Confused Newbie

Petie-Pie

morning folks! i am new to the geocaching site and have been wanting to do this for some time! i have YET to purchase a GPS and i don't know what to get? i know i found something on this site that is suppose to help me do this, and i know that a lot has to do with preference .. BUT still confused ...

i went to best buy to actually look at some geocaching GPSs and found i wasn't really excited about them. the screens are really pretty small. so my questions are:

1. can a GPS with the larger screens (they all seem to indicate for traffic GPSs) be used for geocaching?

2. where does one even go to look at a variety of brands besides best buy?

so confused but would sure like to do this!! your help is SO appreciated!!

diane

You can talk with 5 different cachers and get 10 different answers. It comes down to personal preference, as you mentioned. Personally, I use a Garmin for the followng reasons:

1. Reliable customer support

2. Paperless caching features

3. Accepts memory card for maps and caches.

I'm sure others will chime in soon explaining why Garmin is a poor choice and their selected GPS is superior. But I got here first!!!

Have you read the stickie at the top of the page on selecting a GPS?

Also, if you do opt for Garmin, their website has a unit selection tool that's pretty cool.

Edited by ras_oscar

morning folks! i am new to the geocaching site and have been wanting to do this for some time! i have YET to purchase a GPS and i don't know what to get? i know i found something on this site that is suppose to help me do this, and i know that a lot has to do with preference .. BUT still confused ...

i went to best buy to actually look at some geocaching GPSs and found i wasn't really excited about them. the screens are really pretty small. so my questions are:

1. can a GPS with the larger screens (they all seem to indicate for traffic GPSs) be used for geocaching?

diane

First question: Do you own a smartphone? As a dedicated GPS is okay but not great.

With a GPS, unless you spend hundreds on a top of the range then its more hassle than fun to go Caching (IMO).

I personally would not want to go Geocaching with everything either hand written or printed out on paper (the old fashioned way).

The most user friendly and most accurate way of Geocaching is to get the Official Geocaching App and use your smartphone.

And here are some of my many reasons why...

You get high definition "Google Maps" images and you have access to:

* The description.

* The hint.

* Previous finders logs.

* Previous finders photos.

* You can log your find on the spot.

* You can search for specific Caches.

* You can mark waypoints quick and easily.

* You can write notes and hints for your own personal use.

* You can use your phones camera to take your own photos.

Makes geocaching much more fun when you aren't having to shuffle papers and mess about with multiple things just to find a Cache.

Also as I mentioned before, a smartphone is very accurate as it not only uses the GPS signal, but can also your mobile network signal.

The worst accuracy out of the 3 main smartphones (iPhone, Windows Phone and Android) is the iPhone and that's accurate to 5 metres from GZ.

So as you can see, within 5 metres accuracy is pretty dadgum good and thats the worst performer.

A lot of people will join this and make it a debate about Smartphone vs Handheld GPS, but I am just giving my honest opinion.

I am a new Cacher (started in April 2013) and I have found almost 170 caches and everyone was with my Samsung Windows Phone Smartphone.

I have been out with iPhone users, Android users and also GPS users with Garmin Etrex, Garmin Oregon and Megellan devices.

And even if you dont have a smartphone, its still cheaper to buy one than the top of the range handheld GPS device!

Edited by MRB3N

If you want a bigger screen then I think the Garmin Montana range is one of the biggest among the handheld GPSs. Handheld GPSs tend to be smaller than car sat-navs because they're designed to be carried in the hand/pocket not sat on the dash, but the Montana is quite large.

Some car sat-navs can be used for geocaching but they're not designed for it so it will always be a compromise on other features; but not all can, so you need to make %100 sure before choosing one of these.

As for where's the best place to see/try some, look on geocaching.com to see if there are any events you can get to, there are bound to be a bunch of cachers there who will have their GPSs and will be happy to tell you why their model is the best one ;-)

Automotive units can be used, but there are plenty of drawbacks to using one. Their battery life sucks and most cannot be replaced. They aren't made to be dropped or rained on (for the most part). They are pretty bulky to carry around in your hands -- making them more susceptible to being dropped. Think of it as using a Harley-Davidson ElectraGlide for dirt riding. It'll work, but....

