Help me find the owner of this travel bug.

releasethedogs

found this travel bug today in cache in GCZTCJ. The number is worn completely off. You can still make out a few numbers but so far I have not got the correct numbers but i was hoping some one would recognize the trackable that way we can track down the owner and i can attach something with the correct code.

49436258-0b57-4ed9-9cbe-9e9352e37a7f.jpg

I found at least one source of that coin, if it helps: http://www.worldcach...avel-tag-p-726/

support-our-troops-travel-tag-10629%20Support%20Our%20Troops%20Travel%20Tag-medium-175x177.jpg

Made of aluminum, these fun travelers also

That probably explains the wear.

Edited by knowschad

Don't know if it helps at all, but those "Support our Troops" geocoins have tracking numbers that start with "ST", I believe. Can't tell if those are the digits that are hard to read or if they just all are. :)

how many characters in the code?

is it alphanumeric or only letters?

any one know?

I found a photo of one where someone didn't hide the tracking code. Looks like it's ST _ _ _ _ with both letters and numbers. This one was letter, number, letter, number... but I don't know if that holds true for all of them. I would guess not.

This trackable belongs to me. I marked it lost back in April.

Thank you for finding it.

Tracking # <snip>

You don't want to do that. Never post those numbers on the internet. You'll get in trouble that way.

It doesn't look like [the posted Tracking Number] to me, comparing it to the photo. But the number is pretty much obliterated.

It doesn't look like [the posted Tracking Number] to me, comparing it to the photo. But the number is pretty much obliterated.

You're right. It's not the same travel bug/geocoin. Inqontrol seemed to think it was his because it was the same kind of geocoin/tag, and because the OP posted a note to his trackable page asking if it was his. I do not think that it is the same trackable as was pictured at the top. I doubt Inqontrol's TB had the key attached.

Nevertheless, that number posted by him should not be made public, whether it's the same one or not. It's one of the fundamental rules about all trackables, here.

Tracking # <snip>

You don't want to do that. Never post those numbers on the internet. You'll get in trouble that way.

Yep! Some cacher will discover it just because they saw the number online.

Edited by Totem Clan

found this travel bug today in cache in GCZTCJ. The number is worn completely off. You can still make out a few numbers but so far I have not got the correct numbers but i was hoping some one would recognize the trackable that way we can track down the owner and i can attach something with the correct code.

e255def0-51ac-4228-a1fd-655e64b85887.jpg

49436258-0b57-4ed9-9cbe-9e9352e37a7f.jpg

We have one of these out, but not with a key and not with that cable-type holder. Too bad the codes aren't staying on these better. If I'd known that, I'd have etched it in better before sending it out.

I opened the coin's image in a graphics program (GIMP, but others should work), and tinkered with brightness and contrast. I was able to make out some digits, and get some reasonable guesses at a full tracking code. The system didn't like the tracking codes I tried, but I didn't try too many before giving up.

Perhaps if you took several more high-res pictures of the coin from different angles, and tried this trick. You want lots of contrast, and much less brightness to compensate.

Good luck.

I'm not a particular fan of a lot of these trackables with printed on codes. I have one I picked up recently with, as I expected, the number half worn off. A tag is attached with big, bold letters of the tracking code.

I miss those great dog tag travel bugs of the early days, which were punched. Those will go through quite a lot of wear and still be readable.

You're right. It's not the same travel bug/geocoin. Inqontrol seemed to think it was his because it was the same kind of geocoin/tag, and because the OP posted a note to his trackable page asking if it was his. I do not think that it is the same trackable as was pictured at the top. I doubt Inqontrol's TB had the key attached.

Nevertheless, that number posted by him should not be made public, whether it's the same one or not. It's one of the fundamental rules about all trackables, here.

I looved up as many of these kind of TB as I could before we figured out it is Key to Freedom III.

Tracking # <snip>

Yep! Some cacher will discover it just because they saw the number online.

already happened.

Still waiting for owner of key to freedom III to contact me with the code.

I don't know if you've contacted the owner to Key to Freedom I, but the reason I suggested it, earlier, was because I suspected that the three owners were all members of the same family. The second two look like they might be children, based on their names. The first one seemed like a better bet, even though he is not officially the owner. He might be more responsive.

I don't know if you've contacted the owner to Key to Freedom I, but the reason I suggested it, earlier, was because I suspected that the three owners were all members of the same family. The second two look like they might be children, based on their names. The first one seemed like a better bet, even though he is not officially the owner. He might be more responsive.

Agree. The "owners" of Key to Freedon II and Key to Freedom III are children and probably won't answer e-mails. Can tell that from their geocaching names and logs saying they were caching with their dad who is the owner of Key to Freedom I.

I went to an event and when I picked up the leftover Trackables and started to log them in I saw one coin that was drilled and attached by a wire to something else. I looked up the coin and found the original owner adopted it out to another cacher and deleted the entire history. The coin had been missing for about, if I rememeber, 2 years. I asked the new owner what they wanted me to do. It was suggested I mail it to him. So I did. When he got it he sent me a message about the object the coin was wired to. I told him I didn't really notice. Turned out to be another missing geocoin that had been missing for almost the same amount of time and it wasn't his. He sent me the code and then contacted the owner of that coin.

Who would drill through two coins, attach them and hold them for 2 years and then leave it an event to be found?

Hate to say it but that wasn't the only items I found at that event and others in the same area that had been missing or not logged for over a year. I have an idea who it is but I don't want to mention the name. And no it's not in WA.

I went to an event and when I picked up the leftover Trackables and started to log them in I saw one coin that was drilled and attached by a wire to something else. I looked up the coin and found the original owner adopted it out to another cacher and deleted the entire history. The coin had been missing for about, if I rememeber, 2 years. I asked the new owner what they wanted me to do. It was suggested I mail it to him. So I did. When he got it he sent me a message about the object the coin was wired to. I told him I didn't really notice. Turned out to be another missing geocoin that had been missing for almost the same amount of time and it wasn't his. He sent me the code and then contacted the owner of that coin.

Who would drill through two coins, attach them and hold them for 2 years and then leave it an event to be found?

Hate to say it but that wasn't the only items I found at that event and others in the same area that had been missing or not logged for over a year. I have an idea who it is but I don't want to mention the name. And no it's not in WA.

At least their conscience got to them enough that they threw them back in the game. Kudos to you for making them right again.

I lost mine sometime last summer it was last seen at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=081d9c24-4352-4d44-91a0-bc48f5678b3e by Brooks83 they were the last ones to log it. y support the troops coin had a plastic sleeve with pictures and thestory behind it if the owner of this one hasnt been found I have a number that can be bounced off of the vsible numbers on this coin let me know if you are still looking for the owner

I'm not a particular fan of a lot of these trackables with printed on codes. I have one I picked up recently with, as I expected, the number half worn off. A tag is attached with big, bold letters of the tracking code.

I miss those great dog tag travel bugs of the early days, which were punched. Those will go through quite a lot of wear and still be readable.

We concur. That is one of the reasons we started using geocoins with holes drilled through them for TB tags. Another alternative is blank dog tags (just search for "blank dog tag" under shopping in Google), which you can stamp yourself. Number and letter punch sets can be had at McMaster-Carr, just search using that term.

Edited by Zekester & Simon