Hate when I post a DNF and then ...

Aw come on, you know that when the tables are turned, you want to log, "thanks for an easy one!", or "found cache readily" :lol:

4 of us on a day hunting specific caches, mostly the oldest in several counties. We spent a long, long, long time DNFing stage 1 of a multi-cache. Next log, "thanks, this was our first find" ;-)

I recently looked for a cache - an ammo box, even! - and couldn't find it even though I checked every spot that matched the hint. Then a day later someone posts a "Found it" log:

Thanks.

That's all. Just 'Thanks.'

Anyway...so I go back a week or two later and find it in a spot that is much further from the trail than the hint says it should be. I decide I can't help myself and in my found it log I say "The only thing that bothers me more than a find the day after I post a DNF on a cache is when all that log says is "Thanks" or "TFTC". That's all I will say about that."

Edited by J Grouchy

I recently looked for a cache - an ammo box, even! - and couldn't find it even though I checked every spot that matched the hint. Then a day later someone posts a "Found it" log:

Thanks.

Anyway...so I go back a week or two later and find it in a spot that is much further from the trail than the hint says it should be. I decide I can't help myself and in my found it log I say "The only thing that bothers me more than a find the day after I post a DNF on a cache is when all that log says is "Thanks" or "TFTC". That's all I will say about that."

The cache wasn't missing and you were able to find it. Plus, the one word logger was able to verify it was there for you, and likely left it uncovered for you out of laziness. You may want to thank them. :P

Aw come on, you know that when the tables are turned, you want to log, "thanks for an easy one!", or "found cache readily" :lol:

4 of us on a day hunting specific caches, mostly the oldest in several counties. We spent a long, long, long time DNFing stage 1 of a multi-cache. Next log, "thanks, this was our first find" ;-)

Haha! I might do that NOW! "Oh, man! That was the easiest cache I EVER found in my 6 years of caching. I found it blindfolded and with my arms tied behind my back." Booyah!

Love your story of the "first find". Gaaaaaaahhh!!!

Thanks.

Whoa! Go git 'em, Grouchy! Lol! For sure they could expound a liiiiittle more than just "Thanks". Grrr.

Thanks.

The cache wasn't missing and you were able to find it. Plus, the one word logger was able to verify it was there for you, and likely left it uncovered for you out of laziness. You may want to thank them. :P

Not the point...but it goes back to the whole issue of logging "TFTC" or "Thanks" or even just a "." and other such meaningless stuff. It's all made worse when it's the day after my DNF...like salt in an open wound.

At least lie to me and say it took you hours! Lol!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I am so very bad at finding caches. I search for hours (usually my DNF is vague about how long I searched), and there are so many likely spots in that place, I don't have the time nor inclination to search them all. It's not inside that hollow tree, right? The one with about a thousand little crevices. Looks like it will collapse at any moment.

So I type my log:

"DNF. I searched for a long time. The cache page map icon seems to be in the middle of the street. I can't make sense of the cache title, description, nor the hint."

And three hours later, a cacher finds it and logs something like this:

"My two-year-old found this in ten seconds. If you read the previous logs, the exact location and hide style, and container design is obvious. It's so easy, it's practically impossible to not find it. I love the amazingly precise cache title, icon and the hint, although it makes the find so very easy. Man that was easy. I almost wish this were even a slight challenge. It couldn't have been easier if someone just handed me the cache. Thanks for the super easy cache that anybody can find so easily!"

Edited by kunarion

... the next 10 yahoos say "Easy find", "Didn't take long", blah blah BLAH! Especially those with significantly fewer finds than me. Way to rub salt in my wound, people! At least lie to me and say it took you hours! Lol!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

All too often the next "Find" after my DNF is a throwdown, even if it is not specifically stated. I have gone back to some DNFs and then found the throwdown, or a subsequent log will clarify the situation. Always makes me say, Well, gee, I could have done that.

Sometimes the "first finds" by n00bs is that they managed to use their Smartphone app to navigate to the coordinates and don't really know, or care, that they were supposed to find an actual object.

Do either of these scenarios make you feel any better?

Thanks.

Not the point...but it goes back to the whole issue of logging "TFTC" or "Thanks" or even just a "." and other such meaningless stuff. It's all made worse when it's the day after my DNF...like salt in an open wound.

