Geocacher of the Month problem

KBLAST

The May Featured Geocacher of the Month on the Blog has really got my blood boiling and I'm not sure what to do about it. Obviously we have 3 outstanding candidates, as always, so it's not about "my friend is better than your friend".

It's about one comment where someone actually votes AGAINST my friend, iphone.cachers. They then "anonymously" go on to berate them publicly and misrepresent ONE INCIDENT that obviously made that person angry at an event. If you'd like to see the logs for the event, it's right here.

I give all that information so that you all can give me your best unbiased opinion of what should happen here. So often in these forums you see a rant and only see one side of the story, and I want you to read as much as you want to come to your own conclusions.

As a friend, I know my opinion is skewed. I think it is absolutely disgusting that this cacher made a point to smear two well-known, generous, and loving cachers in our area on what should have been an incredible honor (just to be nominated). Unfortunately, now this person has really hurt these people. I know I'd be upset to have even been nominated if it's going to drag my name through the mud!!! I didn't realize this was a political campaign - I was under the impression the "Geocacher of the Month" was meant to be all positive!!! Is there anything that can be done or anything we can do? I'm REALLY angry!!! :mad:

Can't see the offending post on the geocaching blog - presumably deleted.

Personally, I think it's stupid for gc.com to open this up to a public vote.

You have to click on "Load more comments". It's below Crew761 and above Katherine Riley.

Thanks KBLAST for that. I haz computa skilz ... not.

I'm sorry' date=' but I can not recommend iphone.cachers as cachers of the month. I was at an event where new cachers were especially welcomed in April or May where the participants were specifically told it was not a race, they ended up making it a race with another team. Members of the two teams were grabbing log books out of people's hand while others were patiently waiting and then throwing the logbooks back in to the cache rather than handing it to the people they cut in front of. There was also people laying down in the road in order to block other geomobiles from going forward in the event. If I had been a new geocacher, I don't think I would have continued after being that rudely treated. The location where this event was held had been the sight of some very unfriendly interactions between the police and cachers previously, if the police had seen what was going on that day, there could have been more unfriendly interactions. Their actions and the actions of the other team did not positively promote geocaching that day. They sound like wonderful people and assets to the geocaching community overall but their antics that day did nothing to impress myself and several other geocachers.[/quote']

I do not remember being specifically told it was not a race. On top of that, I see no problem with two groups of friends jokingly competing with one another. As to your reference of anyone involved "grabbing log books out of people's hands," I don't know how you have edited your memory, but that CERTAINLY did NOT happen. There was one point when we (by the way, iphone.cachers is not part of this we) didn't realize that someone was waiting behind us, so we (respectfully) replaced everything in the cache as found (putting the log book back in the container and closing it up). When we stood up we realized that there were people standing behind us and we even APOLOGIZED; if we had known someone was waiting behind us, we certainly would have handed off the log book. How this got turned into "throwing the logbooks back in the cache" I cannot tell.

I see no problem with two groups of friends having some friendly competition with each other, and if we were rude, it was certainly not conscious. And personally, I think it is very rude of you to bring this up in your post. If you didn't want to vote for iphone.cachers, then simply don't post anything at all.

:drama:

Apparently I brought up a topic that either no one really cares about or I blew out of proportion or whatever. I still believe that it was wrong, not just tacky, to post a negative and vindictive comment like that, but I understand that the geocaching community at large doesn't think it's a big deal. Thanks for your input.

Thanks KBLAST for that. I haz computa skilz ... not.