Best to look at each manufacture's website. The latest and greatest are always displayed there along with specs and other info.

Garmin -- many different models, under handhelds.

Magellan -- under outdoor.

Delorme -- under Earthmate GPS.

All with the exception of Delorme offer many different models. Low-end units work as well as higher-end units... but higher-end units (more cost), usually do everything aside from buttering your toast. Many of them need better mapping, which is available (Garmin "T" models come with better mapping -- but the cost is the same, buy a non-"T" and buy the maps. six vs. half-dozen)

Delorme comes with one of the best mapping programs out there (they are primarily map-makers, anyway).

Budget the amount you want to spend, then search the specs on each unit, eliminating those that do not have what you feel you need.

Maps, though not an absolute necessity, sure make things easier.

Note: Base maps are just that... mostly just (major highways) and little else.

Expandable memory (SD or microSD) is a real plus, especially if you want good maps.

Electronic compass (3-axis) makes a unit cost more. They need to be calibrated occasionally. Non-electronic compass' need no calibration, but they require you to be moving in order to properly function.

Your other choices are Touch-Screen or buttons. Each type has its following... personal preference.

I have an 10" screen Android Tablet that has built-in GPS. There are also big iPads. Load a GPS App, and with a data connection, you can find some caches that aren't super adventurous. A tablet is limited by screen glare, accuracy (they're designed for driving directions, not pinpointing a cache spot), and battery life. You'd need a waterproof case if wandering off trail. Much of that also applies to a car GPSr.

You can do many urban caches using a connected laptop even without GPS, if you can locate a cache just from a map.

Edited by kunarion

The person talking about the cell phone apps is half right. While it is accurate and works fine, I highly doubt you're going to do all your caching in an urban setting. Take a couple steps into the woods, and your 5m accuracy will change to 10m accuracy. A few more steps and you're at 20m accuracy. The trees block your signal slightly, and it'll just frustrate you. I use my iPhone for urban caching, and it's awesome. I'd never use it again in the woods, however. You also wont be able to place geocaches with the use of a cell phone because it's just not accurate enough.

For non urban caching and placing caches, I use a Magellan Explorist GC edition. It isn't anything amazing. It takes some fiddling around to get used to it, but it gets the job done. Like most GPS systems now, you plug it into your computer, choose which one you're using on the geocaching website, and it'll download a driver so that you can just download geocaches onto the device and nothave to enter the coordinates individually. Really useful feature that most handheld gps systems have. Sometimes the Magellan GC isn't quite as accurate as I'd like, but I've come to expect that type of thing while caching. It's a pretty cheap device (I paid $125) and it's good for beginners. Waterproof as well, which I know saved me a couple times.

I'm not saying go with what I tell you, I just wanted to give a cheap and slightly reliable one that's on the market. The app works, but it's not enough.

OK I'll bite, because I think some of this could be very misleading for a newbie

The best (and most accurate) way of Geocaching is to get the Official Geocaching App and use your smartphone.

There are many phone apps available, and if you're going this route I would recommend you seek further advice as many people don't rate the official one very highly.

You get high definition "Google Maps" images and you have access to:

* The description.

* The hint.

* Previous finders logs.

* Previous finders photos.

* You can log your find on the spot.

* You can search for specific Caches.

* You can mark waypoints quick and easily.

* You can write notes and hints for your own personal use.

* You can use your phones camera to take your own photos.

Makes geocaching much more fun when you aren't having to shuffle papers and mess about with multiple things just to find a Cache.

A Garmin Etrex 20 (£100 in the UK, so I would expect you could get it for about $100 over the pond), is nowhere near top of the range and will give you all of the pointe not greyed out (maps won't be google maps but it can display much better maps than google maps), there's absolutely no need to take paper out on the trail.

Also as I mentioned before, a smartphone is very accurate as it not only uses the GPS signal, but can also your mobile network signal.

Smartphone GPSs are very good these days but the network signal does nothing to improve the accuracy of a phone GPS, so don't be mislead into thinking that a phone GPS will be better than a dedicated GPS because of this - it won't.

Of course if you already have a smartphone it's a cheap, quick & easy way to get started. The main disadvantages of the phone are it's fragility, susceptibility to water, and battery life.