A DNF should not be like an open wound. You were there and looked, that's all. If there was nothing otherwise nice about visiting the area, you probably should not have bothered looking in the first place. Personally I wouldn't care if a knucklehead found it after me, as it's likely that another knucklehead hid it, and there is probably some form of knucklehead code in the listing that I missed, and wouldn't want to know too much about anyway..

What annoys me is when some high number cacher DNFs a cache and cache owner archives it with a note "If Mr.Highnumbers didn't find it, it must be missing." I regularly DNF caches and log them as such, yet expect that the next log will be from a newb who post "Thanks". So why should a cache owner assume the cache must be missing?

However, what usually happens is that the next log is from Mr.Highnumbers who writes "Since an experienced cacher like tozainamboku couldn't find this, I took the opportunity to leave a replacement for the missing cache". :ph34r:

Thanks.

A DNF should not be like an open wound. You were there and looked, that's all. If there was nothing otherwise nice about visiting the area, you probably should not have bothered looking in the first place. Personally I wouldn't care if a knucklehead found it after me, as it's likely that another knucklehead hid it, and there is probably some form of knucklehead code in the listing that I missed, and wouldn't want to know too much about anyway..

Don't trivialize something just because others dislike DNFing more than you. I find a DNF to be something of a failure - minor as it may be. I still log them, but they are made all the more embarassing when someone with 20 finds comes by the next day and logs a find.

Thanks.

Don't trivialize something just because others dislike DNFing more than you. I find a DNF to be something of a failure - minor as it may be. I still log them, but they are made all the more embarassing when someone with 20 finds comes by the next day and logs a find.

Its an opinion, which is what forums are for. Equating a DNF to an open sore is a bit extreme and likely why people don't post their DNFs. Personally I don't really mind not finding one, as it deepens the mystery and makes any return visit more interesting. An easy find is often forgettable. Being embarrassed over a DNF is taking it way too seriously, in my opinion.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

My biggest embarrassment was hiking along a trail to a cache in a local park and I run into a family and the kids proudly announce to me that they are Geocaching and they just found their VERY first cache. I think to myself "Awesome, must be a nice easy find." and them I promptly DNF it. Ego = bruised.

I even convinced myself that they must have misunderstood the game and taken it with them. That is until I see more logs come in after mine and they're all finds too. I just missed it. Couple years later I finally went back and found it.

At least lie to me and say it took you hours! Lol!

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

I am so very bad at finding caches. I search for hours (usually my DNF is vague about how long I searched), and there are so many likely spots in that place, I don't have the time nor inclination to search them all. It's not inside that hollow tree, right? The one with about a thousand little crevices. Looks like it will collapse at any moment.

So I type my log:

"DNF. I searched for a long time. The cache page map icon seems to be in the middle of the street. I can't make sense of the cache title, description, nor the hint."

And three hours later, a cacher finds it and logs something like this:

"My two-year-old found this in ten seconds. If you read the previous logs, the exact location and hide style, and container design is obvious. It's so easy, it's practically impossible to not find it. I love the amazingly precise cache title, icon and the hint, although it makes the find so very easy. Man that was easy. I almost wish this were even a slight challenge. It couldn't have been easier if someone just handed me the cache. Thanks for the super easy cache that anybody can find so easily!"

Bwahahaha! YES, you understand me! :D :D :D I've read LOTS of logs like the one you posted.

... the next 10 yahoos say "Easy find", "Didn't take long", blah blah BLAH! Especially those with significantly fewer finds than me. Way to rub salt in my wound, people! At least lie to me and say it took you hours! Lol!

All too often the next "Find" after my DNF is a throwdown, even if it is not specifically stated. I have gone back to some DNFs and then found the throwdown, or a subsequent log will clarify the situation. Always makes me say, Well, gee, I could have done that.

Sometimes the "first finds" by n00bs is that they managed to use their Smartphone app to navigate to the coordinates and don't really know, or care, that they were supposed to find an actual object.

Do either of these scenarios make you feel any better?

Yes, actually they do! Thanks for that!!

My biggest embarrassment was hiking along a trail to a cache in a local park and I run into a family and the kids proudly announce to me that they are Geocaching and they just found their VERY first cache. I think to myself "Awesome, must be a nice easy find." and them I promptly DNF it. Ego = bruised.

