The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I haven't got any new notifications until today. :D:lol::P Then, a whole bunch came in today. Glad to know others were having the same problem. BUT, how did other people get the listings if we didn't???? :mellow::ph34r::ph34r:

The only thing not working was the email notification. If you set up a pocket query for caches that haven't been found yet, you can see anything new there. Don't actually generate the query, leave the day of the week unchecked. Then, whenever you want to check for new caches, go to your query list, and hit preview. That will show you any new caches not found.

Then again, once you have the query set up, download the utility that Chuy gave the link for. That utility continuously monitors your "New Cache Query" that you set up, and will notify you as soon as a cache is published. :P

I haven't got any new notifications until today. :P:P:ph34r: Then, a whole bunch came in today. Glad to know others were having the same problem. BUT, how did other people get the listings if we didn't???? :ph34r::lol::D

The only thing not working was the email notification. If you set up a pocket query for caches that haven't been found yet, you can see anything new there. Don't actually generate the query, leave the day of the week unchecked. Then, whenever you want to check for new caches, go to your query list, and hit preview. That will show you any new caches not found.

Then again, once you have the query set up, download the utility that Chuy gave the link for. That utility continuously monitors your "New Cache Query" that you set up, and will notify you as soon as a cache is published. :mellow:

To save a couple steps bookmark the links to your pocket queries; if you save your password with cookies, you will be able to go directly to the pocket query.

I had a coworker send me this since it involved a geocacher. :D

http://www.herald.ns.ca/Front/9000591.html

That is one view I don't ever want to see! :D

That's fricking gross! :D

Maybe he wasn't actually playing with his "member". He could have had one of those new fangled wrist-watch style gps units! Maybe he mounted it on his "member" and was just following it to the same cache! :)

Ok, me, me...I'll change the subject!

So last week, I was fortunate enough to have to work in Hawaii. Of course, I couldn't resist and went geocaching. There are some really great caches over on Oahu, with some fantastic views! If anybody is heading over there, I highly recommend Makapuu Point [lighthouse]. So I won't post the pics here, but feel free to go to my profile and check out the pics.

Happy Valentines Day to everybody! :)

I had a coworker send me this since it involved a geocacher. :D

That is one view I don't ever want to see! :D

That's fricking gross! :D

Maybe he wasn't actually playing with his "member". He could have had one of those new fangled wrist-watch style gps units! Maybe he mounted it on his "member" and was just following it to the same cache! :)

Drum roll........So the assistant commisioner must have been in one of those "Members Only" clubs.... :D

Sorry to digress..... B)

I had a coworker send me this since it involved a geocacher. :P

That is one view I don't ever want to see! :P

That's fricking gross! :P

Maybe he wasn't actually playing with his "member". He could have had one of those new fangled wrist-watch style gps units! Maybe he mounted it on his "member" and was just following it to the same cache! B)

Drum roll........So the assistant commisioner must have been in one of those "Members Only" clubs.... B)

Sorry to digress..... :P

Did you notice the geocachers name? "Beiswanger"

Thanks for reminding me. I just added it to my watch list. I don't think I can make it down to where it is now but will keep track of it as it moves. Hopefully it will come to me as the other one did. :D

I agree! It's too far away right now for me to drive to with the risk that it wont be there. Interestingly, Latitude 32 told me that lots of areas thoroughout the country had successfully made local rules so that everyone in the area could log the cache before it left the area! Very cool! Therefore, I would like to request that the SD cachers follow a guideline to only move traveling caches on even days!

I can't make everyone agree to do it, but if I ever get to log any traveling cache I promise to leave it where it is, if it is an odd day!!! :D

Thanks for reminding me. I just added it to my watch list. I don't think I can make it down to where it is now but will keep track of it as it moves. Hopefully it will come to me as the other one did. :D

I agree! It's too far away right now for me to drive to with the risk that it wont be there. Interestingly, Latitude 32 told me that lots of areas thoroughout the country had successfully made local rules so that everyone in the area could log the cache before it left the area! Very cool! Therefore, I would like to request that the SD cachers follow a guideline to only move traveling caches on even days!

I can't make everyone agree to do it, but if I ever get to log any traveling cache I promise to leave it where it is, if it is an odd day!!! :D

If you guys want to let the cache stay static for a little while that's ok. But, I would ask that if you are going to do that the cache is in a location where muggles are at a minimum.

Thanks!

We never signed up for the automatic email notification...

It works better the old fashoned way for us :huh: , sometimes we even write coords down and PUNCH THEM IN BY HAND :ph34r:;);)

And, we'll be glad to go to church with you on the 26th of the month :huh::lol:;)

~Jess

Oh my, I thought that was just me that used paper, pencil and fingertips...

so cool. Glad to see some other people do it that way too! (oh sure, I have the GSK thing, but I don't usually use it.)

jen

For those of you who have wondered about mountain lions in our backyard, here is a photo shoot I did with and for the Anza Borrego Foundation back in January at a 4-day-old kill site in Culp Valley and another site on the north side of Grapevine Mountain.

http://www.geocities.com/dlejr/mountainlio...006/index1.html

Both of these kills were by a radio collared female lion who presently has two juveniles in tow.

