Please hide caches that are more than a tiny slip of paper

nahdogg

You cant expect people to just stop making micros. Just like you get mad when you cant find a large cache, cachers who have been at it a while probably would get disappointed when they cant find micros to hunt because they find it more exciting to find something with higher difficulties. Geocaching wasn't meant to give kids free toys. People want a challenge.

Nope.

I think I've been at this awhile and I try to my best not to find micros.

I can find quite a few higher difficulty hides with great challenges without seeing a single micro.

Edited by cerberus1
But eventually the Kobayshi Maru is going to sail into the picture. People will decide you've come here with an attitude and rather than trying to be helpful and suggest ways to make geocaching more enjoyable the topic will drift into why you are so angsty or what the root cause of this angst. There is no way way to get the discussion back on topic. The more you fight it, the more it will spilt from what you wanted to talk about. Your best hope now is to click the report button and ask a moderator to close this thread.

...or hack the simulation....😜

I cache with kids so I totally understand where you're coming from. My kids don't *really* care about the toys. The swag they find generally ends up on the floor of the cachemobile, forgotten. However, there's something about the discovery of the toys that's very exciting for the children. They love to pick things out and trade. I rarely bother hunting micros with them because, to them, micros are not caches. They are completely uninterested in them. If we do happen upon a micro, I let the kids pick something out of our backpack (I carry a variety of swag with us whenever we go out).

Other than that, best thing you can do is put our larger caches yourself.

You may have missed Snoogans reference to the dreaded Forum Posting Kobayashi Maru. If you don't know what that refers to, you may want to google it.

Essentially your post is similar to ones we have seen over and over and over again in this forum. "There are too many caches that don't meet my expections. Please improve geocaching by placing better caches".

I believe we can all sympathize with a parent who had found this wonderful activity to do with their child. They can see the child's excitement in finding a container full of swag they can trade for and the disappointment in finding a film cannister with only a log to sign. We don't doubt that the this parent would prefer all caches to be big enough to have swag and hopefully that the swag is something the would delight this child.

So far, there have been a number of suggestions on ways to avoid these small caches. The cache size (except when listed as unspecified or other) appears on every cache page, and premium members have ways to specify the size when searching for caches to find. There have also been some suggestion on what to do when you find a cache that needs maintenance (ranging from actually helping out by doing the maintenance yourself to post a need archived log to bring it to a reviewers attention).

In addition you have gotten some input from experienced cachers on why certain kinds of repurposed food containers may not be as good a choice for a container as it might originally seem. Certainly, the particular hiding spot and your willingness to replace the container when the lid cracks or an animal chews it may mean that these issues are less of a concern.

But eventually the Kobayshi Maru is going to sail into the picture. People will decide you've come here with an attitude and rather than trying to be helpful and suggest ways to make geocaching more enjoyable the topic will drift into why you are so angsty or what the root cause of this angst. There is no way way to get the discussion back on topic. The more you fight it, the more it will spilt from what you wanted to talk about. Your best hope now is to click the report button and ask a moderator to close this thread.

Resistance is futile. Trolls = Borg assimilating good intentions into the collective of talk back garbage. Thanks for the warm welcome into Groundspeak forums

/takes ball and leaves forum

Ummm. :blink: Did that just prove Snoogans's and TOZ's point? :blink:

You may have missed Snoogans reference to the dreaded Forum Posting Kobayashi Maru. If you don't know what that refers to, you may want to google it.

Essentially your post is similar to ones we have seen over and over and over again in this forum. "There are too many caches that don't meet my expections. Please improve geocaching by placing better caches".

I believe we can all sympathize with a parent who had found this wonderful activity to do with their child. They can see the child's excitement in finding a container full of swag they can trade for and the disappointment in finding a film cannister with only a log to sign. We don't doubt that the this parent would prefer all caches to be big enough to have swag and hopefully that the swag is something the would delight this child.

So far, there have been a number of suggestions on ways to avoid these small caches. The cache size (except when listed as unspecified or other) appears on every cache page, and premium members have ways to specify the size when searching for caches to find. There have also been some suggestion on what to do when you find a cache that needs maintenance (ranging from actually helping out by doing the maintenance yourself to post a need archived log to bring it to a reviewers attention).

In addition you have gotten some input from experienced cachers on why certain kinds of repurposed food containers may not be as good a choice for a container as it might originally seem. Certainly, the particular hiding spot and your willingness to replace the container when the lid cracks or an animal chews it may mean that these issues are less of a concern.

