From the vague to the soul

pmaupin

My role as an officer in certain categories is becoming more and more difficult. The quality of the proposed wyamarks begins to deteriorate. It looks like the photos are taken in a hurry, just to make numbers and meet the minimum requirements. The non-mandatory variables are not even filled in anymore. Research is minimal. Not a word of apology when you can't find enough things to say about the waymark. When you refuse a waymark, it's just if you're not verbally attacked. I have a lot of trouble playing my role as an officer. I'm not trying to disparage anyone, I'm just giving you my resentment. How do you feel my friends, am I the only one to be in this case?

• Funny 1
  • Love 5

I agree

When i review waymarks, i really like to discover all photos, it's a way of travelling, but unfortunately currently we have an increase of submissions with really poor quality photos.

I am sure it's possible to publish a lot of waymarks with quality photos and we have excellent waymarkers able to do this.

Some waymarkers think that i am not always fair, may be it's true, i am sure that unconsciously it's easier to decline a waymark with poor quality photos.

A waymarker who does not take time to take nice photos does not respect the game. I hope it's not to rude... :lostsignal:

• Funny 1
  • Love 4

Sometimes some information IS difficult to find...

However, I'm happy to accept you telling me (and other Waymarkers) what can be seen there.

eg. Methodist Churches.

Cant find historic information?

What is the church made of? Wood, Stone, Brick?

Does it look old or new? Date - Look around, is there a dated cornerstone/foundation stone. Any dates on stained glass windows? Graveyard? Dates of any burials.

Is it older or newer than the surrounding buildings?

Describe the area the church is in, isolated, residential, commercial?

Ooh, sorry, that means a Waymarker has to do some footwork!

Take pride in what you submit, it's NOT about how many Waymarks you can submit in various categories!

Encourage others to want to visit the Waymark.

• Upvote 2
  • Love 5

As you might expect, I completely agree with you, Papy.

I'm about the only one who reviews in a few fairly busy legacy categories and get almost nothing but copy and paste Waymarks with drive-by photos.

I just continue to hold my nose and closely check each one for proper coordinates, correct URLs, etc and hit the approve button.

Periodically I'll get a REAL Waymark, which elevates my spirits and keeps me going.

I wish I had some enlightening and hopeful words of wisdom for you, Papy, but the simple fact appears to be that the great majority of Waymarkers are basically uninterested in creating a Waymark they would be proud to show to their children, or their parents, their spouse, or even the neighbour over the fence, for that matter.

Such is the state of Waymarking, and neither Papy nor Scroogie (nor Thierry [see below]) are likely to change that anytime soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

2 hours ago, Alfouine said:

A waymarker who does not take time to take nice photos does not respect the game.

Well said, Thierry!!! Thank You for being honest and forthright here.

Keith

Edited by ScroogieII
  • Love 1

When I review my taken photos I try to score the most categories with them. Sometimes that means you only have 1 photo for a certain waymark or the object isn't centrally located in the photo(s). In most cases I submit it with the spirit: 'you have a no, but it can sometimes be a yes'. I strive to make good photos and blurry photos etc will get deleted. 4 out of 5 I am certain about (good photos, interesting info found) but I hope the 1/5 isn't bugging you. Thanks for reviewing so many categories

• Helpful 1

I also agree, but have to admit, that (regarding to the quoted text problem) I sometimes have a problem with the description of my WMs. Example: I do some research on something. If I'm lucky, I find a good wikipedia page (or any other website) about it, explaining the architectural details of it, the history, etc. So, I can either copy and paste the text of that webpage or try to write my own text and just take small portions of text from these webpages. And additionally, most of the time I try to provide some text in English (of course), but also in the local language, which is sometimes very difficult, because I don't know that language at all. Example (one of my older WMs): https://Waymarking.com/waymarks/wmVNE0. For this WM I used some text of the Danish and English Wikipedia pages. Of course I could have made my own description of Nyboder (in my mother tongue German) and translate it to English and Danish, but I admit that I was a little lazy at that time and if I did add my own description, I wouldn't want to have the same information in the wikipedia part and my own words. So, I would have to write my own description without any information that is already in the Wikipedia text or leave it in my own text delete the redundant information in the wikipedia text. No matter, how I do that, it's a lot more work for me, than it is for somebody who creates WM in their own country in their own language, which is English. ;) Note: This is not to complain, but to EXplain my problem and probably the problem of other WMers.