I'm sorry' date=' but I can not recommend iphone.cachers as cachers of the month. I was at an event where new cachers were especially welcomed in April or May where the participants were specifically told it was not a race, they ended up making it a race with another team. Members of the two teams were grabbing log books out of people's hand while others were patiently waiting and then throwing the logbooks back in to the cache rather than handing it to the people they cut in front of. There was also people laying down in the road in order to block other geomobiles from going forward in the event. If I had been a new geocacher, I don't think I would have continued after being that rudely treated. The location where this event was held had been the sight of some very unfriendly interactions between the police and cachers previously, if the police had seen what was going on that day, there could have been more unfriendly interactions. Their actions and the actions of the other team did not positively promote geocaching that day. They sound like wonderful people and assets to the geocaching community overall but their antics that day did nothing to impress myself and several other geocachers.[/quote']

I do not remember being specifically told it was not a race. On top of that, I see no problem with two groups of friends jokingly competing with one another. As to your reference of anyone involved "grabbing log books out of people's hands," I don't know how you have edited your memory, but that CERTAINLY did NOT happen. There was one point when we (by the way, iphone.cachers is not part of this we) didn't realize that someone was waiting behind us, so we (respectfully) replaced everything in the cache as found (putting the log book back in the container and closing it up). When we stood up we realized that there were people standing behind us and we even APOLOGIZED; if we had known someone was waiting behind us, we certainly would have handed off the log book. How this got turned into "throwing the logbooks back in the cache" I cannot tell.

I see no problem with two groups of friends having some friendly competition with each other, and if we were rude, it was certainly not conscious. And personally, I think it is very rude of you to bring this up in your post. If you didn't want to vote for iphone.cachers, then simply don't post anything at all.

:drama:

While we're quoting... the event log that apparently started all of this:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LUID=36805ddf-80e3-441e-9250-fdecd3290e44

Thanks to all the people who set this event up. Despite being rudely treated by some of the cachers who decided to make this event a race when there was no reason to (this was NOT the Spring Sphinx Spree), we did have a fun day. I am just glad I wasn't a new cacher watching the behavior that happened, I don't think I would have continued caching. Honestly, I was embarrassed. But like you said, you play your way, I'll play mine. Just glad no one was hurt during all of the antics, and that the Hilliard officials didn't see since they were gracious enough to let us have an event although there were some bad past experiences between cachers and the police here before.

We absolutely love the decorated boxes, the architecture with ivy box, the town landmarks caricature box, the sunflowers box, the cornfields box and the box with the flowers and bird outside the bowling alley stand out in our minds. All of the artists should be congratulated. The stamps were beautiful and are now permanently in my letterbox journal.

Somewhere along the line I scored cache #800.

Thanks for the wonderful pathtags and fun. We took our time and got to explain and promote our sport/hobby to questioning passerbys. These type of events are what give geocaching a good name.

To KBLAST, all I can say is that the person saying these things undoubtedly has some reason for saying them. I suppose it could be something as simple as clashing personality types, but I doubt that its that simple. I prefer to believe that something occurred that gave them that opinion in the first place, You seem to be totally discounting their side of this story and making it sound as though there is absolutely no basis in fact for their claims. I'm very suspicious of that sort of blanket denial.

Despite your claims in your OP of simply wanting opinions, I have to honestly wonder why you brought this here. Sounds like some very childish interactions on all sides of this story, and this thread is one more. Sorry, but that's how it looks from this computer.

To KBLAST, all I can say is that the person saying these things undoubtedly has some reason for saying them. I suppose it could be something as simple as clashing personality types, but I doubt that its that simple. I prefer to believe that something occurred that gave them that opinion in the first place, You seem to be totally discounting their side of this story and making it sound as though there is absolutely no basis in fact for their claims. I'm very suspicious of that sort of blanket denial.

Despite your claims in your OP of simply wanting opinions, I have to honestly wonder why you brought this here. Sounds like some very childish interactions on all sides of this story, and this thread is one more. Sorry, but that's how it looks from this computer.

Knowschad - thanks for your input. I agree, she does have reason for saying them. She stated her problems with our antics on the event cache page. She did have some things occur. We purposely did NOT respond to her on the event page because we didn't want an amazing event to turn into a "forum thread". I was going to leave it alone and leave her to be unhappy, but then she took her anger out in what I deem to be an inappropriate place.

I have NO PROBLEM with her believing what we did was wrong. She is entitled to her opinion.

My question on this forum is (and I'm sorry if this was not made clear in the OP): should someone be allowed to smear a candidate for Geocacher of the Month and the post left there for an international community to see? Is that the purpose of Geocacher of the Month? If it is, I hope no one I know ever gets nominated, because I don't want my "dirty laundry" brought out for the world to see.