Resistance is futile. Trolls = Borg assimilating good intentions into the collective of talk back garbage. Thanks for the warm welcome into Groundspeak forums

Ummm. :blink: Did that just prove Snoogans's and TOZ's point? :blink:

TOZ only describes a situation.

bd

Edited by BlueDeuce

Micros and nanos have become a part of geocaching. I personally enjoy looking for them if they are:

A) in an interesting location

B) in an interesting container

C) in a tree

You can't really stop people from placing micros. They are easy to place and cheap to buy. That doesn't make them bad. If people make them interesting to find, they don't have to be viewed as a stain on the shirt of cache containers. My three caches that I've placed so far are all micros but they all have favorites. Why? Because two have very interesting camo that makes the search harder and more rewarding and one is in a tree. If all micros were more interesting instead of magnets stuck to a guard rail, everyone would enjoy them more.

We have two micros out currently, as that's all the property owners would allow.

OD match stick and a hide-a-key rock.

We would have liked to place something else. My fault, I showed them options.

I think many place favorites for a location they were brought to, rather than finding yet another camo'd film can.

I placed an ammo box in a park, and after the third time having its contents strewn around (by kids), I removed everything except the log book and cache card. So it has no toys, and nocacher is adding toys, so you find the same thing you find in a Micro -- the log to sign.

And I have a Micro film can with a bunch of favorites. It's a nice spot to visit, but the favs appear to be mostly for the camo. I planned and placed that cache specifically so that cachers would love it.

We probably all share the OP's frustration over bad caches. Some Micros seem to be nothing but a pill bottle statement that “I take a whole mess of prescriptions! Help me?

Many Micros are placed due to requiring no cost, no planning, with no intention of maintenance, no real "investment" in time or effort. But a larger size of one-use disposable container isn't necessarily an improvement. I prefer a cache where I think “the Cache Owner put a lot of thought into making this one worth finding”. Micro or not.

Edited by kunarion

I placed an ammo box in a park, and after the third time having its contents strewn around (by kids), I removed everything except the log book and cache card. So it has no toys, and nocacher is adding toys, so you find the same thing you find in a Micro -- the log to sign.

And I have a Micro film can with a bunch of favorites. It's a nice spot to visit, but the favs appear to be mostly for the camo. I planned and placed that cache specifically so that cachers would love it.

We probably all share the OP's frustration over bad caches. Some Micros seem to be nothing but a pill bottle statement that “I take a whole mess of prescriptions! Help me?

Many Micros are placed due to requiring no cost, no planning, with no intention of maintenance. But a larger size of one-use disposable container isn't necessarily an improvement. I prefer a cache where I think “the Cache Owner put a lot of thought into making this one worth finding”. Micro or not.

The only thought given to most micros is availability.

<snip>

<snip>

A few years back a new cacher placed a multi in a big box shopping center parking lot that ran you around a bit gathering info to find the final stage. The FTF discovered a bison tube in a guard rail, but when he opened it he found the CO's nitro pills. Seems he left the wrong container at GZ, and was very glad to make the swap when contacted by the FTF.

Who knew that bison tubes had other applications? :rolleyes:

<snip>

<snip>

A few years back a new cacher placed a multi in a big box shopping center parking lot that ran you around a bit gathering info to find the final stage. The FTF discovered a bison tube in a guard rail, but when he opened it he found the CO's nitro pills. Seems he left the wrong container at GZ, and was very glad to make the swap when contacted by the FTF.

Yikes! ;)

<snip>

We probably all share the OP's frustration over bad caches. Some Micros seem to be nothing but a pill bottle statement that "I take a whole mess of prescriptions! Help me?"

<snip>

I've seen some of those large "fake" bison tubes sold as pill containers in a few different chain drug stores. Unfortunately the ones I've tried leak pretty badly, which probably isn't an issue when used as a pill container since they're likely just going to be kept in a pocket or purse.

I understand the weathering of plastic, I think this is an issue with people who don't monitor their caches more than folks like me who check them fairly often.

Two points. First, no matter how well you maintain your cache, the problem is that other people find your cache and think that means it's a good container for them to use. Of course, most of them are not going to be as diligent as you are.

Second, I've seen many, many caches that originally had an owner that monitored and maintained them regularly, but then for one reason or another, the owner stops monitoring the cache closely enough to keep a poor container up. Even conscientious owners lose interest or move or don't have as much time as they used to. The smart COs use good containers even if they plan to visit frequently. That way the cache doesn't degrade if something changes that prevents sufficient maintenance, either permanently or temporarily.

