A Traditional Without a Conatiner

geocat_

Was on a cache run to Richmond, IN when we came across this curious listing http://coord.info/GC1ENCZ

So basically the CO is sooooooooooooo lazy that he/she would rather add this to the description than go replace the container:

UPDATE: Container is missing. But come & enjoy this spot if you like scenic places. The system will not let me change cache type to Virtual a.k.a. Earth cache.

CO hasn't signed on in almost a year and a half so I can assume this has been a "Virtual" cache for at least that long. I can't quite figure out why it has not been archived, aside from the fact that apparently everyone still claims a smiley here (including me) and just moves on. Thoughts?

Thanks for calling attention to this non-conforming cache. I've logged a "Needs Archived" to bring it to the attention of the Indiana volunteer cache reviewers. To answer why you couldn't figure out why it hasn't yet been archived, one reason is because nobody logged "Needs Archived" until now. With so many thousands of caches to keep track of, volunteer cache reviewers appreciate when examples like this are brought to their attention.

You may wish to prompt the other members of your geocaching group from that trip to modify their "copy and paste" logs, which refer to signing the log sheet. It makes for a confusing record.

I can't quite figure out why it has not been archived, aside from the fact that apparently everyone still claims a smiley here (including me) and just moves on.

This is the biggest reason why problem caches fester for so long. If you see a cache that's violating the guidelines (blatantly in this case), don't just claim the smiley and ignore the problem. Contact the CO, and if that doesn't go anywhere, notify a reviewer.

Thanks for calling attention to this non-conforming cache. I've logged a "Needs Archived" to bring it to the attention of the Indiana volunteer cache reviewers. To answer why you couldn't figure out why it hasn't yet been archived, one reason is because nobody logged "Needs Archived" until now. With so many thousands of caches to keep track of, volunteer cache reviewers appreciate when examples like this are brought to their attention.

You may wish to prompt the other members of your geocaching group from that trip to modify their "copy and paste" logs, which refer to signing the log sheet. It makes for a confusing record.

Good move. I have run across a few of those where the CO allows logs for missing containers. One was especially bad since it was a several mile hike in (I know I should have read the logs first) to find it was missing and inappropriate logs were being allowed. I enjoyed the view and logged a NA. Just like the many before me should have.

"My signature will be on the log before I claim a find. Wet logs, missing caches, forgotten pen, damaged caches, caches out of my reach, caches rusted shut, etc, etc, get either a DNF or a note.

All hail the signed logbook, the hallmark of a true Geocacher!" - geoCATing

Irony?

geoCATing :)Found it 11/18/2012

Thanks for nuthin'

Well, they could have at least scratched "geocache" into a water bottle before they left. :P

"My signature will be on the log before I claim a find. Wet logs, missing caches, forgotten pen, damaged caches, caches out of my reach, caches rusted shut, etc, etc, get either a DNF or a note.

Irony?

+1

The sub-title is "a new twist on virtuals". This ain't new. :lol: When I started in 2003, there was a 2001 placed, and went missing after 6 months cache near me that was "converted to a virtual" with just wording on the cache page, in this same manner. I never "found" it, and he was caught around 2004 or so. I seem to have memory of dozens of people from other areas pulling this stunt back then, when virtuals were still accepted. I can neither confirm nor deny that I myself once logged a psuedo virtual in Disney World. :ph34r:

It is definitely very uncommon to see this in 2012. I don't even want to think how many people went there looking for a container. :huh:

Good move. I have run across a few of those where the CO allows logs for missing containers. One was especially bad since it was a several mile hike in (I know I should have read the logs first) to find it was missing and inappropriate logs were being allowed. I enjoyed the view and logged a NA. Just like the many before me should have.

Perhaps there are other reasons to read the logs before hiking several miles, if the cache was really your only goal, but to discover that the cache isn't there and everyone knows it isn't there shouldn't be one of them. Very annoying of the CO and -- even more so -- anyone that turned a blind eye to the problem.

Cache in question is now archived.

That said, anyone who has a signature line like this:

My signature will be on the log before I claim a find. . . . [M]issing caches . . . get either a DNF or a note.

still has ample opportunity to change their "found it" log to a DNF or a note, as the archived cache is not locked.

That, or they might want to edit their signatures.

(Just sayin'.)

Edited by hzoi

So it took all of about an hour from the Needs Archive log to the actual archival of the cache.

