Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
two bison

New Maps test

I was trying out the new maps. I tried to search for caches in an area and to apply a filter so that I was not shown the caches I've already found. This is useful and easy to do in the old maps ... which work fine for me, by the way. I was not able to do this. The only place I could see to do this was by entering my caching name in the "Not Found By" box. The search still showed caches found by me. 

Found that the Feedback is in Release Notes so I'll take my information there.

Edited by two bison
feedback location found
  • Upvote 1

The new maps are nowhere near as detailed as the current Open Street Map (default), and as such they have, in my opinion,  limited use here in the UK.

For people used to UK Ordnance Survey type maps, the change in Footpaths to yellow lines is confusing, as yellow, and orange, lines represent roads.

The maps do not show bus (transit) stops either.

I attach two screen dumps of the same area to illustrate my point.

South_Woodham_Ferrers1.png

South_Woodham_Ferrers_2_NEWMAP.png

• Upvote 1

The GC maps don't render the store area (in the right-hand top corner).... or a school (south of the stores).... 😮

Nor useful info like parking or access=no.  Keep us from trespassing, please.

It's been mentioned.

Nothing has changed with the style since Day One, in spite of feedback. This leads me to believe they've simply picked a pre-packaged style from some sort of catalog, without the ability to customize.

I'm willing to, and would be happy to, be corrected.

10 hours ago, Viajero Perdido said:

Nothing has changed with the style since Day One, in spite of feedback.

Yep, I've made several posts detailing important and critical issues with the style, but nothing has been done. Even critical things like one-way arrows haven't been added.

• Upvote 1

The new maps have no distance scales on them - useless for planning.

The old filters were much more relevant, and were in the correct place - on the Search page.

Altogether a Retrograde step !!

On 11/5/2018 at 4:54 PM, The A-Team said:

Yep, I've made several posts detailing important and critical issues with the style, but nothing has been done. Even critical things like one-way arrows haven't been added.

I imagine work is being done but in major increments, not hot fixes, leaving old insufficient content active for the public (which isn't the best idea in concept unless it's providing some benefit).  At worst, no one is working it...

tumblr_n0w1yhSBKg1qcgzbvo10_r2_250.gif

On 11/4/2018 at 11:15 PM, Pontiac_CZ said:

The GC maps don't render the store area (in the right-hand top corner).... or a school (south of the stores).... 😮

Or even the street names at the outer zoom level.  I look at an area and don't see any street names at zoom 15 with the GC map, but if I switch to OSM at the same zoom level then most of the street names appear. So, with the GC map, I have to keep zooming in/out to browse an area to get meaningful location landmarks.  I don't know if zooming in/out requires more from the server than if I just stayed at the same zoom level and panned less, but if does, then having more detail like the OSM layer would reduce server use.

I was a beta tester for the new maps and I told HQ that there were major issues with the search criteria - particularly events.  I realize that I use my computer for planning my geocaching and not any phone app.  In the old criteria after you got your list, you could sort events by date.  That way you could plan for a future date or even find out what was available today and how far away.  This method doesn't allow you to do that, you have to open each event to determine the date - and show past event dates that haven't been archived.  And they aren't even listed by closest to home. 

This may be nice for phone apps, but it is very inconvenient for those of us who use our computers to plan our geocaching activities.

I had to get used to the new search but when i saw the advantage of it, I constantly used it. For me the advantage was that you could see which cache had a personal note. 

Now with the new change, this has gone again. 

Can you tell me how/where I can see, which caches have a personal note?

The new link to the new opt-out in another topic does not work either.

Thanks for your answer.

28 minutes ago, joke18 said:

I had to get used to the new search but when i saw the advantage of it, I constantly used it. For me the advantage was that you could see which cache had a personal note. 

Now with the new change, this has gone again. 

Can you tell me how/where I can see, which caches have a personal note?

The new link to the new opt-out in another topic does not work either.

Thanks for your answer.

For me, the opt out link is in the same place: click on "what's this" at the top of the map. Further instructions are provided there.

I tried the new map and I have to say I do not like it at all.

First of all, the map:

The map that is selected as the default looks like the OSM/Leaflet map with the Geocaching view of the old map. However, on the old map I could switch to another view like "Open Street Map Default". My two wishes here are 1. Please allow to remember my choice instead of going back to the "Geocaching" view which is IMHO the worst of all of them. Not enough details, especially for hiking trips (I love to do hiking geocaching trips). My second wish is to be able to use even more map sources. (For example, www.mapy.cz have a great hiking map (called "tourist") with nicely marked hiking trails, I wish I could see geocaches on that map too ...)

But instead all of this they do the opposite and remove the good maps leaving the bad, less detailed maps only. It is bad enough that the geocaching app has the limited map choice, now they want to bring the same to the website ? Please do not do this, Geocaching.com !

Second: The filter: I found the new filter too simplistic with less choices. I could not figure out how to restrict searching to a specific country. Again, there were things missing in the old filters, for example, when I want to go out with a geocaching friend, I want to set up a filter for caches that neither of us owns nor found. I wish this could be possible. And again, instead of adding filtering options, they are removed.

I hope GC does not pay their web developers to make the website  worse and remove useful features.

• Upvote 2

Tried the new maps in the search area and it takes forever for it to download.  How do I go back to getting a list view instead of a mapview?? 

I am getting so frustrated with using the new map with the official Geocaching app. It keeps defaulting to ‘cache direction up’ but I want to set (and keep) north up. I can change it each time but want to set it once and leave it.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, MotherHen12 said:

I am getting so frustrated with using the new map with the official Geocaching app. It keeps defaulting to ‘cache direction up’ but I want to set (and keep) north up. I can change it each time but want to set it once and leave it.

Not sure you are referring to the same "new map" that this thread is about.  This thread is about the "new map" on the website.  There is no "new map" in the app.

Regarding the issue you're seeing.  Have you changed the setting in the app Settings menu?   See the middle section of this page:  https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=102&pgid=694

• Upvote 1

On 11/29/2018 at 10:26 AM, Max and 99 said:

For me, the opt out link is in the same place: click on "what's this" at the top of the map. Further instructions are provided there.

Thanks, but now this options has gone as well.

2 minutes ago, joke18 said:

No. The links are still there.

Hans

11 hours ago, joke18 said:

I'm still seeing it.

20 hours ago, joke18 said:

If you can't find the link, which should still be there, then you can go directly to the Opt Out  HERE .

image.png.738d0470e82c6538f55c3a814e64a15f.png