There are multiple sides to this coin, and you are viewing only one side of the issue.

and then...

Geocaching is about the hunt and the find, not about trinkets and toys.

So wait, are there "multiple sides" to the coin, or only your interpretation?

I think for some folks, it IS about trinkets and toys.

Speaking of trends... it seems fashionable now to jump on anyone who complains about tiny caches with both hiking boots. I agree, though, that appealing for moderation in the forums is pretty much useless. The game has changed. It's more necessary than ever to read every cache page or do PQ filters if you want to avoid certain types of caches. Groundspeak has chosen a direction and I don't think it's going back...

That is why you check the size of the cache before you go hunt it. If you aren't interested in micro and nano then avoid them, essentially pretend they don't exist.

And by the way, if you are going to gripe about other people's caches, please don't admit you used a Cool Whip container. Just sayin'............ : ) J/K lol

Edited by onthehuntin702

Ouch! I felt like I was repurposing a viable container-I've seen lots of peanut jars and other washed and clean repurposed food containers that are excellent. I think it's better than the ziplock bag caches I've found. Whatev - I'll couch this in the popular lingo today -"I'm trying to start a conversation about...how to make new caches better"

The problem with a Cool Whip container is that it simply is not thick enough to stand up to nature. Plus, the lid will wear out and stop sealing after it is pulled off and put back on a number of times. When it gets hot, the side will permanently warp and then the lid will not seal at all. If you are dedicated to responding to this when it happens, and it will happen, then no problem. You kept a piece of plastic out of the landfill for a bit. Nothing wrong with that.

Please understand that the folks here are not trying to be critical. They are simply trying to share the experience that they have gained over the years. Of all the plastic containers that you can hide, Gladware and a Cool Whip type container is probably the least resilient to nature.

Nahdogg, for photo examples and discussion about bad cache containers see: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=244760

Hopefully it'll give you some insight into what won't work well when exposed to the elements. Especially if you're next hide is in a spot that you can't visit daily.

I understand the weathering of plastic, I think this is an issue with people who don't monitor their caches more than folks like me who check them fairly often.

Here's the thing. It's not a matter of if your container will fail. It's a matter of when. You already know it will fail, so you've cleared that hurdle. You are not naive, and that's a good thing. You have a maintenance plan to deal with the inevitable failure, which is also a good thing. The obvious down side to your plan is what occurs betwixt the time you check it, and the time I find it. As a cache owner, are you okay with the notion that someone is eventually going to find your cache in deplorable condition? Personally, I am not okay with it. I consider every cacher on the planet to be either a friend, or a potential friend, and I cannot stomach the thought of one of my friends having to deal with a soggy, moldy disaster. Because of this, I only use what my experience has taught me are containers which can stand the test of time in a variety of environments.

Granted, any container can fail, given enough time, and/or improper handling.

But a quality container reduces the odds of failure greatly.

When I find a low quality container left out in nature, my first impression is that here is a cache owner who doesn't care about his/her peers. If Groundspeak were to implement the oft asked for 'Ignore User' feature, those hiders would go on my list first, followed quickly by the folks who carpet bomb entire regions with copy/paste Micro-Spew.

Well, it seems you wanted a discussion on how to improve the game, however you are a few years too late.

At one time Geocaching was a magical game of finding treasure in the woods. Useful items would be left in a "stash" somewhere, and finders would leave a one page note in the logbook to share their journey of the find to future visitors. Geocaches were few and far between, but with trade items worth upwards of $5 or more. Some left silver, gold, and brand new McDonalds toys.

Then one day the nefarious and evil underworld Boggart (who shall not be named) emerged from the armpit of the universe and attended a Mega Event under the guise of distributing multiple geocaches for all to enjoy hiding. The result was thousands of substandard, cheap, leaky, film cans spamming the entire country from coast to coast. Aside from being a maintenance nightmare, many geocachers soon naively copied the procedure which soon actively destroyed the process of trading and writing interesting messages in logbooks. This tore the very heart out of geocaching and was code named by the operative as "ODS" - One Degree of Separation. It's detractors soon renamed it ODIOUS, but it was too late. Early Geocaching had already been effectively destroyed. It's current form is mostly populated by walking cannibalistic zombies who do not trade or write anything, and just graffiti their username on the logsheet. From time to time the devious boggart emerges with his cohorts to keep the zombies in line, and on track to the mind numbing process of traveling from parking lot to parking lot to hastily scratch their cryptonym inside each one.

If you don't like micros just filter them out. :anitongue:

There are multiple sides to this coin, and you are viewing only one side of the issue.

and then...

