server error 500 when trying to access profile

Deepdiggingmole

Getting the above message when clicking on my avatar at top of page trying to access my profile 
though I can access it from the link at the top of this page ? seems the link through the avatar is broken 

*** UPDATE 14:40 UTC - 5/3/24  - just noted the link now works again ***

Edited by Deepdiggingmole
  • Upvote 4
  • Helpful 1

We are having this trouble with the user DASHBOARD as well - getting the same error described herein. All other things seem to work, but at any point, attempting to go to the dashboard by clicking/tapping the username/icon (top right of the page), or trying to open the link on a given page that reads "dashboard" will render the "Error 500".

• Upvote 2

This Error 500 has started affecting geocaching.com users on a wider level. There's a separate thread just started awhile ago. We cannot access our user "dashboard" whatsoever.

Please fix this! It's definitely an ACCOUNT issue, as it's happening across the board on every device I have.

iOS 17.3.1

iPadOS 17.3.1

Mac OS 10.13.6

Browsers: Safari, Chrome, and Firefox

Server Error.jpeg

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Okay, glad it's not just me!

Windows 10 OS

Browser Firefox running most recent update (Firefox 123.0) Google also with the most recent update (123.0.6312.22).

Same Glitch also happens from my phone using Firefox or Google (updated on both there as well)

I am still using the Original version of the DASHBOARD as I never bothered to change over, so I'm not sure if that could be the issue or not, but as I cannot actively access the DASHBOARD, I cannot even change it to see if it would make a difference.

** also,

I tried changing the "default.aspx" at the end of the URL https://www.geocaching.com/my/default.aspx to have account/dashboard (https://www.geocaching.com/account/dashboard) but all that did was then revert back to the "default.aspx" which of course gave me the error again

Edited by Stamp My Art
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
55 minutes ago, PlantStrong said:

This Error 500 has started affecting geocaching.com users on a wider level. There's a separate thread just started awhile ago. We cannot access our user "dashboard" whatsoever.

Please fix this! It's definitely an ACCOUNT issue, as it's happening across the board on every device I have.

iOS 17.3.1

iPadOS 17.3.1

Mac OS 10.13.6

Browsers: Safari, Chrome, and Firefox

It's happening on WINDOWS and ANDROID versions as well

Windows 10 OS

Browser Firefox running most recent update (Firefox 123.0) Google also with the most recent update (123.0.6312.22).

Same Glitch also happens from my phone using Firefox or Google (updated on both there as well)

I am still using the ORIGINAL version of the DASHBOARD as I never bothered to change over, so I'm not sure if that could be the issue or not, but as I cannot actively access the DASHBOARD, I cannot even change it to see if it would make a difference.

And I 2nd the please FIX this. It's preventing me from working on an unpublished cache. :(

• Upvote 1

I just now noticed the same issue, Error 500 when I click my icon to view my profile.  I haven't tested other methods.  This would be the old dashboard.  Not sure if I can switch dashboards while the bug is in effect.  I'm beginning to have trouble keeping track of site bugs, or document them so I can explain how to duplicate or mitigate them.  Does it seem like the site is breaking in a variety of ways at an accelerated pace lately?

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

So, I can upload drafts Using Cachly, I can then post those drafts after editing, I can look at something called the Cache Owner Dashboard but all that lets me do is look at recent logs on my caches which I already read in my email. Now, I want to look at my Friends list ... nope, no link on the useless dashboard. My statistics? Nope no like on the useless dashboard. It has lots of nice white space for no apparent reason. Guess I'm done with geocaching for today. Maybe someone in Seattle will fix it tomorrow morning. One can only hope.

• Upvote 1

I got there. I had to go to the help center and search for "Friends List" that link took me to the friends list. Clicked on my finds on the friends list and then on profile at the bottom of my list. That took me where I wanted to be but it is a tedious work around. Time for someone to fix the issue we're all having from our bookmarked access to our profile. That's where we want to be in the first place. 

• Upvote 1

I had the new dashboard open this morning, and the main data under my profile pics were missing, i.e. number of finds etc.

