Who will have the 2,000,000th cache hidden?

Ahern Clan

As Groundspeak nears the 2 million mark on active caches, I think they should consider publicizing it and perhaps offer a token reward to the person who ends up with that magic cache. Perhaps a lifetime premium membership? A 'souvenier' to those that just happen to log a cache the day the numbers roll over? Just a thought - but definitely a milestone to be proud of and recognized in a grand way!

Though I like the sentiment, I am not sure I like this idea. The primary reason is that it is kind of a meaningless mark. The 2 million is a measure of active caches. Most likely the moment the 2 millionth active cache comes into play then some other cache somewhere in the world will be archived. and then some other person will get the next 2 millionth or something. Kind of makes it less of a milestone when there is no guarantee it will only be hit once.

<_< Who Cares?

Do you know how many caches are out there that are as I would say JUNK. ZipLock Baggie covered in Duct Tape, give me a break. Or some Glass jar placed behind a bush near a Park.

I could go on but this just my experience. Caching should take folks to a real nice spot and they could have a great experience. Remember, this is just me saying this....

Though I like the sentiment, I am not sure I like this idea. The primary reason is that it is kind of a meaningless mark. The 2 million is a measure of active caches. Most likely the moment the 2 millionth active cache comes into play then some other cache somewhere in the world will be archived. and then some other person will get the next 2 millionth or something. Kind of makes it less of a milestone when there is no guarantee it will only be hit once.

Groundspeak recognizes March 8th, 2010 as the day their 1 milliionth cache was published on their timeline. Yes, numbers come and go, and for all we know they may have it waiting to be published like MtnMutt-ProDuckShins thinks. But nonetheless its a milestone to be proud of and I think it should be celebrated or rewarded. Acts as an incentive for others to hide a cache or two.

<_< Who Cares?

1. I do

2. Groundspeak does (since they list it on their page)

3. You do, otherwise you wouldn't have replied.

As for the quality of the caches you have issues with or what their purpose should be is a different subject. I was merely making a comment or suggestion that we members be somehow rewarded for the cache that gets published on # 2M.

For all we know, it may already have been hidden. The "active" cache number is just that--doesn't take into consideration those that have been archived. Could there be more than 45,518 of those? If so, #2M has been hidden.

True, but instead of 'active' they can go by 'published', which in your theory may have happened. I think now that they are more mainstream and better technology/software can keep pace, there will be a day they will have 2 million 'active' caches. Semantics, but something I think should be recognized to some degree. If Leap Day can be recognized with a souvenier, anything can.

For all we know, it may already have been hidden. The "active" cache number is just that--doesn't take into consideration those that have been archived. Could there be more than 45,518 of those? If so, #2M has been hidden.

True, but instead of 'active' they can go by 'published', which in your theory may have happened. I think now that they are more mainstream and better technology/software can keep pace, there will be a day they will have 2 million 'active' caches. Semantics, but something I think should be recognized to some degree. If Leap Day can be recognized with a souvenier, anything can.

It isn't semantics...

2 Millionth Cache Hidden and 2 Millionth Active Cache are two very different things...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

It isn't semantics...

2 Millionth Cache Hidden and 2,000,000 Millionth Active Cache are two very different things...

True. I have no doubt the 2 millionth cache has already been hidden.

Edited by briansnat

As Groundspeak nears the 2 million mark on active caches, I think they should consider publicizing it and perhaps offer a token reward to the person who ends up with that magic cache. Perhaps a lifetime premium membership? A 'souvenier' to those that just happen to log a cache the day the numbers roll over? Just a thought - but definitely a milestone to be proud of and recognized in a grand way!

I think you are kind of on the right track. I can claim that one of the caches I hid was the 1,000,000 active cache on March 8, 2010. The cache is called Bridge Over Water, two and the GC is GC24NYH., It is just a 1/1, mainly so that anyone could find it. So, somewhere out there will be number 2,000,000. Cache on.

We can know the 2 millionth cache page created, though not all cache corresponding to cache pages have been published. Cache page number 2 million was this cache, hidden over two years ago and since archived.

This cache was number 3 million, and was hidden last June. We are at about 3.4 million now.

Something easier to measure is the number of a log. We are about 284 million logs posted. A prize for the 300 millionth would work.

Hmmm....seems like Groundspeak is considering the celebration of the 2 millionth active hide....http://blog.geocaching.com/

I wondered a couple months ago if they would. I hope they give something to the lucky 'chosen' cacher. Just saying.

I hope they give something to the lucky 'chosen' cacher.

Whoever that is. Will all of the 2,000,000th caches be recognized, or just one? With the constant publishing and archiving, the number will probably go past 2,000,000 in both directions many times before finally settling above it. I don't see why a cache needs to be recognized. Let's just celebrate the number reaching 2,000,000.

...it'll probably be an LPC that gets archived for non-maintenance within the first 6 months anyway...

Whoever that is. Will all of the 2,000,000th caches be recognized, or just one? With the constant publishing and archiving, the number will probably go past 2,000,000 in both directions many times before finally settling above it. I don't see why a cache needs to be recognized. Let's just celebrate the number reaching 2,000,000.

...it'll probably be an LPC that gets archived for non-maintenance within the first 6 months anyway...

+1

However, it looks like Groundspeak shockingly does appear to be considering honoring the 2,000,000th active cache. I totally agree with A-Team. I think it could go back and forth a couple times. I've been around this forum way too long, and have seen people shot down dozens of times when they ask what the 1,000,000th active cache was, or what the 2,000,000th active cache will be, and were told it's a dynamic situation, and impossible to figure out for sure.

Of course I've been wrong before, I'm sure I will again. :lol:

Edit to add "active" caches for clarity.

Edit #2: By the way, this quote at the very end of yesterdays blog post on the official blog did not escape my attention, for all you defenders of lame out there:

While we’re excited to reach the 2 millionth geocache, we’re in no rush to get there. If you’re considering placing a geocache, remember – only quality geocaches need apply!

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Even better than an LPC at 2,000,000 would be #567 of a power trail.

Has anyone ever created a LPC power trail? Asking for a friend.

Back when Power trails were not not allowed, and "don't place a cache every 528 feet because you can" was enforced, a cache placer got a commercial shopping strip in suburban Youngstown, Ohio blocked from further cache placements under the Power trail clause. No, I'm not making that up, although I don't have a link. There was a thread. :)

So that being said, it's quite possible anywhere in suburbia of a sizeable American City. Or anywhere in the entire State of New Jersey. :ph34r:

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I predict it will be in Germany or The Czech Republic. Because they're crazy for caching over there these days. :lol:

And from what I have seen, they are much better at it than here in the USA. They still move trackables even, and they don't go MIA on the first drop. :laughing: It would be fun to own part of geocaching history, maybe someone will make a collecters card for it? B)