I even convinced myself that they must have misunderstood the game and taken it with them. That is until I see more logs come in after mine and they're all finds too. I just missed it. Couple years later I finally went back and found it.

That is an AWESOME story!! You win! Hahaha!

I'm reminded of when I was in the middle of several tree limbs and I opened the foliage to call out to Mrs. Cat, "I can't find it"! Mrs. Cat looked over to me and saw the cache dangling on a line right next to my ear.

That happens quite a lot with micros... For me it is usually self found, but not until I've about given up and sometimes when I have.

Just a few weeks back I found one, fairly obvious as well. This was on my 3rd or 4th try, and since GZ was proving 'empty' I had broadened my search area quite a bit over several visits... just had made the decision to call it that day as well, and had knelt down to pack my backpack and have a snack. While closing it all up and securing all my junk, I simply raised up my eyes a bit and... there it was, right in front of me. Not even concealed much. Sure it was about 40 feet from where the GPS said, but it was almost as I had imagined it would be, hidden in plain sight with just a touch of cammo. Done and logged, and it was the original, since the log went all the way back to day one. Plus it was rated correctly, just a little b----r to find if you didn't relax a bit.

I find that is a commonality to hard to find caches, sit down and chill a bit, maybe have a snack and / or check your batteries in the GPS or anything but look for the cache. GZ often changes position, in all I had 3 distinct locations on this one, one was closer and that was the one where I found it. Little narrow valleys and trees will do it to you every time.

Now if I could just find the rest of the ones I couldn't on that trail... hmm.

Doug 7rxc

We have many DNFs, usually down to over thinking the issue. One cache that was almost a DNF had us circling a marked area about 6 feet around. Eventually, back to the car for a hot drink and a rethink of the clue. "Within 6 feet of the marking tape......" I put my hot chocolate down, rushed back, and there was the cache - attached to the tape! Summer is over, no more sitting by the lake reading...back to more caches and DNFs.

yeah "took my blind wheelchair-bound Granny with us today and she had so much fun finding this one! She has a low frustration level, so we were all glad she was able to find the cache within 2 minutes".

OK, that is what I feel like they're telling me sometimes. I have been known to haunt caches listings that I DNF'ed, feeling highly vindicated when the next few logs come in also DNFs but I'm not all this great at finding, so I see lots of the types of comments you mention, sigh.

What annoys me is when some high number cacher DNFs a cache and cache owner archives it with a note "If Mr.Highnumbers didn't find it, it must be missing." I regularly DNF caches and log them as such, yet expect that the next log will be from a newb who post "Thanks". So why should a cache owner assume the cache must be missing?

However, what usually happens is that the next log is from Mr.Highnumbers who writes "Since an experienced cacher like tozainamboku couldn't find this, I took the opportunity to leave a replacement for the missing cache". :ph34r:

That's why I try to disclaim when I run out of patience and just quit looking, versus when I look in every nook and cranny and find nothing.

One small thing I do is I try to limit my comments to my experience, and not make statements about a cache being "easy".

So I'll say something like:

"I found this quickly in the first place I looked"

and NOT

"This is an easy cache which anyone should be able to find".

Just because I found it quickly doesn't mean it is easy; I may have been lucky.

Agree with the original post, plus, I hate it when I can see by the cache logs that everyone before me has found the cache (and several said it was a PnG) and I'm the first DNF. That happened to me twice (out of 2 searches) on my last GC outing the other day.

The only consolation (I tell myself!) is that there were other DNFs before me, but they weren't brave enough to log 'em. ;) Who knows? That might be true.

The CO was nice enough to send me a message on the first one, and since it was so "easy" they even checked on it to post a cache note stating that it was still there. But I'm not going to go back for it, 'cause I'd just make all the same mistakes that I did when I searched for it the first time. And I'm not crazy -- you know, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I'd need some kind of hint before I went back for it. But it doesn't help that it already had a bunch of Found Its (by n00bs in some cases) and then I have to log a DNF.

The second one was new and only had 3 finds before my DNF. And, I tell myself, that's probably because I am unwilling to reach into an area where there are probably snakes snoozing to try to pull out a cache, whilst the others were either brave or didn't think of that!