Geocaching is about the hunt and the find, not about trinkets and toys.

So wait, are there "multiple sides" to the coin, or only your interpretation?

I think for some folks, it IS about trinkets and toys.

Speaking of trends... it seems fashionable now to jump on anyone who complains about tiny caches with both hiking boots. I agree, though, that appealing for moderation in the forums is pretty much useless. The game has changed. It's more necessary than ever to read every cache page or do PQ filters if you want to avoid certain types of caches. Groundspeak has chosen a direction and I don't think it's going back...

The game has changed. There are now three different types of trailside hides in our local mountains.

•  
  • A pill bottle hanging in a tree/bush.
  • A pill bottle placed on the ground and with all the nearby rocks relocated on top of it.
  • Anything hidden over two years ago.

I blame the pharmaceutical companies. :ph34r:

Edited by Don_J

Two points. First, no matter how well you maintain your cache, the problem is that other people find your cache and think that means it's a good container for them to use. Of course, most of them are not going to be as diligent as you are.

Second, I've seen many, many caches that originally had an owner that monitored and maintained them regularly, but then for one reason or another, the owner stops monitoring the cache closely enough to keep a poor container up. Even conscientious owners lose interest or move or don't have as much time as they used to. The smart COs use good containers even if they plan to visit frequently. That way the cache doesn't degrade if something changes that prevents sufficient maintenance, either permanently or temporarily.

Since I walk by my cache at least twice a day and check the contents several times a week I didn't think it could get too badly out of shape. I think you make a good point about other people thinking it's a great container because I'm using it, I hadn't considered that. I chose it simply for size reasons with full intentions of replacing it with a more permanent tupperware style container. I don't think a cool whip container is a good container but I had it at the time and it was the size I wanted for conealabilty/trade items so I went with it.

Edited by nahdogg

The game has changed. There are now three different types of trailside hides in our local mountains.

•  
  • A pill bottle placed on the ground and with all the nearby rocks relocated on top of it.

I blame the seasoning and spice companies for the spice bottles that preceded the pill bottles. :ph34r:

•  

I blame the seasoning and spice companies for the spice bottles that preceded the pill bottles. :ph34r:

Touche'

Well, it seems you wanted a discussion on how to improve the game, however you are a few years too late.

At one time Geocaching was a magical game of finding treasure in the woods. Useful items would be left in a "stash" somewhere, and finders would leave a one page note in the logbook to share their journey of the find to future visitors. Geocaches were few and far between, but with trade items worth upwards of $5 or more. Some left silver, gold, and brand new McDonalds toys.

Then one day the nefarious and evil underworld Boggart (who shall not be named) emerged from the armpit of the universe and attended a Mega Event under the guise of distributing multiple geocaches for all to enjoy hiding. The result was thousands of substandard, cheap, leaky, film cans spamming the entire country from coast to coast. Aside from being a maintenance nightmare, many geocachers soon naively copied the procedure which soon actively destroyed the process of trading and writing interesting messages in logbooks. This tore the very heart out of geocaching and was code named by the operative as "ODS" - One Degree of Separation. It's detractors soon renamed it ODIOUS, but it was too late. Early Geocaching had already been effectively destroyed. It's current form is mostly populated by walking cannibalistic zombies who do not trade or write anything, and just graffiti their username on the logsheet. From time to time the devious boggart emerges with his cohorts to keep the zombies in line, and on track to the mind numbing process of traveling from parking lot to parking lot to hastily scratch their cryptonym inside each one.

:laughing:

Since I walk by my cache at least twice a day and check the contents several times a week I didn't think it could get too badly out of shape. I think you make a good point about other people thinking it's a great container because I'm using it, I hadn't considered that. I chose it simply for size reasons with full intentions of replacing it with a more permanent tupperware style container. I don't think a cool whip container is a good container but I had it at the time and it was the size I wanted for conealabilty/trade items so I went with it.

nahdogg,

Tupperware is probably the worst geocaching container you can buy. In many cases repurposed food containers are actually better. Although Tupperware is usually made of thicker plastic, it is really only intended for kitchen use and still does very poorly outdoors. If you want to purchase a regular-sized container for caching, I would suggest either a Lock 'n' Lock or a good-quality alternate brand. The silicone rubber seal and latching tabs ensure a very good watertight seal. Even the plastic on these better containers can degrade with long-term exposure to the environment. To help improve this, you can either paint the container or cover it with camouflage duct tape. I prefer the duct tape as it seems to stick better and does not flake away like the paint over time. This is especially the case at the "living hinges" on the latching tabs which are already more prone to breakage. The duct tape remains flexible while the paint doesn't.

