Geocache moved by another cacher

sak&pets

Has anyone ever had their geocache moved by another cacher? I placed a new cache last week. One person found it then it wasn't found again. Stopped by yesterday to find it was missing. I disabled the cache and then the FTF cacher emailed me to tell me he moved it and rehid it somewhere else. He claims it was a foot away but it was across the path by another tree 10-15 feet away. What is the purpose in moving someone else's cache? My daughter helped me hide the cache and we were both excited about the hide because I felt it was our best one yet.

Has anyone ever had their geocache moved by another cacher? I placed a new cache last week. One person found it then it wasn't found again. Stopped by yesterday to find it was missing. I disabled the cache and then the FTF cacher emailed me to tell me he moved it and rehid it somewhere else. He claims it was a foot away but it was across the path by another tree 10-15 feet away. What is the purpose in moving someone else's cache? My daughter helped me hide the cache and we were both excited about the hide because I felt it was our best one yet.

I had one found in the morning and then had the cache go completely missing by the early afternoon :(

Sometimes people think the cache should be placed closer to where their gps says it should be. Not realizing that there are conditions that cause drift. Just ask if they moved it.

- And give you a favorite to boot. That is odd.

Good to see you were able to find it.

We had one that drifted around a bit when finders in a rush couldn't quite remember where they grabbed it. Took us almost an hour to find it once.

We now try to find an uncommon spot in an area to lower the chance for error.

Sometimes people forgot where they found it.

Sometimes people move it to a 'better spot'.

A bit of fishing line will prevent any future problems. :)

Ditto. I like the 'hid it better' logs the most. After continually selecting a 'better spot' by fellow seekers you end up spending an hour trying to find your own cache. To be honest I gave up once after running out of patience, but I left the online listing running and it keeps receiving smilies. I'm sure I'll find my own cache when I have more time and will add a few feet of fishing line. Cool idea.

You've seen a few reasons by now that I'm posting. But keep in mind, what this guy did is not the norm. Tell him not to move any of your caches any more. :)

I can't stand people not following the rules. It's etiquette to put to container back where you found it. If you think there is a better spot, you suggest it to the CO -- you don't move it.

By moving a cache you make it harder for others (including the owner) to find it again. Besides, if you move it "closer" to the coordinates you have, you are not considering your GPS may be off.

My 1st cache was moved and I could not find it -so I just put another one and then people started finding both of them. Once that happen People were braging on finding them both due to reading the logs. Now I didn't know what to do so I left them both out there. One got bitten and leaked which ended the Dual cache!