IT'S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS

Ma & Pa

Caching is not simply about going out and finding caches. Caching can take over your life. Here are some of the positive aspects of caching which keep us busy, active and mentally fit.:

*Making new friends

*Events

*Travel

*Spending the day caching with friends

*Meeting cachers in far away places (UK, USA, Other provinces)

*Caching adventures

*Hiking & Biking

*Discovering back roads and new places

*Entertaining the grandsons

*Solving puzzles

*Learning and using new software and hardware.

*Reading interesting logs

*Corresponding with cachers about puzzles, etc

*Moving TB’s and coins

*Reading forums and other caching sites

*Writing in forums

*Learning and sharing techniques for hides, camo etc.

*Enjoying & Marvelling at some of the wonderful intrigung caches.

*ETC ETC.

All the above are positive aspects. You will note that I did not mention numbers. When many cachers refer to numbers it is often used as a negative part of geocaching. When you hear IT’S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS, it is generally a knock against some practice that the person does not like.

Before going on, I have to say that we all cache in our own way. I have no problem with individuals who cache differently than us and claim differently than us. I also do not think that caches that were mishandled were necessarily as a result of the number game.

Here are a few of the negative references we may have heard:

*Going after long series of guard rail caches

*In a hurry to get numbers and not closing containers properly

*Logging simply: TFTC or a happy face, especially with a smartphone

*Putting a throw down in order to get credit for a find without looking properly

*Going with a group and not bothering to sign, or not even seeing the cache being claimed

*Getting the puzzle coordinates from someone other than the owner

*Claiming a puzzle while caching with a group, but not solving the puzzle.

*Cachers do streaks so they can brag

*Cachers get high one-day numbers so they can brag

*Cachers with high totals just want to brag.

*There is cheating going on.

*Power trails are not real caching.

*ETC ETC

As I said, I do not agree with these comments, but that is not what I want to talk about. I feel that numbers are an important positive part of caching. Here are some of my opinions about numbers and some examples of positive aspects and examples.

*We use numbers as an incentive to go out and challenge ourselves, not to compete or brag.

*Cachers get high numbers because they are retired, or do not have children, or have a spouse or partner who also caches or are healthy and fit, etc.. It is not because of talent.

*We are on a streak right now of over 230 days. Our longest is 275 days. It is not to brag, it is just a challenge to see what we can do, and it gives us a plan for each day and something to do each day. We know that streaks are a problem for those who work or who have most of the caches in an area, but we have the time, so we have done well, and managed to continue the streak through our trips to PA, VA and CA and UK. Our streak will end the same as the last one. at the end of the year because we will likely be at sea on a cruise.

*We love numbers. We have created 136 math logic puzzle caches

*We love numbers. Did you know that on 11/11/11, our cache total was 11011.

*Geocaching is not a competitive sport. We use our stats to compete against ourself and to try and better our previous personal records. We do not use them to compete against others. I dont know anyone who tries to compete against others.

*We look at the numbers on our stats page often to give ourselves challenges. I know many do the same. It makes caching more interesting.

*Using the Stats page, you can aim to fill your year. Like many others, we filled our year on Feb 29 this year.. Ma now wants to have five caches for each day of the year. Its no big deal, it is simply a challenge we are giving ourselves.

*When we returned from UK at the end of September 2011, the Stats page showed our count for the year at around 1400. This was far behind our year 2010 total of 2506, and was even behind our year 2009 total. In order to better year 2010, we would need 1100 caches by the end of December. It seemed like an impossible goal but we kept it in the back of our mind. Well, the weather in October & November was cooperative so we had a few trips to PEI to do the Confederation Trail (CT)caches on our bikes and surprisingly we beat last year’s record before the end of November.

*Related to the previous item is the fact that we were very pleased to hit 10000 a few days after returning from UK in late September. We never would have guessed that we would hit 11000 less than 2 months later.

*Chignecto Duo (Mr) and Belladan joined us for two days on PEI and we got 182 cachess in one day on the CT. We were extremely pleased. But it is really no big deal and nothing to brag about. There were four of us on bicycles. Any other other group of four could do as well, if not better.

*The stats page also told us that June 2012 was our best month of caching. We were surprised that we beat our numbers for last November.

*We are not competitive and our ranking does not mean anything to us. We therefore found it interesting that our son and his girlfriend, who are not geocachers, were really impressed when they found out that we were in the top 400 in the world. We hadnt realized it didnt think it was a big deal.

*Cachers at the top of the lists are great people. They get their numbers because they love caching and have the time or make the time to go caching. These cachers love to share their knowledge and expertise with others. I recall Opus Terra, the #1 in Canada, giving a GSAK session at the Quebec Mega.

*Cachers with high numbers love caching. Nozzletime from Ontario was the tops in Canada a few years ago. He is far down the list now, but is still out there geocaching. Many other cachers have been overtaken by others but they are still out there caching. LIke I said, cachers cache because they love it, not to get numbers.

