all free of charge, saving me countless hours typing them in, even if I did possess the geekability to do it, which is debatable. Say 50 hours @ around 50 quid an hour, 2,500 icon_smile.gif nice saving for me, even if I manage to use 10% of them that is great.

They also provide me with a UK site for quick purchase of several items for wife and kids, t-shirts, caps etc. at very reasonable prices.

The advice received from their website is enabling me to enjoy geocaching more and more, as does this forum.

Good or bad? definately good.

No, in answer to your question, I do not know any of the people there, but I hope to in my travels.

 

Thanks guys, great site.

 

p.s. I also signed up to GAGB, cos as my grandad used to say, listen to everyone, then chuck out the chaff icon_smile.gifand so far, haven't found any.

 

stay safe

Bill

 

Life is just an illusion, albeit a very elaborate one.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Gunther:

There must be something about you people that can't let go... I can't actually see where I have insulted or abused anybody - I did question some peoples motives, BUT you all do seem to want to abuse and insult me.


 

Well, where I come from, to question someone's motives unless you have a *very* good, pressing and urgent reason to do so, is in itself insulting and abusive. As far as I can tell you just decided to question the motives of a personal friend of mine, for the sheer hell of it, to see what you could stir up. To make a "nice, contentious post".

 

And *thats* the reason you get the abuse and insults back from people. Many of us on here are friends of each other who meet in real life not just on here. Go slagging one person off and you are sticking your oar into a nest of stingers.

 

The whole point is that you just don't realise the damage you are doing. Thats not all your fault: you couldn't know all the ramifications of a mudsling at someone, which is why it is better not to mudsling in the first place.

 

This forum is NOT quite like the usual Usenet newsgroup. Most people on those fora don't know each other personally and so don't really care too much if one of them is upset by something one of the others says. Trolling and mudslinging for fun on there is bad enough, but to do it in a place that has painstakingly built up a core "family" element is like getting out a machine gun at the Godfather's family barbecue. A lot of people are going to get very ****ed off very fast.

 

I am happy to say that 5 of my 8 closest friends in the whole world are posters on this forum, and a lot of the other posters are people I would class as personal friends. I have met them, phoned them, emailed them, ate with them, drunk with them. Yes and even cached with them.

 

Why don't you come along to one of the cache bashes and meet the people who's motives you have been questioning? You will not have any doubts about them after that if you do.

 

THATS what you do if you suspect someone's motives. You check them out. Get to know them. sociallise with them. Then if you still think they are dodgy, by all means ask around. Don't use it as a first option, only as a last resort.

 

Is that quite plain and clear for you now? Has that answered your question?

 

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

Link to comment

quote:
Trolling and mudslinging for fun on there is bad enough, but to do it in a place that has painstakingly built up a core "family" element is like getting out a machine gun at the Godfather's family barbecue. A lot of people are going to get very ****ed off very fast.


 

Does this mean tommorow I will wake up with a horses head in my bed.. or worse will I be swimming with the fishes. Who is the Cappa d' cappa of la familia de la geocaching por favor - I would like to do him a favour so oneday maybe I can call on him to return this favour icon_cool.gif

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

quote:
Originally posted by Gunther:

There must be something about you people that can't let go... I can't actually see where I have insulted or abused anybody - I did question some peoples motives, BUT you all do seem to want to abuse and insult me.


 

Well, where I come from, to question someone's motives unless you have a *very* good, pressing and urgent reason to do so, is in itself insulting and abusive. As far as I can tell you just decided to question the motives of a personal friend of mine, for the sheer hell of it, to see what you could stir up. To make a "nice, contentious post".

 

And *thats* the reason you get the abuse and insults back from people. Many of us on here are friends of each other who meet in real life not just on here. Go slagging one person off and you are sticking your oar into a nest of stingers.

 

The whole point is that you just don't realise the damage you are doing. Thats not all your fault: you couldn't know all the ramifications of a mudsling at someone, which is why it is better not to mudsling in the first place.

