Caches in the lake

jthurle2

We usually pass a buoy or two while cruising on the lake , I think it would be cool to hide a cach on a buoy or even a lighthouse . My husband thinks I'm crazy? Any thoughts on this ? Has anyone ever searched for a cach while boating?

Would be interested in what people think, maybe I am crazy!

There are caches around lakes in AZ that require boating or suggest boating as the best method of finding them. I know of one that requires scuba gear to reach and another that is on a rock island in the middle of the lake. I have never boated to a cache, but I hope to change that soon. I don't know of any that are connected to a buoy or lighthouse.

Geocache placements must comply with all applicable laws. Be sure to check the laws and regulations governing interference/tampering with a navigational aid. For example, I would not publish a cache hidden on a navigational aid maintained by the United States Coast Guard. For the lake you have in mind, your mileage may vary.

We usually pass a buoy or two while cruising on the lake , I think it would be cool to hide a cach on a buoy or even a lighthouse . My husband thinks I'm crazy? Any thoughts on this ? Has anyone ever searched for a cach while boating?

I see that you live near Lake Ontario, so I guessing that when you say 'the lake', it is Ontario that you are referring to.

Most buoys that are in navigable waters, such as Lake Ontario, you had best consider them as USCG property... unless you know positively otherwise -- even then, somebody owns or is responsible for it. Permission is the key.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Very cool.

Looks like it could be a scene for another Mad Max movie.

Yes, very cool. I vaguely think I stumbled on info on those forts while surfing the web. I'm much more familiar with Mirconation of Sealand Someone should ask them if they want to host a cache. I'll bet they would, they seem to like to promote themselves. Like with all the "official Sealand Merchandise" on the bottom of the page.

Geocache placements must comply with all applicable laws. Be sure to check the laws and regulations governing interference/tampering with a navigational aid. For example, I would not publish a cache hidden on a navigational aid maintained by the United States Coast Guard. For the lake you have in mind, your mileage may vary.

This is the very first thing that came to mind when I read the OP.

I see that you live near Lake Ontario, so I guessing that when you say 'the lake', it is Ontario that you are referring to.

Most buoys that are in navigable waters, such as Lake Ontario, you had best consider them as USCG property... unless you know positively otherwise -- even then, somebody owns or is responsible for it. Permission is the key.

Yes you are absolutely correct! I do not want to mess with the coast guard :)