I feel that numbers are an important positive part of caching.

That might well be true for you, but is not necessarily true for others. The numbers have influenced the way I'm able to perform geocaching in the way I prefer to the negative. Powertrails and series of traditionals with a bonus cache have replaced multi caches which are my preferred cache type. While I can decide to visit only some of them or log only part of them, there is no replacement for being needing just a single cache description per hike and the possibility to report all my experiences in one single log where it really belongs to. I certainly do not want to praise a single quite irrelevant traditional which is one out of 50 for the overall experience of the hike. The same would apply to favourite points. For me it is absurd that quite ordinary bonus caches have tons of favourite points because the favourite points refer to the whole tour and not the single cache.

Cezanne

*Making new friends

*Events

*Travel

*Caching adventures

*Hiking & Biking

*Solving puzzles

*Moving TB’s and coins

*Writing in forums

I've been caching since 2001 and have yet to reach a thousands finds. I think my biggest day of caching was around 10 finds. I've gone almost two months at a stretch without a find. Even with my meager find count I've done everything on that list except entertaining my grandsons - because I don't have any. You don't need to focus on numbers to do anything on that list.

And I'm sure I could draw up a list nearly as long stating why I think an emphasis on numbers is a bad thing.

*Making new friends

*Events

*Travel

*Caching adventures

*Hiking & Biking

*Solving puzzles

*Moving TB’s and coins

*Writing in forums

I've been caching since 2001 and have yet to reach a thousands finds. I think my biggest day of caching was around 10 finds. I've gone almost two months at a stretch without a find. Even with my meager find count I've done everything on that list except entertaining my grandsons - because I don't have any. You don't need to focus on numbers to do anything on that list.

And I'm sure I could draw up a list nearly as long stating why I think an emphasis on numbers is a bad thing.

I agree that the list you quote is not related to numbers, in fact I never said it was. My list to do with numbers is further down my post. The above list has to do with how geocaching keeps us busy. We are retired and spend a few hours each day doing caching activities. MA has now solved 150 puzzles in the Ottawa area and we hope to grab a bunch of them on our next visit

Edited by Ma & Pa

Interesting post from a 12,000+ find retired couple. It's rather long, and I'm still digesting it. :D Do high number cachers brag? I don't necessarily think so. I've met and cached with Alamogul, he's a great guy, and not the least bit arrogant or braggy. He's also very fast, and hard to keep up with. And you mention Nozzletime, one time No. 1 finder in Canada. Yep, met him, and great guy again. He is not even close to being retired by the way. :laughing:

Ultimately, I accept your primary point that high numbers people love caching, and are not necessarily about the number of caches they have found. But I like being taken to great locations, and have never felt the need to find anything and everything that manages to get listed on this website as a Geocache. I'm a user and supporter of Alternative Geocaching websites. I do Waymarks (visited 118, 4 last week). I do Geocaching Challenges. Visited an awesome one last week.

So I guess put me down for "it's not all just caching". Give me a Terracache, a Waymark, or a Geocaching Challenge in a great spot over that LPC in the Wal-Mart parking lot, that we all know is on private property without permission in violation of the guidelines anyways. :)

Interesting post from a 12,000+ find retired couple. It's rather long, and I'm still digesting it. :D Do high number cachers brag? I don't necessarily think so. I've met and cached with Alamogul, he's a great guy, and not the least bit arrogant or braggy. He's also very fast, and hard to keep up with. And you mention Nozzletime, one time No. 1 finder in Canada. Yep, met him, and great guy again. He is not even close to being retired by the way. :laughing:

Ultimately, I accept your primary point that high numbers people love caching, and are not necessarily about the number of caches they have found. But I like being taken to great locations, and have never felt the need to find anything and everything that manages to get listed on this website as a Geocache. I'm a user and supporter of Alternative Geocaching websites. I do Waymarks (visited 118, 4 last week). I do Geocaching Challenges. Visited an awesome one last week.

So I guess put me down for "it's not all just caching". Give me a Terracache, a Waymark, or a Geocaching Challenge in a great spot over that LPC in the Wal-Mart parking lot, that we all know is on private property without permission in violation of the guidelines anyways. :)

It is amusing to see that "numbers" people seem to be those who claim to not be concerned about them, and watching them deny it.

More finds = more chances to run into people.

And I'm pretty sure that you won't be so dishonest as to claim that all Terracaches, Waymarks, Geocaching Challenges, ForSquare waypoints, & etc. take you to great spots and that none are on private property. :lol:

Snobs, I say. B)

Way too long to respond to any of the specific things, even as you said if you do not agree with all the points. Look, I like numbers and I like good caches. I have focused on getting caches of late based on their age, usually those are in nice places. Have been getting my earth cache and virtual #s up and at the same, usually finding nice places for the family to visit. I do not like caching just for sheer bulk numbers, but I think there is nothing wrong with getting numbers and enjoying the caches at the same time. Next time I heading south, I am going to get a cache with a "93" in the title, just for a challenge in Utah.

