What to do?

While out on a cache yesterday with my nephew I took a few to teach him about a historical item there. While there he moves some stuff at the base and finds a geocache complete with official sticker and blank logbook inside. I doubt this happens often and I still can't quite believe it, but there it was. It was obvious this thing had been there awhile, but I didn't show it on my gps even though everything near me is loaded onto it. I checked here just to make sure and still nothing.

So my question is this: Should I do anything with it? Mark it and put it into play, remove it as trash, leave it in hopes it's owner returns for it someday?

Edited by parannoyed

Sign the logbook and replace as found. :)

When you say 'been there awhile', what do you mean? Are the cache and contents in bad shape?

Definately don't remove it. It's possible that the cache hasn't been published yet or that the cache got rejected and the owner never got around to picking it up.

Did it have a GC number on it or cache owner's name or cache name, anything like that?

Geocaching.com is not the only site that lists caches.

Edited by The_Incredibles_

I wonder if the clues are in the words "historical item" and "at its base". Not sure how such things work in USA but, here in UK, we have things called Scheduled Ancient Monuments and other similar old sites where geocaches are not allowed to be placed right on the actual spot. I wonder if this was a cache submitted, turned down at review, and the owner never bothered to return and collect the box?

MrsB :)

Leave it where it is for now, and Email the details to your local reviewer who will know if it's an unfound puzzle cache, an cache that's been refused publication, or maybe one that's waiting for approval, then take action depending on the response.

This, and if at all possible, some coordinates for the marker. The Waymarking site may have them, if you didn't take any. That will be the most useful info for a reviewer to track down what's up with that container, assuming it is or ever was submitted or published as a cache on Geocaching.com.

Leave it where it is for now, and Email the details to your local reviewer who will know if it's an unfound puzzle cache, an cache that's been refused publication, or maybe one that's waiting for approval, then take action depending on the response.

This, and if at all possible, some coordinates for the marker. The Waymarking site may have them, if you didn't take any. That will be the most useful info for a reviewer to track down what's up with that container, assuming it is or ever was submitted or published as a cache on Geocaching.com.

I agree. Including the part about it could have never even been submitted. I am aware of a cache that someone stumbled on in a park (and it was definitely a Geocache, intended to be listed on Geocaching.com per the logbook) that the local reviewer in that area told the finder was never submitted. It was perfectly legal too, .3 miles from the only other cache that had ever been/still is placed in that rural town park. Eh, I just like to type, but there's an example it could never have been submitted. Definitely contact the local reviewer with the coordinates!

I wonder if the clues are in the words "historical item" and "at its base". Not sure how such things work in USA but, here in UK, we have things called Scheduled Ancient Monuments and other similar old sites where geocaches are not allowed to be placed right on the actual spot.

I envy the UK situation (not only as ancient monuments are regarded also as stone walls are regarded) - I'd like to have something similar in my country.

I'm curious, however, how the reviewers manage to do their work. Is their a catalogue of these monuments that can be searched by coordinates?

Cezanne

We are lucky in the UK in having an excellent government map, the Multi Agency Geographic Information for the Countryside (MAGIC) which shows us many land areas where we know caching is allowed or not or with permission. So ancient monuments, sensitive natural sites, nature reserves etc all appear on it. So checking a cache location is quite easy. You can see an example of how it works here. Not all countries have such a resource which makes a reviewers job more difficult.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website - www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

UK Geocaching Wiki

Geocaching.com Help Center

The local reviewer is the one who hit the publish button. You can see his log all the way at the bottom of the listing. The cache you linked to has a PA DCNR permit icon because it's in a state forest. I'm betting that the one you found either never bothered to get a permit or was denied one.

The local reviewer is the one who hit the publish button. You can see his log all the way at the bottom of the listing. The cache you linked to has a PA DCNR permit icon because it's in a state forest. I'm betting that the one you found either never bothered to get a permit or was denied one.