Puzzles for Geocaching

I am a big fan of puzzle related geocaches. I have hid a couple that have been very well received and want to do a few more. I am asking the geocaching community what are some of the best puzzles you have seen on your geocaching trips. Anything from the container being a puzzle itself to some inventive way to get someone to the coordinates.

CoryC819

I have hidden a number of Off Topic posts. How about some *different* forum community members actually contribute meaningful answers to the OP's question?

I'll start. One of my favorite puzzles is hidden on a frisbee golf course. You have to visit several "holes" to triangulate a solution to the cache location. Math in the field beats math on the computer in my book -- so long as it's not too difficult!

The same triangulation structure would work elsewhere if you'd like people to have a nice hike to visit virtual clues -- a great solution in a park or forest that already has lots of caches.

I'm debating about whether to put out an ACTUAL puzzle as one stage of a cache. I am planning to do a multi where one of the stages requires the person to put together a nine-tile edge matching puzzle to get the coordinates to the next stage.

Only problem is I figure it will put a lot of folks off since they'll basically have to sit at that stage for some unknown period of time to solve it. I considered posting it as something they could print out and solve at home...but what fun is that?

One of my favorites is "The Key to the Cryptonomicon"

It's a five star puzzle that sucks you in with several puzzles on the cache page, but then has many, many layers. It took me over a month to solve it.

I hadn't looked at the listing in a long time but apparently is was disabled for awhile after the CO discovered that some were just giving away the final coordinates and even some that were *selling* the final coordinates.

Well done unique containers or cryptex containers for field puzzles are usually well received. Have learned from experience people generally do not care for the kind of puzzles that require one to google answers. Personally I like a well crafted logic puzzle. If you list a cool puzzle or a cool field puzzle, both are great to me. You are never going to sway folks who do not like puzzles to come to your cache.

If I am on a trip, I will tend to stay away from field puzzles or puzzles you have to do answers on site unless its top notch in terms of its favorites. If I am on a trip, having to spend time to research answers or struggle on site is not something I would do. At home perhaps, but not on a trip. I would want a puzzle on a trip that I already know I have solved it in advance, especially with a geocheck or something like that to confirm the answer.

I'm debating about whether to put out an ACTUAL puzzle as one stage of a cache. I am planning to do a multi where one of the stages requires the person to put together a nine-tile edge matching puzzle to get the coordinates to the next stage.

Only problem is I figure it will put a lot of folks off since they'll basically have to sit at that stage for some unknown period of time to solve it. I considered posting it as something they could print out and solve at home...but what fun is that?

sounds like you'd like a dnf from last december we tried Oh Joy !!...GC3GDX1 -

a loc n loc with a foam puzzle and pix of what it should look like when finished hidden near the picnic tables gazebo of a park, so we could sit at the table and work it out !!!

the final coords for cache to log the find were hidden within the puzzle layout.. i will avenge it next trip down there...

a loc n loc with a foam puzzle and pix of what it should look like when finished hidden near the picnic tables gazebo of a park, so we could sit at the table and work it out !!!

the final coords for cache to log the find were hidden within the puzzle layout.. i will avenge it next trip down there...

I had thought about creating an interesting puzzle cache / cache series but I am deciding against it because after browsing the forums here it seems it is accepted practice that people will cheat or tolerate cheating and many people here feel that it is not acceptable for CO to require that people actually complete the puzzles themselves in order to be able to log the find. I may be wrong in this assumption, if so please educate me, but if I were to put the time and effort into creating a puzzle that would be difficult to solve, I'd want to insure that it would have to actually be solved in order to be found. If I had found that people had shared the coordinates and allowed people who hadn't solved it to find the cache, I would feel the integrity of the puzzle had been compromised and would have to archive it.

But the general consensus here seems to be "it doesn't matter how you find it" and that I would be a poor sport for archiving such a puzzle cache under those circumstances. Again please correct me if I'm wrong.

If that is the case, therefore, I could not recommend to anybody that they spend a lot of effort on a puzzle cache unless you are all right with people cheating to find it. If that doesn't bother you, than go for it.

Edited by TopShelfRob

geocaching is an OUTDOOR game.. not indoor behind a pc game...

so please encurage people to get outdoor, not waste their time at home to solve stuff not at all related to geocaching.

some puzzles are fun if they are easy, educational, geocaching related give people some thing.

geocaching is an OUTDOOR game.. not indoor behind a pc game...

so please encurage people to get outdoor, not waste their time at home to solve stuff not at all related to geocaching.

some puzzles are fun if they are easy, educational, geocaching related give people some thing.

I disagree and see nothing wrong with puzzles. The cache is hidden either way so the person is still going to go out to look for it. Only difference is an added step. On mine I do at least try to put the cache somewhere interesting.

It's much easier to sit in your car to put the puzzle together. The pieces are so light that the slightest breeze can blow them away.

I had thought about creating an interesting puzzle cache / cache series but I am deciding against it because after browsing the forums here it seems it is accepted practice that people will cheat or tolerate cheating and many people here feel that it is not acceptable for CO to require that people actually complete the puzzles themselves in order to be able to log the find. I may be wrong in this assumption, if so please educate me, but if I were to put the time and effort into creating a puzzle that would be difficult to solve, I'd want to insure that it would have to actually be solved in order to be found. If I had found that people had shared the coordinates and allowed people who hadn't solved it to find the cache, I would feel the integrity of the puzzle had been compromised and would have to archive it.

But the general consensus here seems to be "it doesn't matter how you find it" and that I would be a poor sport for archiving such a puzzle cache under those circumstances. Again please correct me if I'm wrong.

If that is the case, therefore, I could not recommend to anybody that they spend a lot of effort on a puzzle cache unless you are all right with people cheating to find it. If that doesn't bother you, than go for it.

For me, the fun is creating the puzzles. And I can only control my actions, so it doesn't bother me if cachers share coordinates. If it bothers you that much, just have LPC's at the end of your puzzles and save the good locations for traditionals.

For me, the fun is creating the puzzles. And I can only control my actions, so it doesn't bother me if cachers share coordinates. If it bothers you that much, just have LPC's at the end of your puzzles and save the good locations for traditionals.

No, I don't want to ruin it for those that honestly solve the puzzle, I just want to prevent those that take shortcuts from getting a find that they haven't earned.

I understand what you're saying, but I want to create a fun adventure that's going to be a real accomplishment for anybody that completes it, and not just be another find for cachers to notch on their belt on the way to their next 1000 milestone.

Edited by TopShelfRob

if a puzzle is 90 % time spend behind a pc

and only 10% time outdoor activity,

what have it to do with the line written on the first page ?

it is another game, but not geocaching, since geocaching is an OUTDOOR game,

it maybe funny and all that..

The puzzle caches I've enjoyed the most are those which combine

- A cache with a theme

- An at home puzzle to get started.

- Some field puzzles following on the theme

- A good walk and excellent outdoor stages (again taking the theme into account)

I do like solving puzzles, and I see this as an additional part of the game. I tend to work on puzzles at a time where caching is not so appealing (at night, bad weather etc).

But a puzzle which takes days to solve and the cache itself is a park and grab - I don't enjoy those as much.

exactly Mark..

then imagine to live in an area where most puzzles are exactly as you wrote you did not like so much..

and then a zillion of them, only made to prove a point or give back, to see who can waste most time from each other.

that is why I cry..

I'm continually amazed at how folks criticize how others play the game. If people enjoy making and/or solving puzzles as part of geocaching, what's wrong with that? If you don't enjoy them, just don't do them. If you don't like LPCs, don't go after them. All of my puzzles - which are all less than four months old - have been solved and found three or fewer times. I'm fine with that. I make them understanding that the find counts won't grow quickly. I'm not interested in putting out dozens of traditionals just to get people outdoors. I like variety, which is why I'm considering the physical puzzle that requires folks to solve it on-site to move on. I have other ideas...some about style of hide, others about puzzle types, others about easy hides in little-known areas of town.

The only thing that bothers me is when people ignore my caches simply because some brain power is necessary before they even walk out the door. Maybe if they tried solving them they might find they are actually still having fun.

I agree a lot of the boring puzzles out there are the same old 34'0X.5YZ and make you count fenceposts or such and such to solve for X Y and Z. I'm not talking about that, but actually doing something interesting and unique that the CO doesn't want just one person to have to figure out before the answer is then given to everyone else.

(Added -- I replied before I saw J Grouchy's reply) I'm with you, J Grouchy -- I don't care if I'd have relatively few finds on a well-thought out puzzle if it meant that the few that did find really enjoyed it. I have no problem with others skipping it if they weren't interested in using their brain.

What I would have a problem with is if I had a puzzle that had been solved only three times in four months, to then start getting ten finds a week on it because someone who solved it decided to share the answer.

Edited by TopShelfRob

>to then start getting ten finds a week on it because someone who solved it decided to share the answer.

this happens since people wants to get outdoor and have fun

and dont want to waste time at home..

a cache should be designed to be found..

it is cool J Grouchy you think alot about creative hides, the locations, and real puzzles to solve while out there in the great outdoors.

try not to make it too complex, if you create stuff with moving parts, be sure it is not too fragile,

alot of things are super fun and last long, and the person need to use his brain :-)

the shooe laces with numbers on them are great :-)

then people need to find a stick with the right diameter, wind up and read the hidden message,

or transparent plastic sheets with partial numbers, to combine, light tru and read.

and many more of such ideas

What I would have a problem with is if I had a puzzle that had been solved only three times in four months, to then start getting ten finds a week on it because someone who solved it decided to share the answer.

Why limit it to "puzzles", is it not the same issue if someone who found a traditional cache, then shared the D4.5 awesome camo and hide details (making it a 1.5)?

As a cache hider you can only control how you envision your cache to be enjoyed and found. After it's published all bets are off...

My puzzle cache has printed pieces, so the parts don't get lost. :P

Only half the finders even mention the puzzle.

Edited by kunarion

Why limit it to "puzzles", is it not the same issue if someone who found a traditional cache, then shared the D4.5 awesome camo and hide details (making it a 1.5)?

As a cache hider you can only control how you envision your cache to be enjoyed and found. After it's published all bets are off...

That's the same idea, if someone gave away the secret of how you hid a camo'd ammo can it'd be the same thing.

The 5.0+ terrain that kept the 4.5 lb Walleye unfound for 10 years is awesome, but if someone wants to make the equivalent on the difficulty scale, a 5.0+ camo job or a 5.0+ difficulty puzzle, a puzzle tough enough that it should likely only be solved a handful of times, that's frowned upon, that's something that is okay to cheat on?

Edited by TopShelfRob

No, I don't want to ruin it for those that honestly solve the puzzle, I just want to prevent those that take shortcuts from getting a find that they haven't earned.

I understand what you're saying, but I want to create a fun adventure that's going to be a real accomplishment for anybody that completes it, and not just be another find for cachers to notch on their belt on the way to their next 1000 milestone.

Kudos.

I don't really see a difference between a clever puzzle and and a difficult hide with awesome camo. It both cases the cache owner is demonstrating some creativity and going above and beyond the effort required to throw a film put under a light post skirt. If all bets are off after the cache is published, and cachers effectively turn a creative cache into yet another D1 park-n-grab by giving away the puzzle solution, specific location, or how the cache is hidden, what incentive is there for a cache owner to be creative and create anything other than a run-of-the-mill cache that serves no other purpose than to produce high find counts?

OT

In a poorly worded attempt to broaden the perspective (TopShelfRob - cachers ruining puzzles), it becomes clear that "potential poor" cacher behaviour may "ruin" ANY cache experience for cache owners (and possibly seekers) as better stated by NYPaddleCacher.

As cache owners we do not contol who seeks our caches or what they do with the info they gain on the journey. One can quite rightly "have a problem" with "potential poor" behaviour, but to use that as an excuse to not produce puzzles, or other "creative" caches is detrimental to the game. This type of cacher exists but to such a low proportion it is unreasonable to allow their "potential poor" behaviour to affect anyones hides.

TopShelfRob,

You could most definitely create a unique solution to your puzzle problem :). For example, a one-time-use code that unlocks your cache is revealed at the completion of your puzzle. This code could change everytime your cache was opened using it, requiring your cacher to solve the puzzle to find (and sign the log) of the cache. Now, lets say their friends tell them *how to* solve the puzzle, and they get their own code to use. Well, you could have also have a one-time-use puzzle that morphs as people solve it, all with the same relative difficulty. As I type this, I see how awesome this could be, now where to hide it is the question :).