*Cachers with high numbers love caching. Nozzletime from Ontario was the tops in Canada a few years ago. He is far down the list now, but is still out there geocaching. Many other cachers have been overtaken by others but they are still out there caching. LIke I said, cachers cache because they love it, not to get numbers.

I hope you're not suggesting that the number of caches found is any sort of an accurate metric for ones love of geocaching. There are all sorts of factors which can contribute to how many geocaches someone has found.

Starting many years ago helps.

A retired couple simply has a lot more opportunities to go caching than someone that works full time and has family obligations.

Someone that lives in a place like Ottawa has 4190 caches to find within 30 miles. If you lived in Beijing, China you'd have 105 available to find.

I hope you're not suggesting that the number of caches found is any sort of an accurate metric for ones love of geocaching. There are all sorts of factors which can contribute to how many geocaches someone has found.

Starting many years ago helps.

A retired couple simply has a lot more opportunities to go caching than someone that works full time and has family obligations.

Someone that lives in a place like Ottawa has 4190 caches to find within 30 miles. If you lived in Beijing, China you'd have 105 available to find.

blah, blah, bla, blah < substitute for a lot of words I refrained from using, not a comment on or summary of your post.

Fact is, the more you find, the more involved you are (excluding pontificating on these forums). Involved may or may not equal love, but it means more involvement, by definition.

It is amusing to see that "numbers" people seem to be those who claim to not be concerned about them, and watching them deny it.

And I'm pretty sure that you won't be so dishonest as to claim that all Terracaches, Waymarks, Geocaching Challenges, ForSquare waypoints, & etc. take you to great spots and that none are on private property. :lol:

Snobs, I say. B)

Snob? OK, yes. For example, I took a mini-vacaction in Geneva, NY this week (Finger Lakes), and the two closest caches to the hotel were parking lot micros. Did I drive by them about 15 times, and find caches in town on the local college campus (placed by an employee) and along the lakeshore downtown? Yes I did. Well yeah, I never mentioned Foursquare, but I do that too. Apparently over 3,000 times in two years. :laughing:

I stand by my major point. I don't need to find anything and everything that manages to get listed as a Geocache on Geocaching.com. I do other stuff. Or I drive right by them and keep going. I am not a slave to anything that has a waypoint and a cache page is something I need to find.

Snobs, I say. B)

Snob? OK, yes. For example, I took a mini-vacaction in Geneva, NY this week (Finger Lakes), and the two closest caches to the hotel were parking lot micros. Did I drive by them about 15 times, and find caches in town on the local college campus (placed by an employee) and along the lakeshore downtown? Yes I did. Well yeah, I never mentioned Foursquare, but I do that too. Apparently over 3,000 times in two years. :laughing:

I stand by my major point. I don't need to find anything and everything that manages to get listed as a Geocache on Geocaching.com. I do other stuff. Or I drive right by them and keep going. I am not a slave to anything that has a waypoint and a cache page is something I need to find.

I don't need to find anything and everything, either.

But I don't make a point of bitching complaining talking about the ones I choose not to practically every day on the forum, either.

Snobs, I say. B)

But I don't make a point of bitching complaining talking about the ones I choose not to practically every day on the forum, either.

Maybe because they don't meet the guidelines, and should have never been listed on this website in the first place, but are listed under an "assume permission, and look the other way" policy? I'm OK with that. I will always be OK with that. :lol:

By the way, you don't see the difference with me using my GPS enabled smart phone to click on an "I'm here" button with my fingernail at Wal-Mart, as opposed to acting like a k00k out in their parking lot, and lifting up a bolt weather cover to find an object that was placed there without permission? I can't help you there, then.

Snobs, I say. B)

Maybe because they don't meet the guidelines, and should have never been listed on this website in the first place, but are listed under an "assume permission, and look the other way" policy? I'm OK with that. I will always be OK with that. :lol:

By the way, you don't see the difference with me using my GPS enabled smart phone to click on an "I'm here" button with my fingernail at Wal-Mart, as opposed to acting like a k00k out in their parking lot, and lifting up a bolt weather cover to find an object that was placed there without permission? I can't help you there, then.

You're OK with that, but feel it necessary to mention it (too) often...check.

It's less k00ky to just click "I'm here"...check.

You can't help me...nah, I learn a lot from y'all anti-numbers, wise old timer, forum jockey types...just not exactly what you intend ;)

I'm just trying to provide some balance for the newbies who will see this thread with a good proportion of the "numbers-poohers" weighing in. Seems a few are missing so far, one is on vacation & another seems to be "challenged" lately, but I'm sure they'll weigh in eventually. :D

Newbies: There's nothing intrinsically wrong with numbers and I'm pretty sure that Wal-Mart has realized that people are molesting light poles in their parking lots on a regular basis. Caches there are a handy way to figure out where to go if you need a quick battery fix or other emergency caching supplies. ;)

I leave good comments when the credit is due. If I find a cache that took a whole 4 seconds of thought to hide, I will just leave a quick ":)" or "found". If I find a cache that I really appreciate and can see someone put effort in, I write a good little bit to make the CO know that I liked what he/she did.

I leave good comments when the credit is due. If I find a cache that took a whole 4 seconds of thought to hide, I will just leave a quick ":)" or "found". If I find a cache that I really appreciate and can see someone put effort in, I write a good little bit to make the CO know that I liked what he/she did.

This is pretty much my stance. I've done a lot of park and grabs, and a few challenging caches as well. I'm working my way up the difficulty scale because I'm slowly accumulating myself to doing trails etc. I plan on focusing on harder to reach or find caches just for the personal challenge... but this doesn't mean that if I'm at a local restaurant that has a cache in the parking lot that I will pass on the opportunity to find it.

I'm not discriminate.. perhaps when I enjoy the game for a number of years I'll become more particular but at this time if I can go for a walk around my town or vacation spot and grab a few easy park and grab style caches while I get exercise.. well it is just another motivator to keep me active.

I'm still new to the game but caching has already taken me to beautiful scenic spots that I would have never wondered to, businesses that I would have never shopped at, spots that I always said "I would like to visit there..." but never did, and places that I pass every day or know very well from the car window or walking by but never stopped to appreciate.

I appreciate the game for how it makes me feel, and how I enjoy it. I often dislike some caches but since I went out of my way to grab it I log it... I just take note of what I don't like so I don't do those types when I start placing my own caches... but I'm meticulous and enjoy building things.. so when I venture into that area I'll probably throw maximum effort into it.

Snobs, I say. B)

You can't help me...nah, I learn a lot from y'all anti-numbers, wise old timer, forum jockey types...just not exactly what you intend ;)

I'm just trying to provide some balance for the newbies who will see this thread with a good proportion of the "numbers-poohers" weighing in. Seems a few are missing so far, one is on vacation & another seems to be "challenged" lately, but I'm sure they'll weigh in eventually. :D

Newbies: There's nothing intrinsically wrong with numbers and I'm pretty sure that Wal-Mart has realized that people are molesting light poles in their parking lots on a regular basis. Caches there are a handy way to figure out where to go if you need a quick battery fix or other emergency caching supplies. ;)

I have to admit, I was getting slightly aggravated, and wondered what the heck I said today to set you off! Yes, I admit to being a "forum junkie". But hey, I'm no where's near the top posters. :lol: This post here is very nice though, and I can see where you're going with the whole balance thing. Haven't seen you around here for ages, by the way. I will, however, never back down from the fact you don't need to run out and find everything listed on this website, everywhere you go though.

Snobs, I say. B)

I'll agree with that if you put in the word "responsible" in there. Numbers caching can have a negative effect on the rest of the game if done irresponsibly however, and that's where my beef lies. Permission issues, trampling an area jsut to get the cache, negative run ins with law enforcement, etc....

So newbies, if you can play nice, please play any way you want. If your actions are going to affect the way my like minded cachers and I play the game, be prepared to hear negative statements about the way you do things :rolleyes:

Snobs, I say. B)

Coincidentally, I did the same thing in Buffalo awhile back. There were two caches about equidistant from the hotel I was staying at (each at about 300 feet) that I drove by several times. Since the whole area nearby consisted of business and parking lots it didn't look like either cache would have been much fun.

While in Geneva, did you find the one along the shoreline with all the goose poop nearby?

SORRY ABOUT THE LENGTH OF MY POST TO START THIS THREAD. IT WAS SO LONG THAT THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE GOT LOST.

It was a reaction to all those innocent threads that somehow get turned into anti-numbers threads.

MA and I are retired and have more time than most people to devote to our geocaching obsession. For that reason we are able to get good numbers and to meet challenges.

I started the thread by listing the variety of positive non-number aspects of geocaching. I tried to show that geocaching is a lot more than just searching for caches.

I then tried to give a list of personal examples of how we give ourselves challenges and motivate ourselves using the numbers and statistics.

MA really does want me to live by the motto below

PA

Edited by Ma & Pa

I think it is a cool thread :-)

offcourse numbers mean a thing, if nothing maters, why display it the first place ?

I to got a quite interesting profile, my streak is finnally higher than my slumb :-)

to day I plan to find at least 2, just to do it, ok the streak must go on,

but it really makes me happy, it is no ugly job that has to be done,

I do it cos it makes ME happy, to see how long I can keep doing it,

it gets harder (more fun actually) every day, I get a kick out of that fact too,

where will this adventure bring me ?