And regarding the photos: Most of my waymarks have photos, that I took with my camera, but sometimes I coincidentally find objects/places when I don't have my camera with me. In these situations I take photos with my mobile phone, and I know that they will never be as good as the photos of my camera, but I take them with the best resolution that my mobile phone offers and I take more than I need to make sure that at least some of them will be better than others. But I also had to review WM with photos that are far smaller than a usual computer display. Sometimes I suspect that they are taken from a geocache, because they are pretty small and approximately the size you might find in geocache galleries.

• Helpful 1
8 minutes ago, Becktracker said:

... the object isn't centrally located in the photo(s)....

Maybe a useful hint: Both my camera and my mobile phone can make panorama images. I try to make panorama images in places, where there are many objects, that might be waymarkable. And later I can crop all the parts of the panorama image that I need for the various waymarks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1

Although I'm only an officer in a few categories, I can certainly understand Phil's concerns and sympathize with his frustration. The quality of the waymarks submitted (text, photo, filled variables) varies: There are some waymarkers who put in a lot of effort, take good photos and pick out quite a lot for a waymark and then there are unfortunately also some waymarkers who think they can get away with the absolute minimum from the category description. Having to approve these waymarks of the latter kind because they correspond to the category description makes me a bit sad.

Therefore, I would like to thank all officers who, despite the poor quality, do not lose heart. You are doing a great job.

Erik.

P.S. I'll admit that I try to cover as many Waymark categories as possible with my photos in general (old churches average two to three category entries), but I still try to throw in some quality and research before submitting.

On the pictures: My smartphone camera isn't really the best, but it's always on hand (unlike my other camera) and the pictures taken are then cropped, slightly post-processed (aligned and sharpened a bit) and then resized to 800 x 600 pixels, which is a compromise between the amount of data uploaded and acceptable image quality - after all, you don't have a high-speed Internet connection everywhere in the world. (We should open another thread if we want a discussion about the ideal image size though...)

• Love 1

Hello partners,

Well, at the request of a reviewer to look at this forum, I do it and answer.

One of the basic things that Waymarking put was that you don't have to be a professional photographer, have a good camera, etc. It seems that this game "is life in it" to some people and we forget that this is a game, not job.

If we have to update the categories, we will have to be done, in the end it is what some reviewers do at their discretion.

When I go on a trip, I take 1,200 photos per city in four days, for example, As like a japanese tourist that take fotos to coats, information panels, buildings, mc donalds, recycling...me too. And then I will select the best ones. Sometimes, someone in this game reviewing, it seems that certain things are not worth it, and in categories of a photo they ask you for 5, that if I did not take more than 1000 I do not know how I would do.

The content, well, there is cut and paste, clear and sometimes difficult to find. Personal experience may be added but sometimes no more than three lines.

a few months ago, let's see if we reach a million WM's. Now the photos are bad and WM of poor quality. Well, the truth is, there are categories that lend themselves to that poor quality, but they do exist.

It seems to me that complaining about photos that a person takes on vacation for this game is in poor taste. If the photos are clear, you can see the object (day or night) There are categories that don't let you at night, but others do. Putting examples of WM that someone took with photos of a 90's kodak I don't see a wonder either.

What I really think is that some people get annoyed when others post.

And when a reviewer tells me that I have "crappy photos" I don't send the WM again.

But daddy phil for me is my idol, if he says photos are bad, they will be bad.

Edited by Ariberna

And if you want we can discuss cameras but

I still think the problem is that there are people reviewing too many categories and this causes fatigue, suffering, frustration and decreased interest. However my gratitude to them.

I've been using iPhone for less than a year, and the truth is Samsung and Huawei took good photos. Iphone at night very good (I invite you to see my latest photos of scenes at night), and with the wide-angle camera I can be able to take Andalusian buildings on streets two meters wide even if they are at an angle or disproportionate.

Panoramic photos are quite bad, I invite you to see my last scenic views brands

And the last but important too: Sorry, I'm not going to buy a 1000+ euro telephoto zoom camera for this...

