premium only caches

This is also true of multis, puzzles, and letterbox caches where you don't know the final coordinates. The solution is to check with the reviewer to make sure a spot is okay before you place the cache.

Good point, I hadn't thought about those. I haven't found any multi's yet, but have a couple that I'm planning to work on soon (for the August challenge). I guess multi's are less common, so chances of overlapping might be a bit smaller.

This is also true of multis, puzzles, and letterbox caches where you don't know the final coordinates. The solution is to check with the reviewer to make sure a spot is okay before you place the cache.

Good point, I hadn't thought about those. I haven't found any multi's yet, but have a couple that I'm planning to work on soon (for the August challenge). I guess multi's are less common, so chances of overlapping might be a bit smaller.

It depends on where you are. Puzzles and multis are more common than PMOs around here.

Throw in endless micros and nanos and the fact it's been a while since you could be sure a cache would take you to an interesting area and I'd look to jump ship.

If you dislike micros, go after the hiders. Groundspeak has nothing to do with what size of a container people use for their hides. As far as it goes, though, size does not dictate cache quality.

Sure, I've found micros cleverly hidden and even enjoyed the odd nano although generally I found nanos to be dull.

Given the complains in the forum about the free intro app and the effect is it believed to have on "beginner caches" and it's easy to see why people are more inclined to chuck out a film pot, than take time and effort to put out a carefully crafted cache only to have it removed by a new unvalidated user who thought the idea was to take the cache away and hide it somewhere else.

Throw in endless micros and nanos and the fact it's been a while since you could be sure a cache would take you to an interesting area and I'd look to jump ship.

If you dislike micros, go after the hiders. Groundspeak has nothing to do with what size of a container people use for their hides.

Although at the end of the day it's the hider that determines the size of the container that they put out Groundspeak *did* contribute to the proliferation of micros. When they removed that "please don't hide a cache every 600 feet" and opened up the flood gate to power trails, numbers trails and "series" of 100+ caches it just wasn't economically practical for a person or even a small team to hide several hundred regular or even small containers. No, Groundspeak isn't solely to blame either, but like just about every other trend in the way the game is played, there may be several contributing factors.

As far as it goes, though, size does not dictate cache quality.

Perhaps not in all cases, but it's generally a pretty strong indicator. When one is able to find a high quality cache using a micro or nano, I would contend that it's much more the exception than the rule.

If you dislike micros, go after the hiders. Groundspeak has nothing to do with what size of a container people use for their hides.

Although at the end of the day it's the hider that determines the size of the container that they put out Groundspeak *did* contribute to the proliferation of micros. When they removed that "please don't hide a cache every 600 feet" and opened up the flood gate to power trails, numbers trails and "series" of 100+ caches it just wasn't economically practical for a person or even a small team to hide several hundred regular or even small containers. No, Groundspeak isn't solely to blame either, but like just about every other trend in the way the game is played, there may be several contributing factors.

As far as it goes, though, size does not dictate cache quality.

Perhaps not in all cases, but it's generally a pretty strong indicator. When one is able to find a high quality cache using a micro or nano, I would contend that it's much more the exception than the rule.

+1

I hate them because i dont think you should pay for them and i already paid 10 bucks for an app <_<

know what I hate? I hate freeloaders!! deadbeats!!!! the free crap army!!!! if you can't afford to pay the price for a years membership(lord it's a huge sum of $30) you more than likely can't afford to be geocaching period!!!

I hate them because i dont think you should pay for them and i already paid 10 bucks for an app <_<

know what I hate? I hate freeloaders!! deadbeats!!!! the free crap army!!!! if you can't afford to pay the price for a years membership(lord it's a huge sum of $30) you more than likely can't afford to be geocaching period!!!

Not to single anyone out, like Roman! for example, but this is a textbook example of where some people might get their "PMO caches are elitist" attitude from. :)

Or maybe you're just a casual geocacher who has no need for the services that a premium membership buys.

Edited by narcissa

Not to single anyone out, like Roman! for example, but this is a textbook example of where some people might get their "PMO caches are elitist" attitude from. :)

Not quite sure what you are saying but I believe there should be perks for those that pay.

I'll shop in a higher priced grocery stores in exchange for shorter line ups.

I'll pay for full service gas if it's raining or really cold.

I'll pay for valet parking if I'm dressed up and don't want to walk in those clothes.

Ill pay for premium membership if it'll save me time and make geocaching easier.

That's how I choose to spend my money, doesn't make me elitist, it just good value to me.

I can not afford first class when I fly but I am not angry at the airline or those in first class.

I can not afford my dream car but I do not hate the manufacturer or those that can.

I can not afford a super model wife but I still like super models and am jealous of thier husbands.

Life's not fair or I'd be in Hawaii sitting in a hot tub with my super model wife waiting for my Lamborghini to be deatailed.

Thinking someone is elitist because the spent $30 for a year of premium membership and decided to place a PMO cache (which anyone still can find and log) is plain stupid.

Edited by Roman!

I think premium membership should be lowered to a maximum of 8 cents / day so that everybody, regardless of income level or hair color, can feel included.

That sounds much more reasonable and fair...a substantial savings of 80¢ per year (only 72¢ in a leap year, though...) :D

Would be a pain having to renew your membership every day, though.... :blink:

Well worth reading the whole thread before making comments...

Having started the thread, the OP has read the comments posted, none of which called him/her names, but explained why caches were made PMO.

OP then posted back.

I keep seeing more and more newbies logging TFTC, and not hiding the cache back properly. If they start invading my caching areas, I will start making my caches Premium Only. But I have a lot of hiking caches and mystery caches, which the I-Phone kids do not go looking for.

I am a newbie and I used to post TFTC logs because I saw others doing it, but now I am a CO and it is very annoying to get get TFTC or similar logs when I go through all the work to hide mine. Now I try to write more detailed logs and I understand PMO caches. Thank you guys for the responses

Be nice, win 'em round.

Slate 'em... Watch them trash the game!

Well worth reading the whole thread before making comments...

Having started the thread, the OP has read the comments posted, none of which called him/her names, but explained why caches were made PMO.

OP then posted back.

I keep seeing more and more newbies logging TFTC, and not hiding the cache back properly. If they start invading my caching areas, I will start making my caches Premium Only. But I have a lot of hiking caches and mystery caches, which the I-Phone kids do not go looking for.

I am a newbie and I used to post TFTC logs because I saw others doing it, but now I am a CO and it is very annoying to get get TFTC or similar logs when I go through all the work to hide mine. Now I try to write more detailed logs and I understand PMO caches. Thank you guys for the responses

Be nice, win 'em round.

Slate 'em... Watch them trash the game!

I'm not responding to Roman directly, but that's what I mean above, the very last two lines quoted. Nobody called the friggin' guy names until about the 20th post. And name calling posts (freeloader, cheapskate, etc..) to the OP of a "why are there PMO caches? is as inevitable as death and taxes. Then again, the OP of this particular thread was a little more abrasive than many of them, with him saying he hates them.

And also, responding to Roman without quoting him, No one, and I mean no one, thinks someone is elitist because they spend $30 and can create Pocket Queries and bookmark lists. But create caches that they can't see or find, and you're going to get these threads about 15 times a year.

The backdoor method for logging, by the way, is almost unknown of outside these forums, or by word of mouth from people who heard about it here. Can anyone show me where it's documented somewhere on Geoccaching.com? Or even on Joe Blow's Geocaching blog, for that matter? :P And of course to top that off, there was a major incident in Europe within the last 2 years or so where A PMO owner deleted the logs of a basic member, and Groundspeak sided with the PMO owner. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

You don't have to pay for Premium Only caches .. you do have to pay for the membership that gives you (among other things) the privilege of seeing the PMO caches.

Sorry you got taken with the overpriced $10.00 app, but many of the PMO caches are BECAUSE of the looseness of the app requirements to hunt for caches, like not having to even activate the email used to register the app, etc.

Some hiders think folks should at least be required to identify themselves to that minor extent before being allowed to hunt for the caches they have spent $ and time to create.

You don't have to pay for Premium Only caches .. you do have to pay for the membership that gives you (among other things) the privilege of seeing the PMO caches.

Sorry you got taken with the overpriced $10.00 app, but many of the PMO caches are BECAUSE of the looseness of the app requirements to hunt for caches, like not having to even activate the email used to register the app, etc.

Some hiders think folks should at least be required to identify themselves to that minor extent before being allowed to hunt for the caches they have spent $ and time to create.

Overpriced? I paid $10 for the app 3 years ago and since then I have used it at least 1000 times, that's $.01 per use and I still have it.

Last night I spent $15 on beer and it's all gone.

Overpriced? I paid $10 for the app 3 years ago and since then I have used it at least 1000 times, that's $.01 per use and I still have it.

Last night I spent $15 on beer and it's all gone.

There are certain other apps (that are not to be named here) that are significantly cheaper...free, and they are honestly a much more fair deal in my opinion...not that I use it them or anything...ph34r.gif

Edited by ADKer

I'm curious about something.... Do any of the non-Groundspeak apps allow nonPremium members to view PMO caches?

I don't think so. :unsure: I hope not, cause I don't want non-premium viewing my listings. :anibad: There are free geocache listing services, I paid to list mine here. :) I do use a free non-gc.com app tho.. :ph34r:

Well, I just checked, and the particular non-gc.com app that we may or may not be talking about does NOT show PMO caches to regular members.