I just found a Hispter Bait cassette tape...

mtension

I think I have discovered a new geo-cashing game called "Hipster Bait". They're hiding cassette tapes in 10 cities. Each cassette has two un-released songs on them. Not sure where it is from, but the idea sounds cool I found one of the cassettes in San Fran in a pub, hidden under the couch cushion I was sitting on. There was a QR code on the back cover, I scanned it and was taken to a page all about the cassette, the name, a player with the songs on it and a button to re-set the geo location. I re-hid it across town the next day (it asks you to re-locate the tape to a new spot)... anybody else here know about this?

Check it out: http//www.HipsterBait.com

I think I have discovered a new geo-cashing game called "Hipster Bait". They're hiding cassette tapes in 10 cities. Each cassette has two un-released songs on them. Not sure where it is from, but the idea sounds cool I found one of the cassettes in San Fran in a pub, hidden under the couch cushion I was sitting on. There was a QR code on the back cover, I scanned it and was taken to a page all about the cassette, the name, a player with the songs on it and a button to re-set the geo location. I re-hid it across town the next day (it asks you to re-locate the tape to a new spot)... anybody else here know about this?

Check it out: http//www.HipsterBait.com

That isnt geocaching. Just a bands promotion.

Since according to your profile you've never found or hid a geocache before, what's your relationship with the website you are trying to spam here?

I edited the topic title because the Wild Turkey Federation isn't geocaching related.

Jury's still out regarding the rest of the content.

Do you need a GPS to find it? If not then it isn't Geocaching related.

Oh, I see what you are saying. If we were to retrieve these Hispter Bait cassette tape from the couch cushions of the pubs that they are in and place them IN geocaches then it would be on topic. Interesting... I suppose to make them really hispter we would have to place them in really out of the way caches after a nice couple mile hike. Ya know, the ones that get very few visitors. Cuz that's really hispter in the Geocaching world. I've never placed or seen a cassette tape in a geocache. I wonder how they would hold up to the elements.

Since according to your profile you've never found or hid a geocache before, what's your relationship with the website you are trying to spam here?

Yep, tastes like SPAM to me.

I wish Michael mtension well with his viral ad campaign. Mr. Tension He has a rough road ahead if this going to successful for One Net Marketing him.

While geocaching is considered by some to be hipster (or apparently the more hipper, hispter) most all geocachers won't consider themselves hipsters. Strike one. Not being "real" hispters, I'm willing to bet not many geocachers own a cassette player. Strike two. I can't believe that some mentioned QR codes and this topic wasn't immediately assaulted by calls for the death of munzees or people lamenting the fact that they don't own a smartphone. Strike three?

I wish Michael mtension well with his viral ad campaign. Mr. Tension He has a rough road ahead if this going to successful for One Net Marketing him.

While geocaching is considered by some to be hipster (or apparently the more hipper, hispter) most all geocachers won't consider themselves hipsters. Strike one. Not being "real" hispters, I'm willing to bet not many geocachers own a cassette player. Strike two. I can't believe that some mentioned QR codes and this topic wasn't immediately assaulted by calls for the death of munzees or people lamenting the fact that they don't own a smartphone. Strike three?

That seems unlikely that the OP and Mike Tension are the same guy. Sure, the OP is using the name “mtension”, the same nickname as a guy named “Mike Tension” on Twitter. And the OP uses Mike Tension's image as a profile picture. And Mike Tension works with cassettes and “finds things” under tables, etc., then blogs about the finds.

The OP joined Geocaching two months ago, but just now found a cassette, therefore just now discovered Mike Tension. So I think the OP coincidentally has the name "Mike Tension" and looks like him, and then found a Mike Tension cassette, and in all the excitement, failed to mention the Tension connection. And posted a link huge in case you find a cassette and don't know how to log it.

Edited by kunarion

That seems unlikely that the OP and Mike Tension are the same guy. Sure, the OP is using the name “mtension”, the same nickname as a guy named “Mike Tension” on Twitter. And the OP uses Mike Tension's image as a profile picture. And Mike Tension works with cassettes and “finds things” under tables, etc., then blogs about the finds.

The OP joined Geocaching two months ago, but just now found a cassette, therefore just now discovered Mike Tension. So I think the OP coincidentally has the name "Mike Tension" and looks like him, and then found a Mike Tension cassette, and in all the excitement, failed to mention the Tension connection. And posted a link huge in case you find a cassette and don't know how to log it.

You could be right.

I don't doubt the OP found a cassette. Not much unlike how some cache owners controversially log finds on their own caches. The evidence is there that mtension, if that is his real name, is working for a marketing company that specializes in viral campaigns.

Does it really matter what the puppet looks like when we know who the puppet master is?

Its a lot of coincidences. Perhaps someone could post a link to logging finds in case the hipster found a geocache and doesn't know how to log it.

The evidence is there that mtension, if that is his real name, is working for a marketing company that specializes in viral campaigns.

That's probably just a coincidence. There are three guys named Mike Tension in the office where I work. It's a very common name.