I tell myself.

I'm reminded of when I was in the middle of several tree limbs and I opened the foliage to call out to Mrs. Cat, "I can't find it"! Mrs. Cat looked over to me and saw the cache dangling on a line right next to my ear.

That happens quite a lot with micros... For me it is usually self found, but not until I've about given up and sometimes when I have.

Just a few weeks back I found one, fairly obvious as well. This was on my 3rd or 4th try, and since GZ was proving 'empty' I had broadened my search area quite a bit over several visits... just had made the decision to call it that day as well, and had knelt down to pack my backpack and have a snack. While closing it all up and securing all my junk, I simply raised up my eyes a bit and... there it was, right in front of me. Not even concealed much. Sure it was about 40 feet from where the GPS said, but it was almost as I had imagined it would be, hidden in plain sight with just a touch of cammo. Done and logged, and it was the original, since the log went all the way back to day one. Plus it was rated correctly, just a little b----r to find if you didn't relax a bit.

I find that is a commonality to hard to find caches, sit down and chill a bit, maybe have a snack and / or check your batteries in the GPS or anything but look for the cache. GZ often changes position, in all I had 3 distinct locations on this one, one was closer and that was the one where I found it. Little narrow valleys and trees will do it to you every time.

Now if I could just find the rest of the ones I couldn't on that trail... hmm.

Doug 7rxc

Yup, yup, yup! Same thing happens (sometimes) when you come back to it another day. Just needed a break from looking I guess!! Sneaky little things.

We have many DNFs, usually down to over thinking the issue. One cache that was almost a DNF had us circling a marked area about 6 feet around. Eventually, back to the car for a hot drink and a rethink of the clue. "Within 6 feet of the marking tape......" I put my hot chocolate down, rushed back, and there was the cache - attached to the tape! Summer is over, no more sitting by the lake reading...back to more caches and DNFs.

Long live the DNF! I don't mind DNF'g too much, it's just the whole "easy to find" logs that kinda get me. GAH!

yeah "took my blind wheelchair-bound Granny with us today and she had so much fun finding this one! She has a low frustration level, so we were all glad she was able to find the cache within 2 minutes".

OK, that is what I feel like they're telling me sometimes. I have been known to haunt caches listings that I DNF'ed, feeling highly vindicated when the next few logs come in also DNFs but I'm not all this great at finding, so I see lots of the types of comments you mention, sigh.

ZACTLY! There are a lot of those blind, wheelchair-bound Grannys out there and they always find them right after I DON'T. Hahaha! :laughing:

That's why I try to disclaim when I run out of patience and just quit looking, versus when I look in every nook and cranny and find nothing.

I actually DO run out of patience VERY quickly. I think some of my finds are because my partner finds them after I gave up. :P :P :P

One small thing I do is I try to limit my comments to my experience, and not make statements about a cache being "easy".

So I'll say something like:

"I found this quickly in the first place I looked"

and NOT

"This is an easy cache which anyone should be able to find".

Just because I found it quickly doesn't mean it is easy; I may have been lucky.

That's purty good, but it would still sting my fragile, little ego a bit. But it's okay! This is a totally non-serious post. I don't cry about my DNFs. Much.

Agree with the original post, plus, I hate it when I can see by the cache logs that everyone before me has found the cache (and several said it was a PnG) and I'm the first DNF. That happened to me twice (out of 2 searches) on my last GC outing the other day.

The only consolation (I tell myself!) is that there were other DNFs before me, but they weren't brave enough to log 'em. ;) Who knows? That might be true.

The CO was nice enough to send me a message on the first one, and since it was so "easy" they even checked on it to post a cache note stating that it was still there. But I'm not going to go back for it, 'cause I'd just make all the same mistakes that I did when I searched for it the first time. And I'm not crazy -- you know, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I'd need some kind of hint before I went back for it. But it doesn't help that it already had a bunch of Found Its (by n00bs in some cases) and then I have to log a DNF.

The second one was new and only had 3 finds before my DNF. And, I tell myself, that's probably because I am unwilling to reach into an area where there are probably snakes snoozing to try to pull out a cache, whilst the others were either brave or didn't think of that!

I tell myself.

And I console myself with chocolate malts from a local eatery! NO LIE!!