I know I will see alot more new places.

will I get late home or late at work every day -

if I choose to go on until forever ?

some people got a streak that is alot higher than mine, and still go on,

how do they manage this ? it must mean alot of driving every day :-)

Make the list. I want to see what I can add to it .

I have been caching for 9.5 years and have just over 1103 caches found and close to 90 in the hide column.

Someday Brian & I will be among the utmost cool trend setters for long term involvement with low find count. B)

I'm proud of my low numbers. I love to look at my stats. Especially the one that shows most of my finds being 1000 or more miles from home.

My favorite number is the number of folks that have told me they enjoyed my caches and the ones that have named their experience with one of my caches either the best or among their best experiences with geocaching. That means a whole lot to me.

My favorite number is the number of folks that have told me they enjoyed my caches and the ones that have named their experience with one of my caches either the best or among their best experiences with geocaching. That means a whole lot to me.

Well I certainly cannot argue with that. One of the best part of geocaching is getting logs or emails thanking us for our caches

Here is part of a log we got.

WOW WOW WOW. This is the last micrologic that we did on our NB’s ma & pa caching trip. My sister, cleo23, her two granddaughters, Katiekin and Reysecakes and I, buddysally, planned this trip about a year ago. We live in Ottawa and Sudbury, and had previously done all ma & pa’s micrologic puzzles in the Ottawa and Gatineau area. We enjoyed them so much that we decided to do all the NB ones too, and plan a trip around them;

This is a once in a life time achievement for us; something off our bucket list. Can’t believe we got it all done; we were flying!!!! We travelled over 4500 miles to get this completed; but it was sooooooo worth it. This whole trip has been one of the highlights of my life. There are no words; how can we ever express to ma & pa how much all there hard work in putting out and maintaining these puzzles has meant to us; thanks for the caches, just doesn’t seem adequate. We also had the opportunity to meet ma and pa in person and enjoy a wonderful barbeque at thier home and also to meet their two grandsons, Ben and Jake. Wonderful, awesome, fantastic experience. We will always cherish this trip. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING.

Well I certainly cannot argue with that. One of the best part of geocaching is getting logs or emails thanking us for our caches

WOW WOW WOW. This is the last micrologic that we did on our NB’s ma & pa caching trip. My sister, cleo23, her two granddaughters, Katiekin and Reysecakes and I, buddysally, planned this trip about a year ago. We live in Ottawa and Sudbury, and had previously done all ma & pa’s micrologic puzzles in the Ottawa and Gatineau area. We enjoyed them so much that we decided to do all the NB ones too, and plan a trip around them;

This is a once in a life time achievement for us; something off our bucket list. Can’t believe we got it all done; we were flying!!!! We travelled over 4500 miles to get this completed; but it was sooooooo worth it. This whole trip has been one of the highlights of my life. There are no words; how can we ever express to ma & pa how much all there hard work in putting out and maintaining these puzzles has meant to us; thanks for the caches, just doesn’t seem adequate. We also had the opportunity to meet ma and pa in person and enjoy a wonderful barbeque at thier home and also to meet their two grandsons, Ben and Jake. Wonderful, awesome, fantastic experience. We will always cherish this trip. THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR EVERYTHING.

I have one 5/5 cache, Claustrophobic's Nightmare, that gets glowing DNFs. People are just thrilled to be in such a neat spot.

That's another number I'm proud of.

What I took from the original post is this: Some people have lots of free time, and spend most of it caching. They love it. And because they are caching most of the time, their find count also increases. That doesn't mean they are focused on the numbers or any of the negative "stereotypes" which go with large find counts.

Makes sense to me. I met a couple at an event on Saturday with 25,000+ finds. They told me they cache pretty much full time. They are retired, they travel around in a mobile home vehicle and find tons of caches. Now I've not looked at their finds in details to see if they avoid all park and grabs or not, but most of their finds are in the countryside and you need to walk to.

I suppose if you cache for 12 hours a day but only do the hardest most remote caches you might only find 2 a day... so 700 a year. But in most areas, caching a lot will mean relatively high find counts. And there is nothing wrong with that.

There is also nothing wrong with caching less often, and being particular about what caches you go for. You can still love caching, have great experiences, and a low find count.

Conclusion: Numbers don't matter. Find the caches you like and as many of them as you like. Have fun.

Conclusion: Numbers don't matter. Find the caches you like and as many of them as you like. Have fun.

Well said. Fun is the key word.

I personally don't care if some people obsess over numbers and try to hit as many easy park and grabs as they can. As long as they're enjoying themselves and playing responsibly I say good for them.

I have one 5/5 cache, Claustrophobic's Nightmare, that gets glowing DNFs. People are just thrilled to be in such a neat spot.

Don't get me started on crack! :rolleyes:

You could have PAF'd me. I know folks get signal there. :anibad:

I'll agree with that if you put in the word "responsible" in there. Numbers caching can have a negative effect on the rest of the game if done irresponsibly however, and that's where my beef lies. Permission issues, trampling an area jsut to get the cache, negative run ins with law enforcement, etc....

So newbies, if you can play nice, please play any way you want. If your actions are going to affect the way my like minded cachers and I play the game, be prepared to hear negative statements about the way you do things :rolleyes:

Man is this off track. I don't know what I said that set Jumpin' Jack cache off. Are they mad that I met Alamogul? I could drop the name of a 30,000+ finder whose house I've been in, and has a TB named after me. :lol: Trust me JJC, no newbie is reading 10 consecutive posts by 2 posters, and thinking something is intrinsically wrong with numbers. The only advice newbies need is to stop logging our caches en-masse with 2 word or less lame logs. :ph34r:

While in Geneva, did you find the one along the shoreline with all the goose poop nearby?

I don't think so. Did the virt, and the lock-n-lock by the pedestrian tunnel. Did not do the one at the boathouse, or the multi, Mrs. Yuck wasn't interested. There's a nano I definitely wasn't interested in. That's pretty much about everything, right?

On topic, thats a good post by Redsox Mark a few posts up. There is nothing wrong with having lots of time, and finding lots of caches. But I will of course not back down from my first post to the thread, before I became somone's personal target; I don't consider all caches listed here to be "equal", and I don't have to find them all. :)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Snobs, I say. B)

Once I realized that I could do that, Geocaching became much more enjoyable. The thing is, if I felt like it I'd have grabbed those LPCs. The only cache that I will pass up every time is the one in the bowels of a news rack. I don't have a problem with most of the lame hides, but I'm not a slave to them. If I'm in the area and I need a diversion or to blow off a few minutes, I'll grab it. I would never make a special trip for one. There was a LPC in the parking lot of the supermarket that I shopped at every week. One year after it was placed I just happened to park in front of that pole, so I grabbed the cache. For a year I passed it up because I didn't feel like walking across the parking lot. My "numbers" just come naturally. I just look for the caches that I want to find and take advantage of opportunities as they come. When I started, finding 1/10th of what I have seemed impossible.

Man is this off track. I don't know what I said that set Jumpin' Jack cache off. Are they mad that I met Alamogul? I could drop the name of a 30,000+ finder whose house I've been in, and has a TB named after me. :lol: Trust me JJC, no newbie is reading 10 consecutive posts by 2 posters, and thinking something is intrinsically wrong with numbers. The only advice newbies need is to stop logging our caches en-masse with 2 word or less lame logs. :ph34r:

I don't think so. Did the virt, and the lock-n-lock by the pedestrian tunnel. Did not do the one at the boathouse, or the multi, Mrs. Yuck wasn't interested. There's a nano I definitely wasn't interested in. That's pretty much about everything, right?

On topic, thats a good post by Redsox Mark a few posts up. There is nothing wrong with having lots of time, and finding lots of caches. But I will of course not back down from my first post to the thread, before I became somone's personal target; I don't consider all caches listed here to be "equal", and I don't have to find them all. :)

You sound racist! All caches are equal, some are black, some are white, some are bad, some are good, some are nasty, and some are lame. But they all are the same, one smiley each.

*keep in mind that I am joking around*

This!

I have a unique urban cache. Many, many times when the cachers come from other areas to get their 100 finds in a day, they post 99 cut and paste logs and then the log for my cache.

off course numbers mean a thing, if nothing maters, why display it the first place ?

I wish I had the option to suppress my find count, but apparently people need to be able to judge me by my count so that's probably never going to be a feature that GC management will offer.

Snobs, I say. B)

Once I realized that I could do that, Geocaching became much more enjoyable. The thing is, if I felt like it I'd have grabbed those LPCs. The only cache that I will pass up every time is the one in the bowels of a news rack. I don't have a problem with most of the lame hides, but I'm not a slave to them. If I'm in the area and I need a diversion or to blow off a few minutes, I'll grab it. I would never make a special trip for one. There was a LPC in the parking lot of the supermarket that I shopped at every week. One year after it was placed I just happened to park in front of that pole, so I grabbed the cache. For a year I passed it up because I didn't feel like walking across the parking lot. My "numbers" just come naturally. I just look for the caches that I want to find and take advantage of opportunities as they come. When I started, finding 1/10th of what I have seemed impossible.

+1. I love the 'ignore listing' link.

You could have PAF'd me. I know folks get signal there. :anibad:

I had the phone in my hand but couldn't pull the trigger....it just wouldn't have felt right.

It hardly detracts at all from one of our best geocaching adventures.

Maybe next time I'll have 4 WD.....it will almost be like cheating.

My comment, or the discussion in general?

<declined to quote due to length>

Hardly set off or targeting anyone. It was just turning into the same thing. Someone dared to post a positive post about numbers and the first two replies were negative. It gets old and tiresome. Yours wasn't actually that negative and I actually tend to agree with you (TWU ) on more points than you might think. Come to think of it, I'm not really sure why I replied to yours.

I've met and am friends with folks with find counts on both ends of the spectrum, and all in between. That's the number that means most to me. I've met some that I could do without meeting again, too, and found caches that didn't do much for me (yes, I logged them).

My point is that the numbers-haters tend to jump in and take over any thread that mentions numbers. Numbers happen when one caches a lot, it doesn't necessarily follow that one caches a lot just to get numbers. I think that was what PA was trying to say.

My comment, or the discussion in general?

Discussion in general. :P

Make the list. I want to see what I can add to it .

I have been caching for 9.5 years and have just over 1103 caches found and close to 90 in the hide column.

Someday Brian & I will be among the utmost cool trend setters for long term involvement with low find count. B)

I'm proud of my low numbers. I love to look at my stats. Especially the one that shows most of my finds being 1000 or more miles from home.

I'd never be able to with the low numbers over a long period of time with you and Brian, mostly because I *did* care somewhat about the numbers up to the point I got my 1000th find. When I was getting close I was told by a local cacher that she was planning on placing a 1000 finds golden ammo can for me to log as my 1000th find and wondered when I would get to 999 so she knew when to have the cache published. In the few days prior I went out and found every cache that I could get to set up for my 1000th. I think it was #997 that was a leaky hide-a-key hidden close to a very smelly garbage bin next to a Chinese restaurant. It was at that point I thought, "Is finding a cache just for the numbers really what I want to be doing if it means searching for a leaky plastic container in a really unpleasant location?" Once I hit, 1000 finds my find rate dropped significantly.

Instead of focusing on total find count, I also can look at my stats and see that in a little over five years I've found caches in 23 U.S. States and 13 countries (and hopefully will be adding three more in the next week). I like seeing that almost 10% of my finds are 1000 miles or further from home. I like watching my "total cache-to-cache distance" grow (currently at over 150000 miles) and will be adding almost 20,000 miles to it in the next week.

I also have a few caches that many of those that have found them will spend a little extra time to recognize it as a cut above others they found (and not just by anonymously added a favorite point) and one in particular that several people have written that it's their favorite find so far.

Would I like to spend more time finding caches, and as a result increasing my find count? Sure, but not at the expense of a balance in my life. Spending less time caching has allowed me to get back into some of my other hobbies (yes, believe it or not, some geocachers can have multiple hobbies), spend more time with my family and excel in my work (which, ironically allows me to travel to far away places where I can do some geocaching). When I read some posts, it sounds like geocaching has completely taken over some peoples lives. Personally, I'd rather have a little more balance.

Caching is not simply about going out and finding caches. Caching can take over your life. Here are some of the positive aspects of caching which keep us busy, active and mentally fit.:

*Making new friends

*Events

*Travel

*Caching adventures

*Hiking & Biking

*Solving puzzles

*Moving TB’s and coins

*Writing in forums

*ETC ETC.

All the above are positive aspects. You will note that I did not mention numbers. When many cachers refer to numbers it is often used as a negative part of geocaching. When you hear IT’S ALL ABOUT THE NUMBERS, it is generally a knock against some practice that the person does not like.

Before going on, I have to say that we all cache in our own way. I have no problem with individuals who cache differently than us and claim differently than us. I also do not think that caches that were mishandled were necessarily as a result of the number game.

Here are a few of the negative references we may have heard:

*Going after long series of guard rail caches

*In a hurry to get numbers and not closing containers properly

*Logging simply: TFTC or a happy face, especially with a smartphone

*Putting a throw down in order to get credit for a find without looking properly

*Going with a group and not bothering to sign, or not even seeing the cache being claimed

*Getting the puzzle coordinates from someone other than the owner

*Claiming a puzzle while caching with a group, but not solving the puzzle.

*Cachers do streaks so they can brag

*Cachers get high one-day numbers so they can brag

*Cachers with high totals just want to brag.

*There is cheating going on.

*Power trails are not real caching.

*ETC ETC

As I said, I do not agree with these comments, but that is not what I want to talk about. I feel that numbers are an important positive part of caching. Here are some of my opinions about numbers and some examples of positive aspects and examples.

*We use numbers as an incentive to go out and challenge ourselves, not to compete or brag.

*Cachers get high numbers because they are retired, or do not have children, or have a spouse or partner who also caches or are healthy and fit, etc.. It is not because of talent.

*We are on a streak right now of over 230 days. Our longest is 275 days. It is not to brag, it is just a challenge to see what we can do, and it gives us a plan for each day and something to do each day. We know that streaks are a problem for those who work or who have most of the caches in an area, but we have the time, so we have done well, and managed to continue the streak through our trips to PA, VA and CA and UK. Our streak will end the same as the last one. at the end of the year because we will likely be at sea on a cruise.

*We love numbers. We have created 136 math logic puzzle caches

*We love numbers. Did you know that on 11/11/11, our cache total was 11011.