First: let's see if we reach a million,

then: 200000 missing

then: 100000 missing

Then: (attached photo) of congrats

Ending: bad photos and poor quality now

Future?

A few Spaniards have just been introduced into the game, two of which are creating quite a few WMs (some with 3 featured WMs in a short time) My WM from Ourense that I thought would never have a visit have a few. I start to receive several visits from new people in my WM in lot of parts of the World: Dubai,  Greece, Mexico, Italy, etc.

This grows, WM grows.

I repeat, I took more than thousand of photos per city and now Waymarking is my cloud of photos.

And Alfouine: you said "Some waymarkers think that I am not always fair, may be it's true, I am sure that unconsciously it's easier to decline a waymark with poor quality photos" I think that you never declined one WM mine for bad photos, there were other problems...

And no, you weren't rude here.

Sometimes it seems to me that saying that a published waymark is not of quality seems to meddle a bit, as if in geocaching a reviewer does not publish a cache saying (I don't like plastic test tubes) It also seems to me that the quantity is a debate out of place and late, when there are WM published by the same person in categories that now more than one is not allowed (without it being in the described category).

Well, I'm sorry, I have my number of publications without putting several news from newspapers or local tourism things at the same point, which is now no longer allowed. There are more than 10,000 WM published with a hard work, photos, visits and hours of dedication (since July of 2020) and in which they have given me little by reviewing work. All reviewers know how long is one WM for aprove it and how long takes to do one WM. The difference of time is important. This WM are in many different categories (less half, 599,  with the difficulty that WM has that hundreds are from the USA) and receiving private or approved comments of "you are looking for quantity and not quality". Reviewers recive comments but I too.

If I wanted a quantity, I would travel to Spain to take photos only of containers of recycling and I would not have 599 categories posted.

6D3804AD-35E9-44C8-9F60-B86AF7DCFAF3.jpeg

Edited by Ariberna
some text added

There is a quote "A bad workman always blame his tools"

Todays mobile phones are up to the job of taking good quality photographs for use in Waymarking.

(My mobile phone takes/saves higher quality/file size images than the first professional 35mm camera I used!)

It's not the kit, it's the way it's used.

Don't take a large panoramic photo and then crop out a small part of it for the Waymark.

We know our preferred/favourite/obvious categories and the photos that are required, so can take those photos.

Unknown categories? We can take a good guess at what the required photos are likely to be, and take them! (And extra to be sure!)

I've been using my mobile phone to take the photographs for my submitted Waymarks for the last 10 Years. Used with little or no photoshop editing.

Usually because I'm 'out and about' working, and killing some time between jobs

(I'm an 'Old School' photographer. Get it right in the camera, not in the darkroom. (These days at the computer!)) :)

• Upvote 2
  • Helpful 1
15 hours ago, Bear and Ragged said:

Get it right in the camera, not in the darkroom.

I agree with you and in most cases my pictures are good enough, that I only need to resize from 4000 x 3000 pixels to 800 x 600 (so "MS Paint" is suitable for the job).

But sometimes I need some realigning, because I didn't notice the slight tilt on the smartphone screen and the Monk in me is not happy with the picture as it is.

And sometimes I have to remove some people at the edges of the screen, so I crop them out.

And sometimes I need to blur the license plates of cars for data protection reasons.

• Upvote 1
On 6/22/2023 at 1:53 PM, pmaupin said:

My role as an officer in certain categories is becoming more and more difficult. The quality of the proposed wyamarks begins to deteriorate. It looks like the photos are taken in a hurry, just to make numbers and meet the minimum requirements. The non-mandatory variables are not even filled in anymore. Research is minimal. Not a word of apology when you can't find enough things to say about the waymark. When you refuse a waymark, it's just if you're not verbally attacked. I have a lot of trouble playing my role as an officer. I'm not trying to disparage anyone, I'm just giving you my resentment. How do you feel my friends, am I the only one to be in this case?

I agree with what you are seeing. Submission quality is going wayyyy down, especially for some prolific waymarkers, . I think its in the pure pursuit of numbers, which was NEVER what this game was about.  It's about telling the stories of interesting places - to encoruage others to exploire as well (at least that is how I try and play it).  Have some pride in your submissions -- your name is on them!

