Icon For Challenge caches

We're still challenge-free, but by what we've seen, hiking doesn't have much to do with many challenges.

- A lotta park n grabs were designed by COs to meet them .

Though the final for a popular one in my state is a hike to get to, the requirements for it often aren't. :)

I started this thread not about whether or not there should be an icon. I was just curious about what it could or should look like if there was one and was hoping someone with graphic talent could come up with something fitting and interesting.

Hey, is that a challenge? :laughing:

If changing the cache type from mystery/puzzle to a new challenge type would cause too much angst, then perhaps an attribute could be created instead. This would still be filterable/searchable, but perhaps with less drama.

Perhaps something like:

2ecf464b-e3e2-44a2-886b-b10d2a84043b.png

If changing the cache type from mystery/puzzle to a new challenge type would cause too much angst, then perhaps an attribute could be created instead. This would still be filterable/searchable, but perhaps with less drama.

Perhaps something like:

I like the icon...

But I don't think they'll ever make the change. Just think of all the already found and logged CCs that'll need retrofit.

GS is having enough trouble getting the dashboard, profile, and app working. Do you really want them to go through all your / our previous finds and change them to the new type / icon?

There should be no icon for Challenge caches.

Use the extant icons but with badging.

Here's an image I created for the [FEATURE] Challenge Stars thread, showing how the map filter might work:

792ef72b-2fb3-475c-bf51-a720ab1b3e24.png

This is not a discussion on whether or not there should be a Challenge icon.

It's about if there were one, hypothetically, what could it look like or, as was suggested, an attribute?

Having said that, the added star looks like an interesting way to go about it.

Edited by colleda

Perhaps something like:

I like the icon...

But I don't think they'll ever make the change. Just think of all the already found and logged CCs that'll need retrofit.

GS is having enough trouble getting the dashboard, profile, and app working. Do you really want them to go through all your / our previous finds and change them to the new type / icon?

"Found and logged" doesn't come into it, and they don't need to go through all my/your finds at all.

If it's an Unknown type, it has Challenge in the title and it has a link to a Project-GC challenge checker then it's 99.9% certainly a Challenge so give it the attribute.

If it's an Unknown type, and it has Challenge in the title but doesn't have a link to a Project-GC checker (an old challenge) then it's 80% certainly a challenge cache, so give it an attribute. In order to improve the success rate this phase could be implemented via a script which is provided to the local reviewers to run for their area to produce a list of candidates where they could de-select anything they know isn't a challenge, and I expect the reviewers would be able to get close to 100% certainty just by looking at the cache titles.

COs get notified that their cache has been given the attribute, and if it's been wrongly added then they can go back and correct it.

I'm guessing at the % above, and I think it's a somewhat pointless discussion as I can't see GS implementing it but it shouldn't be so difficult to implement.

You may not have guessed this from my prior post of the "person jumping through flaming hoops," but I am actually a big fan of challenge caches. My first post was an attempt to lighten up the discussion. Challenge caches are fun, and for me, one of the things that motivate me to keep finding caches!

From what's been posted thus far, I kind of like niraD's simple checkbox graphic the best. And, the more I think about it, I don't care whether it's an attribute (for application by the owners of existing challenge caches) or the icon for a brand-new cache type. Doing it as an attribute avoids all sorts of logistical issues caused by retroactively applying the icon to existing caches:

2. It can't be a simple mechanical conversion of all Mystery caches with the word "Challenge" in their name. Not all challenge caches have the word "Challenge" in their name, as would be required under current guidelines. Not all mystery caches with the word "Challenge" in their name are "Challenge Caches." For example, there are 39 mystery caches with the phrase "Sudoku Challenge" in their name, each with a challenging puzzle to solve in order to find the coordinates.
  3. Changing cache types could upset someone's statistics, badge levels or progress in completing challenge caches. For example, if I qualified for a challenge cache requiring me to find 200 mystery caches, the reclassification of challenge caches to their own icon would mean that I no longer qualified, since I've found 131 challenge caches with the "?" icon.

What it comes down to is that I'd like a way to search just for challenge caches, and an attribute gives me enough information to do that (although I need to use the pocket query interface rather than the general search page).

We dont need an icon. The current one is fine and i don't want my existing stats to be interfered with as I have found a lot of challenges

They appear to have vast "Grandfathering" powers at the lily pad, perhaps your old finds could remain ? and anyone who desires something new could have the new thing.

There hasn't been anything new in the game for a long time, why discourage something which adds to the game?

I've long thought forking some current cache lines into more than one would be a good thing.

As it is the Unknown is a sort of catch-all:

- Challenges

- Solve at home puzzles

- Teamwork puzzles (yes, there's an attribute, but I'm elaborating here)

- Field puzzles (ibid)

- Expansions of Multicaches (where some puzzle solving at each stage, as example)

- Traveling caches (now dead, but living on in memory)

- International/intranational cooperation caches

- Anything else not mentioned here which doesn't fit the other main categories

Lord knows we still need something virtual as there are exceptionally worthy sites for caches where nothing physical is allowed and putting in a Earthcache, which by roundabout means, references what's so key about the locale (for those who like to dredge up Waymarking, yeah, I've heard of it, but it's a different game.)

Edited by DragonsWest

cup-award-championship-challenge-128.png

Hasn't that image come to mean Attended?

tongue.gif

Close. Participated.

Ah, as in some of the criticism I've seen of the self esteem promotion attempts some places in the world - where everyone's a winner for at least giving it a go, showing up or at least looking in the right direction. Well, we're better than that, aren't we? Or are we heading in the much maligned direction of "everyone's a winner"? Smells like digressing, onward!

I've always preferred the lightning bolt.

bolt.png