 

This forum is NOT quite like the usual Usenet newsgroup. Most people on those fora don't know each other personally and so don't really care too much if one of them is upset by something one of the others says. Trolling and mudslinging for fun on there is bad enough, but to do it in a place that has painstakingly built up a core "family" element is like getting out a machine gun at the Godfather's family barbecue. A lot of people are going to get very ****ed off very fast.

 

I am happy to say that 5 of my 8 closest friends in the whole world are posters on this forum, and a lot of the other posters are people I would class as personal friends. I have met them, phoned them, emailed them, ate with them, drunk with them. Yes and even cached with them.

 

Why don't you come along to one of the cache bashes and meet the people who's motives you have been questioning? You will not have any doubts about them after that if you do.

 

THATS what you do if you suspect someone's motives. You check them out. Get to know them. sociallise with them. Then if you still think they are dodgy, by all means ask around. Don't use it as a first option, only as a last resort.

 

Is that quite plain and clear for you now? Has that answered your question?

 

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....


 

On a more serious note.. I understand what you are saying here but can only disagree. Whether or not I was right to question the motives of G:UK is neither here nor there, this is a PUBLIC forum where anyone can post their views and opinions. If you want a close knit family forum then you should really either have a private forum or a public read-only forum ie one where you have to apply for rights to post or are invited to post. This way you can have all the control you want within the known circle of friends you have.

 

One of my reasons for posting here was because of the way the moderators all resigned (nothing to do with me) over a variety of issues that have plagued this board. I have also noticed in the past that other 'new' posters have been hounded off the forum because a certain core few deemed their posts "unfavourable".

 

I think the regular posters on this forum really need to get their act together and decide how to proceed, it has been discussed many times before and a bit of an obsession BUT if you want “trolls” and posts like this to go away is to IGNORE them i.e. don’t respond. As I said previously it does not take much to initiate a bad response from this forum which does not show it up in a good light – it is easy to blame the trolls, inflamatory posts etc but in the end it is the responses by the regular posters contributors that do the damage.

Link to comment

quote:
Originally posted by Gunther:

As I said previously it does not take much to initiate a bad response from this forum which does not show it up in a good light – it is easy to blame the trolls, inflamatory posts etc but in the end it is the responses by the regular posters contributors that do the damage.


 

Sorry, Gunther, I'm afraid you've lost me here. Are you saying that if someone makes an inflamatory post, they are not to blame?

 

I understand what you're saying about not responding to trolls being the best way to deal with them (it's covered exhaustively on this website) which is in itself a very valid point, and something we should all remember (myself most definately included) but I'm afraid I don't really get the idea that a controversial remark is not in essence designed to do damage.

 

It seems to me that it is one thing to suggest that the best way to deal with a troll is to ignore them, but quite another to blame people who do respond to them for the fallout.

 

If, for example, I was to post a new thread on these forums stating that I believed Moss Trooper* was downright useless as a moderator, and should never have returned to the post, I have no doubt that a wealth of people would rise to suggest otherwise, or at least ask me to support my statements. With very little effort I could kick off an argument - not due to the nature of this board in particular, but rather because I would have damaged a good name, and people will want to defend that.

 

This is a public forum, granted, but we are by and large a community of people. The majority of us do not drop in and drop out on a whim, and know each other fairly well. As was made transparent in the recent discussions, we do all have different points of view, but on the whole, we do also all get along.

 

We may well be able to say what we like, and when, but that doesn't mean we should. Just as in the real world. Just because you could start a thread that casts doubt on G:UK with no evidence to support it, or accuse MCL of having "tantrums" it doesn't mean that you should have done.

 

And if someone - anyone - posts something that is accusatory, controversial, and perhaps more importantly, not supported by any evidence, we shouldn't really be surprised when people respond by being offended. Such is life.

 

There may well be better ways to deal with trolls, but the people that use these forums to discuss caching aren't the ones to blame. Perhaps, rather, the blame should lie at the feet of those who find it amusing to post immature trollish threads in the first place.

 

* FWIW, I'm really glad that Moss Trooper has returned. He does a grand job.

 

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

soapbox.gif

 

[This message was edited by Kouros on May 20, 2003 at 08:25 AM.]

Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Followers 0
×
×
  • Create New...