:ph34r:

The evidence is there that mtension, if that is his real name, is working for a marketing company that specializes in viral campaigns.

That's probably just a coincidence. There are three guys named Mike Tension in the office where I work. It's a very common name.

A few years ago there were 8 people in the department in which I work. Five of them were named John.

I think your forgot something in your post.

This-> :rolleyes:

I think 8 tracks are too mainstream. Should use laser discs.

Bring it on! Don't have reel to reel but i think i have everything else covered, even 4 track. Oh wait, might have a problem with a 78 as my phonograph only plays 33s and 45s. Would be a might slow but i bet i could make it out. :laughing:

This sounds a bit like spam to me as well.

I think your forgot something in your post.

This-> :rolleyes:

My post was too obviously goofy to add anything. I just had to risk it may be taken seriously. :P

Wow, my ears are burning :) I'm flattered that you looked me up. Let me share a few more things with you. I design typefaces that are available for free on Dafont.com (look up Tension Type), I am a freelance creative mostly hired by agencies for concepting and design (One Net is one of these agencies, but they are very small and not very scary), I have recently directed a few video projects, I have an awesome 3 yr old shepherd/lab cross named Braddock and live in an amazing city in Canada. I have never been called a spammer before, but I like the sound of it. Sort of bad a** :)

As for the project I am trying to share with you, it does use GPS to locate the hidden cassettes, you can find them all on a map on their site here: http://hipsterbait.com/map.php I'm no expert, but I think that this would classify it under geo-caching. I dunno, this is all very new to me.

I figured who would be better to share this discovery with then a community who loves geo-caching. So I did. Check it out or don't. I think it looks pretty interesting, maybe some of you will too.

Thanks to those that stuck up for me in this thread, I appreciate it tons :)

Edited by mtension

You could be right.

I don't doubt the OP found a cassette. Not much unlike how some cache owners controversially log finds on their own caches. The evidence is there that mtension, if that is his real name, is working for a marketing company that specializes in viral campaigns.

Does it really matter what the puppet looks like when we know who the puppet master is?

I trying to figure out why someone would go to a pub where they obviously haven't cleaned under the seat cushions since 1990.

:blink:

Wow, my ears are burning :) I'm flattered that you looked me up. Let me share a few more things with you. I design typefaces that are available for free on Dafont.com (look up Tension Type), I am a freelance creative mostly hired by agencies for concepting and design (One Net is one of these agencies, but they are very small and not very scary), I have recently directed a few video projects, I have an awesome 3 yr old shepherd/lab cross named Braddock and live in an amazing city in Canada. I have never been called a spammer before, but I like the sound of it. Sort of bad a** :)

Thanks for being honest and introducing yourself. You really should find some geocaches and see what this is all about. I think that you'll find travelbugs interesting. The geocaching community would be very receptive to you attaching a travelbug tag to a demo CD and putting it in to a geocache. Like Don_J said "go[ing] to a pub where they obviously haven't cleaned under the seat cushions since 1990" isn't quite our idea of a good time.

As for the project I am trying to share with you, it does use GPS to locate the hidden cassettes, you can find them all on a map on their site here: I'm no expert, but I think that this would classify it under geo-caching. I dunno, this is all very new to me.

I figured who would be better to share this discovery with then a community who loves geo-caching. So I did. Check it out or don't. I think it looks pretty interesting, maybe some of you will too.

Thanks to those that stuck up for me in this thread, I appreciate it tons :)

You LIED and fabricated a story in your opening post to a community of 4+ million people who you thought might be interested in the project. You really think that's a good first impression of your client's website?

I would also like to know who the client is.

I suspect there isn't one. By some of the posts above it is obvious to me that no research has been done on Hipster Bait at all. Just a bit on me. Which would have taken all of about 10 seconds, even for a two finger typer on dial up.

I did nothing to hide who I was, and why should I? Did I lie to you? Not at all. I shared with you a new geo location game in a way I thought would get your attention. I could have done it differently, but I didn't. That's the chance one takes posting in a tight community like this. And also why nothing posted in here bothers me. It's just the way it is.

Are there cassettes hidden in some bars in a couch cushion? Definitely! You won't find any in a couch from 1990 though. I don't know of too many cool bars (aside from BBJs and they even change the burlap on the couches) that could stay open that long without renovating more than once. If the last time you went to a cool bar was in fact in 1990 you may think this is the case. Everything as you last remembered it?... do yourself a favour and go out and have a beverage. You deserve it :)

If you are afraid of where these cassettes could be hidden - why don’t you go to www.hipsterbait.com/map.php and check it out for yourself? Members of this website are the masters of geo-caching. Get off your butt and go find one. Afraid you can't? Is it more fun for you to write in this forum? I would rather be outside tracking down hidden treasures. I dare you to find one. Be the first from this group of 4 million. Better do it fast though, 990 is a very small number in cities the size of LA, Portland, Paris France, and San Fran... and there will be more in other cities over the next 30 days. I suspect that at least half are already out there.

What do you say? Are any of you takers?