Ammo boxes should be banned

Because ammo boxes have sharp edges, they can rust, and sometimes they seal so tightly shut that it requires great strength to open them (which is then hard to direct to avoid catching the aforementioned sharp corners) they are clearly dangerous. Not only that but they are sufficiently large to allow them to contain a large amount of material that might be unsuitable for unaccompanied children to find.

In the interests of safety and security I propose that a new container is adopted and all caches must conform to its specifications. The new container must be made of soft plastic with no sharp edges, to prevent rust and minimise the chance of cachers inadvertently cutting themselves on the corners. It should be sufficiently large to contain a log but sufficiently small that it could never contain a substantial amount of anything we wouldn't want our children to find if they were wandering in the woods alone.

They should be mostly water resistant but not entirely water tight - they should let in some water so that logs don't remain too crisp. A crisp log could lead to people getting paper cuts, where a wet log offers protection against such dangers.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the cache of the future:

film_canisters.jpg

In the interests of safety and security I propose that a new container is adopted and all caches must conform to its specifications. The new container must be made of soft plastic with no sharp edges, to prevent rust and minimise the chance of cachers inadvertently cutting themselves on the corners. It should be sufficiently large to contain a log but sufficiently small that it could never contain a substantial amount of anything we wouldn't want our children to find if they were wandering in the woods alone.

No disrespect intended, but are you 1 of these extreme P.C. people?

People need to stop relying on so much protective measures that have been pounded into kids for the last 20 years and (re)learn what responsibility, good judgment, common sense and discretion are. Years ago no one would've minded using these because we were TAUGHT at an early age what to play with and what not to. what MAY be dangerous in what circumstances and what isn't. What to worry about and what not to. We were taught that an ammo. box sitting in daddy's gun cupboard was no doubt filled with things that could hurt us, while one sitting in the middle of nowhere should be handled carefully until you're sure what's in it -but NOT to be scared of it. If by chance it WOULD BE full of drugs or what have you let the police know. But don't be scared to approach it because of the slim chance it MIGHT be. Nowadays people are afraid to cross the street darn near. Society needs to chill or some day everyone is going to have a machine gun over his shoulder for "protection" and we'll look like Beirut.

There's nothing wrong with using these if people just use the head and mind Someone upstairs gave them.

Because ammo boxes have sharp edges, they can rust, and sometimes they seal so tightly shut that it requires great strength to open them (which is then hard to direct to avoid catching the aforementioned sharp corners) they are clearly dangerous. Not only that but they are sufficiently large to allow them to contain a large amount of material that might be unsuitable for unaccompanied children to find.

They should be mostly water resistant but not entirely water tight - they should let in some water so that logs don't remain too crisp. A crisp log could lead to people getting paper cuts, where a wet log offers protection against such dangers.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I give you the cache of the future:

film_canisters.jpg

That's correct.

A child could certainly untie their shoelace, tie it to the ammo can and whip it around in a giant circle above their head like a mace or a flail. This has a major potential for causing serious injuries. Although a film pot could be filled with gunpowder, its likely to get wet and be of no harm. I cant tell you the number of times I've gotten my foot dangerously jammed in an ammo can when my steel toed boots gave out, while film pots can be digested rather nicely with some olive oil and a little garlic.

flail.jpg

Take that spiked ball off and substitute an ammo can, and there could be some real problems.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I loved reading through some of these posts. The laced sarcasm and honest humor responses got me to chuckling. Good stuff. I love ammo cans. This has me thinking though...what is the largest geocache you've found. I located one in Tucson which was a five gallon bucket dug into the ground. The cover for the bucket had been camouflaged to match the surrounding terrain. It was loaded with swag. Get some!

A child could certainly untie their shoelace, tie it to the ammo can and whip it around in a giant circle above their head like a mace or a flail. This has a major potential for causing serious injuries.

You know...this had not previously occurred to me. I'm gonna start carrying around an ammo can for personal protection. Great idea! Thanks!

A child could certainly untie their shoelace, tie it to the ammo can and whip it around in a giant circle above their head like a mace or a flail. This has a major potential for causing serious injuries.

You know...this had not previously occurred to me. I'm gonna start carrying around an ammo can for personal protection. Great idea! Thanks!

Yeah. It would be great for concealed carry!

I loved reading through some of these posts. The laced sarcasm and honest humor responses got me to chuckling. Good stuff. I love ammo cans. This has me thinking though...what is the largest geocache you've found. I located one in Tucson which was a five gallon bucket dug into the ground. The cover for the bucket had been camouflaged to match the surrounding terrain. It was loaded with swag. Get some!

This reminds me of a thread I started about alternative size extremes, that triggered something of a sense of humour failure among the lackeys.

This reminds me of a thread I started about alternative size extremes, that triggered something of a sense of humour failure among the lackeys.

Ha ha! I loved your post about 35mm film canisters, plastic vs metal edges, and paper cuts. So very good stuff!!

They also can be mistaken for stoves. Stoves are hot and can cause burns. Yes, this is bad. Very bad.

ammo-can-stove-fire.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_2398_thumb.jpg

http://www.ammocanstove.com/

They also can be mistaken for stoves. Stoves are hot and can cause burns. Yes, this is bad. Very bad.

ammo-can-stove-fire.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_2398_thumb.jpg

Coffee's hot also! Beware! I think Wisconsin needs better warnings about the dangers of hot coffee!

ammo-can-stove-fire.jpg

IMG_7118.jpg

IMG_2398_thumb.jpg

This is another reason to implement my proposal. A small plastic container cannot contain a large fire and, if someone attempted to light a small fire inside it, the container would melt and thereby prevent anyone from hurting themselves on the hot surfaces an ammo can would offer.