-LunaticSpawn

TopShelfRob,

You could most definitely create a unique solution to your puzzle problem :). For example, a one-time-use code that unlocks your cache is revealed at the completion of your puzzle. This code could change everytime your cache was opened using it, requiring your cacher to solve the puzzle to find (and sign the log) of the cache. Now, lets say their friends tell them *how to* solve the puzzle, and they get their own code to use. Well, you could have also have a one-time-use puzzle that morphs as people solve it, all with the same relative difficulty. As I type this, I see how awesome this could be, now where to hide it is the question :).

-LunaticSpawn

Yes, I have already begun to think along those lines.... :)

That may be what geocaching is to you. And that's fine. It's wonderful. But one of the greatest things about geocaching is that can be whatever you make of it.

Although I agree in general that I prefer my geocaching to be mostly outdoors, I do enjoy puzzles. I derive a great deal of enjoyment, especially during those long and dark winter evenings when the wind is howling and snow is falling, from sitting at home attempting to solve puzzles. No small part of it is the anticipation of going out there to find that cache.

I find that usually my satisfaction in finding the cache is greater for the effort I spent at home. And in the process, I've broadened my horizons, learned new things, and developed new skills.

What would you have me do at home instead? Watch television?

Going back on topic, the type of puzzle I like the most is along the lines of this one: Smith's Society. A variety of puzzles, both at home and in the field, a theme and story, good locations, a few nice hikes, culminating with a very good hike in a great location with an ammo can at the end. To me, puzzle caches just don't get much better than that. There are three other Smith's puzzle caches by the same owner, and all of them are good.

TopShelfRob,

-LunaticSpawn

It sounds like an interesting idea until you consider the possibility that Cacher A could solve the puzzle then Cacher B finds the cache before Cacher A get to it. After Cacher B has closed the container, the solution to the puzzle solved by Cacher A would no longer match the code.

TopShelfRob,

-LunaticSpawn

It sounds like an interesting idea until you consider the possibility that Cacher A could solve the puzzle then Cacher B finds the cache before Cacher A get to it. After Cacher B has closed the container, the solution to the puzzle solved by Cacher A would no longer match the code.

Right, I don't think exactly like that would work, I was thinking something more like a code that would refer back to the initial stages, but could change once a week or something. (But not automatically change after each time... more like once a week I could change it to something else that was referenced in an earlier stage.) Still wouldn't be entirely cheat-proof, but more likely they would still have to think through it some.

Right, I don't think exactly like that would work, I was thinking something more like a code that would refer back to the initial stages, but could change once a week or something. (But not automatically change after each time... more like once a week I could change it to something else that was referenced in an earlier stage.) Still wouldn't be entirely cheat-proof, but more likely they would still have to think through it some.
Keep in mind that some people complete part of a multi-cache, then come back later (days, weeks, even months later) to finish it.

It's a five star puzzle that sucks you in with several puzzles on the cache page, but then has many, many layers. It took me over a month to solve it.

I hadn't looked at the listing in a long time but apparently is was disabled for awhile after the CO discovered that some were just giving away the final coordinates and even some that were *selling* the final coordinates.

So what's the going rate for puzzle coords? ;) Buying them may be the only way I can solve some of those esoteric nightmares! :lol:

So what's the going rate for puzzle coords? ;) Buying them may be the only way I can solve some of those esoteric nightmares! :lol:

I think i can solve this one at my local library, I will have to try next week when I have a bit more time.

I am a big fan of puzzle related geocaches. I have hid a couple that have been very well received and want to do a few more. I am asking the geocaching community what are some of the best puzzles you have seen on your geocaching trips. Anything from the container being a puzzle itself to some inventive way to get someone to the coordinates.

I've encountered several nice ones, unfortunately almost all of them are available in German only. Shall I provide links nevertheless?

Cezanne

The thread topic is "what are some of the best puzzles you have seen on your geocaching trips?" I think the discussion long ago scared away the OP, who hasn't posted again in this discussion. And that makes me sad.

The confusion is due to the title, which seems to cover puzzle issues in general. In the middle of the paragraph, there's a question about best puzzles we've seen. A solid 90% of posts are therefore "off topic." That could mean the topic morphed.

Best puzzles? I've solved one puzzle, which (apparently like many puzzles) involved a bit of mind-reading. It involved reorganizing shapes on the computer screen to spell out coords. I've seen video of some mechanical puzzles that look great.

Puzzles - love 'em or hate 'em!

I've encountered several nice ones, unfortunately almost all of them are available in German only. Shall I provide links nevertheless?