Of course if you already have a smartphone it's a cheap, quick & easy way to get started. The main disadvantages of the phone are it's fragility, susceptibility to water, and battery life.

Battery life being the worst of the problems. Caching for an hour will leave you with half your battery gone if you're lucky. I have to drive around with mine plugged in. Also, most handhelds use maps that are better than google maps.

Here's a review for the Explorist i spoke about. The guy doesn't know much about geocaching, and while it was $200 back in 2010, I paid $125 for it and have seen it cheaper since then.

It's not spectacular, but for a newbie, it'll work just fine and allow you to get the hang of things.

Edit: The guy in the video uses a premium cache only in the demonstration and claims that you need to be a premium member to use the GPS. Not true. He probably should have done research before reviewing.

Edited by Dogmeat101

diane

There's a couple of things you could tell us that might help with giving you help:

1.) where are you located? USA, Canada, UK, Europe?

2.) What would your price range/budget be for a handheld gps?

3.) To look for a handheld "trail" gps, go to an outdoors store. Best Buy and that ilk are not the place to look.

If you want to have a look at the various makes and models, go to GPSCity:

http://www.gpscity.ca/outdoor-gps even if you're not Canadian.

Launching from the geocaching.com page, under the "Shop" tab:

Guide to Buying a GPS Device

http://www.geocaching.com/about/buying.aspx

B.

wow ... what quick responses :D you are all so kind!

RAS OSCAR: i too am favoring the Garmin ... which one do you prefer?

oh also folks, yes i do have a smartphone and a tablet but prefer not to use them ...

i'm at work, and still reading these .. i will catch up with them all eventually ...

Edited by Petie-Pie

diane

Since you are new I would just try one of the free android apps and see if it something you want to continue doing. You can hide a cache accurately with a cell phone, you just need to have an app that averages the coordinates.

Edited by NotreDameFan11

1. I use a Samsung tablet with GDAK installed in it. Just update my GSAK database and copy the .db file (inside Data folder) to my tablet's memory card. Open GDAK, point to the folder where the file is and there you go, GSAK on the move with all the stuff you'll need, from Grabbed Images (copying that folder also of course) to spoilers, corrected coordinates, notes, whatever... :)

It doesn't have the precision of a handheld device but it sure holds a lot more data. Both would be perfect, even a Etrex H since you have all the info on a tablet (maybe a 7" one). If you're buying a tablet just for geocaching forget it, buy a Oregon/Dakota/Montana device and you'll have all that you need.

@pup patrol: i AM in the U.S. (O-H-I-O) .. at present i do not have a price range/budget - looking for one that has a larger screen, easy to work and understand, and color is not relevant (hahaha).. but saying this, i also don't want to spend 4 or 500 or more for one either ... by outdoor store are you meaning like gander mountain or cabela's or fin feather and fur???

The most user friendly and most accurate way of Geocaching is to get the Official Geocaching App and use your smartphone.

The official geocaching app is not reliable, at least not on my phone. When it does work, it can find simple traditional caches out in the open. It's pretty straight forward in this case. For anything else, a dedicated gpsr works better for me. That being said, i might see it differently if i had started caching with a phone and didn't know any better.

Some issues with cellphones:

1. Most of our phones are not very water resisistant. They are also not as sturdy as a dedicated gpsr. You need to protect them when you're out using them to find caches.

2. Most of them have mediocre satellite reception. Again, they work ok in the open, but get some tree cover overhead and the accuracy goes away pretty quickly.

3. Battery life is not good on just about all phones when used with the app.

4. You will use data so you need to make sure you have a phone plan that this isn't an issue with.

Most dedicated handheld gpsrs are just the opposite of the above.

@pup patrol: i AM in the U.S. (O-H-I-O) .. at present i do not have a price range/budget - looking for one that has a larger screen, easy to work and understand, and color is not relevant (hahaha).. but saying this, i also don't want to spend 4 or 500 or more for one either ... by outdoor store are you meaning like gander mountain or cabela's or fin feather and fur???

Gander Mountain, Cabelas, Academy, and Bass Pro all have decent selections. Any of these might be a place to start.

As someone suggested above,, i'd see if there were any geocaching events being held near you. The folks that come to them usually have their units and i would bet, be happy to let you see how they work. You can get all kinds of good information talking to other cachers in person. And i hate to take away business from the local stores but, if you do decide on one, then you can always look online to buy.