Hmmm you suspect those are fake finds?

Ummm... you must be referring to someone else's post?? Or you missed the boat. I don't think they're fake finds IN THE LEAST. My point was, it's kinda funny and ego bruising to me that 150 people before me and after me say: easy find, my 2 yr old found it, my 3 legged dog found it, my blind Granny found it -- yet I can't find the darned thing. That's all. Why, are you logging fake finds?

Don't discount a family's ability to find a cache. I doubt that anyone can perform a more thorough search than a group of motivated children. They will check literally everywhere and not be hampered by our preconceptions.

People need to maintain a sense of humor. One of the amusing ironies of this game is that while in general practice and experience will make finding a cache faster and easier, there are many reasons (including luck!) that will cause someone to DNF an easy one, and find a tough one amazingly fast. The same principle applies to the n00b and the veteran. The veteran is *usually* faster, but at any given cache the n00b may put the veteran to shame.

:rolleyes:

Two thoughts. The n00bs had a group. A group search has much higher odds of success. Second, there's a chance the n00bs re-hid it "better" than the original.

But I'm not going to go back for it, 'cause I'd just make all the same mistakes that I did when I searched for it the first time. And I'm not crazy -- you know, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I'd need some kind of hint before I went back for it.

That's a good plan. I put it at the bottom of the stack (there's no cache shortage here) and wait for an epiphany. Or some previous finder will email me the info when I didn't ask. "Hey, dude, it's in a secret chamber beneath a fake tree stump, activated by a little control panel, and the combination is "pi" (3.141). It sure is fun to figure it all out on your own, feels like a great accomplishment. Good thing I explained it all to you so it won't be even a slight surprise now. Yay me!" :blink:

But usually when there are no DNFs, there seems to be an excess of "I've searched for this many times before, finally found it" logs. That would seem almost like the opposite of "easy". But what ya gonna do. :laughing:

Edited by kunarion

I claim there's no difference: "I looked in every nook and cranny" really means "I ran out of patience trying to figure out where there are more nooks and crannies." When I think it's important, I give the time I searched, since that gives someone familiar with the area an idea how much effort I put into it, while talking about my patience tells them nothing unless they know how much patience I have.

Yeah, I do that, particularly when it was DNFed recently. But on the other hand, I have a friend that delights in talking about how easy it was (whether it was or not) when the last find was a DNF, particularly when it was a DNF by one of his friends. Oddly, imagining that kind of good natured ribbing makes it easier to keep from being annoyed when I encounter the more general case discussed in the OP.

This is a tough call. Most people i'm sure don't want to hurt your feelings. However, they want to accurately report their experience - and maybe even celebrate their good fortune.

I remember once having exceptionally good luck finding a cache. Looking at a recent post where a veteran said he struggled, I felt I needed to tone down my celebration. But really, I shouldn't have. The next five times i'm sure he found a cache faster than me. It's not a competitive game.

I claim there's no difference: "I looked in every nook and cranny" really means "I ran out of patience trying to figure out where there are more nooks and crannies." When I think it's important, I give the time I searched, since that gives someone familiar with the area an idea how much effort I put into it, while talking about my patience tells them nothing unless they know how much patience I have.

Not everyone records the searching time and also the time spent at the location might include a lot of waiting times if lots of people are around.

It is not uncommon that I write something like "I lost the motivation to continue searching for this cache quite soon and left." I would not be able to provide the time I spent at the location and it also plays no real role. I almost never look at every possible hideout location - the cases where when this happens are very rare exceptions. If I end up in a dirty urban environment, it can well be that I decide to leave after inspecting a single location and maybe 1 minute of time. I would write I left soon, but would not provide an exact amount of time. That's not my job. Did not find just means that I did not find the cache, nothing more.

Sometimes, one's geosenses work. Other times they don't. A DNF is no big deal. On average, one out of every eleven cache hunts ends in a DNF for me, so I have hundreds of documented unsucessful hunts. I put watches on my DNFed caches and more the half of the caches turned out to be missing, so my DNF provided an important signal for the Cache Owner that something may be amiss.

For what it's worth, I don't split hairs regarding when I log a DNF and when I don't. If I turned on the GPS and followed it to ground zero, that's part of the cache history and it should be recorded for the Cache Owner's and others' benefit.