Lamp post panel?

Hi everyone

I'm looking at hiding a cache on a particular street (due to its name and connection to the theme of the cache) but due to other caches nearby, my options are a bit limited.

One possibility is a lamp post - I've found caches which are curved, magnetic panels, stuck to lamp posts (like the panel in the picture but smaller) but I can't find these panels online anywhere, even without magnets.

Has anybody hidden a cache this way, and if so could you point me in the right direction for getting the panel? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

lamppost.jpg

Do you mean this sort of thing, but curved to fit the profile of a post?

If so I've never seen anything like that for sale, I suppose they might be available "in the trade" but not gonna be easy to get hold of retail, so I suspect they might have been custom made, or one of these which they've curved themselves

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-blanking-plate-brushed-stainless-steel/63495

15 hours ago, halftimelord said:

Hi everyone

I'm looking at hiding a cache on a particular street (due to its name and connection to the theme of the cache) but due to other caches nearby, my options are a bit limited.

One possibility is a lamp post - I've found caches which are curved, magnetic panels, stuck to lamp posts (like the panel in the picture but smaller) but I can't find these panels online anywhere, even without magnets.

Has anybody hidden a cache this way, and if so could you point me in the right direction for getting the panel? I'm in the UK.

Thanks!

lamppost.jpg

What is the function of that on a lamp post?  Is it an access plate that covers wiring?  Is it held on by one screw?  Hard to tell in that picture.  I've had some luck finding interesting fixtures and plates by visiting the smaller, more cluttered hardware stores.  Offline.  I've never seen specific parts for municipal light posts.  But it seems to me that something like that would be rather easy to make.

As a Geocache, is that a panel with a log sheet glued to the back of it?  I don't see how much of a container could fit behind that plate, even if it covers a hole.  But in theory, you may design it from a large, flat flexible magnet (if the post is magnetic), and paint the outside silver.

Edited by kunarion
On 6/2/2023 at 9:28 AM, halftimelord said:

Curious...  Do you already know who to contact for permission to "alter" their lamp post?   Thanks.    :)

• Upvote 1
  • Funny 1
11 hours ago, kunarion said:

As a Geocache, is that a panel with a log sheet glued to the back of it?  I don't see how much of a container could fit behind that plate, even if it covers a hole.  But in theory, you may design it from a large, flat flexible magnet (if the post is magnetic), and paint the outside silver.

Sometime during the last decade I think Groundspeak began prohibiting flat caches like that. There must be a three-dimensional container for the logsheet, not simply a flat cover like a magnet.

1 hour ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Sometime during the last decade I think Groundspeak began prohibiting flat caches like that. There must be a three-dimensional container for the logsheet, not simply a flat cover like a magnet.

You can appeal for special permission. I had to do it for one of my hides.

2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

IIRC, a Reviewer responded at one time in these forums that a simple "baggie" attached to the back would satisfy the "container" requirement.

• Upvote 2
  • Surprised 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, JL_HSTRE said:

Really? If such a rule exists, it apparently hasn't reached reviewers in my area. It was less than 6 months ago, that I last found a new "flat" cache.

The exact wording in the Guidelines is that the log must be "enclosed within a container." A baggie might technically qualify by the dictionary but probably shouldn't for geocaching purposes, unless perhaps reinforced with something like duct tape.

Even if allowed, a baggie tucked behind a magnet, sign, etc isn't a good choice for survivability.

The log must also be "replaceable." I interpret that as meaning a piece of paper glued to the back of a magnet or plate doesn't meet that criteria. Yes, you might scrape it off or affix another paper over the first, or replace the entire magnet if it's small/cheap enough, but it seems against the intent.

Paper exposed constantly to the outdoors atmosphere, even covered by a magnet or plate is going to get ruined by moisture pretty quickly in most areas.

Yes I recall that question arising with the new rule. It was to dissuade the magnetic sheet style flat stuck to a surface and exposed to rain and moistures, things like that.  If a log is in a baggie or makeshift 'flatpack' wrap that can close, it's still permissible.

The guidance about magnetic sheets as containers that enclose replaceable logs was first given formally to Reviewers on July 10, 2007, so it's not very "new."  I was following that guidance prior to then.  The guidance is easily available for all Reviewers' reference.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 3
3 hours ago, ecanderson said:

Still seeing the occasional *new* "paper on flat refrigerator style magnet" caches here, usually on transformers.

I have seen plenty of them recently (new caches). However, there are some variations. One has a pocket for the logsheet that can be replaced even the cache itself is pretty flat. Anyway, most implementations have only magnetic sheet with a replaceable adhesive tape for logs.

5 hours ago, Keystone said:

The guidance is easily available for all Reviewers' reference.

It seems that the guidance for reviewers has not taken into consideration of cache owners.

Edited by arisoft
  • Funny 1

The Geocache Hiding Guidelines tell a discerning Cache Owner enough information to determine that asking people to sign a magnet or other object isn't allowed:

There used to be paragraph upon paragraph of text content in the Guidelines, but Cache Owners complained that the Guidelines were too long to read and hard to understand.  Geocaching HQ reacted by converting much of the Guideline text to bullet point outlines.  Much of the detailed content is now found in Help Center articles.  The Guideline text on logbooks, in its entirety, now reads as follows:

Must include logbook

For all physical caches, there must be a logbook for geocachers to record their visit. The logbook must be

• Physical
  • Replaceable
  • Easy to sign
  • Enclosed within a container

Examples: Notebook, paper scroll.

I boldfaced the words "replaceable" and "enclosed within" for easy reference.

While it's true that more detailed guidance is made available for reference by Reviewers on hundreds of detailed questions, including "magnets as containers," including all those details in the Guidelines themselves would bloat the Guidelines to the point where even fewer people would read them.

Edited by Keystone
  • Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
3 hours ago, Keystone said:

While it's true that more detailed guidance is made available for reference by Reviewers on hundreds of detailed questions, including "magnets as containers," including all those details in the Guidelines themselves would bloat the Guidelines to the point where even fewer people would read them.

Agreed. It seems more efficient to instead of provide a whitelist of what is allowed rather than a blacklist of everything that's at some point decided as restricted... 

Other causes for their existence now may occasionally be an exception, a container change since publish, or the cache being intentionally misdescribed... If someone is concerned, bold, and brave and decides to report what they find, the reviewer can decide if action should be taken or if it was permitted as is.

4 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Other causes for their existence now may occasionally be an exception, a container change since publish, or the cache being intentionally misdescribed... If someone is concerned, bold, and brave and decides to report what they find, the reviewer can decide if action should be taken or if it was permitted as is.

I think that no one is concerned because the publishing reviewer among other reviewers may visit this kind of caches without problems. I guess that reviewers do not take this guidance seriously. Perhaps the grounds for banning this type caches are too flimsy? (Or there is a loophole in the detailed guidelines?)

Edited by arisoft
  • Funny 1
  • Surprised 1