The official geocaching app is not reliable, at least not on my phone. When it does work, it can find simple traditional caches out in the open. It's pretty straight forward in this case. For anything else, a dedicated gpsr works better for me. That being said, i might see it differently if i had started caching with a phone and didn't know any better.

Some issues with cellphones:

1. Most of our phones are not very water resisistant. They are also not as sturdy as a dedicated gpsr. You need to protect them when you're out using them to find caches.

2. Most of them have mediocre satellite reception. Again, they work ok in the open, but get some tree cover overhead and the accuracy goes away pretty quickly.

3. Battery life is not good on just about all phones when used with the app.

4. You will use data so you need to make sure you have a phone plan that this isn't an issue with.

Most dedicated handheld gpsrs are just the opposite of the above.

1. - Not true: You can buy protective cases for a mobile phone which are more than adequate for less than £1!

Although if you want to you can actually get special cases with are 100% water and shock proof if you're that paranoid.

Also, answer this... If a handheld GPS is so rugged, why do the companies sell protective cases for them in their accessories store?

Yeah exactly. You drop it, it smashes. So a handheld GPS will need a case.

And don't even try to make out its to avoid scratches because that's bull-whistle.

Check eBay and see how many of these so called "rugged, outdoor" GPS systems are smashed on eBay.

And there are just as many which have water damage. That's odd... Thought they were waterproof?

I have dropped my Samsung down the stairs and out on the trail countless times without issue.

It has a 99p rubber case on it and a 99p screen protector film. Job done.

2. - Not true: Satellite reception is perfection and is a lot more accurate than 90% of handheld GPS devices.

Best GPS I have heard of has within 3 meters accuracy and that costs a fortune!!!

My Samsung is within a metre and my Nokia was within 1 to 2 metres. An iPhone is within 5 metres.

3. - Not true: I can run the app on my phone for an entire day's Caching of 10 hours+ and I barely reach 25% battery remaining.

Also for a fiver you can buy a backup battery or usb charge device for another full charge. So that's a full 24 hours Caching at least.

4. - Not true: You can use your smartphone offline so you dont have to use any data whatsoever.

You can save Caches, photos, logs, everything to work offline. Ive done it and its flawless.

It's always the same story with handheld GPS users.

They have to back up their devices as theyve wasted all their money on them.:rolleyes:

Basically if you want to go and waste £100, £200 or even £500 on a Garmin system then go ahead.

But any smartphone is highly likely to beat you on accurancy and will always win on userbility hands down.

You know how your phone works inside out right? Well there you go.

Not to mention faster processor, more memory and better high definnition maps than the GPS.

With Google Maps, if you zoom in, its so detailed you can pick out a person walking on the street. Can a GPS device do that?

Oh and if your phone is a Windows Phone the Official App is 100% FREE.

Although even on iPhone and Android its only £7.

Far cheaper than those hundreds of £'s mentioned earlier for a GPS.

Edited by MRB3N

Multiple biased paragraphs told by a user who stated they are new and also stated that they don't use a handheld GPS.

My $125 GPS is water proof, and I've proven that by accidentally dropping it into a river. A rocky river. It still works perfectly even though it was washed down the river hitting rocks along the way. I didn't have to buy a $100 case to do with the $200 phone and $50 phone bill every month (since we're talking prices) and the battery life lasts for days rather than one day after buying another battery. The signal is consistent no matter where you go with my GPS whether it be on a busy street or if it's in the woods in the middle of nowhere. You're not going to get that with any phone. Out of the 166 caches found, how many of them were in the woods? And I'm not talking along a treeline, I mean actually in the woods. You're not going to have an easy time finding it with a cell phone. I'm sorry, but they just aren't accurate. I use my iPhone consistently, but I'm not going to lie to people and tell them it works absolutely everywhere. If you're caching in the woods, you need a GPS. As your phone signal goes down, your accuracy follows. That's nothing but common sense.

And I'll bite and answer your question even though it's painfully obvious. Why do companies sell cases for their rugged GPS? Because people will buy them whether they're useful or not. The exact same reason any item can come with accessories.