Then one day the nefarious and evil underworld Boggart (named Snoogans) emerged from the armpit of the universe and attended co-hosted the first official Mega Event under the guise of distributing multiple geocaches for all to enjoy hiding. The result was13 thousand substandard, cheap, leaky, film cans spamming the entire country from coast to coast. Aside from being a maintenance nightmare, many geocachers soon naively copied the procedure which soon actively destroyed the process of trading and writing interesting messages in logbooks. This tore the very heart out of geocaching and was code named by the operative as "ODS" - One Degree of Separation. It's detractors soon renamed it ODIOUS, but it was too late. Early Geocaching had already been effectively destroyed. It's current form is mostly populated by walking cannibalistic zombies who do not trade or write anything, and just graffiti their username on the logsheet. From time to time the devious boggart emerges with his cohorts to keep the zombies in line, and on track to the mind numbing process of traveling from parking lot to parking lot to hastily scratch their cryptonym inside each one.

:laughing::laughing: :laughing:

Lol. That is the best retelling of that page in geocaching history I've read in ages. I fixed some of the facts in your post mainly for the benefit of the OP who wasn't around then.

Seers began to foretell that I would destroy geocaching when I started openly encouraging others to count coup on travel bugs years before the discovery feature legitimized the practice.

I was helpless in the arms of fate when the idea for ODS struck me. The devil made me do it. I was only following orders. :anibad: :anibad:

I love geocaching. I will hug it and hug it and stroke it and squeeze it.... 'Til it don't move no more. :laughing:

Edited by Snoogans

Then one day the nefarious and evil underworld Boggart (named Snoogans) emerged from the armpit of the universe and attended co-hosted the first official Mega Event under the guise of distributing multiple geocaches for all to enjoy hiding. The result was13 thousand substandard, cheap, leaky, film cans spamming the entire country from coast to coast. Aside from being a maintenance nightmare, many geocachers soon naively copied the procedure which soon actively destroyed the process of trading and writing interesting messages in logbooks. This tore the very heart out of geocaching and was code named by the operative as "ODS" - One Degree of Separation. It's detractors soon renamed it ODIOUS, but it was too late. Early Geocaching had already been effectively destroyed. It's current form is mostly populated by walking cannibalistic zombies who do not trade or write anything, and just graffiti their username on the logsheet. From time to time the devious boggart emerges with his cohorts to keep the zombies in line, and on track to the mind numbing process of traveling from parking lot to parking lot to hastily scratch their cryptonym inside each one.

:laughing::laughing: :laughing:

Lol. That is the best retelling of that page in geocaching history I've read in ages. I fixed some of the facts in your post mainly for the benefit of the OP who wasn't around then.

Seers began to foretell that I would destroy geocaching when I started openly encouraging others to count coup on travel bugs years before the discovery feature legitimized the practice.

I was helpless in the arms of fate when the idea for ODS struck me. The devil made me do it. I was only following orders. :anibad: :anibad:

I love geocaching. I will hug it and hug it and stroke it and squeeze it.... 'Til it don't move no more. :laughing:

For those who are brave enough to seek he truth, (as opposed to the sterilized version presented above), read this:

http://coord.info/GC18BPR

Warning: Your reality may never be the same afterwards... :ph34r:

So, who is geocaching for? I thought it was for everyone, all ages, skill levels, etc. We’re all looking for something different and seems there’s enough difference to go around. In the short time I’ve been exposed to this hobby, the grands and I have found cache of various shapes and sizes… from small and more difficult paper only (the thrill on that is in the pursuit and the boy is good, girlie a bit too short for some finds), to larger containers with non-quality stuff inside (we even made a trip to the store to get decent swag to supply some very anemic caches with … then girlie wanted to take our stuff lol). We also found the dreaded wet and rusted altoid tin. We logged anyway. What was sad was seeing a very creative cache broken and strewn about the hiding area. We salvaged what we could, re-hid it, and notified the owner.

Now I’ve gone out and spent tons of $$ to get involved in this thing with the kids, but am becoming a bit concerned that my time/efforts could be easily trashed. I suppose that’s a downside to it all. I just need to learn how to minimize the potential for that happening. Am finding good tips in these forums~

Its called making an effort and time to stock your cache if you just put it out and leave it well...... Kid or adult no one wants to find a nano And there not an added challange there just boring. The challenge would be figuring out these weird puzzles and multis

I disagree-Like I said when used properly a nano can be a a great cache-or part of a great cache. Now the nano in a tree is no fun for me. But look at this video-the actual cache is a nano. It was by far the best cache that everyone who found it loved.