I am aware of a couple of caches which were *temporarily* marked with "it's okay to log the cache until I get a chance to replace the container". One was archived fairly quickly, and I'm not sure what the current status is for that other.

It doesn't seem like reviewers allow much time for a CO to address the problem of turning a traditional into a virtual, even for a very short temporary amount of time. Meanwhile, I can recall several threads about "Needs Archived" logs on cache for a long time before a reviewer gets around to archiving the cache.

If the CO hasn't been on in nearly a year, it's doubtful if they'll come on just because of one crummy log, even if it is an NA. Plus, a traditional can not be turned into a virtual. 1) Virts are no longer allowed, 2) CO's don't have the "authority", and 3) Reviewers will not.

Frankly, I'm surprised it took the whole hour.

So it took all of about an hour from the Needs Archive log to the actual archival of the cache.

I am aware of a couple of caches which were *temporarily* marked with "it's okay to log the cache until I get a chance to replace the container". One was archived fairly quickly, and I'm not sure what the current status is for that other.

It doesn't seem like reviewers allow much time for a CO to address the problem of turning a traditional into a virtual, even for a very short temporary amount of time. Meanwhile, I can recall several threads about "Needs Archived" logs on cache for a long time before a reviewer gets around to archiving the cache.

The CO changed the cache page back in 2011. Plenty of time to replace the container and stay within the Guidelines.

01/01/2011

Was about to log this as a DNF but read the description...container missing. Since it is now an unofficial earth cache, I did find it...about 15 minutes worth :)

I find it interesting that the CO changed the cache page because the system "will not let me change cache type to Virtual a.k.a. Earth cache"

Virtual a.k.a. Earth cache???? Is that commentary or a complete misunderstanding of EarthCaches?

B.

Edited by Pup Patrol

Check out the other cache by the same CO:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=ec01859f-8833-43fc-9edd-e0a5e15b73aa

Published: 09/08/2009

Found once: 09/11/2009

DNF's, NM, NA, Temporarily Disabled

Reviewer note: 01/24/2010

Archived: 03/14/2010

B.

Irony?

Irony indeed! :lol:

Geeze....tough crowd for Thanksgiving week :) HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Here's to me logging the 1 out of over 4100 caches that I didn't sign :D

It's never too late to change that smiley to a note. Come join us Puritans and make it an extra special Thanksgiving!

OR. just change your sig line. You can't profess your allegiance to the "signed logbook" in the same post as you claim a find on a cache you admittedly didn't sign. This seems to be beyond irony and into hypocrisy.

Geeze....tough crowd for Thanksgiving week :) HAPPY THANKSGIVING! Here's to me logging the 1 out of over 4100 caches that I didn't sign :D

It's never too late to change that smiley to a note. Come join us Puritans and make it an extra special Thanksgiving!

f91480d6-b8a7-49f3-906a-0c16331036bd.jpg

Either way, happy Thanksgivng!

Edited by hzoi

OR. just change your sig line. You can't profess your allegiance to the "signed logbook" in the same post as you claim a find on a cache you admittedly didn't sign. This seems to be beyond irony and into hypocrisy.

Thanks! I had been meaning to change that for a while. Happy now? :P

Well, you have to admit, the whole Puritan angle and Thanksgiving is rather funny. Except I don't understand the two Canadians piping in. Tomorrow's just another ol' Thursday at the office for them. :ph34r:

Well, you have to admit, the whole Puritan angle and Thanksgiving is rather funny. Except I don't understand the two Canadians piping in. Tomorrow's just another ol' Thursday at the office for them. :ph34r:

Puritan thing was funny and clever tongue.gif Oh, the Canadians are piping in because they have all that extra time with no NHL laugh.gif (I should know because I am a hockey fan too!)

Puritan thing was funny and clever tongue.gif Oh, the Canadians are piping in because they have all that extra time with no NHL laugh.gif (I should know because I am a hockey fan too!)

On Saturday I'm going to be in Madison Square Garden to watch the Cornell Men's Hockey team (I'm a season ticket holder) play Michigan. It may be the only Hockey game played at MSG this winter. At the beginning of the season the Cornell mens team was ranked #4 in the country but they've had a rough start and have dropped to #13. The Cornell womens team is ranked #2 in the U.S. and has 4-5 players that are on the Canadian National team.

I'm also staying a bit north of the city Friday night (and near MSG on Saturday) and hope to do a bit of geocaching while out for a long weekend.