And lastly, as the OP has stated, they would prefer not to use their phone for geocaching. Which is a great idea if you plan on looking for geocaches other than film canisters magnetized to a guard rail.

The GPS accuracy of a decent phone and a handheld GPS these days are probably close enough that you really would have to do proper statistical testing to draw any conclusion as to the relative accuracy.

This shows you're just making up numbers with no evidence:

Satellite reception is perfection and is a lot more accurate than 90% of handheld GPS devices.

This shows that you don't know what the accuracy reading means, and that your Samsung is lying when it reports 1m.

My Samsung is within a metre and my Nokia was within 1 to 2 metres. An iPhone is within 5 metres.

2. - Not true: Satellite reception is perfection and is a lot more accurate than 90% of handheld GPS devices.

Best GPS I have heard of has within 3 meters accuracy and that costs a fortune!!!

If that were an accurate statement, EVERY Registered Public Surveyor would sell their $thousands worth of equipment and buy cell phones. The military (you know the ones who own the satellites) would never allow civilians to have that type of accuracy. 10 meters is as good as it gets.

I have yet to see a cell phone that more accurate than my 6 year old Magellan 300 GPSr.

It's always the same story with handheld GPS users.

They have to back up their devices as theyve wasted all their money on them.:rolleyes:

Basically if you want to go and waste £100, £200 or even £500 on a Garmin system then go ahead.

But any smartphone is highly likely to beat you on accurancy and will always win on userbility hands down.

You know how your phone works inside out right? Well there you go.

Not to mention faster processor, more memory and better high definnition maps than the GPS.

With Google Maps, if you zoom in, its so detailed you can pick out a person walking on the street. Can a GPS device do that?

Oh and if your phone is a Windows Phone the Official App is 100% FREE.

Although even on iPhone and Android its only £7.

Far cheaper than those hundreds of £'s mentioned earlier for a GPS.[/size]

Having cached with both my iPhone and a dedicated receiver, I have perspective from both sides. Here's my opinion:

My phone is fine if I want to do basic urban caching.

However, it is NOT...

- ...more accurate than my handheld. My Oregon 450 beats my iPhone 5 hands down under tough conditions such as tree cover.

- ...more rugged than my handheld. My GPRs is water resistance whereas the phone does not even come close in that regard. And, while I have broken a number of phones over the years I have never broken a GPSr.

- ...capable of lasting as long in terms of battery life. There is a certain comfort factor in being able to throw a cheap pair of AAs in the backpack and knowing I have battery life to go all day whereas my phone is only good for a few hours.

There is no one answer, it depends on needs and the type of caching you want to do.

If that were an accurate statement, EVERY Registered Public Surveyor would sell their $thousands worth of equipment and buy cell phones. The military (you know the ones who own the satellites) would never allow civilians to have that type of accuracy. 10 meters is as good as it gets.

I have yet to see a cell phone that more accurate than my 6 year old Magellan 300 GPSr.

You are crazy! ALL modern smartphones are within 5 metres or less.

If I switch to compass I can actually follow it as it counts down in feet!

So long as the coordinates are spot on for the Cache I am at ZERO metres/feet when I am at GZ.

Why is this so hard to understand? Its irritating to be presumed I'm telling fairy tales?

Just because you blew hundreds of £'s on GPS devices isn't my problem.

I looked at ALL options. I used a lot of different GPS devices off family and friends.

I have also gone and Cached with iPhone and Android users.

My Samsung Ativ S (Galaxy S4) with Windows Phone OS is a remarkable piece of equipment.

And I would gladly prove this to anyone out in the field by handing over my phone and saying "Try It".

That's exactly what I have done with various phones and GPS devices.

I made a huge point of trying as much as possible and reading as many review and watching as many videos as possible.

Why?... Because I didn't want to spend a penny, let alone £500 on a device if I didn't have to.

Turns out that the FREE Official Geocaching App for Windows Phone has nailed it hands down.

And I havent spent a penny so i dont have a burning need to back up my uneducated and expensive purchase of a Garmin Etrex or Magellan GC etc.

So long as the coordinates are spot on for the Cache I am at ZERO metres/feet when I am at GZ.

Why is this so hard to understand? Its irritating to be presumed I'm telling fairy tales?

