What is the use of a pole skirt

jht1212

Many years ago, a rather progressive lamp post builder learned about this great hobby, where folks would use GPS devices to hunt for ammo cans in amazing environments. Being an observant fellow, he noticed that there were a few folks hiding geocacher who were utterly lacking in creativity. He felt that these inspirationally deprived folks were at a significant disadvantage, in that there weren't enough really crappy places to hide their vacuous hides. In an effort to redress this blatant inequity, they designed these little, metal, lift up thingies to go over the unattractive bolts which hold lamp posts to their bases.

Poof! In no time, the world was covered n lame hiding spots.

Many years ago, a rather progressive lamp post builder learned about this great hobby, where folks would use GPS devices to hunt for ammo cans in amazing environments. Being an observant fellow, he noticed that there were a few folks hiding geocacher who were utterly lacking in creativity. He felt that these inspirationally deprived folks were at a significant disadvantage, in that there weren't enough really crappy places to hide their vacuous hides. In an effort to redress this blatant inequity, they designed these little, metal, lift up thingies to go over the unattractive bolts which hold lamp posts to their bases.

You forgot the part about the research that was required to find the exact design that was required to make that extremely annoying sound as it is slid up the pole.

What are the purposes of pole skirts? I looked on the Internet and nothing could answer my question. If you know please respond

They were installed so there is a convent place to hide a film can for a lame wally world hide.

I wonder if a reviewer would okay a 4.5-difficulty hide at the TOP of a lamppost?!

I think your belief that LPCs are known worldwide is a bit misplaced.

In Australia they (the skirts) are not widely used.

I wasn't sure what one was until I found this picture:

f94e6d5a-14b4-460a-a308-b7beba03b667.png?rnd=0.1437449

Edited by Bunya

In Germany the public and most of the private/business owned lamp poles are totally buried within concrete fundaments - they don't have bolts and they don't need skirts. Even if I'm sure there may be some of these somewhere, I don't remember seeing one in my life in Germany. So we seem to miss a great opportunity for hides here... ;)

BTW: The abbreviation "LPC" here mostly is used for the term "Leit-Planken Cache" (german for guard rail cache) and would describe a more or less annoying cache hide as well. However, in some german regions/forums "LPC" stands for "Lost Place Cache" and so could be a bit misleading for the uninformed reader.

What are the purposes of pole skirts? I looked on the Internet and nothing could answer my question. If you know please respond

They were installed so there is a convent place to hide a film can for a lame wally world hide.

I wonder if a reviewer would okay a 4.5-difficulty hide at the TOP of a lamppost?!

Yep, http://coord.info/GC3CPD7

(look at the image gallery)

Edited by MartyBartfast

More negativity but in some parts true.

Many years ago I was looking for a cache at an Arkansas rest stop. We were about to give up when something made my wife look under that skirt....it was one of those WOW moments.....you overlook those things all your life. Every cacher I talked to has said the same thing....then after a couple of years, voila, a LPC overload......a classic overuse of a decent idea.

More negativity but in some parts true.

Many years ago I was looking for a cache at an Arkansas rest stop. We were about to give up when something made my wife look under that skirt....it was one of those WOW moments.....you overlook those things all your life. Every cacher I talked to has said the same thing....then after a couple of years, voila, a LPC overload......a classic overuse of a decent idea.

My first LPC was not what one would call a "Wow" moment. Quite the opposite, in fact. I'm not sure if I should blame my then existing sense of entitlement, or if I was just naive, but my first several dozen finds, just randomly pushing the 'Find Next' button, brought me to interesting locations, with containers large enough for swag. I got to the point where that's what I believed caching was all about. My next button push seemed to be taking me to a parking lot of a big box store. I was initially excited, thinking there must be something interesting in the parking lot that I never noticed during my muggle days. As I turned in, the distance and direction seemed to be pointing at a lamp post. Okay, now I'm thinking I must've fumbled the coords. Surely, no one would be so utterly devoid of creativity to bring me to a lamp post, no different from the other 80 bajillion lamp posts in this 500 acres of sweltering blacktop. That must be it! I messed up a digit... Feeling a bit abashed for thinking so poorly of the cache owner, I decided to check the only hiding spot at ground zero, just in case. You guessed it. Under the skirt was the typical soggy log film can so common to the breed.

(Sigh...)

I didn't even log it. I just drove away, shaking my head.

But there is a bright side. Never again can you say that every cache owner you ever met thought their first LPC hide was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

My first LPC, wasn't. I hadn't yet discovered the "secret" and I DNF'd a cache behind the local Wally World (twice) with not a clue that you could actually lift those things up. When I did finally come to the realization of LPC's, I eagerly returned to the Wally World with my newfound information, lifted up the skirt triumphantly, and....nothing.

A bit more searching and I found it under a fence post cap about 10 feet away 😳

LPC's are pretty stale for me now, but I still love it when I get an opportunity to show one to one of my muggle friends. For them it's a surprise :)

My first LPC was not what one would call a "Wow" moment. . . (Sigh...)I didn't even log it. I just drove away, shaking my head.

Are you sure that was not a "wow moment." I had one just the other day. I drove by a cache with an interesting name, discovered it was on private property in front of an even more private gate, shook my head, and sighed "wow."

Your explanation of pole skirts is the best I have seen. I had always assumed that they existed to give the pole skirt manufacturers something to do. As to caching, I lacked your foresight and thought the first one I found was an act of genius and later added it to my favorite list because sometimes I have a warped sense of irony. I have seen some with dioramas inside, and others where the skirt is just a decoy for a container at the top of the post. But these days, the skirt hides give me reason to go elsewhere. So perhaps that is one of their purposes.

I think your belief that LPCs are known worldwide is a bit misplaced.

In Australia they (the skirts) are not widely used.

I wasn't sure what one was until I found this picture:

f94e6d5a-14b4-460a-a308-b7beba03b667.png?rnd=0.1437449

That's hysterical.

I wish I could take credit for this, but I can't. Some time ago I found a picture like this somewhere connected to the GS site in a "caption contest", and the suggested caption read, "Does this skirt make my cache look big?"

Around here most of the newer shopping centers have taken to screwing the skirts in place or actually using construction adhesive to attach them. I assume one reason for the latter is to reduce the insect infestations that occur in the wetter areas near the edges of the parking lots (near trees/landscape and sprinklers). Or, they just want to make it harder for geocachers. Most commercial real estate managers would say no to caches on the property due to liability issues. We have one nearby large commercial center where the security guards actually have a GC.com membership and get notifications of newly placed caches. Yes, they even paid for a Premium Membership. Then they remove them (or watch for cachers to confront).

You forgot the part about the research that was required to find the exact design that was required to make that extremely annoying sound as it is slid up the pole.

But that was the easy part... fingernails on the blackboard (chalkboard later). It is a forgotten sound, today. :):lol::lol::lol:

:laughing: guys, you just made my dismal day a bit brighter... :laughing: truly laughing out loud as i'm looking for the nonexistent forum "like" button :rolleyes: