Remove event's as find's

bri13

Most events that I have attended have a log book to sign. Ink on paper = Found It. :anitongue:

Well said + some have containers and travelbugs.

Not according to Groundspeak, when an event is involved ink on paper = attended.

Or in some cases attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended........etc.

Edited by Roman!

Most events that I have attended have a log book to sign. Ink on paper = Found It. :anitongue:

Not according to Groundspeak, when an event is involved ink on paper = attended.

Or in some cases attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended attended........etc.

Actually, Groundspeak has indicated that a log isn't required for an event and signing the log (if there is one) shouldn't be a requirement for logging 'Attended'.

But it really doesn't matter as ink on paper ≠ online find. An online log is something that cachers do after they find a cache. For many this provides a method to keep track of what they have found. Cache owners are supposed to delete bogus logs and some may check the physical log for a signature. But owners are not required to check log books or delete online logs that appear to be legitimate.

The so-call find count is simply a count given by the website that tallies the number of online Found It, Attended, and Photo Taken logs. It has been mentioned earlier in this thread the historic reason why Attended and Photo Taken logs are counted along with Found It logs.

Those who do not want to count certain listings are free to log those as Notes or not log them as all. I can't comprehend why someone should get their knickers in a twist over what someone else counts (or even counts multiple times).

Edited by tozainamboku

I have seen what you discribe, I think. :unsure: But I will agree with you on the attended vs found. One event that I attended the geocaches were not published on this site, only the event. Geocaches were hidden in the Park and picked up after the event. The coordinates and discriptions were handed out, and a few users logged the attended for each of the 25 or so geocaches they found. That would only mess up my events attended count. But if you look at my 107 hides vs my 596 finds in 4 years, that should tell you which side of geocaching that I enjoy. I Waymark also, but I don't log my own listings which seems common practice. :D

Actually, Groundspeak has indicated that a log isn't required for an event and signing the log (if there is one) shouldn't be a requirement for logging 'Attended'.

But it really doesn't matter as ink on paper ≠ online find. An online log is something that cachers do after they find a cache. For many this provides a method to keep track of what they have found. Cache owners are supposed to delete bogus logs and some may check the physical log for a signature. But owners are not required to check log books or delete online logs that appear to be legitimate.

The so-call find count is simply a count given by the website that tallies the number of online Found It, Attended, and Photo Taken logs. It has been mentioned earlier in this thread the historic reason why Attended and Photo Taken logs are counted along with Found It logs.

Those who do not want to count certain listings are free to log those as Notes or not log them as all. I can't comprehend why someone should get their knickers in a twist over what someone else counts (or even counts multiple times).

First of all I do not own any knickers and obviously by thinking they were in a twist you know nothing about me, I just enjoy stirring the pot a bit every now and then, nothing more, nothing less.

First of all I do not own any knickers and obviously by thinking they were in a twist you know nothing about me, I just enjoy stirring the pot a bit every now and then, nothing more, nothing less.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Toz to whip out the old "knickers in a twist" line. When I see people in Ohio attend events 125 times for "caches" that are 200 feet apart, I merely shake my head, and feel sorry for them for subjecting themselves to a pathetic public attempt at pumping up their numbers. Mad is the last thing I am. :)

Yeah, I wouldn't expect Toz to whip out the old "knickers in a twist" line. When I see people in Ohio attend events 125 times for "caches" that are 200 feet apart, I merely shake my head, and feel sorry for them for subjecting themselves to a pathetic public attempt at pumping up their numbers. Mad is the last thing I am. :)

Why is everyone ripping on Ohio? I realize it's not the most exciting state in the country, but at least we aren't Kansas and we do have Cedar Point and Hocking Hills. Am I missing something?

Why is everyone ripping on Ohio? I realize it's not the most exciting state in the country, but at least we aren't Kansas and we do have Cedar Point and Hocking Hills. Am I missing something?

Oh, in a very specific section of the State, there is an annual event where they put out 125 temporary caches 200-300 feet apart (again, the guideline for a "real" cache is 528 feet apart), and people log that they attended this event 125 times. And this occurs on a smaller scale at other events in that small region. I love Ohio! Been there twice in the last 3 years. Hocking Hills I have not been to, but I've seen pictures, and it looks amazing. Hopefully I will still be welcome at MWGB. Which is in an area where they don't do that temporary cache thing, by the way. :lol:

Groundspeak should remove cache events from the " numbers" . Seems there are way to many events and only 7-8 people attend ( atleast around peoria,il.). If it's a mega event, atleast 50-100 people attend that would be great. So many hide styles have been taking away do away with all these little events. Seems people are just trying to juke there numbers. It's time to get out and find good caches...

For the few events that are held the number of "finds" is minimal and in the end who really cares. I do attend quite a few events, about 40 last year and hosted about 5 and no I do not count my own events as finds, but I do not have a problem with people who do. It my area Mega by defintion is 500 plus. Our local events usually draw 35 to 40 people and are a great way to hook up with other cachers, eat food, discuss geocaches, plan geo trips and discovered TB's. In the end the numbers only matter to the cacher who owns them.

For the few events that are held the number of "finds" is minimal and in the end who really cares. I do attend quite a few events, about 40 last year and hosted about 5 and no I do not count my own events as finds, but I do not have a problem with people who do. It my area Mega by defintion is 500 plus. Our local events usually draw 35 to 40 people and are a great way to hook up with other cachers, eat food, discuss geocaches, plan geo trips and discovered TB's. In the end the numbers only matter to the cacher who owns them.

Wow, that's quite a prolific event attendee and host for someone less than a year and a half in. I've certainly never seen anything like that, but maybe you live in an area without that many caches or cachers. Oh, and Mega is 500 by definition world-wide. :)

We just attended an event where no address was given ... just coords, and we actually couldn't find it at first!

Just as hard to find as some of the caches We've found ... actually, harder!

For any cacher who wasn't able to find the event, IMHO a DNF would have been perfectly appropriate.

I vote for keeping the "Attended" type log for those who want to use it and actually found the place, and reinstating the DNF log for those who couldn't (or, like me, showed up on the wrong day). The best of both worlds. :D

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

Groundspeak should remove cache events from the " numbers" . Seems there are way to many events and only 7-8 people attend ( atleast around peoria,il.). If it's a mega event, atleast 50-100 people attend that would be great. So many hide styles have been taking away do away with all these little events. Seems people are just trying to juke there numbers. It's time to get out and find good caches...

If you don't like events, don't go.

If you don't like them counting as finds, don't log them.

If you're worried that other players are looking to raise their numbers by going to events, you need something new to worry about.

If (as you say) Peoria has tiny events, throw a big one. Show them how it's done.

Or, don't worry about what doesn't affect you, and go caching.

I am still trying ti figure out which flip is flopping with the purists who tear down anymention of virtuals "because they arent containers and that is what geocaching is about - finding containers" but events are ok. While I do not agree with the OP, I understand his point.

Who are these purists? If you're talking about people who agree with every decision the company Groundspeak has ever made over the years what a cache is, I wouldn't call them purists. I wouldn't know what to call them. Sheep? Groundspeak Fanboy's maybe? :laughing:

I am still trying ti figure out which flip is flopping with the purists who tear down anymention of virtuals "because they arent containers and that is what geocaching is about - finding containers" but events are ok. While I do not agree with the OP, I understand his point.

Who are these purists? If you're talking about people who agree with every decision the company Groundspeak has ever made over the years what a cache is, I wouldn't call them purists. I wouldn't know what to call them. Sheep? Groundspeak Fanboy's maybe? :laughing:

There is an official title for them and role for them - I plead the 5th though.

Oh, I see where you're going with that, never mind. That doesn't mean every single one of them agrees with all the decisions at the top though. :)

Oh, I see where you're going with that, never mind. That doesn't mean every single one of them agrees with all the decisions at the top though. :)

Eh, I have seen evidence to the contrary. It is like a collective. Never send a private message to one - it is shared, dissected and processed.

Is there a prize for the person with the most found caches to their name? I don't see why people get so hung up on other peoples numbers. At the time of writing I have 30 finds, I have enjoyed every one of them. One of my caching friends has more than double my finds in the same amount of time caching. His numbers don't impact on my enjoyment. I don't feel less of a cacher for not keeping up with him.

If a rule in the game is broken or will effect the safety of players then change it, but changing the rules because it impacts on a meaningless number, I don't see the point.

bri, it's a little odd that you bring this up yet still have 7 events logged. If you don't think they're finds, delete your attended logs.