It's becoming increasingly hard to think of any reasons why anyone would use something other than a small plastic container for a cache. They have so many safety and security features built in it's as if they were designed with geocaching in mind.

I say we ban anything smaller than a pill bottle. I have ammo cans. I have plenty of .556 ammo cans full of 9mm, .556 hand loads and .308 hand loads. I used to have several .50bmg cans full of .50bmg hand loads till I sold it when I was building my home. I think ammo cans make great caches. the best caches I have found were old 20mm ammo cans. they were loaded full of trackables and trade item goodness!!!

to be honest I believe with all my heart micro's should be done away with totally. if you can't fit a travel bug in a container it shouldn't be allowed period!!!

these p.c. feel good types who fear guns and ammo are also rated with micro caches in my book. there are to few real men left in this world, and to many girly men!!!

WOW! Ammo cans are totally my favorite! you can even get them in plastic now. I still like the good old steel.. Tupperware breaks in the cold of winter. ammo cans don't. they are the best hides out there.

I say we ban anything smaller than a pill bottle. I have ammo cans. I have plenty of .556 ammo cans full of 9mm, .556 hand loads and .308 hand loads. I used to have several .50bmg cans full of .50bmg hand loads till I sold it when I was building my home. I think ammo cans make great caches. the best caches I have found were old 20mm ammo cans. they were loaded full of trackables and trade item goodness!!!

to be honest I believe with all my heart micro's should be done away with totally. if you can't fit a travel bug in a container it shouldn't be allowed period!!!

these p.c. feel good types who fear guns and ammo are also rated with micro caches in my book. there are to few real men left in this world, and to many girly men!!!

You guys have obviously not read the entire posts. This is one of those times where you have to read through the whole thing. And if you did-you'd see that that ammo cans are bad. :ph34r:

WOW! Ammo cans are totally my favorite! you can even get them in plastic now. I still like the good old steel.. Tupperware breaks in the cold of winter. ammo cans don't. they are the best hides out there.

You guys have obviously not read the entire posts. This is one of those times where you have to read through the whole thing. And if you did-you'd see that that ammo cans are bad. :ph34r:

Opposing viewpoints are welcome, although in my opinion you are correct.

Ammo cans are very bad, and should be spanked.

no they are not. they are designed to be treated badly, with stand weather extremes, and are easy to load with plenty of swag. the problem isn't the ammo can. it is people who do not maintain their cache. the seals on them will last forever with a light coating of oil maybe 1 time a year. I only have several dozen sitting in the basement, the garage and storage building. I have several of the new plastic ones and they aren't half the containers a good military ammo can is.

you girly men may not like them because of what was in them. that is your choice. i'd rather find those than lock n locks any day.

no they are not. they are designed to be treated badly, with stand weather extremes, and are easy to load with plenty of swag. the problem isn't the ammo can. it is people who do not maintain their cache. the seals on them will last forever with a light coating of oil maybe 1 time a year. I only have several dozen sitting in the basement, the garage and storage building. I have several of the new plastic ones and they aren't half the containers a good military ammo can is.

you girly men may not like them because of what was in them. that is your choice. i'd rather find those than lock n locks any day.

I'll shout it from the rooftops: anyone named gonzogunner should be banned from a thread called "Ammo boxes should be banned."

:anibad:

No that's not the reason. Read the enfire thread carefully and then reply. BTW I am not a girly man, but a very butch lesbian.

↑↑↑ Isn't it sooo much more enjoyable when the poster doesn't read the other posts?! ;)

Wonder if gonzo "machoman" gunner thinks the italic font is "girly"?

Italic font is girly. It's a romance font, meant to attract girls. Italic comes right from Italy and romantic comes from Rome. Look at how slanted the tower of Pisa is, it's definitely italic.

↑↑↑ Isn't it sooo much more enjoyable when the poster doesn't read the other posts?! ;)

Wonder if gonzo "machoman" gunner thinks the italic font is "girly"?

Italic font is girly. It's a romance font, meant to attract girls. Italic comes right from Italy and romantic comes from Rome. Look at how slanted the tower of Pisa is, it's definitely italic.

Sadly the beautiful italic font doesn't have an option to vary the degree of lean to match the beautiful Italian tower.

I'd be less opposed to ammo boxes if they could be made of soft plastic and have curved edges. They should be allowed to let in a little water so the log book goes slightly damp, to protect vulnerable finders from paper cuts, and still shouldn't be large enough to contain a substantial quantity of anything harmful.

It might be better to take the lid off entirely, so we could be sure nobody would hurt themselves on an edge or a corner, or get their fingers trapped while trying to open it or close it. Then we could add a nice rounded lip to the top, removing another potentially sharp edge.

No that's not the reason. Read the entire thread carefully and then reply. .....

Hahaha, read the entire thread?!? You know geocachers don't read anymore, if lucky they might read an encrypted hint?

Maybe this whole thread should be changed into an encrypted hint.

I'm of the opinion that ammo cans, Tupperware, film canisters, pill bottles, and all containers should be banned! Seriously, if it is large enough to hide a small poisonous scorpion in, it needs to go. If any of you were parents, you'd know the danger of small scorpions just waiting to jump out and sting your children.

I think we need to start just using stickers or something. Maybe with a QR code on them.... :ph34r:

And I suppose you're going to tell me people also use them to store tools, and for first aid kits, and....wait for it.....to store ammo :laughing:

Why would you want an ammo box used to store happy meal toys and bits of paper when it could be used to store bullets and stuff?

Edited by team tisri