Cezanne

Sure! If we have to use online translation, that adds another layer of puzzlement! I'm all in favor of ramping up the challenge from "almost impossible" to "through the roof mind-blowingly tough"!

TopShelfRob,

-LunaticSpawn

A non-issue if you create it right. It would be easy to randomly generate codes for one-time-use (a list that is updated as people finish their puzzle). After that code has been used, it is just removed from the list for example. No one said that only one code would be valid at a time.

I think i can solve this one at my local library, I will have to try next week when I have a bit more time.

Okay, see you in a few weeks. It took me about a month to complete it, working an hour or two on it almost every day. From what I read in some of the those, some spent far long working on it.

Okay, see you in a few weeks. It took me about a month to complete it, working an hour or two on it almost every day. From what I read in some of the those, some spent far long working on it.

So you spent 30+ hours solving a puzzle at home in front of your computer, that IMHO is not geocaching.It's also the reason I won't spend more than 5 minutes on a puzzle, I have limited time for my hobby and when I can I go out, I like to be outdoors.

As cache owners we do not contol who seeks our caches or what they do with the info they gain on the journey. One can quite rightly "have a problem" with "potential poor" behaviour, but to use that as an excuse to not produce puzzles, or other "creative" caches is detrimental to the game. This type of cacher exists but to such a low proportion it is unreasonable to allow their "potential poor" behaviour to affect anyones hides.

Agreed - it is detrimental to the game but my experience differs from your assertion that this type of cacher or cheats if you prefer, exist in such a low proportion. In my experience they actually form the considerable majority.

I myself am part of the statistic which uses this as an excuse to no longer produce puzzles or other "creative" caches - sick to the back teeth of diminishing returns.

I'm always stunned by the ratio of those who seek the 'kudos' of having 'solved' the puzzle to those who actually put the effort in to actually doing so in reality.

That's what I really don't get - if you take away the puzzle i.e. by not bothering to actually solve it - what are you left with? A trad - and a hollow claim of a prize never won.

So you spent 30+ hours solving a puzzle at home in front of your computer, that IMHO is not geocaching.It's also the reason I won't spend more than 5 minutes on a puzzle, I have limited time for my hobby and when I can I go out, I like to be outdoors.

I have limited time for this hobby (and this isn't my only hobby). The amount of time I have for this hobby when I can go out and look for caches is much less limited than the amount of time engaging in activities related to geocaching. I put something in the oven for dinner about a half an hour ago and can use that time to work on a puzzle but it wouldn't be the best time to go find a cache. There's lot of time when I can't really go out to look for a cache or two but can easily spend that time working on puzzles or drinking a beer and posting the the forums. Actually, I'm not drinking a beer, but now that I think about it, I think I've got a bottle of Northcoast Brewing Co. Pranqster in the fride.

I have limited time for this hobby (and this isn't my only hobby). The amount of time I have for this hobby when I can go out and look for caches is much less limited than the amount of time engaging in activities related to geocaching. I put something in the oven for dinner about a half an hour ago and can use that time to work on a puzzle but it wouldn't be the best time to go find a cache. There's lot of time when I can't really go out to look for a cache or two but can easily spend that time working on puzzles or drinking a beer and posting the the forums. Actually, I'm not drinking a beer, but now that I think about it, I think I've got a bottle of Northcoast Brewing Co. Pranqster in the fride.

My job involves a lot of thinking so when I get home I like to give my brain a rest so I'll watch stuff like Family Guy or grab some beer and post on the forums, last thing I want to do is use my brain.

My job involves a lot of thinking so when I get home I like to give my brain a rest so I'll watch stuff like Family Guy or grab some beer and post on the forums, last thing I want to do is use my brain.

So does mine. As a programmer and systems architect I spend most of my day puzzle solving. The last thing I want to do is stop using my brain.

I was able to get MOAP solved in about 2 weeks, so I'm interested in seeing how complex this one is.

Edited by Dr H0rrible

Is this evidence that Roman doesn't use his brain when posting in the forums? :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but take a screenshot - it sure looks to me like Roman! said that he doesn't use his brain when he posts in the forums.... :P

Edited by wmpastor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but take a screenshot - it sure looks to me like Roman! said that he doesn't use his brain when he posts in the forums.... :P

Does that surprise you? :laughing: