Urban Cachoflage

For the Urban Cacher in San Francisco, most the caches are in and around the financial district (downtown). I feel like my neighborhood is left out as there's no caches in it at all. There are some nearby but not in it. So I'm on a quest to populate my hood with at least a couple of good sneaky caches.

This is a very urban environment -no big lawns or parks, just concrete and steel- and there's not many places for an ammo box sized cache. So I'm starting to develop some micros disguised as a part of the environment. My first is a 2 inch diameter metal pill box which I've painted to look weathered and worn. It can easily fit in among metalworks like cable protectors on telephone poles or a building's pipes.

I've read about some other Urban Cachoflage like an Altoids tin painted to look like a junction box on a light pole and stuff like that. But I'd like to get some inspiration going on what other things I could do. What ingenius urban disguises have you seen or heard about? Got pictures or links? -Thanks for indulging me!

-Dan

Team Kender - "The Sun is coming up!" "No, the horizon is going down."

How about a cement block Cache?

wow-cache1-open.jpg

This is a REALLY BIG Geocache.

Jeff Scism, IBSSG http://blacksheep.rootsweb.com/

Is it more important to know what you are talking about,

or more important to talk about what you know?

the seeking is in the knowing

and not where you've been

Travelling is the going

isn't learning Keen?

[This message was edited by Flockmaster on June 05, 2003 at 09:21 AM.

[This message was edited by Flockmaster on June 05, 2003 at 09:21 AM.]

I hunted for and found a very clever urban cache in the Denver area...it was a light switch box mounted on a building wall next to an electrical conduit. Looked like it fit in perfectly in that location...I walked past it no less than 8 times before I finally smacked myself in the head for missing it each of those 8 times.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

Here's another one I found in the Long Beach, CA, area: Cache container is one of those magnetic key hider holders. Hider found a bright red bus stop bench, painted the key holder the exact same shade of bright red, and mounted it on the metallic underside. It's an incredibly high-traffic area and yet has remained undetected by non-cachers for months.

-Dave R. in Biloxi

There is a cache here in Macon that is wrapped in a black plastic bag, placed in an area with alot of trash, that would be only picked up through our CITO efforts. the cache is hard to spot as to tell if its a cache or grabage.

Happy Hunting icon_smile.gif

-Amazingracer

If war protesters don't believe in violence what would they do if we punched them in the nose?

I've found a few around here that are like the lightswitch idea. One is right amongst some breaker boxes, match painted EXACTLY like the environment they are in. They might even fool an electrician working in the area.

Another is match painted to an 80' lightpole at a baseball field. Slapped on conspicuously, thousands of people look at it every weekend during little league, yet few know it's not supposed to be there. icon_smile.gif Needless to say, this is a cache you don't want to get on Saturdays/Sundays or any nights men's/women's baseball leagues are going on.

Brian

Team A.I.

Can't say this is my idea. Got it from another cacher whose name I won't mention because it may spoil their hides.

I took a thin sheet of flexible magnetic material (it's sold as "vent covers" in some hardware stores). Got some 3" adhesive numbers and letters and stuck them to the sheet, simulating some sort of code number and trimmed the sheet so that only the numbers show. To the back, I glued a log sheet made from National Geographic Adventure paper so its waterproof.

This can be affixed to nearly anything (guard rails, electrical boxes, etc...) and left in plain sight. To passersby, it looks like one of the ubiquitious codes and identifiers that appear on all sorts of places that have no meaning to most people.

BTW, for mine I used NJ347BR and it's affixed to the end of a small, historic steel bridge, in plain view of the hundreds of people who pass it every day. It's stumped several of the most accomplished geocachers in the state.

"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"

Or get a dummy and dress it up like the corner drug dealer.

Would probably get shot for moving in on someones territory though.

I have thought of getting a dummy head and turning it into a cache. Would be pretty funny in the right setting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never been lost. Been awful confused for a few days, but never lost!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianSnat:

Can't say this is my idea. Got it from another cacher whose name I won't mention because it may spoil their hides.

I took a thin sheet of flexible magnetic material (it's sold as "vent covers" in some hardware stores). Got some 3" adhesive numbers and letters and stuck them to the sheet, simulating some sort of code number and trimmed the sheet so that only the numbers show. To the back, I glued a log sheet made from National Geographic Adventure paper so its waterproof.

This can be affixed to nearly anything (guard rails, electrical boxes, etc...) and left in plain sight. To passersby, it looks like one of the ubiquitious codes and identifiers that appear on all sorts of places that have no meaning to most people.

BTW, for mine I used NJ347BR and it's affixed to the end of a small, historic steel bridge, in plain view of the hundreds of people who pass it every day. It's stumped several of the most accomplished geocachers in the state.

_"Au pays des aveugles, les borgnes sont rois"_

WOW! Cool idea! I bet that would fool a lot of people! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Cache'N'Carry:

How about a REALLY big, closet sized cache, painted to look like a newsstand or a phone booth. Does anyone remember what a phonebooth is? icon_biggrin.gif

I'm actually looking for a phone booth to hold a boss' retirement party in. Problem is they are few and far between. A collegue suggested looking for one and restoring it. This could be rented out for such parties, either as a joke or the real deal. icon_biggrin.gif

When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.

Henny Youngman (1906 - 1998)icon_cool.gif