With the advent of Google and Wikipedia, there isn no reason NOT to do some minumuim amount of research. We are seeing this most often in the history categories, but it affects other categories as well.  

At the same time, we are seeing (especially with one person in the DAR category) incredibly vitriolic and unhinged reactions to declines of previously-approved-in-other-categories copy-pasted waymark submissions. It is NEVER OK to personally attack reviewers, and even when I disagree with a reviewer, I never attack them personally.

Edited by Benchmark Blasterz
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Helpful 1
  • Love 3

DAR category does not affect me (I was already shaking). I sent one from Spain that was rejected and I did not send more. That category for Spain is nothing, since there are only four DAR points and if mine was not admitted, there are three left. And crazy4horses was very kind to me and said that he would see what happened with that WM.

On the subject of prolific waymarkers, I don't know if I'm among them, but I can tell that this must be the problem for some reviewers. Question the quality... anyway... I to my children's children (remembering these words that someone put here) I'm sorry, I show them my photos, not Waymarking...

The reasons for denying WM because reviewer says that you are looking for statistics is not an ethical reason either. And since I put a colleague in accessibility (inherited category) yesterday because I asked him (please) to cover the optional variables (and I invited him to put the same thing he told me here): change the obligations in the categories or They cannot be requested. What are we left with, as a reviewer of 2 miserable categories, can I or can't I ask for the not mandatory? Please also expect an answer to this question from the reviewers who responded in this forum, because I don't know if I can to request that the non-mandatory be covered. For some categories is easy, But police stations category doesn't It says that you don't even cover the Long description.

It seems good to me, a free debate forum in which reviewers who review dozens or hundreds of categories (some of a certain importance and volume of submissions) give their opinion and ask if the quality of Waymarking has decreased or not. The forums are free thought (at least for some topics). But getting to deny WM's for poor quality (as long as it is not the reason for inadmissible photos) seems absurd to me. That's why my question from before: Can a reviewer deny a WM because it doesn't cover optional variables, doesn't cover long description, or doesn't put more than one photo (which is the mandatory one).

And I think that wayfrog should have put out an ad in which it was mandatory to create a WM two photos and minimal information, although the category does not put it.

And of course, if there are attacks that are reported and action is taken. It's netiquette.

Edited by Ariberna
text
36 minutes ago, Ariberna said:

Can a reviewer deny a WM because it doesn't cover optional variables, doesn't cover long description, or doesn't put more than one photo (which is the mandatory one).

Optional variables are optional. Period. You do not have to fill them, if you don't know - but you should make the best effort.

The other two (long description, pictures) depend on the requirements mentioned in the category description and the posting requirements. For many categories that I know, they require at least some comprehensive text on the waymark and/or personal impressions. Pictures can sometimes be difficult, specially if they do not show the intention of the category (which would be the case if you submit to an architecture category). Unfortunatly we also have some categories with nearly no requirements - perhaps we could make a community review to find those categories and ask the leaders and officers for quality improvement.

Even if the submission sticks to the rules provided, the officer may ask you for some improvements or changes that will hopefully lead to approval. In the seldom case that it does not fit according to the requirements the officer should tell his doubts. Outright denial of a waymark will be if it is an obvious duplicate.

At least that's what I do for the categories I'm officer in and I'm sure that the other officers do the same (regardless of the submitting person) - at least I hope so.

Personal note on how I understand the review process: You are free to state your point of view on the waymark by writing me a message, if I declined your waymark. Do not be emotional and try the best to give facts on why the waymark should be considered - and while doing so you might find things you could use to improve the waymark. And if we can't get a common understanding during our conversation, you always may ask for a group vote.

Thank you FamilieFrohne,

No, I have not had problems with a routemark of yours. It is only a question because here it was stated that the mandatory variables were not covered and in "big and voluminous" categories, sometimes you ask for what you want, and not what is in the category norms. I was just asking because in the two "small" categories that I approve of Police and Accessible, I have had problems due to being inherited, and some do not even ask for a long description, and if you request it, the person who sends it gets upset; but they ask me in others and I have to do them, or the WM is not approved.
In any case, with the years that I have been here (although there are not many and Spanish colleagues already realized how WM works from the forums to approve Giant letters of Cities at that time).