You can't tell me that you group this cache with a micro in a spruce tree. I'll bet you would even go find this one if it was in your area.

ya I agree I'd find that nano if it was cool not just a nano by a bus stop and than when u get to it the logs full or wet.

So, who is geocaching for? I thought it was for everyone, all ages, skill levels, etc. We’re all looking for something different and seems there’s enough difference to go around. In the short time I’ve been exposed to this hobby, the grands and I have found cache of various shapes and sizes… from small and more difficult paper only (the thrill on that is in the pursuit and the boy is good, girlie a bit too short for some finds), to larger containers with non-quality stuff inside (we even made a trip to the store to get decent swag to supply some very anemic caches with … then girlie wanted to take our stuff lol). We also found the dreaded wet and rusted altoid tin. We logged anyway. What was sad was seeing a very creative cache broken and strewn about the hiding area. We salvaged what we could, re-hid it, and notified the owner.

Now I’ve gone out and spent tons of $$ to get involved in this thing with the kids, but am becoming a bit concerned that my time/efforts could be easily trashed. I suppose that’s a downside to it all. I just need to learn how to minimize the potential for that happening. Am finding good tips in these forums~

for adults with bank accounts and cars that's who geocaching is for I was like you thought it as supposed to be a kids game but nope

So, who is geocaching for? I thought it was for everyone, all ages, skill levels, etc. We’re all looking for something different and seems there’s enough difference to go around. In the short time I’ve been exposed to this hobby, the grands and I have found cache of various shapes and sizes… from small and more difficult paper only (the thrill on that is in the pursuit and the boy is good, girlie a bit too short for some finds), to larger containers with non-quality stuff inside (we even made a trip to the store to get decent swag to supply some very anemic caches with … then girlie wanted to take our stuff lol). We also found the dreaded wet and rusted altoid tin. We logged anyway.

Some people are crazy about finding film cans every 528 feet along some highway. There's probably something for everyone, but not everyone prefers every kind of cache. I don't know what the Cache owner who placed an altoids tin was thinking, but I won't ban those containers, just won't hunt that COs caches.

One thing that may help is to attend events with experienced local cachers. One of my occasionally "muggled" ammo boxes is in a spot that was archived years ago due to "muggling". Go figure. But I found out when the veteran cachers mentioned the history of the spot.

So, who is geocaching for? I thought it was for everyone, all ages, skill levels, etc.

It is for everyone-you can't deny that. Some(a lot) of caches don't have swag. That fact means that if all your kids care about is swag then this is not for them. They will be dissapointed when you do find a cache that's large enough for swag, but it's empty. It might cost some money and time to pre-check caches and stock them up. Is it worth the extra time and money to make the kids happy to do something that YOU are the one that wants to do? If yes then keep on, if no, well then take them to McDonalds, or go to the zoo or something that they want to do. Or is it the micro's? As was pointed out before, a micro when used properly can be good. But I'd rather have a micro in a bison tube than a large cache that's a soggy cardboard box. They're no fun you say? I don't have kids but I have cached with young cousins. They didn't hate micros-they were happy when they found them "before I did" Is it the arguments on the forums? The "elitist" attitudes from some people? Sorry, but those are present in everything from kids sports(Think over the top soccer moms) to paintball, to even the schoolyard. The only thing you can do is make the best of it. Set an example to both kids and other cachers by hiding good quality caches in good locations.

I don't know how you spent a ton of $$. I spent $98 to start and bought a real basic GPSr. And you know what? It worked! Free account here. Went to caches near where I happened to be. I was at a campground with family and went to find like 5 caches. After I got more into it, I bought a PM and upgraded GPSr. So I spent about $330 total. I play paintball and spent that much on one paintball gun. I can spend $75 on paint for one day, and that's conservative. I have never spent that much on gas for one day of geocaching. Hockey? You'll spend more than $300 on the stick and skates. Video games-you can spend $330 on a game system and 2 games. Geocaching? A free phone app and basic membership. Walk or bike to caches. Buy 10 Lock and Locks for less than $12. Or you can get a PM at $30, a $600 GPSr, the $10 app and spend up to $20 for an ammo can. Geocaching is only expensive as you want to make it.

for adults with bank accounts and cars that's who geocaching is for I was like you thought it as supposed to be a kids game but nope

How so? Look at my paragraph above. You live an a more cache dense area than I do. I can bike to more than 700 caches. If I feel like going up a couple hills you can make that 1000 caches. FOr my first 6 months I think I spent less than $150 on geocaching.