*Geocaching is not a competitive sport. We use our stats to compete against ourself and to try and better our previous personal records. We do not use them to compete against others. I dont know anyone who tries to compete against others.

*We look at the numbers on our stats page often to give ourselves challenges. I know many do the same. It makes caching more interesting.

*Using the Stats page, you can aim to fill your year. Like many others, we filled our year on Feb 29 this year.. Ma now wants to have five caches for each day of the year. Its no big deal, it is simply a challenge we are giving ourselves.

*When we returned from UK at the end of September 2011, the Stats page showed our count for the year at around 1400. This was far behind our year 2010 total of 2506, and was even behind our year 2009 total. In order to better year 2010, we would need 1100 caches by the end of December. It seemed like an impossible goal but we kept it in the back of our mind. Well, the weather in October & November was cooperative so we had a few trips to PEI to do the Confederation Trail (CT)caches on our bikes and surprisingly we beat last year’s record before the end of November.

*Related to the previous item is the fact that we were very pleased to hit 10000 a few days after returning from UK in late September. We never would have guessed that we would hit 11000 less than 2 months later.

*Chignecto Duo (Mr) and Belladan joined us for two days on PEI and we got 182 cachess in one day on the CT. We were extremely pleased. But it is really no big deal and nothing to brag about. There were four of us on bicycles. Any other other group of four could do as well, if not better.

*The stats page also told us that June 2012 was our best month of caching. We were surprised that we beat our numbers for last November.

*We are not competitive and our ranking does not mean anything to us. We therefore found it interesting that our son and his girlfriend, who are not geocachers, were really impressed when they found out that we were in the top 400 in the world. We hadnt realized it didnt think it was a big deal.

*Cachers at the top of the lists are great people. They get their numbers because they love caching and have the time or make the time to go caching. These cachers love to share their knowledge and expertise with others. I recall Opus Terra, the #1 in Canada, giving a GSAK session at the Quebec Mega.

+1

I started not after numbers and then I got addicted to it. But I can say I did only one (real) Power Trail. Only did a small amount and quit in a Cache Machine, not be a FTF hound (but I still go find them but not race to them) and not cache so much with "you know who"

Edited by jellis

a few days ago we got together with some other cachers friends, and desided to see how many we could find in 1½ hr

just to try it, but we really wanted to perform good, so it was super fun,

also alot of running, jumping, finding fast, signing, navigating,

super cool teamwork is needed, and a driver with a patient mind :-)

we found 47, a result we are very proud of, it is 2mins pr cache in avarage,

we now wanted to try more, find more and over longer time, to test our skils and health level,

it is ALOT of hardwork, and a compleetly different game, we had so much fun.

was it ALL about the numbers ?? I say it was ALL about having fun..

The only number that catches my eye is the Favorites number. I cache because it takes me places not on any tourist map. I have been shown spectacular, outstanding places that no map, no tour guide, no Google Earth could show me.

That is why I cache. In fact, I am about to head to the Keys and about 4 miles beyond where I had planned to go is a spot that is now the most anticipated part of our trip...all because of a cache. I would have never known about this awesome spot had it not been for a cache to draw me there. I can't count the NUMBER of times this has been repeated. It's like a secret guide to awesomeness. 4 miles beyond where we were would have stopped will now be a spot of memories for not only me but my wife and kids. They will get to feed tarpon by hand! Toss "Hungry Tarpon" into the cache name search and you'll see what I'm talking about. Click on the photos link.

Thank you cachers, thank you.

The only number that catches my eye is the Favorites number. I cache because it takes me places not on any tourist map. I have been shown spectacular, outstanding places that no map, no tour guide, no Google Earth could show me.

That is why I cache. In fact, I am about to head to the Keys and about 4 miles beyond where I had planned to go is a spot that is now the most anticipated part of our trip...all because of a cache. I would have never known about this awesome spot had it not been for a cache to draw me there. I can't count the NUMBER of times this has been repeated. It's like a secret guide to awesomeness. 4 miles beyond where we were would have stopped will now be a spot of memories for not only me but my wife and kids. They will get to feed tarpon by hand! Toss "Hungry Tarpon" into the cache name search and you'll see what I'm talking about. Click on the photos link.

Yep favorites are a good number too. I checked out the Hungry Tarpon cache (link http://coord.info/GCMQJX ) and it certainly looked like great fun.

Here is a cache around here with 79 finds and 54 favorites

http://coord.info/GC3057X

Yep favorites are a good number too. I checked out the Hungry Tarpon cache (link http://coord.info/GCMQJX ) and it certainly looked like great fun.

Here is a cache around here with 79 finds and 54 favorites

http://coord.info/GC3057X

Another example of a cache that took us to a place you would NEVER find without geocaching. The trail doesn't go there, you would walk right past it if not for geo: http://coord.info/GC20K7G