I looked at ALL options. I used a lot of different GPS devices off family and friends.

My Samsung Ativ S (Galaxy S4) with Windows Phone OS is a remarkable piece of equipment.

And I would gladly prove this to anyone out in the field by handing over my phone and saying "Try It".

I made a huge point of trying as much as possible and reading as many review and watching as many videos as possible.

Why?... Because I didn't want to spend a penny, let alone £500 on a device if I didn't have to.

Turns out that the FREE Official Geocaching App for Windows Phone has nailed it hands down.

And I havent spent a penny so i dont have a burning need to back up my uneducated and expensive purchase of a Garmin Etrex or Magellan GC etc.

I'll just quote your latest offensive, insulting comment.

I'm glad you're happy with the system you use. However, it's not the perfect system for everyone.

I don't own, and have no intention of owning, a smartphone or a cellphone or whatever. I'm quite happy with my landline.

As for geocaching, you're going a bit overboard in your uneducated assumption that those of us who own gps's are stupid, which is what you are proclaiming. How dare you assume that my purchase of 3 different gps' over the years was "uneducated" and without research?

I would strongly urge you to take your vitriolic tendencies down a few notches.

You might also like to carefully read the Forum Guidelines:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

B.

> Calling people crazy

> Implying people are uneducated

> Still relays incorrect and biased information

I also enjoy the fact that you tip toed around everyone's posts that made any logical point and basically took the childish route of "I'M RIGHT AND YOU'RE WRONG".

Edited by Dogmeat101

To be honest why should I even bother? This isn't a topic about my smartphone.

I was trying to give the O.P a truthful and honest answer from another "newbies" point of view.

So being jumped upon by the vast technophobe crowd who like their Garmin Etrex is uncalled for.

I do not think ANY newbie Cacher should go and blow loads of money on a GPS device.

Use your phone, find out how much you like the game first AT LEAST.

I LOVE the game, I play it daily and still I use my phone. Its perfection.

No reason whatsoever for me to WASTE hard earned money on another item to carry that does LESS than what my phone can.

Really it just all boils down to one thing which some have and others haven't...

...Common sense. :rolleyes:

Petie Pie, I hope the above ranting about phones versus gps' doesn't put you off posting in the forums. :(

Yup, Cabela's, REI, Campmore, etc are the types of "outdoors store" that should have a good selection of handheld gps models.

That link I gave you to GPSCity can be helpful for comparing models within a price range. Take off a few bucks cuz it's Canadian.

B.

I was trying to give the O.P a truthful and honest answer from another "newbies" point of view.

So being jumped upon by the vast technophobe crowd who like their Garmin Etrex is uncalled for.

I do not think ANY newbie Cacher should go and blow loads of money on a GPS device.

No reason whatsoever for me to WASTE hard earned money on another item to carry that does LESS than what my phone can.

Really it just all boils down to one thing which some have and others haven't...

Hate to break it to you, but you were the one doing all the "jumping on".

And you're continuing to be insulting to people who didn't make the choice you did.

Did you even read the replies by other people? Did you ever think for a second that your way is not the "right" way for everyone?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

I'll just quote your latest offensive, insulting comment.

I'm glad you're happy with the system you use. However, it's not the perfect system for everyone.

I don't own, and have no intention of owning, a smartphone or a cellphone or whatever. I'm quite happy with my landline.

As for geocaching, you're going a bit overboard in your uneducated assumption that those of us who own gps's are stupid, which is what you are proclaiming. How dare you assume that my purchase of 3 different gps' over the years was "uneducated" and without research?

I would strongly urge you to take your vitriolic tendencies down a few notches.

You might also like to carefully read the Forum Guidelines:

http://forums.Ground...tion=boardrules

B.

I was "attacked" first if you scroll up. dry.gif

I was the first to answer the O.P with valid points and personal experience.

I am called a liar and made out to be stupid saying my phone lies?

Hahahahahah! Feeble attempt at making a point.

Yet saying "uneducated" is such a taboo.

Think before you type. Im done with this topic.

It was doomed to be aggro from the start.

Hence why I mentioned in my "helpful" original post that here will come the GPS crowd...