If you complain about a way or ways to proceed and approve/deny pathmarks of a reviewer in the forum, the forum is not for this, you complain, I don't know who, because that same person (it's kind of silly because to someone sometimes, not even putting the example of error in front of him acts.) The problem is between two (reviever and post), you don't have to complain to wayfrog either, you don't have to complain to anyone (since they get angry even the nice reviewers with whom you never had a problem); But yes, a reviewer or several reviewers can complain that brands are bad, lazy, bad photos, attacks, without the forum being closed.
No wonder more than one person once said that this is like a "mafia." And I don't want to think that, because this is growing and it's a game.

And, above all, I do not justify attacks or insults. But like I said, everyone has flippant comments to put up with, and we all make mistakes (reviewers and creators).

In these three years I have noticed a difference in attitude in some reviewers. They no longer have that patience, pedagogy, etc. for which they stood out in my beginnings, in which if they denied you something they told you how to improve or in which category a WM could go. And when patience fails, the process fails. And it's not a language problem.

Edited by Ariberna
more text

It's okay to launch a forum about bad photos and give your opinion.

It is also good to ask if as a reviewer you can ask for things that are not mandatory in the category and that only one person answers.

Well, you know what I say, that sometimes the forums and the WM are better than the ability and wisdom of a reviewer, who says that wikipedia is important to demonstrate that something really exists, and that when wikipedia puts an artistic style on it, they deny it because he feels like it or says that he sends it to a vote when only he votes. 

The important thing for someone (well, really only for a reviewer) is to complain. Complain about everything.
In addition, he likes from time to time (once a month) to deny some WM for no apparent reason (others, if the photo is diverted and the object is not in the center, if he is not able to find the information, if you take a photo from afar or close up...). I'm sorry for the other reviewers who are upset, but the others at their highest percentage are wonderful, and it's what encourages me to continue with this game.
Then poor thing. He puts in the forum that he is afraid of denying a WM to someone, but he makes the noise...

I'm sorry, but if I don't say it I'm going to bust and now I guess the thread will be censored.

Edited by Ariberna
  • Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, Ariberna said:

It is also good to ask if as a reviewer you can ask for things that are not mandatory in the category and that only one person answers.

Well, you know what I say, that sometimes the forums and the WM are better than the ability and wisdom of a reviewer, who says that wikipedia is important to demonstrate that something really exists, and that when wikipedia puts an artistic style on it, they deny it because he feels like it or says that he sends it to a vote when only he votes.

I'm sorry, but if I don't say it I'm going to bust and now I guess the thread will be censored.

???????????

• Surprised 1
1 hour ago, Ariberna said:

The important thing for someone (well, really only for a reviewer) is to complain. Complain about everything.
In addition, he likes from time to time (once a month) to deny some WM for no apparent reason (others, if the photo is diverted and the object is not in the center, if he is not able to find the information, if you take a photo from afar or close up...). I'm sorry for the other reviewers who are upset, but the others at their highest percentage are wonderful, and it's what encourages me to continue with this game.
Then poor thing. He puts in the forum that he is afraid of denying a WM to someone, but he makes the noise...

What do you want with these postings? I don't think they are ok.

• Funny 2

It's incredible: I asked in June 26 "can I or can't I ask for the not mandatory?" and answered one person.

Now I wrote this post and in 7 minutes two answers (none for the question)

What I said: there are topics that are more interesting for anyone...

Well, I leave the subject, it is seen that only a few can complain. I will continue to create lots so that they also deny me lots.

Edited by Ariberna
  • Upvote 1

The quality is going down currently and that is a problem. It is not a new problem, but in the past we had enough new waymarkers who soon developed a sense for the true spirit of the game and that quality in text and picture are essential and more important than the numbers. And we had several waymarkers with high numbers and high quality (We still have, but the balance is not there anymore).

On 6/27/2023 at 9:37 AM, Ariberna said:

In these three years I have noticed a difference in attitude in some reviewers. They no longer have that patience, pedagogy, etc. for which they stood out in my beginnings, in which if they denied you something they told you how to improve or in which category a WM could go. And when patience fails, the process fails. And it's not a language problem.