Edited by T.D.M.22
Enter GPS enabled smart phones. Now anybody can play for free.

Uh, please show me where I can get such a smartphone for free...

BTW: I bought my smartphone specifically for geocaching in the first place (having had bad experience with a car navigation system). :)

There is a lot of truth in what ByronForestPreserve says about caching with kids. I learned in the past two years, that kids are NOT necessarily expecting "cool toys in a big sized cache". My now 6 y/o is happy enjoying a good quality time outside, just for the thrill of finding a cache. Meanwhile he's pretty good at it, sometimes having simply the right angle in spotting a container at first - and what is better to outrun Daddy? :)

Over the first months in this game I always carried a bag of swag with me, to properly trade. Plus, I filtered and researched for "good kids caches". But after meeting a lot of big but still bad containers with rotten swag inside and wondered, why my son wasn't that upset, I realized, that "swag" could be optional. It's the adventure of finding the cache! And I accept it as my responsibility to make it a good adventure.

Now we almost don't trade and are happy as well. I still have a selection of things with me, just in case, but it's very rarely used for something he really wants to have. Most recent thrill is having his own account and signing the log, using his own cool stamp - he's so proud of it. That added a lot of motivation to go seeking, and even a nano will serve the purpose of putting his stamp on the log.

So, it may not be the state of the container placed by some other cacher, but the way _you_ do the whole caching process (with kids). Just my 0.2 EUR.

Edited by BenOw

BTW: I bought my smartphone specifically for geocaching in the first place (having had bad experience with a car navigation system). :)

Even though it's not true, smartphone cachers on the forum are quick to say, "everyone has a smartphone". If that were the case, then there are many free apps that will allow you to geocache. I ran into a group of young men show me the app they were using which didn't even require that they create an account.

I would have to guess that 99.99% of smartphone cachers had their smartphone first, not the other way around such as you.

There is a lot of truth in what ByronForestPreserve says about caching with kids. I learned in the past two years, that kids are NOT necessarily expecting "cool toys in a big sized cache". My now 6 y/o is happy enjoying a good quality time outside, just for the thrill of finding a cache. Meanwhile he's pretty good at it, sometimes having simply the right angle in spotting a container at first - and what is better to outrun Daddy? :)

Over the first months in this game I always carried a bag of swag with me, to properly trade. Plus, I filtered and researched for "good kids caches". But after meeting a lot of big but still bad containers with rotten swag inside and wondered, why my son wasn't that upset, I realized, that "swag" could be optional. It's the adventure of finding the cache! And I accept it as my responsibility to make it a good adventure.

Now we almost don't trade and are happy as well. I still have a selection of things with me, just in case, but it's very rarely used for something he really wants to have. Most recent thrill is having his own account and signing the log, using his own cool stamp - he's so proud of it. That added a lot of motivation to go seeking, and even a nano will serve the purpose of putting his stamp on the log.

So, it may not be the state of the container placed by some other cacher, but the way _you_ do the whole caching process (with kids). Just my 0.2 EUR.

I really like this post. I'm 52 and I approach caching the same way as your 6 year old. I grew up in the city and there were no woods to explore or trails to hike and dad was always busy, so except for the yearly camping trip there wasn't a lot of outdoor recreation. I discovered Geocaching and I discovered hiking and now I never know what I'm going to find around the next turn in trail. It could be a great view or a magnificent oak with branches heading off in every direction.

Your six year old is pretty smart. He's figured out something that a lot of adult geocachers seem to have trouble with. His reward is spending time with his dad, having an adventure along the way, and maybe even beating dad to the cache. He's figured out that a good toy in the box is simply a bonus.

Well if you go to this link there are 6 smart phones for free and another 6 for less than $100. Sign a contract and get the phone for free. Don't want to pay for data? I'll bet every one of those phones has WIFI-Go to Mcdonalds or Starbucks or some place like that.

Sure with the contract it's "free" with quotation marks, but chances are people who would get these would have a cell phone anyway. So it like saying you have to factor the cost of a car/bike/skateboard into geocaching as well. You use it, but you'd use it anyway.

Edit to add that Chief301 PLAY for free.

Edited by T.D.M.22

Well if you go to this link there are 6 smart phones for free and another 6 for less than $100. Sign a contract and get the phone for free.

