Handheld GPS

aganga01

I just went through this selection process and ended up with the Garmin 62sc. I have only had it about a week and been on two caching runs with my wife but I like it so far. Maybe I have just been lucky but so far it has gotten me to within 3-4 feet of GZ. I t seems to be more accurate then my Iphone.

It would help if we had an idea of the amount of money that you would like to spend.

Spend as much as you can. I bought one with a compass pointing the direction, and a distance from the cache. I had to input the co-ord by hand. For closer to $200 you can get maps, you can download the co-ords and even hints and descriptions to the GPSr. I have the Magellan Explorist GC for under $200. I'd recommend it. Look for a GPSr that supports paperless caching-that will let you have hints and descriptions and previous logs on your GPSr.

Colonial Cats is right. If you go 'cheap', you will promptly outgrow your unit, and ultimately upgrade anyway.

You should skip that first step (saving that money), and kick your purchase up one step.

Oh-so many of us have "been there, done that"!

If you want an easy to use GPS, within that price range, and you only want it for Geocaching then the GC will work for you. However, if you want a GPS for hiking, biking and other things besides Geocaching then consider the Magellan eXplorist 310 ($156 on Amazon).

David

Magellan Insider

I would go with the etrex 20 at amazon. Add a cheap micro sd card from newegg and you can add all the Free topo and driving maps you want. Maps do help. I have an explorist 310 for backup and it is ok, but if you want to go cheap go for the explorist gc.

Got my 20 through Amazon and City Navigator from Garmin. Came to a little over 200 bucks.

Thanks all for the suggestions. I now at least know where to start my search. That explorist sounds great. I'm using just my Android now and I will only be using the handheld gps unit for geocaching. I like the color display and maps and tips idea but I can always use my phone for that stuff. Thanks all!