Beginners are beginners. They don't even know what is right or wrong without being told carefully. And we hope they will develop and become good waymarkers.

Sadly the truth is, you decided to no go that way. You decided to stay an eternal beginner, to not care about anything than numbers, to try to bend any rule and to rely on the patience of the officers forever. After a while every officer will notice that this patience is wasted.

We recently hear a lot about over-tourism. Many famous tourist locations worldwide see themselves in a position that they have to take measures against this phenomenon. A single tourist not behaving perfect is not a problem, but the mass is destructive. They don't want to set up those limitations, but they are forced to.

Now we have something similar in Waymarking. And the basic conflict behind this thread is the question if an officer can bend the rules to slow down a problem waymarker that bends the rules as well. I honestly feel with said officer, but unfortunately the answer seems to be no.

So we need another solution, we cannot just move on like before, because this trend is really destructive and has to be stopped somehow.

Edited by fi67
Typo
  • Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, fi67 said:

Beginners are beginners. They don't even know what is right or wrong without being told carefully. And we hope they will develop and become good waymarkers.

Sadly the truth is, you decided to no go that way. You decided to stay an eternal beginner, to not care about anything than numbers, to try to bend any rule and to rely on the patience of the officers forever. After a while every officer will notice that this patience is wasted.

I would love to be able to write english like that. Fi67 has summarized exactly what i think.

I agree the answer should be no,  but i do not know how to stop this kind of harrassment and if nothing has worked so far...

• Funny 1
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 3

Thank you fi67 for your contribution.
If there is a need to remain a beginner, I will remain a beginner. The truth was more fun.

When you talk about bending the laws, it's not totally the same. If a person creating a WM does not follow the rules, the WM is rejected "legally" and with the rules in hand. There is nothing to say there, I don't follow the laws. To think that a person who makes a post in a WM bends the law and thinks that it is going to be approved, seems to me to be a stupid, not a beginner.

There have been conflicts over review issues. I was searching the forums yesterday because when I joined WM in July 2020 there was a big problem on the forum and I Thought that person could be crazy, but now I doubt. But I don't remember the name of the person who was speaking on behalf of three (I think it had the word wolf or lone, but not precise.

A few months ago there was talk of censorship (and it wasn't me).

If an officer does something illegal (or not fully legal) nothing happens, it's all wonderful and no problem at all. 

Bear, Thanks for saying to follow the rules and observe posted marks. I do it frequently even if the yardstick is not the same and I am denied a WM for some conditions that then another one is published. We could give you examples.

That's why I asked if, as an officer, I could insist on asking for more things than I could ask for. But the question was already useless, depending on who you are, it can be done. I was checking the police category and when they sent me a blank "long description" and asked for content, it was not in the rules, and I could not ask them to put something. But other categories can ask for whatever they want.

Anyway, I don't know what I have to justify, because the only problem I considered in the past, was ONE person. I don't consider reviewers or other people problematic. What happens is that I do not shut up and say it, and not by private as they have told me that I am right, and there is a reviewer who goes over the red line. I'm sorry about two things: the first is if my ways were rude, and the second is that among some the unjustifiable is justified.

Finally I will say that I am leaving the forum. That I leave the forums for a long time, since they have only brought me problems. I will not see neither the response to this one, nor new category discussions, etc. Therefore, the same reviewer eager to be wayfrog2.0 and be able to do as he pleases and even remove me from the game, that approving me a WM sent me to this topic forum, please refrain from doing so again.

I will continue to create in a beginner way (and if I feel like it) massive, to be denied for various reasons (arbitrary, bad photos, missing text, I want more photos than the mandatory, cover optional variables, because they tell me I'm looking for statistics, because they put it to vote, because it does not fit, etc, etc). 

fi67, I think of all the ones you denied me I only asked you about one bridge, the others are archived. If I gave you any problems I would like to know. I would like to ask barbershop, outspoken, scoogrie, jake, CADS, familyfronne, bench, graham, saopaolo, bluesnote, pmaupin, and a long etc (sorry for tipo mistakes and digits that aren't, but I write by memory) if we had a problem with a non published WM mine with them. But I don't do it, because I won't enter in this foro.
Sorry for the English. DeepL transl.

Regards and Goodbye

Edited by Ariberna