As you already stated, the "free" is not exactly a free. Plus, the 0$ iPhone responded to me "is no longer available". Tricky advertising and bad calculation skills when buying smartphones are common.

But no worries, I just wanted to state that not all smartphone cachers are the bad example. And if my family is only 0.01% of the good ones (I hope), well, at least there may be some. :)

Additionally, I know "real GPSr cachers" that are far worse. And: coming from evidence based business, I really didn't want to set up a statistic, that sets someone in bad light just from reading the forums and parroting "general knowledge". Not that I accuse anyone here of that, I just don't want to do that myself.

BTW, last year I really weighed up between an outdoor GPSr and a smartphone, then bought the latter even if I didn't use it as phone since then - just up until last week, when my old Nokia died. But this may lead into another thread or can be discussed in private, if someone is interested about my decision. And with the new Garmin Oregon coming out this month, I consider getting one, since that's what I seem to need - will test it first, though.

Back to topic with family friendly caches/caching:

I really like this post. I'm 52 and I approach caching the same way as your 6 year old. I grew up in the city and there were no woods to explore or trails to hike and dad was always busy, so except for the yearly camping trip there wasn't a lot of outdoor recreation.

Thanks! My dad was more an outdoor and sportive type of guy, but rarely took me with him. Then he died some years before his grandson was born, and I meanwhile realized what family time means - or what I may have missed with my dad. So I took the opportunity and dropped a well paid but "nearly 24/7" career in upper engineering management, changed it against a fulfilling job in medical & social care (including paid overtime, so actually I make almost the same per hour than in the old job :) ) with the purpose to have more quality life together with my son and wife. And geocaching is a really wonderful thing to implement that!

Your six year old is pretty smart. He's figured out something that a lot of adult geocachers seem to have trouble with. His reward is spending time with his dad, having an adventure along the way, and maybe even beating dad to the cache. He's figured out that a good toy in the box is simply a bonus.

Yep, and it's real fun for him. Occasionally we take other kids with us, they're quickly at the same level. So my personal experience in geocaching with kids really is that the journey can be the the reward and the cache container just adds some extra fun if well done. This would be my message to the original poster of this thread.

Coming from a totally result oriented career path, that's something new my son tought to me, at age of mid 40! Geocaching: Thanks 1000 times for saving me from Burn-Out and beeing able to give my son some valuable memories about his dad laying in the mud (BTW: there are mud safe cases even for smartphones). :)

So, it's already past 11:00 a.m. on a Sunday and we have a geocaching tour in mind today (my son just searches his toy sword to be prepared for the adventures we may encounter)...see you in the woods!

Found one tonight. A tiny plastic vial stuck in the sand. I thought WTF, is that even a cache? My 5 year old could do better. I'm not totally against micros, but there's a certain point where it gets ridiculous.

Did you post a comment similar to the one you posted here on the cache log? Or just drop a "TFTC", I'm just curious.......

Found one tonight. A tiny plastic vial stuck in the sand. I thought WTF, is that even a cache? My 5 year old could do better. I'm not totally against micros, but there's a certain point where it gets ridiculous.

Did you post a comment similar to the one you posted here on the cache log? Or just drop a "TFTC", I'm just curious.......

On one such vial cache, I logged “Nice cache!”, with a paragraph about the hunt. It had a penny glued to the cap, the penny came off within 4 months, and at 5 months, the whole thing was gone.

So I could have logged “Please hide caches that are more than just a slip of paper”, or do what I did. I allowed the CO to figure it out.

On one such vial cache, I logged “Nice cache!”, with a paragraph about the hunt. It had a penny glued to the cap, the penny came off within 4 months, and at 5 months, the whole thing was gone.

So I could have logged “Please hide caches that are more than just a slip of paper”, or do what I did. I allowed the CO to figure it out.

That's great, except when it's their 500th hide and they still haven't figured it out. But, my attitude is pretty simple. If I know it's a micro and I go look for it and find a micro, I'm not going to criticize the CO in my log for hiding a micro.

That's great, except when it's their 500th hide and they still haven't figured it out. But, my attitude is pretty simple. If I know it's a micro and I go look for it and find a micro, I'm not going to criticize the CO in my log for hiding a micro.

I've reached the Thumper stage in my geocaching evolution.

"If you can't say somethin' nice, don't say nuthin' at all"

On rare occasions, I find caches which are real stinkers. Most of these exist on the smaller end of the size spectrum, but not all of them. When I do find a cache so awful as to prevent me finding anything good to say about it, I walk away with it unlogged.

So far, I'm up to a couple hundred which I've found and not logged.