weather

Now that spring iS upon us, and the snow is starting to melt, the weather has shifted from snow to rain. Yesterday Today and Tomorrows forecast calls for rain where I live . I plan on going out there and geocaching tomorrow in the rain . Are there any other geocachers who will cache in the rain and is it fun to you ? Im not going to let the rain stop me from garbing some caches.

I cache in the rain all the time. If it's pouring, I put my smartphone in a ziploc bag and wear a hat and rain pants.

I'm always amazed how many people I meet on the trails when it's pouring buckets.

All weather caching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2cO-vJ4fBU&feature=youtu.be/

That's REAL rain! I was thinking something a little lighter. Looks like a great time though!

When caching by car I don't mind strong rain. Hey, we spent a short week on the Faroe Islands and it was pouring down every day so much that our clothes had no chance to dry.

The last few years we didn't have a car and looked more at the weather. As the forecast was quite unreliable we got soaked regularly, but generally a light drizzle never stopped us from cycling out to a few caches.

It all depends - I know, really specific!!

If it has been raining for days and I want to just get out of the house for an hour, I will do some close-by, urban, cache-n-dashes in the rain.

Sometimes I will want to do a series of caches 50+ miles away from home and plan on a Saturday or Sunday to do it. When I do these types of caches, it is to explore an area I am unfamiliar with and will make a day of it. Go out for breakfast, hit a convenience store for some coffee and snacks (and AA batteries if my warehouse club stockpile is exhausted), and head out. I have found my best stories, most unusual occurrences, and most memorable people met along the way during rain are the best!

ETA: I live in in CO and cache in the Rockies. While a cache series may state '50 miles' as the crow flies, it may be 80+ miles as the roads go. Switch-back curves, steep grades, high-altitude,and meeting people along the way that are literally from across the US and globe (we are popular for tourism), makes my '50 miles from home' statement a bit of an understatement.

Edited by MI_CO

I don't mind caching in the rain. I like rain, so anything outside in the rain is fine by me.

The only issue I have with rainy caching is signing the log. You have to protect the paper and the container. Sometimes ducking under cover works, or bending over everything and shielding it with your body. I don't use umbrellas in general, but they're great at protecting caches.

My wife and I cached yesterday in the rain. We had 8 finds and 4 DNFs. We searched for lonely caches so I expected alot of DNFs. It was crazy insane but crazy fun as well. I trekked across fields that were freshly tilled and my feet sunk in a good 6 inches. Bushwhacked through swampy water and hard driving rain at times to make another find. My shoes/clothes were an unmitigated disaster when I got home :blink:

But in the end, I got to spend some time with the Mrs and fill in 5 NJ Delorme pages. It's all good! B)

I found about 40 this past weekend, most in the rain. I was visiting the in-laws and have to get out of the house for a few hours when I am there. Fortunately there were plenty of park n grabs nearby. But the weekend before I did a 6+ mile hike with friends and dogs and we got rained on steadily for the last 2 miles. As long as it' warm enough I don't mind getting wet. I agree it makes logging a bit challenging, so I don't always unroll it all the way and just sign on the first available white space to protect it.

As the saying goes, there is no such thing as bad weather, only inappropriate clothing.

I remember this day because it was October, the temps were in the 30's and I was still wearing shorts, being that I tend to fight wearing long pants unless necessary well into December. As I recall things, this was our first cache in a 5 mile RT hike and by the end of the day the rain overwhelmed our rain gear and we were soaked to the skin and probably nearing hypothermia by the time we got back to the car. As a disclaimer we did have, as always,have dry clothing in our packs and a waterproof bivy shelter. So if things got really bad we would have probably been safe. Then again when you have hypothermia one of the first things to go is your judgment, which is probably why we continued to the next cache.

99a287a3-0a89-4629-a9bc-0f62712e44dd.jpg

Edited by briansnat

A group of us went caching in the mountains a couple years ago. The hike was about eight miles long, and took us most of the day. A rainstorm came through, and at one point we were very nervous because the thunder and lightning was almost simultaneous. We all lived through it, though. ;)

f31f5747-8f06-44ca-afb2-8c8fc157e82b.jpg

58aec064-b0c8-440e-ada6-87dcfc947c65.jpg

c205266a-7c8d-4a40-8888-36c93f537314.jpg

Funny you should mention it: I'm reading this during lunch because I walked out to my car and decided against going anywhere because it was raining. Normally I don't pay any attention to the rain, but living here in the sunny San Francisco Bay area, I can afford to be finicky if I feel like it, since in most cases I'll get better weather tomorrow. When I was doing at least a cache a day for a year, I always just went anyway and am no worse for wear. I can't say I go out of my way to cache in the rain, though, and I definitely don't even suggest such a thing if my lovely assistant would be coming with me.

A group of us went caching in the mountains a couple years ago. The hike was about eight miles long, and took us most of the day. A rainstorm came through, and at one point we were very nervous because the thunder and lightning was almost simultaneous. We all lived through it, though. ;)

It even inspired an impromptu sing-along from the Sound Of Music - "Raindrop on roses..." That was a fun trip.

I've always said that if you don't learn to cache (or whatever activity you are discussing) in the rain, you don't cache in Washington (i.e.. The Great Pacific NorthWet).

OTH, it's always easier to cache in the rain than it is to think about caching in the rain. If I'm out there and it starts, I throw on the rain jacket. But when I'm inside, nice and warm, it's hard to get the enthusiasm up to go out into the cold and wet.

It even inspired an impromptu sing-along from the Sound Of Music - "Raindrop on roses..." That was a fun trip.

I've always said that if you don't learn to cache (or whatever activity you are discussing) in the rain, you don't cache in Washington (i.e.. The Great Pacific NorthWet).

OTH, it's always easier to cache in the rain than it is to think about caching in the rain. If I'm out there and it starts, I throw on the rain jacket. But when I'm inside, nice and warm, it's hard to get the enthusiasm up to go out into the cold and wet.

I'd forgotten about singing A Few of My Favorite Things! That was fun.

Being on the dry side of the state, I have to work harder to cache in the rain. I still manage to do it a fair amount, partly because it rains most over here in the spring and early summer. That's when I like to get out and hike a lot, because it's wonderful weather! Oh, and partly because I like the rain. ;)