So I tried to switch to the good old one (that is better anyway) and the #500 appeared. 

Happened under Linux/Chrome, same now under Windows/Edge.

I was able to access my public profile via the help center (thanks for the hint @two bisons).

• Upvote 1

Good morning,

no chance to go to our profil today.

"Error 500 - Your request resulted in an error. Please check Geocaching on Twitter for updates. We apologize for the inconvenience. Geocaching home"

occurs.

Can somebody help us pls.?

Robin&Hood

When I go on the geocaching.com website, I get a alert "error 500". I can't use anything on that account! Whatever I hit, it says go to Twitter geocaching. I am not on twitter, never was, never will. What can I do? Thanks for help, Susan

You can't do anything about it until Groundspeak fix it. Also, there was already another thread right below this one, with the discussion, so this topic can probably be closed.

Also, you can still use the site, look up the map, log caches etc. just not the (old) dashboard...

P.S. You can go most common used things on the site from the search page https://www.geocaching.com/play/search

Edited by ivss_xx

OK I admit I did a silly thing. I was working fine on the new dashboard but was interested to see what was happenning with this bug so I clicked to use the old dashboard and I now have the Server Error and no way (that I can find) to go back to the new dashboard :wacko:

• Upvote 4

Could a passing lackey perhaps paste the URL that the old dashboard should provide to "try the new dashboard"?

At least we'd then be able to switch ourselves while waiting for the proper fix (which may never come if the old dashboard is being retired as part of the "user experience" enhancements)

• Upvote 3
36 minutes ago, MartyBartfast said:

At least we'd then be able to switch ourselves while waiting for the proper fix (which may never come if the old dashboard is being retired as part of the "user experience" enhancements)

I hope the old one isnt being retired - I preferred the old one 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
8 hours ago, two bison said:

I have complete confidence in the hamsters. Goodnight.

Well, not me, unfortunately.

It's the same with every release. They screw up with several serious bugs, go to bed (everyone has to go to bed sometime) and leave a mess for us Europeans the next morning.
There are still a lot of bugs from the November release that haven't been fixed since.
The quality of the software is mediocre, to say the least. Groundspeak really needs to focus more on technical quality and thorough functional testing (how could such an error be overlooked?). I'm glad they're not developing something really important. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, but these are facts.

• Upvote 1
27 minutes ago, Deepdiggingmole said:

I hope the old one isnt being retired - I preferred the old one 

That's just supposition on my part, but if they're doing a tech refresh I wouldn't be surprised if they phase out some of the "old" ways of doing things that have been left in place.

For me I just hope they don't decide to tamper with the Browse Map to try and align it with the Search Map.

1 hour ago, MartyBartfast said:

least we'd then be able to switch ourselves while waiting for the proper fix (which may never come if the old dashboard is being retired as part of the "user experience" enhancements)

Switching to the new one would not be an enhancement. Someone in Seattle needs a focus group before they make some of these changes. 

• Upvote 1
  • Love 1
17 minutes ago, hrothroc said:

Switching to the new one would not be an enhancement. Someone in Seattle needs a focus group before they make some of these changes. 

Exactly! The new Dashboard is horrible. The layout is cluttered, and not well presented. It's difficult to get to the things you do quickly without extra steps for some of them. Pretty sure that there will be a 'hot debate' on this though as there was a significant increase in users after 2020 that joined and were immediately presented with the "new dashboard".

If they are trying to "retire the old one" seems like they should have better prepared for it.

1. Warn the users that in X number of days they would not be able to use the older version.

2. Have all the behind the scenes stuff taken care of before they go breaking things so that it's a seamless switch and just automatically move people over to the newer version.

3. Since they gave a choice when they created the new dashboard, and never said the older one was going to be phased out, they should have put it up for a vote by users if they came to the conclusion that it was too much a load to run the two Dashboards side-by-side.

If they are eliminating the original version I'm throwing my hat in the ring to say this is a bad idea as the new one is at least a half a dumpster fire if not a full one, LOL :laughing:

• Helpful 3