A year ago I had a tentative spotting of one of these big cats when climbing the west side of Grapevine to hide a geocache. It was the right color and size and quickly disappeared in steep rugged terrain, moving unlike any other animal I have ever seen out in the wild. Too bad it did not stick around for a portrait.

-Gecko Dad

A lioness's view of Culp Valley

p1220772_abovekillsiteviewofculpvalley25per.jpg

Legs ...

p1220748_fourdayolddeerremains20per.jpg

and antlers

p1220813_threeorfouryearoldbuck25per.jpg

Kitty lair

p1220786_bigcatlair20per.jpg

It is off season for swimming holes but desert waterfalls are quite another matter. This is the taller of two Maidenhair Falls in Anza Borrego's Hellhole Canyon as it looked on Friday. Total height of this one is reportedly 25 feet.

74fd1e43-3086-4f26-aa1c-fffb64d62344.jpg

A land of hidden Palm Groves

fb17d466-fe51-4731-93bd-092defd8d15e.jpg

Russ getting in a little camera action (but staying dry)

13b62cc5-a1e8-4722-bfe8-44282f34df44.jpg

... and making like he was a Bighorn

ceba5dd3-4d17-4b48-96fa-7c48c21ce21f.jpg

Our incredible view of the Santa Rosas at the end of the day

90a2f612-7e80-4f01-8430-3e2bbabf495a.jpg

-GD

It is off season for swimming holes but desert waterfalls are quite another matter...... -GD

Great shots Don. Thanks for sharing. RM

Don, when's the coffee table book of the desert coming out? You've definitely got enough awesome shots and knowledge to publish something like that...

It is off season for swimming holes but desert waterfalls are quite another matter. This is the taller of two Maidenhair Falls in Anza Borrego's Hellhole Canyon as it looked on Friday. Total height of this one is reportedly 25 feet.

74fd1e43-3086-4f26-aa1c-fffb64d62344.jpg

A land of hidden Palm Groves

fb17d466-fe51-4731-93bd-092defd8d15e.jpg

Russ getting in a little camera action (but staying dry)

13b62cc5-a1e8-4722-bfe8-44282f34df44.jpg

... and making like he was a Bighorn

ceba5dd3-4d17-4b48-96fa-7c48c21ce21f.jpg

Our incredible view of the Santa Rosas at the end of the day

90a2f612-7e80-4f01-8430-3e2bbabf495a.jpg

-GD

Awesome photos Don!! :lol:

Hey fellow S.D. Cachers,

I am brand new to geo caching, my brother and brother in law have been doing it for years, my brother has like 1500 finds in like 5 different countries but he lives in salt lake city, I am looking for somebody around spring valley to geo cache with, nobody i know has a gps, if anybody is looking for a geo cache partner hit me up at oceangrfx@msn.com, thanks

Brandon aka (DKZ) EL CHORIZO

Hey fellow S.D. Cachers,

I am brand new to geo caching, my brother and brother in law have been doing it for years, my brother has like 1500 finds in like 5 different countries but he lives in salt lake city, I am looking for somebody around spring valley to geo cache with, nobody i know has a gps, if anybody is looking for a geo cache partner hit me up at oceangrfx@msn.com, thanks

Welcome El Chorizo! You may want to check the San Diego Events thread. We use this thread to post geocaching outings. This past week a group of us did Mt. McGinty. This is a good spot to check what's going on or to post a map/meeting place/date/time of an area you'd like to do! :laughing:

Hey fellow S.D. Cachers,

come on out to this two events next month and meet some local cachers. gctee3 Cito Event gct4te Campout.

:laughing:

Hey fellow S.D. Cachers,

come on out to this two events next month and meet some local cachers. gctee3 Cito Event gct4te Campout.

:laughing:

I'll be making chorizo & eggs for breakfast :laughing: .

I'll email you next time I go down 94; is 5:30a too late for you?

:(

The Dinosaur Cache has been disabled and will be archived. It has been muggled. Prior to it being stolen, it was visited by 30+ people in just under 2 months. Not too bad for a large 5 gallon bucket in a commonly travelled area. I still have more dinosaurs, so another one may pop up in the future in a different location.

It was fun sharing the same road with the smallest cache! Thanks to all who made it out to visit..

Paul

The Bikedog coins have arrived!

The look fantastic!

Thanks to PW for the idea, and CachingWidow for doing the artwork!

We will be packing orders after the event this Sunday. Anyone attending the event may purchase coins there. As you may or may not know, all proceeds for this coin go to a trust fund for Jerry's daughter.

256806cf-96e1-4ed3-8d78-8275025ab186.jpg

d2cc6112-f9ff-4920-a849-61a3eb0aa268.jpg

Editing to add this info: The coin on the left was a gift from the manufacturer. They made 5 extra coins with Jerry's name instead of a tracking number. The middle coin is an antique silver finish, and there were only 10 made. The copper one is the one that is for sale.

Edited by Cornerstone4

I have room for one mortal cacher and/or your geo dog. I'll be leaving Friday morning (from Lakeside) and returning Sunday mid-afternoon.

My intended route is 67 to Ramona to Hwy78 to 79 to San Felipe Rd to 79 to 78 to Ocotillo. That could change if an FTF opportunity arises to the east which would take me to I8 east to 79 or further down to Imperial Hwy and backtrack on the S2.

Edited by Chuy