Why bother? Because multiple people on here have stated that they use both their phone and their GPS. I use my phone more than I use my GPS. That doesn't mean it's more accurate when I go into the woods. I've only been playing a month longer than you have, so what makes your "newbie opinion" better than mine? I paid $125 for my waterproof shock resistant hand held GPS, it's been dropped into rivers and retrieved and used many times since then. You're being extremely arrogant, and you're calling other people down for absolutely no reason other than "My opinion is better so shut up". It's one thing to give your preference. It's another to start calling other users uneducated because of their preference.

I was "attacked" first if you scroll up. dry.gif

I was the first to answer the O.P with valid points and personal experience.

I am called a liar and made out to be stupid saying my phone lies?

Hahahahahah! Feeble attempt at making a point.

Yet saying "uneducated" is such a taboo.

Think before you type. Im done with this topic.

It was doomed to be aggro from the start.

Hence why I mentioned in my "helpful" original post that here will come the GPS crowd...

You weren't attacked. You gave false information and people corrected you, and you came back by calling them stupid and crazy.

1. A number of off topic/ contentious posts have been hidden from view. The thread topic is about helping the OP choose what GPS device or mobile device to consider. It is not a global debate between cellphones and dedicated GPS units. Those involved in that broader debate are strongly advised to stop posting along those lines.

2. This thread belongs in the GPS and Technology forum, so I am moving it there. But I am keeping an eye on this. :ph34r:

This description sounds more like an in-car sat-nav than a hand-held GPSr?

Car sat-nav's can be used for geocaching - to a degree, but I wouldn't personally recommend it for anything but drive-by / park-and-grab caching.

The main reason I wouldn't recommend it is because in-car sat-nav's are geared to road navigation rather than off-road navigation.

I've never tried myself but I'll wager the only useful information a car sat-nav would give you, away from roads, is your current GPS location - and a rough approximation of that location on the on-screen map.

If driveby / roadside caches are your intended target you may have reasonable success. Heading out into the woods hunting for caches with a car sat-nav though would probably end up in frustration.

I believe it is possible to convert geocache locations into a POI (Points Of Interest) file which can be uploaded to TomTom sat-nav's but I'm not sure just how much information from the cache page would be visible on the TomTom - very little I suspect apart from the cache coordinates.

Hope that helps :)

I will agree with MRB3N on one thing. I suggest that you stick with the phone app for awhile just to make sure that this is something you're going to be doing for some time before you drop a hundred or more on a GPS unit. Lots of people get in the initial rush of excitement and then it tails off 6 months down the road and then you're stuck with a unit that's gathering dust.

That being said, having started with a phone (and still using it sometimes) I ended up transitioning to a dedicated GPSr because I didn't want to possibly ruin my phone by dropping it in water or on rocks. The newer phones DO work well, but for areas that are off the beaten path I'd like the certainty that I'm going where I'm supposed to be going and not more than 50-100 feet away. There aren't that many areas uncovered by service anymore, but there are some and I like going there.

I have a friend who used a Samsung Galaxy S4 and then went to a unit because he didn't want to run the risk of dropping it and then having to shell out the money for a new one. I took my phone with me on a kayak event (we also cached on the paddle) but my phone never left the pelican box I put it in while my GPSr stayed out the entire time.

There's a time and a place for a phone AND a GPS unit, but it's going to come down to personal choice for the OP, as well as all the other cachers out there.

That being said, Garmin has more units than the other companies and I've liked the two I've had. You can take that for what it's worth - not much more than just another opinion.

Finally, if you're on Facebook, I'd look at joining the Ohio Kentucky & Indiana Cachers (OKIC) page and see if there's someone close to you that would be willing to meet up with you to show you their unit and what it can and can't do.

(i think i need help on how to add previous posts in my reply ... but that's another issue .. hahahha)

everyone has been so very helpful! and i'm glad i had the foresight to ask the question ...

garmin - magellan - oregon - lowrnace and now i have an idea of places to go look some of which are actually in my area!

i am thankful for the link on facebook because YES, i am there all the time! and i will look for a gathering in my area too ...

just to avoid any further bickering .. i live in a rural area - so i don't really plan on doing much urban caching - i don't want to use my phone - don't want to use my tablet

@team microdot: i was thinking this same thing .. the car nav gps is more for getting you through traffic etc .. not to a target area ..