And my OTHER question is, is there anything I should do? Since posting earlier I discovered that someone had posted a reply (again - should that even be the place to post something like that?) and also found the email to write to Groundspeak geocacher of the month. I wrote them and am awaiting their reply.

This is something I have never seen happen in the voting for "Geocacher of the Month". I didn't find it appropriate and was offended by it. I'd like to think I would be EQUALLY offended if lulusoy or anyone else had this kind of thing done to them, but I can't say that honestly, because it was my friend who was attacked. I brought it to the forums to see how the unaffected would feel about this kind of slander, and apparently it is OK with everyone else. I get it. I don't see how this is in any way childish, but maybe that's because I'm the one who did it.

Why not send an email to geocacherofthemonth@Groundspeak.com?

A thread on the forums is just increasing the angst, and not making you feel any better. Contact someone who can actually deal with the problem.

I'm just a little shocked that one can post as "guest" on any Groundspeak page. Seems a bit lax.

B.

I think allowing people to make anonymous posts on the blog just invites stuff like this.

I agree.

The concept of allowing people to vote for a "Geocacher of the Month" (even it is well intentioned and meant to be for fun) is, in itself, an open invite for bad feelings. Mix in the ability to make anonymous posts and you've created the opportunity for a Perfect Storm of Angst.

The cacher's comments on the other page were inappropriate, but this thread is inappropriate also.

The cacher's activities at the original event may or may not be inappropriate. However to determine it, we would have to conduct an inquest and contact all of the cachers that attended, and also inquire at the police department with a questionaire about cacher behaviour in general. In the end you will only have many opinions from people who live hundreds of miles away and who never attended. If they are really that upset over one comment perhaps they should find a masseuse on Craigslist and just forget about it.

My question on this forum is (and I'm sorry if this was not made clear in the OP): should someone be allowed to smear a candidate for Geocacher of the Month

I was OK up until the point that you used the word, "smear". You might call it a smear, she probably calls it an opinion. In my opinion, yes... it was probably tacky posting it there. But there's nothing that says that comments can only be rosy.

And my OTHER question is, is there anything I should do? Since posting earlier I discovered that someone had posted a reply (again - should that even be the place to post something like that?) and also found the email to write to Groundspeak geocacher of the month. I wrote them and am awaiting their reply.

Do? :huh:

I did not mean to hurt anyone with my post here. I was legitimately concerned with what knowschad pointed out is apparently perfectly acceptable. I think it's too bad that it is, but it doesn't matter what I think, it matters what the community thinks.

That being said, I'd rather not leave a topic open that I began that adds to the hard feelings and that could continue causing problems.

Could a mod please lock this one down? Thanks.

Personally, I have an issue that there is even such a thing as 'Cacher of the Month'.

As we see here, it can only lead to jealousy and 'issues' with others.

Hmmm, Maybe we should think about reviewer of the month. That should lead to some interesting conversations.

Personally, I have an issue that there is even such a thing as 'Cacher of the Month'.

Hmmm, Maybe we should think about reviewer of the month. That should lead to some interesting conversations.

Ha. Yes. It would be some really good drama to sit back and watch!

I completely agree. It's a horrible idea and should be squashed. Just like this thread will be. IBTL.

The Featured Geocacher of the Month is designed to reward three outstanding geocachers (or geocaching teams) each month. Each of the nominees is highlighted and awarded prizes for their dedication and commitment to the greater geocaching community. One of those geocachers is further named the Featured Geocacher of the Month, as an example of generosity, creativity, and altruism in the geocaching community. The voting engages the international community, and asks fellow geocachers to vote for people, not against them. In the spirit of Geocacher of the Month - negative posts, and associated comments, are deleted. The program unites geocachers around the globe in celebrating the positive contributions of their fellow geocachers.

It’s important to note that no post is anonymous. Disqus, our commenting platform, records the email, IP address, and other information for each post.

Thank you for expressing you opinions in the forum thread.